• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

tigerin

Lol, Krillin yelling like that when he got wished back.

How could you not know that? Namek goes on forever, the race to Namek goes on forever (the trope was called "Are they on Namek yet?" before "Are they out of the Soul Society yet?"), plus although kinda short the Saiyan saga was still part of the first "arc."

all i know is that cartoon network and my basic channel played raditz-ginyu force saga for a few years before they release new episode.

KevinCow

Banned
Wait, I could have sworn
Dende made new dragon balls or something after Guru died
. Am I remembering wrong? Or does this just happen at a different point?

I honestly barely remember anything that happens... well, period - it's been forever since I watched an episode of DBZ - but especially after this. I know there are the androids and Cell, then Buu, but I only occasionally caught episodes during the android/Cell saga, and I think I saw like two episodes of the Buu saga. But I enjoyed Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged even though I've never seen an episode of that show in my life, so I'm sure I'll still enjoy DBZ Abridged from here on. Honestly, that may be the preferable way to experience the rest of the show, seeing how DBZ Abridged up to now has arguably told the story better than the show itself.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dende comes back midway through the Cell arc after Piccolo merges with Kami, leaving the Earth's Guardian job vacant.

Edit- And you miss a lot by just watching Abridged. It's like comparing popcorn to a steak. You get the same kind of gist but one's not really comparable to the other.

It's implied that Yamcha cheated on Bulma, though it's kept as ambiguous as possible.
Really? I never picked up on this before, but then again I never did get to watch that part of the show in a format faithful to the JP version so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something they removed from the original dub.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Finally, it's over.

I still feel like they could have made this section shorter, but w/e. I'll continue to watch.

They didn't mention the spirit bomb, did they?

McNum

Finally, it's over.

I still feel like they could have made this section shorter, but w/e. I'll continue to watch.

They didn't mention the spirit bomb, did they?
It was there. In episode 29, if I remember right.

Season 2 was pretty much two seasons, though. Pre Ginyu Force and post Ginyu Force. The Ginyu episodes even had their own theme music.

All in all, it's a pretty big improvement they've made since the first episodes, but I'm glad they're still keeping it just silly enough, and still use deliberately bad photoshops.

Also, yay!
Muffin Button!
Who knew Freeza had one of those?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh yeah, Muffin Button bit killed me.

The Godzirra bit was funny for the first two seconds but then overplayed.

jaxword

Really? I never picked up on this before, but then again I never did get to watch that part of the show in a format faithful to the JP version so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something they removed from the original dub.

It was a one-off line by Trunks who briefly said Yamcha wasn't always faithful and so one day she just turned to Vegeta and boom.

Toriyama has said he's no good at writing anything romance related so he left it alllllll offscreen.

Cheerilee

First Yamcha was deathly afraid of girls, then he was okay but only around Bulma, then he wanted to marry her. After Namek, he enjoyed looking at sexy girls in the gym, suggesting that his fear of girls was wearing off, but not necessarily that he was ready to cheat.

Bulma never really loved Yamcha. She liked that he had a massive power level and that he wasn't as short as Krillin or green as Piccolo or as old as Master Roshi. She falls for every attractive guy in the series. She wanted Zarbon just a few episodes ago.

Yamcha knew he was finished as soon as Vegeta moved into Bulma's backyard and started demanding that she serve him, and Yamcha was forced to admit that he couldn't compete with Vegeta physically.

Future Trunks said that he was born while Yamcha and Bulma were having a fight, and that Goku can't tell them about it or prevent it from happening, otherwise he'll never be born. And then the timeline gets changed and Yamcha and Vegeta both spend three years training to fight the androids. And Trunks is born in spite of that change.

If it happened in two radically different timelines, it was always going to happen. It's inevitable that Yamcha was going to notice other girls, and it's inevitable that Bulma was going to dump Yamcha and boink Vegeta at the drop of a hat. The idea that Yamcha cheated is just a way to make Bulma seem like less of a slutty whore.

Cipherr

I mean. Lol I cannot wait to see what they do with the Gohan transformation and Cell and whatnot. Trunks and the 2 Android too. Man.... Vegetas SS transformation? Long way away but it should be hilarious.

Suairyu

Banned
What always annoyed me about Vegeta's first (onscreen) transformation against the Androids was that it took so long. Same with Trunks against Freiza. There was no reason for that.

jaxword

They're planning on doing Garlic, but are taking a break for the summer. This will likely incorporate some degree of Dead Zone in it.

What always annoyed me about Vegeta's first (onscreen) transformation against the Androids was that it took so long. Same with Trunks against Freiza. There was no reason for that.

He was just showing off.
He transformed again for Goku and it took him only 1 second that time to do it.

Natiko

Banned
Really liked the 'finale' of the season. Good to see them keep it funny as the time passes. Looking forward to seeing more whenever they return.

I like the implication that Krillin
spent four months in the afterlife doing nothing but screaming

Going back to the beginning, the very first few episodes are pretty painful to watch now. Just full of memes and adult swim callouts. They've improved exponentially both in comedy and production values as they've went on.

Shouta

The idea that Yamcha cheated is just a way to make Bulma seem like less of a slutty whore.

Unfortunately, Bulma will always be the slutty whore! Yamcha didn't deserve that kind of treatment! But then again, everyone that wasn't a Saiyan shouldn't have gotten that treatment. Tien got a little bit of cool stuff to do, barely but everyone else is just fodder.

Poor Freeza also ending up jobbing to Trunks was so stupid and sad, but funny.

I was always ambivalent towards that. On the one hand, it seemed lame that Frieza was able to come back from all that, just to get one-shot'd. On the other hand, it seemed fitting that the son of the Sayian prince was able to avenge his people (though I'm sure that was the last thing Trunks cared about).

Unfortunately, Bulma will always be the slutty whore! Yamcha didn't deserve that kind of treatment! But then again, everyone that wasn't a Saiyan shouldn't have gotten that treatment. Tien got a little bit of cool stuff to do, barely but everyone else is just fodder.

Freeza was coming off a legit injury, his time as a top heel was over, feeding him to Trunks was the right movie, the problem was Trunks and Goku not having a real program just one fight ,that was given away on free TV!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Freeza was coming off a legit injury, his time as a top heel was over, feeding him to Trunks was the right movie, the problem was Trunks and Goku not having a real program just one fight ,that was given away on free TV!

Well, we would have gotten a Trunks/Gohan final if it wasn't for the run-in by Bojack's crew! ;P

Anth0ny

haha well said.

Trunks was easily the coolest character in DBZ at that point. Got over instantly.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Didn't Toriyama intend to end the series after Freeza? I know he had plans to end it after Emperor Pilaf (but it got popular so he kept going) and Cell (editors forced him) but some parts felt like Freeza was the grand finale.

So how many episodes have they covered here?

Counting the Saiyan Saga, 107 episodes. Condensed into 30. Impressive feat for KaiserNeko.

Seda

Didn't Toriyama intend to end the series after Freeza? I know he had plans to end it after Emperor Pilaf (but it got popular so he kept going) and Cell (editors forced him) but some parts felt like Freeza was the grand finale.

I'm not sure about your question.

But somewhat related, I really liked how they did the ending to DBZ Kai with the except of where that leaves Vegeta. I'm pretty sure his last line in the dub is "I will never fight again" which seems so unlike him :/

I'm not sure about your question.

But somewhat related, I really liked how they did the ending to DBZ Kai with the except of where that leaves Vegeta. I'm pretty sure his last line in the dub is "I will never fight again" which seems so unlike him :/

If I remember right, that line's directly out of the manga. So that sounds pretty faithful.

Counting the Saiyan Saga, 107 episodes. Condensed into 30. Impressive feat for KaiserNeko.

I don't know if I can dig up the link, but I remember reading somewhere that Toriyama had always intended the story to go at least a little bit beyond Frieza Saga. I think Vegeta was originally the final villain.

Dereck

It fit Vegeta's character, he wanted everyone to know how he transformed, I agree that it was unnecessary though.

Top Bottom