• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Neoxon

You guys think they'll recast Older Teen Gohan now that the VA they originally cast (who voiced Cloud for FFVIIMA) is now knee-deep in Funimation work?

Tizoc

Could someone elaborate on the
Android 16 video they found?
Trying to wrap my head around it but I'm getting nada @_@

ag-my001

They're saying 16 was Gero's son, I think.
The video was made just as Goku was rampaging the Red Ribbon base in original DB.

Great episode. That video was amazing.

Android 16 was designed after Dr Gero's dead son. That dark ass video set up Goku as his killer.

Whistle callback, haha. Also: YES, finally, DENDE. We missed him.
Can we just all agree that Namekians are the best characters on this show?
(liked how they set up the ending with "does the fat green one come back?" "I wish." . The writing is a lot on its own versus the show now, yet it still works as it. Neat. )

His voice seems a little bit different though. Not much, but a little. Also sounds like Android 13 is doing Mr. Satan.

Murder.exe is an actual file. And you can hear Goku saying Kamehameha offscreen, which is how he wasted Black at the end of the Red Ribbon arc in DB. Or the base, forget which. Probably both. Either way, Android 16 is modeled after Gero's son and that bit was how he died in this show's canon now. It was weird that Gero had a son we had never seen, yet somehow Android 16, courtesy of Akira Toriyama himself, is modeled after him. So now you know. Goku is an asshole.

edit: spoilertagged the whole post for good measure.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The way he scratched the back of his head reminded me of Gumshoe in the Phoenix Wright series.

TreIII

"Hey~"

Dende having a
serious love jones for Gohan
makes me laugh so much. Wonder how that will play out as time goes on.

Something felt off with the sound mixing in Satan's scene. I'm surprised they don't try at all to link the abridged movies to the series. Return of Cooler ended with Dende on Earth and I was expecting a Broly tease at the end of this episode. Good episode though. Was the guy interviewing Cell in the original DBZ? He's not in Kai and I remember very little of normal DBZ.

Arrrammis

Something felt off with the sound mixing in Satan's scene. I'm surprised they don't try at all to link the abridged movies to the series. Return of Cooler ended with Dende on Earth and I was expecting a Broly tease at the end of this episode. Good episode though. Was the guy interviewing Cell in the original DBZ? He's not in Kai and I remember very little of normal DBZ.

They've previous mentioned that they consider all of the movies to be non-canon, and have no effect on the main storylines. The interviewer guy was in the original DBZ (I saw the original episode a few weeks ago), but Cell killed him instantly instead of talking about anything.

Honestly that episode should've excised the Gero video and the Tv interviewer subplot.

Kudos for animating that section on their own but it didn't really add anything.

They've previous mentioned that they consider all of the movies to be non-canon, and have no effect on the main storylines. The interviewer guy was in the original DBZ (I saw the original episode a few weeks ago), but Cell killed him instantly instead of talking about anything.

His name is Mr. Perfect Cell

Honestly that episode should've excised the Gero video and the Tv interviewer subplot.

Kudos for animating that section on their own but it didn't really add anything.

I'd say it added a little oomph to Gero and Android 16's pretty dry characters by expanding on a tidbit Toriyama just threw out one interview. Not really needed, sure, but it's a cool what-if moment that doubles as a character appreciation and a neat callback for old Dragonball fans.

Tv interviewer could have been nixxed but P.Cell is a joy.

Kaiser said on /r/dbz that the Broly movie in December(?) is apparently going to be 35 min at the shortest.

Holy shit.

Broly was the longest of the original DBZ movies (72 minutes when the others averaged around 50), so it makes sense that the DBZA version is also super long.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
DBCember has begun

Two years ago was the best moments. Last year was the best movies/specials. This year it's the best villains.
Super will not be included, but surprisingly GT will.

Also, Broly is coming Christmas.

Kalentan

You know. Rewatching the movies. I don't know why but I'm always surprised that Lani does Piccolo. Like, when you hear him playing games in TFS Gaming, you can hear where the Vegeta voice comes from but I feel like Piccolo just sounds so different.

Hell doesn't he also do Master Roshi? It's honestly really impressive.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dende having the hots for Gohan
came off more eye brow raising than funny.

That 16 video was...pretty dark. Really shouldn't have bothered with it, imo.

Speaking of which, why did Gero consider him a failure exactly? I mean, yeah I know, he's a peaceful android for the most part, but he still maintained the prime directive of killing Goku. I mean, if nothing else, you'd think that he'd feel safer activating him than the 17 and 18, especially considering their previous displays of rebelliousness.

Tizoc

Speaking of which, why did Gero consider him a failure exactly? I mean, yeah I know, he's a peaceful android for the most part, but he still maintained the prime directive of killing Goku. I mean, if nothing else, you'd think that he'd feel safer activating him than the 17 and 18, especially considering their previous displays of rebelliousness.

Oh
I thought Dende having the hots for Gohan was from the Namek saga :x

Ray Down

Banned
A dark horse might actually be Piccolo.

Kinda sad they aren't including Super at all, I'd like to see where they rank Zamasu.

I imagine Piccolo or King Piccolo will be Number 2 and with Vegeta that will depend if they classify him as a villain but I would still put him at 2 or 3.

In terms of villains in DB its hard to top Frieza with his voice (Both anime and abridge), his transformations, his violent acts throughout his arc and the reactions his mere presence and actions caused.

Veelk

Banned
Frieza is the most iconic villain, but he might not be the most interesting. He's just a straightforward evil emperor. In comparison, the androids feel more like regular people who may be evil in a sense, but their not driven by pure malice and have had shit happen to them to be evil. Then they also change more, as with 18 becoming a member of the Z team.

I don't know if I'd call Buu a singular character, but I did find his changing personality interesting. I doubt many people are gonna agree with me on Buu though. But that might be because of me having first watched dbz on the Buu saga

Hmm, see the thing about Frieza to me is that he's easily Toriyama's most fully realized villain. The way he keeps the cast hidden underground and using guerrilla tactics, the affable but detached way he interacts with the Namekians and his henchmen, hell even his body language when he fights. To me he feels like a full on character instead of 'just a threat' like his successors. I feel like Frieza has (or had) a life and existence outside of fighting the main cast.

The Androids are undercut almost immediately by Cell, and Cell himself never really tops his initial meeting with Piccolo.

The Future versions of the Androids are bolstered by the fact that the History of Trunks special is one of the few things in the franchise to evoke genuine pathos, but as characters they're shallow enough to be replaced with any other threat.

Buu is a fun, classic Toriyama concept for a villain, and his later incarnations (Super Buu, Kid Buu) have fantastic menacing body language, but don't amount to much more character wise than "strong guy who wants to fight".

Sephzilla

Vegeta to me should be higher than Frieza. Vegeta as a villain has probably the most lasting impact on the series. The threat of his (and Nappa's) arrival is what prompts Piccolo to properly turn into a hero, what pushes Gohan down the path of a fighter instead of a student, and is what prompts Goku to train under King Kai. The repercussions of what Vegeta and Nappa did on Earth are what set the wheels in motion for the entire Namek saga. On top of that, the ego hit that Vegeta takes as a result of his fight with Goku is something that influences a bunch of shit throughout the rest of DBZ. Vegeta's actions as a villain have the most long-term impact on the franchise.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Cell / Android saga has the weakest main villains IMO. It's part of the reason why it's my least favorite arc of the series.

Hmm, see the thing about Frieza to me is that he's easily Toriyama's most fully realized villain. The way he keeps the cast hidden underground and using guerrilla tactics, the affable but detached way he interacts with the Namekians and his henchmen, hell even his body language when he fights. To me he feels like a full on character instead of 'just a threat' like his successors. I feel like Frieza has (or had) a life and existence outside of fighting the main cast.

I think this whole paragraph sums it up. Out of the "pure" DBZ villains I think Freeza takes it comfortably, though I do like Buu more than most people do.

Vegeta to me should be higher than Frieza. Vegeta as a villain has probably the most lasting impact on the series.

Vegeta is one of the most consequential characters in the series period, yeah. It's just a question of how much of that falls on the "villain" side of the line since he straddled it longer than any other character.

I think this is one list in particular where my relative lack of exposure to pre-Z DB really hurts, though. Seems like Tao and Piccolo Sr. should be up there.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Dr. Gero considered him a failure for his gentle personality, that he gave him because he didn't want him being hurt given that he made him look like his son. (Who wasn't actually killed by Son Goku, rather he took a bullet from an opposing force while working for RR)

Top Bottom