• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Calcaneus

i watched some scenes from dead zone and man, the tone of that is waaaaaay better than the tone of the clips from the buu saga.

it was cool watching goku actually dodge attacks (which were probably rotoscoped). and using the power pole and other stuff that was from dragon ball. him not being a huge musclebound weirdo was cool too.
The fights in dead zone are some of my favorites in any DBZ thing ever. I still have a copy of it on tape from way back when it first aired on cartoon network.

i thought krillin was the strongest human fighter, and that tien wasn't a human.

Tien's human, he just has an extra eye because of whatever.

I think there was never a definitive answer who was stronger.

Piccolo just got the short stick, in general.

> Started out as being the son/re-incarnation of the "Demon King"; LOL, not anymore, he's an alien too! (I loved when TFS poked fun at that)

> Is on King Kai's planet for a while; for whatever reason, doesn't learn Kaio-ken, in spite of easily being the next Z-fighter after Goku who probably could most benefit from it, considering how Piccolo's body works

> We get hints during the Namek arc that if he "reunited with his original half", he would be even more powerful than ever, later alluded to that fusing with Kami would surpass even Goku and Vegeta's SSJ forms; it FINALLY happens...and the best we can say is that he was able to go toe to toe with 17, for all that build up.

> (Further derailment occurs, as outlined above)

Making Piccolo into "just another alien" was when I would argue his character was derailed. He was so much cooler as a Demon King who was just as capable as Goku, PLUS was teaching his greatest enemy's son techniques that might have been employed against him one day (if the possibility of him resuming his desires for a Demon World occurred again).

Yeah, it's yet another tale of Dragon Ball's lackluster storytelling, but it really saddened me to see cool characters like Tenshinhan and Piccolo fall so far from the spotlight once it became the SSJ parade.

Piccolo and Kami being aliens might have been planned before Goku as an alien was. There was something Toriyama said where he was talking about how he just makes up most stuff as he goes along, where he said that the part in the original Dragon Ball where Piccolo ("Jr.") and Kami talk in another language was supposed to be the first hint that they were actually aliens, not God and a demon.

EDIT: Dead Zone talk: The animation in that and Tree of Might is probably why the intro in North America was 90% composed of those instead of the actual show.

TreIII

Piccolo and Kami being aliens might have been planned before Goku as an alien was. There was something Toriyama said where he was talking about how he just makes up most stuff as he goes along, where he said that the part in the original Dragon Ball where Piccolo ("Jr.") and Kami talk in another language was supposed to be the first hint that they were actually aliens, not God and a demon.

I'm not at all disputing that Toriyama didn't likely have the idea of "Piccolo=alien" in mind. Just that it was a lame "twist" to go with, in my opinion.

AniHawk

Tien's human, he just has an extra eye because of whatever.

I think there was never a definitive answer who was stronger.

it probably doesn't help that krillin stuck around for a good long while when tien disappeared off the face of the earth like alicia silverstone.

guy got his arm punched off and that was pretty much it for him.

Despite it's completely obvious flaws from an objective point of view, it's pretty much the only tv show in existence where I can sit down and watch just about any episode at random (ESPECIALLY from the Android and Cell Sagas) and just sit back and have a good ass time, much like a popcorn flick.

It's pure entertainment at its best.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd say Tien is more powerful than Krillin. He was able to hold imperfect cell off for a bit, as well as deflect a blast from Buutenks. The closest thing Krillin did was slice off Frieza's tail.

Ultratech

I'll just add to this:

-Goku gets turned into a little kid by emperor pilaf because there's a second set of EVVIIIIL dragon balls that will blow up the planet unless they're brought back within a year. It's as silly as it sounds.

-annoying attempt at recapturing the spirit of OG dragon ball

-Alien Dr. Gero makes a cyborg who's "more powerful than Majin Buu" (fuck) and then makes a biological weapon Kid Buu (it's not Kid Buu, but he looks just like Kid Buu) named "Baby" (fuck) who hates saiyans and can take over people's bodies

-Baby actually manages to get to Earth while the others are dicking around finding the Dragon Balls and manages to possess several saiyans...and lay eggs in people.

-Planet Vegeta comes back as Earth's second moon

-some bullshit occurs

-ss4 jesus christ

-Piccolo dies permanently on the exploding Earth to keep the evil dragon balls from hurting anyone ever again

-Alien Dr. Gero and Real Dr. Gero team up in Hell to make a Hell Android 17 who fuses with Earth Android 17 to create a hell portal and whatever the fuck and gets goku stuck in hell and piccolo gets himself sent to hell forever so that he can save goku

-Attempting to fix all this stupid nonsense with the real Dragon Balls causes the one half-way good idea that the show had: "what if overusing the dragon balls every time you had a problem actually broke them, because they scattered all over the planet for a reason" and the reason is evil dragon people wait okay the good idea passed

-goku goes and fights the evil dragons...only to beat all but the last one, who re-absorbs the Dragon Balls and becomes "Omega Shenron". Everyone has their asses kicked for a bit.

-ssj4 gogeta god fucking damn it

-some more bs occurs, goku wins, and shenron shows up telling everyone to piss off and solve their own issues without the dragon balls

-goku absorbs the dragon balls (he's still a kid whenever he's not ss4, btw) and flies away with shenron... somewhere

-a bad epilogue

Regardless, GT is just silly stuff. At least it's only 64 episodes...

Conor 419

Banned
Just watched all 30 episodes, I think it's safe to say that this should be taken as canon and the 'actual' series deserves to be disregarded.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The only "evidence" for krillin being stronger than tien is yamcha telling his kid how amazingly strong krillin is. But there's absolutely nothing to indicate it was anything more thtan yamcha trying to make marron feel good about her father or a slight exaggeration by yamcha.

especially since AT no point did krillin ever seem to surpass Tien. He was weaker than tien at the tenkaichi budokai. He was weaker than tien during the King Piccolo saga (and also, he was dead :p). He was weaker 3 years later at the world martial arts tournament again. He was weaker 5 years after THAT at the beginning of the saiyan saga. He was weaker 1 year after that when vegeta and nappa arrived.

The only time Krillin might have surpassed Tien was in the days/weeks after receiving a powerup from guru. But Tien always had more natural talent than Krillin, and he also trained more. Krillin trained kind of at a leisurely pace with Master Roshi while Tien was up in the mountains devoting himself fully to his training, and then Krillin stopped fighting altogether so he could raise a family.

I can't see any reason why Krillin would be stronger than Tien.

Conor 419

Banned
The only "evidence" for krillin being stronger than tien is yamcha telling his kid how amazingly strong krillin is. But there's absolutely nothing to indicate it was anything more thtan yamcha trying to make marron feel good about her father or a slight exaggeration by yamcha.

especially since AT no point did krillin ever seem to surpass Tien. He was weaker than tien at the tenkaichi budokai. He was weaker than tien during the King Piccolo saga (and also, he was dead :p). He was weaker 3 years later at the world martial arts tournament again. He was weaker 5 years after THAT at the beginning of the saiyan saga. He was weaker 1 year after that when vegeta and nappa arrived.

The only time Krillin might have surpassed Tien was in the days/weeks after receiving a powerup from guru. But Tien always had more natural talent than Krillin, and he also trained more. Krillin trained kind of at a leisurely pace with Master Roshi while Tien was up in the mountains devoting himself fully to his training, and then Krillin stopped fighting altogether so he could raise a family.

I can't see any reason why Krillin would be stronger than Tien.

Yeah, I'd say Tien was stronger.

However, let's not forget how they dealt with Yamcha and Chiaotzu. Yamcha who randomly varied in strength through the series but never really achieved anything, and fucking Chiaotzu who never aged and despite training for an equal amount of time as Tien. Never really got in a single fight.

AniHawk

having never seen dragonball, i never understood the point of chiaotzu. i at least got that yamcha, krillen, and tien were all somewhat major characters in dragonball (as fighters), but chiaotzu showed up a relatively large amount of time doing nothing.

tangent: i think the first episode i saw was at the end of the saiyan saga in 1997. it was the one where yajirobe cut vegeta. krillen ready to do vegeta in with the sword at the end of it made him my favorite character too. it was the ocean dub, so everyone sounded not annoying as fuck.

seriously, krillen was cool, goku was cool, piccolo was cool, and vegeta was awesome. low-key, raspy-voiced vegeta > gravelly-yellingtime vegeta all day every day.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I still think the Cell era was worse than Buu. It just never sat right with me that the Super Saiyan form was demoted from the once-in-a-thousand-years fulfillment of a legend that avenged the entire race's genocide into a routine power-up required to remain relevant. SS2 (Super Super Saiyan lol) was pretty much the point where I figured the author was out of ideas and I just kind of lost interest in the series altogether. Never did like how a bunch of home-grown robots were stronger than the tyrant of the entire universe too, and there was never really a moment of tension as good as the end of Namek imo. The power creep was just too much and I kind of liked the fact that the Buu saga just ignored power level logic and seemed to take itself less seriously altogether. When I finally did get around to watching Buu years later I was kind of surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Candy Vegito, spelunking in Buu's innards, and Mr. Satan actually doing legit work were all hilarious imo.

having never seen dragonball, i never understood the point of chiaotzu.
Yamcha:Tien::Krillin:Chiaotzu. Rival counterparts for the two fighting dojos. Or at least that's the only thing I could come up with anyway.

having never seen dragonball, i never understood the point of chiaotzu. i at least got that yamcha, krillen, and tien were all somewhat major characters in dragonball (as fighters), but chiaotzu showed up a relatively large amount of time doing nothing.

The older I get the more I see DB as vastly superior to DBZ, it would be best to read the mangas to learn about chiaotzu first hand.

Volimar

The older I get the more I see DB as vastly superior to DBZ, it would be best to read the mangas to learn about chiaotzu first hand.

It's crazy to think how old DB is. Way back when I was a kid I saw the original cartoon. I remember being freaked out at Goku cooking and eating the wolves...

It's crazy to think how old DB is. Way back when I was a kid I saw the original cartoon. I remember being freaked out at Goku cooking and eating the wolves...

I went through DB at least a decade after I finished DBZ, the sort of rawness you talk about is a bit shocking, naked Goku's package ect.

GaimeGuy

Yamcha:Tien::Krillin:Chiaotzu. Rival counterparts for the two fighting dojos. Or at least that's the only thing I could come up with anyway.

What? No.

Yamcha was never a match for Tien in Dragon Ball. Nor was Krillin. And he beat goku (though it was basically a draw) for the tenkaichi title.

The only people as strong or stronger than tien in dragon ball are goku and piccolo (well, and kami). The next closest person to tien is probably yajirobe, actually.

Tien's only fight with Yamcha resulted in Yamcha having his leg broken. Rather easily.

Takao

Banned
Chaotzu is at his best in the alternate take movie. I think it was Mystical Adventure or something, where he's EVIL RULER CHAOTZU.

Window

What? No.

Yamcha was never a match for Tien in Dragon Ball. Nor was Krillin. And he beat goku (though it was basically a draw) for the tenkaichi title.

The only people as strong or stronger than tien in dragon ball are goku and piccolo (well, and kami). The next closest person to tien is probably yajirobe, actually.

Tien's only fight with Yamcha resulted in Yamcha having his leg broken. Rather easily.

Isn't Master Roshi = Tien in DB? (oh god what am I doing).

GaimeGuy

That wasn't a power level analogy...

I would hardly call yamcha and tien rivals, though. I think you're focussing way too much on the frames of the characters with your analogy. Maybe if you put goku in place of yamcha in your analogy I'd agree.

GaimeGuy

Isn't Master Roshi = Tien in DB? (oh god what am I doing).

No, Tien was much stronger. He basically laughed at Roshi's speed, power, and techniques, and Roshi, understanding that he was outmatched in all aspects, forfeited, knowing that the martial arts would not stagnate so long as people as gifted as Tien and Goku were around.

(What are you doing?)

Window

No, Tien was much stronger. He basically laughed at Roshi's speed, power, and techniques, and Roshi, understanding that he was outmatched in all aspects, forfeited, knowing that the martial arts would not stagnate so long as people as gifted as Tien and Goku were around.

(What are you doing?)

I haven't seen DB in a long while so yeah I'm probably wrong but I thought he deliberately lost to Tien because winning against him would not change his character and Roshi wanted to redeem him or something.

(I should be studying for a lab but here I am thinking about DB of all things).

jaxword

I like how we could LITERALLY (yes LITERALLY) transplant this discussion into the internet 10 years ago, word for word, and it'd still completely 100% fit. And would also come to the same conclusions (or lack thereof).

Tien is stronger than Yamcha, below Piccolo. Krillen is a bit of a wildcard since we don't know how much his pre-tournament training in Buu went, but probably below Tien. Though in the anime filler Krillin did manage to slightly damage Buu, whereas Tien's best shot didn't even make him flinch. Also, I'm 9 years old and just downloaded Link1n Park - In Th3 end.mp3 off this new thing called Napster, you guys ever heard of it? It's like this fiile sharing program, I think, but my dad will probably make me delete it tonight. +__+

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tien is stronger than Krillin, but Krillin likely has some comic relief plot armor to make up the difference.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I like how we could LITERALLY (yes LITERALLY) transplant this discussion into the internet 10 years ago, word for word, and it'd still completely 100% fit. And would also come to the same conclusions (or lack thereof).
Change that to 15 years ago and you'd still be right. I recall participating in some of that back then.

jaxword

Change that to 15 years ago and you'd still be right. I recall participating in some of that back then.

The only thing MORE argued about on the internet is Kirk versus Picard (sometimes with Vader involved), and that's just because they had a 10 year headstart.

That's basically what the internet was invented for.

Tien is stronger than Krillin, but Krillin likely has some comic relief plot armor to make up the difference.

...You are proposing that the character who died MORE TIMES THAN ANYONE ELSE had PLOT ARMOR? Hahahahaha

seriously, krillen was cool, goku was cool, piccolo was cool, and vegeta was awesome. low-key, raspy-voiced vegeta > gravelly-yellingtime vegeta all day every day.

Zarbon: All right Vegeta, what did you do with the Dragon Balls?
Fucking Awesome Raspy Bryan Drummond Vegeta: ...I lost them.

Favorite line in the ocean dub

Ultratech

I do remember reading promo mats for one of the DBZ games on the GBA and it straight up said that Krillin was the strongest human on earth.

Although, I've watched a large chunk of DB & DBZ, so the Tien > Krillin argument does hold true to a pretty large extent.

It's funny how looking back, nearly every one of Goku's friends was a huge jerk until they met him:

-Bulma tried to shoot him and just wanted to use the Dragon Balls to get a boyfriend, "forgot" to tell Goku that his grandpa's Dragon Ball would fly away after the wish was made
-Oolong was using his powers to kidnap women to be part of his harem
-Yamcha and Puar were thieves who tried to rob Goku and Bulma
-Krillin was an arrogant jerk who just wanted to be strong so he could get revenge on bullies
-Tien and Chiaotzu were the snide disciples of a murderous old bastard, and looked up to a literal assassin as a hero
-Piccolo was a Demon King who killed a bunch of people, then his reincarnation came back in a younger form and tried to kill Goku to take over the world
-Vegeta failed to kill anybody but he sure hit them real hard

It's funny how looking back, nearly every one of Goku's friends was a huge jerk until they met him:

-Bulma tried to shoot him and just wanted to use the Dragon Balls to get a boyfriend, "forgot" to tell Goku that his grandpa's Dragon Ball would fly away after the wish was made
-Oolong was using his powers to kidnap women to be part of his harem
-Yamcha and Puar were thieves who tried to rob Goku and Bulma
-Krillin was an arrogant jerk who just wanted to be strong so he could get revenge on bullies
-Tien and Chiaotzu were the snide disciples of a murderous old bastard, and looked up to a literal assassin as a hero
-Piccolo was a Demon King who killed a bunch of people, then his reincarnation came back in a younger form and tried to kill Goku to take over the world
-Vegeta failed to kill anybody but he sure hit them real hard

It continues further:
-Android 16 and 18 both wanted Goku dead. The latter was also genocidal, and in some timelines is responsible for the fall of civilization.
-Hercule mocked Goku, and profited obscenely off of Gohan defeating Cell by taking all the credit. (though he does share the wealth, at least.
-I'm pretty sure Dabura did some unsavory things as the king of Hell. (I forget, why did he switch sides again?)

jaxword

The running theme of Goku's character is that even though he is obsessed with fighting, there's no malice, he simply loves to fight. He is happy to make friends with his defeated enemies. Especially if it means they'll come back and fight again--he flat out says this is his motivation multiple times from start til end.

He's a bit more hotheaded and impulsive as a little kid but he outgrows that as an adult when he meets Piccolo.

An interesting detail is that he doesn't actually kill ANYONE in Dragonball Z, with the minor exception of Yakon who simply ate too much of his energy.

GaimeGuy

It continues further:
-Android 16 and 18 both wanted Goku dead. The latter was also genocidal, and in some timelines is responsible for the fall of civilization.
-Hercule mocked Goku, and profited obscenely off of Gohan defeating Cell by taking all the credit. (though he does share the wealth, at least.
-I'm pretty sure Dabura did some unsavory things as the king of Hell. (I forget, why did he switch sides again?)

Lol, he didn't really switch sides. He was sent to heaven because he'd enjoy it in hell since he was ruler of the demon realm (some shadow dimension/universe, maybe the same one goku rescues that princess from in dragon ball?)

IIRC, everything with him actually being all happy and stuff in heaven was filler added to the anime. He's never mentioned in the manga after yemma says he sent him to heaven as punishment :p

Seda

The running theme of Goku's character is that even though he is obsessed with fighting, there's no malice, he simply loves to fight. He is happy to make friends with his defeated enemies. Especially if it means they'll come back and fight again--he flat out says this is his motivation multiple times from start til end.

He's a bit more hotheaded and impulsive as a little kid but he outgrows that as an adult when he meets Piccolo.

An interesting detail is that he doesn't actually kill ANYONE in Dragonball Z, with the minor exception of Yakon who simply ate too much of his energy.

And Kid Buu kinda.

GaimeGuy

Well... he killed Frieza and King Kold in Future Trunks's timeline (God I would have loved to have seen that as part of the history of trunks special), and sort of killed Buu.

If you look at his time as a kid he's pretty ruthless, though. I'm pretty sure he killed most of the red ribbon grunts that got in his way since he was always making graves for them after beating them, lbowing up their planes, etc. Also killed most of the officers like yellow and black that he fought that didnt't get killed by another RR member first.

BHZ Mayor

Well you would have to add in the ragefits that certain people would have upon seeing "Tien" instead of "Tenshinhan" or "SS" instead of "SSJ". You know, the "purists" who INSIST on using the romanized spellings for everything and think that anything other the JP version subbed is an affront to all existence.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well you would have to add in the ragefits that certain people would have upon seeing "Tien" instead of "Tenshinhan" or "SS" instead of "SSJ". You know, the "purists" who INSIST on using the romanized spellings for everything and think that anything other the JP version subbed is an affront to all existence.

I do like that The Abridged Series uses both Tien and Tenshinhan interchangeably. Extra funny since one of Tien's running gags is making fun of weeaboos who get mad if you don't use the proper spelling.

On GT: I imagine if TFS did it, it would be like the movies. Where they'd cover an arc at a time rather than spread it out over a few episodes.
I do wonder what they'll do next when DBZ is done. I've heard One Piece is a possibility, there hasn't been a good abridged series of that.

speaking of the original DB, i am watching that right now (up to season 2 so far) and absolutely loving it having NEVER seen ANY DB show before...

I feel like when i will be done with it i should just let it rest, as DBZ is more about the actual fights and less about the feel of adventure as far as i heard correct? Or is DBZ still worth watching at this point?

speaking of the original DB, i am watching that right now (up to season 2 so far) and absolutely loving it having NEVER seen ANY DB show before...

I feel like when i will be done with it i should just let it rest, as DBZ is more about the actual fights and less about the feel of adventure as far as i heard correct? Or is DBZ still worth watching at this point?
Yes its still great just skip through the filler and move on to the great fight scenes.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

Hell yeah. It will totally touch all of your muffin buttons.

Yes, it's still worth watching.

It's worth going through, just becomes more and more about the big picture and less about the charters interacting.

It's on of the reasons why I love the Great Saiyaman arc so much, just people interacting and relationships developing, would love hundreds of episodes about Gohan in Highschool but sadly they rushed the show to rush into it's worst faze.

Lol, he didn't really switch sides. He was sent to heaven because he'd enjoy it in hell since he was ruler of the demon realm (some shadow dimension/universe, maybe the same one goku rescues that princess from in dragon ball?)

IIRC, everything with him actually being all happy and stuff in heaven was filler added to the anime. He's never mentioned in the manga after yemma says he sent him to heaven as punishment :p

Oh.... I missed those episodes explaining that, and always wondered what led to that. I just assumed he became a good guy since he could be used as a hero in the DBZ card game, haha.

Top Bottom