• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

MMaRsu

I guess it depends on the version. Last version I saw, was the orange brick subbed, and I'm pretty sure that's how the exchange went, but it was probably different in the dub.

Yup that's how it went down :). He just said you know I defeated you already, you suck ass, so get to training maybe you'll stand a chance some day.

Stupid Goku haha.

Where he told him he didn't want to see his face was from the original manga. I'll double check on it later, but from what I remember it went something like, "Omee no tsura wa mou mitakuneeze/I don't wanna see your face anymore".

You got me there. The only bit of the DBZ manga I've read was the Sayian arc, and even then, it was the "official" English translation. But I distinctly remember Goku suggesting to Frieza that he train and challenge him again somewhere in the anime.

I've said this before in another thread, but I still think Garlic Jr. Saga was filler done correctly. There was still conflict, quite a bit of action, and it gave several side characters a chance to shine. Plus, the end fight was a bit more involved than a beam struggle/spirit bomb shenanigans.

That said, I see them doing Garlic Jr. Saga as a side movie (like Lord Slug) than as part of the actual continuity.
Yeah, Garlic Jr. Saga was pretty much DBZ without a lot of DBZ's problems, it's one of my favorite parts in the series despite being filler and not manga canon.

usea

Am I the only person that finds these things incredibly unfunny? I really don't mean to poop the party but man they're bad. So awful. :(

Funny thing about the 5 minutes: IIRC in the manga, Goku actually does call out Frieza on it being way more than 5 minutes, to which Frieza grudgingly admits that he might have overestimated it a little.

"I'm going to break you...like a Kit Kat bar!" is the best one-liner ever. Looking forward to Part 3. I wasn't a big fan of DBZ, but I've seen chunks of it, notably Raditz, the Ginyu Force, Goku's fight with Freiza, and the Cell Games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Do you know what a minute is?"

Vegeta's reaction to the Nameks killing Guru.
KuGsj.gif

Laughed so hard. This show's still got it. Part 2 is even better than the first.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They really should do GT, I mean the material practically writes itself. One of the problems YGOTAS and SMA are facing is that the later material isn't as humorous as the early stuff, and the dub isn't as bad, so it's not nearly as funny and they have to "try hard" to make jokes. I don't know if it'll be a problem with TFS, but it's a possibility. If DBZA stops being funny, they could do GT.

Then again, getting distracted with abridging Season Zero and the movies and a bunch of other things bogged LK down, so maybe they should hold off on GT.

I'm split on GT Abridged. It's so fucking bad that it does write itself, but having to watch and edit and voice over GT would be like torture for TFS. Buu is stretching it as it is.

And they'll never get to YGOTAS levels unless they suddenly decided to do Garlic Jr. and have his minions be "wacky" parodies of Funimation while barely trimming the time down at all so they can fit in more internet memes.

Tizoc

Oh man these 2 parts was friggin' hilarious XD
Only thing I didn't like was
The guru reveal.
...but Mr. Popo asking 'the fuck are we doing?' Had me ROFLing

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd guess Sailor Moon Abridged. I think that was one of the earlier abridged shows.

Going strong at 51 episodes currently. They said they're going to finish up SM's second arc (only a few eps left) and the second movie and then they'll be done with it.

1-30 of SMA is some of the funniest abridging ever, to me at least. But you have to really get "into" the series, it's a lot funnier if you roll with the punches and the running jokes.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DBZA is much better than SMA, even simply talking about characterization. Sure, psycho Rei and more-shy Ami are fine, but trans Makoto and slut Minako just aren't funny.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DBZA is much better than SMA, even simply talking about characterization. Sure, psycho Rei and more-shy Ami are fine, but trans Makoto and slut Minako just aren't funny.

Of course, TFS is still the king, if only because of its consistent greatness. It's also the only abridged series so far not to just "coast" on the "characters" it's invented and rehashing the same jokes.

That said, I've laughed the hardest at some of SMA's jokes. They're not as smart, but they're funnier (to me.) Maybe that comes down to delivery. KrisRix absolutely nails psycho Rei's lines, every single time.

I was eating when I got to the "is this working? are these inverted controls?" part. It was a mistake, I had to stop myself from laughing with food in my mouth.

Am I the only person that finds these things incredibly unfunny? I really don't mean to poop the party but man they're bad. So awful. :(

Yes.

I cracked up hard on the rewatch. SSJ Goku is especially hilarious. He seems to border on the edge of coherence and sanity, with deviations into abject stupidity and badassedness.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You got me there. The only bit of the DBZ manga I've read was the Sayian arc, and even then, it was the "official" English translation. But I distinctly remember Goku suggesting to Frieza that he train and challenge him again somewhere in the anime.

That's essentially the argument Goku presents King Kai with when Kai's telling him it's idiotic to let Freezia go.

1stStrike

Banned
I feel sad. Out of the 3 parts of the last episode of season 2 I laughed only a few times. I honestly didn't find it that funny compared to their earlier stuff - seems like the season just got less and less funny as it progressed.

;_;

I feel sad. Out of the 3 parts of the last episode of season 2 I laughed only a few times. I honestly didn't find it that funny compared to their earlier stuff - seems like the season just got less and less funny as it progressed.

;_;

This least episode was pretty weak, but overall the series has gotten much better over time.

Go back and watch, like, Episode 2 or 3. See how far you get before cringing at how awkward or amateur things seem. Then jump to a couple episodes after they land on Namek and it almost never lets up from there (except maybe the overuse of the Zarbon gay jokes).

AniHawk

man, cell/android stuff sure takes up a huge fucking chunk of the show. i didn't know it was basically the same amount of time as all the previous episodes put together.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol, Krillin yelling like that when he got wished back.

man, cell/android stuff sure takes up a huge fucking chunk of the show. i didn't know it was basically the same amount of time as all the previous episodes put together.

How could you not know that? Namek goes on forever, the race to Namek goes on forever (the trope was called "Are they on Namek yet?" before "Are they out of the Soul Society yet?"), plus although kinda short the Saiyan saga was still part of the first "arc."

AniHawk

How could you not know that? Namek goes on forever, the race to Namek goes on forever (the trope was called "Are they on Namek yet?" before "Are they out of the Soul Society yet?"), plus although kinda short the Saiyan saga was still part of the first "arc."

i don't think i was watching it as frequently in middle school when cell games and stuff were on, so it just seemed like less stuff to take in overall.

plus i kinda separate the vegeta stuff from the frieza stuff.

Top Bottom