• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Arrrammis

Funnily enough, based on TFS' criteria, I think Raditz is going to be ranked pretty high. He's our first introduction to the Saiyans (Goku technically was one before, but we had no idea about it), his discovery of earth and its dragon balls attracts Vegeta and Nappa, and leads to Freeza finding out about dragon balls on Namek (I think, might have to rewatch the original), which sets up the first and second seasons. Pretty impressive for someone who got taken out by a full nelson :p

He was a shock when he first appeared, and a lot of people (myself included) would have really liked to see more happen with his character. the evil brother of the protagonist, who is strong enough to fight the two strongest (at the time) characters in the series? There's lots of potential there.

Doukou

I'm curious where they will rank Blue and Tao, Blue was the first actual antagonist to pose a threat so I could see him in the tens. While Tao set the groundwork for the more serious and action side of Dragonball, his impact on the series as a whole can't really be matched.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dr. Gero considered him a failure for his gentle personality, that he gave him because he didn't want him being hurt given that he made him look like his son. (Who wasn't actually killed by Son Goku, rather he took a bullet from an opposing force while working for RR)

Wait, Gero actually did have a son, and that's who 16 was based off of? o_0

Metal B

The TFS using this strange detail about the relationship between Dr. Gero and Android 16 in a very very smart way. Android 16 triggering Son Gohan going SSJ2, never made much sense in the original story. They had no relationship, connection or even much screentime together. Android 16 just bagged him to save nature, before Cell destroyed him. Very weird and weak in comperation of Kriling dying and Goku already went berserk in DragonBall because of it before.

But TFS actually setup, that Android 16 and Son Gohan have a bad relationship with there fathers. Also Goku being responsible for a lot of bad things, including Gohan bad childhood, Android 16 death, properly the downfall of Dr. Gero (maybe he wasn't so evil before), the creation of Cell, Goku healing Cell and more. So Android 16 actually triggering those emotion inside of Gohan would make a lot of sense. Also Goku finally taking responsibility and staying dead, would also be much more clear.

Number one is going to be Chi-Chi, isn't it?

Anyone care to make a gamble on whether Ginyu will trump Cell as a better villain? Or Cell beating Brolly for that matter? (surprised to see Janemba before Brolly actually) I'm rather hopeful for Gero being a top 10 lister, since he's essentially the most dramatic, and the same time most obsessed, villain of the franchise. Also the only villain to actually return for his own 're-do' arc in GT, so in terms of who would be in the top for character, Gero should be.

Doukou

Number one is going to be Chi-Chi, isn't it?

Anyone care to make a gamble on whether Ginyu will trump Cell as a better villain? Or Cell beating Brolly for that matter? (surprised to see Janemba before Brolly actually) I'm rather hopeful for Gero being a top 10 lister, since he's essentially the most dramatic, and the same time most obsessed, villain of the franchise. Also the only villain to actually return for his own 're-do' arc in GT, so in terms of who would be in the top for character, Gero should be.

Brolly is probably not on the list at all. Especially since they liked the last three villian movies more than all Brolly movies(especially Janemba's).

Lamel

Banned
I've been watching TFS play Legacy of Goku 2. That game is so damn good! I finished it probably 10 times as a kid and I still enjoy watching it. I love how you can explore the DBZ world.

okay, that was deserved.

also:

Brolly is probably not on the list at all. Especially since they liked the last three villian movies more than all Brolly movies(especially Janemba's).

Ha! Still on for Ginyu beating Cell too.

(and completely fumbled on Gero, assuming they don't pull a semantics on that one)

Sandfox

I'd put Beerus (and he should count since battle of the gods was on the list last year, even if Super isn't being considered) above Buu and Cell by a mile. Also add Piccolo jr above them too

Piccolo jr, should probably be up there, but I give Cell bonus points for his concept and backstory, while Buu gets bonus points for how he pushed the group no other villain did.

Piccolo jr, should probably be up there, but I give Cell bonus points for his concept and backstory, while Buu gets bonus points for how he pushed the group no other villain did.

I'd argue Beerus pushed the group more than Buu did (They never even beat Beerus). Buu could've been beaten at a number of points before the final spirit bomb if characters hadn't been cocky or Goku hadn't been dumb and refused to beat Fat Buu with SSJ3. And Cell has a cool concept and backstory, but as a character he's incredibly boring after he stops being imperfect cell (And as we've already seen on their lists, concept can only get you so far). Beerus is easily one of the most interesting and entertaining characters in the entire franchise, and I'd honestly argue there's a strong case to be made that he's better than Freiza

Grexeno

Broly is stupid fucking character lifted whole hog from an elementary school student's mid-class doodles with the description "broly is so strong no one can beat him ever"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Broly is stupid fucking character lifted whole hog from an elementary school student's mid-class doodles with the description "broly is so strong no one can beat him ever"

He essentially represents the worst stereotypes of Dragon Ball.
Overly powerful, bulging muscles, nothing more than a fighting machine.

Majin boo is never really supposed to be anything more than an immature engine of destruction. The story treats him as ridiculous as he is.

Broly's doesn't, so he's lame.

Sephzilla

He's basically exactly what a traditional saiyan would be if one of them became Super Saiyan. A big dumb idiot who just tears through fucking everything because he can.

Buu's a worse a villain because he has absolutely no character motivation and survives via massive chunks of plot armor. Despite basically causing the most destruction of any DBZ villain, Buu felt like one of the least threatening villains.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He's basically exactly what a traditional saiyan would be if one of them became Super Saiyan. A big dumb idiot who just tears through fucking everything because he can.

Buu's a worse a villain because he has absolutely no character motivation and survives via massive chunks of plot armor. Despite basically causing the most destruction of any DBZ villain, Buu felt like one of the least threatening villains.

Buu got out muscled at almost every turn, if not for the fact he was made of regenerating goo he'd have been done in by Vegeta in their first fight. That's why he never felt like a threat.

Cheerilee

I think part of the Broly hatred is backlash, because certain fans have made him overrated as fuck.

Like, I remember kids saying that Goku should step down as the protagonist of DBZ and the series should be about Broly instead, because Broly is the most awesome. And Toriyama shouldn't be trying to push Gohan as Goku's successor in the Cell saga (or the Great Saiyaman stuff, or Mystic Gohan), because Broly should be the next protagonist, because he's more awesome than Goku and Gohan combined. And characters like Piccolo and Vegeta didn't deserve to turn and become anti-heroes, because Broly is the best anti-hero and he's more awesome than Piccolo and Vegeta combined.

It's like... take any of the best moments in the entirety of DBZ, and a vocal segment of the audience would be there calling for it to be thrown out in favor of the embodiment of the absolute worst parts of DBZ.

Broly fans were seriously trying to say that Goku's epic transformation to Super Saiyan at the end of the Freeza saga wasn't so hot, because Broly is the real Legendary Super Saiyan. These people were insufferable.

Buu never had that.

Tizoc

I think part of the Broly hatred is backlash, because certain fans have made him overrated as fuck.

Like, I remember kids saying that Goku should step down as the protagonist of DBZ and the series should be about Broly instead, because Broly is the most awesome. And Toriyama shouldn't be trying to push Gohan as Goku's successor in the Cell saga (or the Great Saiyaman stuff, or Mystic Gohan), because Broly should be the next protagonist, because he's more awesome than Goku and Gohan combined. And characters like Piccolo and Vegeta didn't deserve to turn and become anti-heroes, because Broly is the best anti-hero and he's more awesome than Piccolo and Vegeta combined.

It's like... take any of the best moments in the entirety of DBZ, and a vocal segment of the audience would be there calling for it to be thrown out in favor of the embodiment of the absolute worst parts of DBZ.

Broly fans were seriously trying to say that Goku's epic transformation to Super Saiyan at the end of the Freeza saga wasn't so hot, because Broly is the real Legendary Super Saiyan. These people were insufferable.

Buu never had that.
That
Is something ridiculous to base a dislike on and it is something i never ever considered
Far as i care i like brolly just because he is a freakin' hulking saiyan.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Also

Broly's movies are legitimately bad. Return and Bio Broly are some of the worst things to come out of the franchise.

This is likely the reason TFS hates him. His movies are just trash.

I remember the first movie airing on Toonami a while ago, and it was one of the most boring pieces of crap I've ever seen. It doesn't help that it's the longest DBZ movie that isn't the new ones so everything meanders.

Veelk

Banned
Buu's not threatening, but that's not a villain has to be to be really good.

I mean, he is threatening. He kills nearly all of the earth and he pushes the heroes to the limits. But his gimmick is that he is able to adapt better than any other villain.

So, Majinn Buu starts off innocent, but unbeatable, but finally he's turned good and he has to release his evil side. Then evil buu kills and eats good buu. Then when Super Buu is finally countered, he absorbs Gotenks and Piccalo, making him beatable. So then he absorbs Gohan. Then finally Vegeta and Goku have to fuse and they look like their winning, but they have to remove their friends before they kill buu, which defuses them and we're back to having the same problem of them being not strong enough to beat Kid Buu.

I look on Buu favorably because it is where I got into Dragon Ball, but his threat wasn't that he was the strongest ever, but that he was really hard to put down and kept changing the playing field to his advantage. And as he changed the playing field, the character kept changing. First you're dealing with an insanely strong but innocent child that doesn't know what he's doing, then he's a hardass stoic serial killer, then he becomes an egomaniacal smartass, before finally settling on cruel sadistic child. He's like a smorgous board of different kinds of bad guys.

You could easily make the argument that it makes him shallow, have no sense of permanence and constantly beating him only for him to morph into some new enemy can hard counter the previous tactics can get annoying. But idk, you tell me, what other villain forced the heroes to pull out as many stops as they did. Super Saiyan 3, fused Gotenks, Fused Vegeto, a planet earth spirit bomb that actually lands, etc. Because Buu kept changing the game, the heroes had to change with it.

So with twelve spots left, I expect the remaining twelve spots to be filled by (in no particular order)

Turles, the ginyu force, future 17 & 18, Freeza, Cell, Boo, Vegeta, Beerus, King Piccolo, Tao, and the red ribbon army.

Arrrammis

So with twelve spots left, I expect the remaining twelve spots to be filled by (in no particular order)

Turles, the ginyu force, future 17 & 18, Freeza, Cell, Buu, Vegeta, Beerus, King Piccolo, Tao, and the red ribbon army.

They said they aren't including Super since the series hasn't really been around long enough to see the effect of villains, so I don't think Beerus will make an appearance. I think that Pilaf will actually make an appearance- he's the first real antagonist that we see in the series, and the first person to summon Shenron. Plus, him, Shu, and Mai are single handedly responsible for the return of King Piccolo.

I was thinking Beerus might edge it out because BOG was a movie some time before Super, but yeah if he's omitted put Pilaf's gang in that spot.

AniHawk

Turles, the ginyu force, future 17 & 18, Freeza, Cell, Boo, Vegeta, Beerus, King Piccolo, Tao, and the red ribbon army.

having never seen gt or og dragon ball, would tien fit in there somewhere? maybe instead of turles, for example.

pilaf's probably going to show up too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A lot of would-be Dragonball-era candidates are likely to be ineligible for this list due to just being rivals or antagonists before joining Goku's posse, instead of outright villains. Vegeta is the only character in that mold who's almost assuredly going to be featured here because he straddled that line for longer than anyone else. Maybe Piccolo Jr. would qualify, but he was still just an outright villain for one major arc.

Crane Master Shen would have been more likely to show up than Tien, imo.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Buu never had that.

Uh...is this an actual thing? I've been on Dragonball message boards for the past 13 years or so, and I've never encountered this widespread Brollyphilia. The most positive comments I heard was that as a character, he was a pretty interesting concept, but has participated in some of the worst fucking movies in the series.

Media

Uh...is this an actual thing? I've been on Dragonball message boards for the past 13 years or so, and I've never encountered this widespread Brollyphilia. The most positive comments I heard was that as a character, he was a pretty interesting concept, but has participated in some of the worst fucking movies in the series.

Saw a 30 something dude the other day with this wicked colorful and complicated DBZ tattoo. I complimented him on it cause I'm nice, and was like 'Is that Bardock?' and he flipped his lid because it was apparently Broly. The Broly stans are real apparently.

(I confuse Bardock and Broly because their names both start with B and and I'm not a huge fan of either)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, they're confirming that Beerus is going to appear in the top 10 somewhere. I think that makes the following 9 a lock:

Red Ribbon Army
King Piccolo
Vegeta
Ginyu Force
Freeza
Androids 17 & 18
Cell
Buu
Beerus

Who fills out the 10th slot? Another movie villain?

Top Bottom