• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Ray Down

Banned
I dont get why they hate Broly so much. It's no better or worse than any of the DBZ movies around it

Maybe it's part of his fanbase saying, he's the greatest, but even so he's just a saiyan hulk.

Lani and the gang will tear him a new one, they be talking shit about the Broly movie sightly over there various videos.

Ray Down

Banned
He also has another movie about him that they all think is worse.

Honestly, they most likely don't like Broly character as a whole with his fixation/past with Goku and once he goes LSS he basically a Hulk.

Sephzilla

Both Broly sequels are infinitely worse than the original.

Honestly, they most likely don't like Broly character as a whole with his fixation/past with Goku and once he goes LSS he basically a Hulk.

That's kind of why I like him and why I'm confused as to why they hate him so much. He's kind of a harsh reminder of what the original Saiyans were, which were big stupid killing machines. Broly just happens to be extra powerful and a little extra crazy

Veelk

Banned
That's kind of why I like him and why I'm confused as to why they hate him so much. He's kind of a harsh reminder of what the original Saiyans were, which were big stupid killing machines. Broly just happens to be extra powerful and a little extra crazy

I guess that's because even if it's thematic appropriate, it makes a plot device out of a character, and I feel that's almost always a shame. There are ways to make something like that work, but you almost always want a character, especially when all you have is (as far as you know) a single, mostly self contained movie to do it in.

Since TFS is essentially rewriting a good portion of the series, maybe they'll give Brolly some personality where they can fit it in.

Big One

Banned
I'm fine with Broly's concept as well as the movie itself is actually pretty good, but the backstory for Broly genuinely makes no logically sense whatsoever despite attempting to introduce logic into the series storyline. The other two Broly movies are just godawful.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Broly sort of encapsulates everything that people make fun of DBZ for. He's a big dumb power fantasy. There's no real humor or character involved. It's just, dude is really strong, has big muscles, wrecks stuff.

You know the (stereotypical) guy on the internet who made his online tag xXxSSJ5GogetaxXx? His favorite movie is Broly. He made an AMV to the movie with Linkin Park in it.

Of course, on some level that power fantasy nonsense is really what made DBZ popular in the first place. We loved that shit when we were 15 years old. Maybe when we're older now we can appreciate the humor and adventure of the original Dragon Ball and the time those elements carried on into DBZ, but what got us engaged in the first place was the whole idea of being super strong and fighting stuff.

I also still like Linkin Park even if those DBZ AMV's make me cringe. Don't judge.

I'm fine with Broly's character but I didn't really enjoy the first movie at all. 90% of the fighting in it is everyone taking their turn getting their ass kicked and it just wasn't interesting to me. If the first half of the second Broly movie wasn't so atrocious I'd put it above the first one. The 3rd one I barely remember at all.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The new website launched. They also started posting the #TIBA results.

First is the "Fuck the Judges Award". The viewers choice winners.
How to be a Soul Hunter 101 (Soul Eater)
Yu Yu Hakushit (Yu Yu Hakusho) I'm surprised this was allowed since Lanipator used to do YYH Abridged.

Soul Eater one was okay. Nice production values at least.
The YYH one... pretty damn bad. Looking at the description, apparently it was produced by Cr1TiKaL and that's why it got a lot of viewer votes.

Which episode/movie is that Yu Yu Hakusho video from? I've never seen it.

AniHawk

i went back to 'season 2' and holy shit it was surprising how far tfs came. this was around the time they started adding in a lot more music and sound effects, but the big thing they've really disciplined themselves on that was even a problem up through frieza, was the amount of shots for dialogue. sometimes the same character would be speaking a line and without a punchline necessitating it, the angle would change on the character in a way that felt unnatural. it doesn't really happen anymore - they're much more comfortable finding shots and sticking with them through long lines of dialogue.

the android saga up through now has been really enjoyable. it's consistently impressive how much they were able to stay true to the show, but keep it humorous and engaging.

Veelk

Banned
The major change was I think they stopped merely telling jokes and were more comfortable letting dramatic moments bleed through. TFS is still largely a comedy, but there are moment that are played for drama rather than jokes, like Trunks turning into a super saiyan in his movie.

Tizoc

The new website launched. They also started posting the #TIBA results.

First is the "Fuck the Judges Award". The viewers choice winners.
How to be a Soul Hunter 101 (Soul Eater)
Yu Yu Hakushit (Yu Yu Hakusho) I'm surprised this was allowed since Lanipator used to do YYH Abridged.

Soul Eater one was okay. Nice production values at least.
The YYH one... pretty damn bad. Looking at the description, apparently it was produced by Cr1TiKaL and that's why it got a lot of viewer votes.

So I'm watching the Soul Hunter 101 and what's the anime that the Death God/whatshisname watches when the duo call him?

Wiseblade

Log Horizon winning the F**k The Judges award is appropriate.

IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST THE IDIOTS ARE YOU BLIND HAVE YOU NO TASTE YOU HEATHENS

Savitar

https://twitter.com/Lanipator/status/788465134402273280

Man when they finally get to it, it's gonna be good.

And hopefully Broly get ripped apart.

It's funny because unless you hate what Broly represents which honestly much of DLZ is all about ie: BEING THE STRONGEST ONE EVAH. The first Broly movie isn't actually bad at all, except for the dues ex way they beat him with a powered up punch, now that was shit.

Also the sequels, where he just screams Goku's name and the plots are dumb as dirt.

In the first Broly movie he's actually a true imposing psychotic force of nature and you get that impression. Everything after the first movie though is fresh poop.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's way more TIBA winners than I thought.
Here's the list so far

I have no idea how Log Horizon didn't get in the 30, it was way better than the Avatar: TLA and Future Diary ones. Meh...

On the Gaming Channel, they finished the Soul Silver Nuzlocke. There are plans for future ones.

TIBA Dishonorable Mention

Yeah, that was godawful. Deserved to be called out like this.

Seriously, I can see what they're trying to say here about how things can improve from a poor start to encourage everyone in the competition to not give up and get better, and there certainly more than a few things that don't hold up in that episode, but DBZA Ep. 1 is still probably better than a good number of entries that managed to make it into the top 30. Plus, it's hard to call this a "bad start" when most of the team up to that point had been abridging for a while when they started DBZA. Should have used the first series of each of the judges instead if they REALLY wanted to make that point.

So I'm watching the Soul Hunter 101 and what's the anime that the Death God/whatshisname watches when the duo call him?

Blood-C, I think...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Seriously, I can see what they're trying to say here about how things can improve from a poor start to encourage everyone in the competition to not give up and get better, and there certainly more than a few things that don't hold up in that episode, but DBZA Ep. 1 is still probably better than a good number of entries that managed to make it into the top 30. Plus, it's hard to call this a "bad start" when most of the team up to that point had been abridging for a while when they started DBZA. Should have used the first series of each of the judges instead if they REALLY wanted to make that point.

I think you might be reading a little too much into this. I think they just wanted to poke fun at themselves a little bit. If they really wanted to show you how bad they used to be, they would have shown their original cut of Dead Zone or World's Strongest. They did those before they did Episode 1 of the series and they completely redid them later because the original cuts were so bad in comparison to the rest of their stuff.

Dead Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691QC67dUAs
World's Strongest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY5o-75TNtg

Kalentan

CwbClnmW8AAUdnt.jpg

Did anyone else see this, they posted it on Twitter. :D

Kalentan

Could someone explain this joke to me?

I was rewatching episode 30 and at the part where King Kai says that Goku has achieved Super Sayian, he asks the narrator who hesistantly responds back and then King Kai is like: "What?"

I never got that.

AniHawk

Could someone explain this joke to me?

I was rewatching episode 30 and at the part where King Kai says that Goku has achieved Super Sayian, he asks the narrator who hesistantly responds back and then King Kai is like: "What?"

I never got that.

it's due to king kai's emphasis of 'one and only' super saiyan.

Veelk

Banned
I think that was the cheesiest anime I've ever watched. Atleast as a kid. I can't think of an attack more ridiculous that something called "SHINING FINGER!!!" And it was always accompanied by that epic music and monologue. Like, it wouldn't work unless he said it. Glorious cheese.

Arrrammis

Im gonna hazard a guess and say that brolly abridged will go up by thanksgiving isnt it?

Originally yes, but Kaiser(the main editor for DBZA)'s hard drive crashed, so they lost progress on Episode 56 and (Wen) Broly. Last I heard they're planned for December, I assume ep. 56 in the first 2 weeks and Broly around christmas/new year's.

Top Bottom