• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

That'd probably be my pick. It's just a matter of whether he counts as a villain or not.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of another major fight in the series that got as outright brutal as that one did toward the end.

Yeah the only other possible Antagonist that comes to mind is Tien and the Crane School, but Tien stopped being the villain like halfway through that arc.

If one more movie villain is going to be picked then it's probably Turles. No way Bojack is going to be placed this high up and Lord Slug has been disqualified.

Zolo

Androids 16, 17, 18

That pretty much leaves Freeza, Vegeta, Cell, King Piccolo, Piccolo Jr, Beerus, and Buu. Tien also could have counted, but I'm guessing he isn't counted at this point.

Kinda disagree (or are confused) with them on a couple of points.

1. 16's influence: I agree he was definitely a good influence on them, but I disagree with the idea that he's the only reason 17, and 18 turned good. I'd say the main reason the future was so different with them is because there was nobody there to stop them. We see them pull off a few crimes in the present, and those crimes escalated as they didn't have to worry about anyone stopping them.

2. 18 Criticism: They talk badly about her being married and having a kid....then make a point about her being a badass mom. Isn't the problem if a character stops being badass after being a mom?

Veelk

Banned
2. 18 Criticism: They talk badly about her being married and having a kid....then make a point about her being a badass mom. Isn't the problem if a character stops being badass after being a mom?

Badass is only a status you maintain with your actions. It's like calling Chichi badass. She's still physically strong, but if all she is doing is being a housewife...

Badass is only a status you maintain with your actions. It's like calling Chichi badass. She's still physically strong, but if all she is doing is being a housewife...

And when you have something occur like Resurrection F where Krillin goes into combat while 18 stays behind. It kind of stands out.

Zolo

And when you have something occur like Resurrection F where Krillin goes into combat while 18 stays behind. It kind of stands out.

True, but to me that's the one blemish. She got a bigger role in the Buu saga than a lot of other veteran side characters with her fights against Goten, Trunks, and Mr. Satan even if they were comedic fights (that were hilarious). She joined up with Tien and Piccolo when fighting Beerus. And of course, she'll be in the upcoming tournament where I'm hoping she at least doesn't do comparatively worse than the others around her level.

Also, it kinda depends on how far the criticism goes. If they're just talking about only til the EOZ, then I don't find the criticism works at all.
Piccolo Jr
Even they couldn't disagree if this should be a separate spot :p
Looking at some users' current predictions, I think people will be surprised when King Piccolo likely gets a higher rank than Cell and Buu.

Zolo

Wouldn't be surprised if Vegeta is higher than Cell and Buu

I'm mostly interested in if Buu or Cell will score higher? I tend to rank them at about the same on the personality scale, but I tend to give Buu the edge since I find his fights more entertaining. He also scared me more than any other villain in Dragon Ball as a kid, though Cell may have been able to give him a running if they kept his 'drinking people' shtick.

I'm mostly interested in if Buu or Cell will score higher? I tend to rank them at about the same on the personality scale, but I tend to give Buu the edge since I find his fights more entertaining. He also scared me more than any other villain in Dragon Ball as a kid, though Cell may have been able to give him a running if they kept his 'drinking people' shtick.

I could see Buu beating Cell for impact on the series alone.

Tizoc

Far as I can recall the Ginyu Force never killed anyone during the Namek arc did they? They all got wiped by Goku and Vegeta.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Cell and Freeza duke it out for the top spot as far as I'm concerned. Buu is kind of all over the place as a villain.

Zolo

Far as I can recall the Ginyu Force never killed anyone during the Namek arc did they? They all got wiped by Goku and Vegeta.

Yeah. Recoome was the most memorable for me though for how badly he beat Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Fat Buu gets to be a recurring character who leads to an entire new race of majin.

Freeza gets to return in a new movie and had a cool song made about him.

Cell gets no future returns or impacts.

Pretty much. Out of the 3 major big bads in Z, I'd say that Cell ranks the lowest because he basically has no existence outside of his short-lived encounters with the heroes, whereas Freeza and Buu have left decades or centuries of interplanetary ruin in their wake. In Buu's case, the scope of destruction just dwarfs that of any other villain, while in Freeza's, it has more personal meaning for Goku and especially Vegeta and makes him more of a full-fledged character than just "the next threat."

Basically, Cell's influence on the series is undercut by the fact that his motivation and backstory basically belong to another character entirely (Dr. Gero).

I thought
Dragonball Super villains weren't eligible?

Battle of gods is counted as a DBZ movie and thus Beerus is eligible. This should surprise nobody since Battle of Gods was their number 1 movie/special last year for DBZ. And we already got confirmation in the DBS villains video that Beerus is on the list

Well did they did talk about how Super Beerus is subtle-but-noticibly different from BoG Beerus.

I'm betting Vegeta's number 1 if they factored in Piccolo Jr.'s post villain character arc.

Sephzilla

Yeah if post-villain arcs are factored in then Vegeta is by far and away #1. Even if it was just villain arcs, Vegeta still has a case for #1 because both the Saiyan and Majin Vegeta arcs are really damn good.

And for what it's worth, Vegeta technically has never taken an L to Goku. Vegeta is 2-0 against him.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm betting Vegeta's number 1 if they factored in Piccolo Jr.'s post villain character arc.

It doesn't seem like that sort of thing affects the placement in this list that much considering that they made it a point to note that Piccolo is far and away one of the best characters in the series but that his role as a villain was short-lived.

Then again, you can fudge this for Vegeta by saying that he can't be truly counted as a hero until the end of the Buu saga. He killed some civilians in the Cell saga whereas 16, 17, and 18 didn't.

flak57

This is the most random thing ever, but I hated when they had Roshi of all people do the "can never read that guy" joke about Tien. Doesn't make sense with their history.

Beerus is number 3 for me, Vegeta and Frieza above him.

While I liked the massive shift King Piccolo brought it's really Tambourine that had the most hard hitting moment IMO, Piccolo himself was never all that interesting to me from a character perspective besides the fact he was the first really big major evil villain. Though I suspect TFS is gonna group the King and his kids together.

Beerus is just a goddamn all around great character, from how he widened the universe, how easily he can switch from pure comedy to overwhelming terror, his design and his interactions with the cast. Love me some Beerus.

Zolo

Pretty much agree completely with Cell though I likely would have placed him lower due to the flaws they mentioned.

Top Bottom