• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

I was wondering how they would play Brolly lol
It was great.

I imagine the editing took a few extra passes and they though this was better than missing xmas. I bet we see part 2 by NewYear.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Someone explain the
Son of Bardock thing Paragus mentioned please

The original English dub made up shit about Goku's father being a scientist who invented the fake moon technique that Vegeta used in the Saiyan saga.

One thing a will knock against Broly part 1 is that they're non-original animation inserts are really distracting and I wish they didn't linger on them so much.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Oh snap, didn't know there was a thread for this. What's everyone think of the whole "part 1" thing with the movie? Do you want TFS to do it with other movies?

Zolo

Oh snap, didn't know there was a thread for this. What's everyone think of the whole "part 1" thing with the movie? Do you want TFS to do it with other movies?

It's pretty much a mix of wanting to do this for Christmas and not having enough time as well as this movie being longer than the others.

It's pretty much a mix of wanting to do this for Christmas and not having enough time as well as this movie being longer than the others.

Pretty much my thought on this. I don't expect them to do it again, especially since none of the other movies (except maybe Battle of Gods and Return of F) are as long as this one.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

They only did this because they promised Broly on Christmas
It's clear they couldn't finish the whole thing in time so they only released part 1.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This was great. Way better than that crappy World's Strongest vid (the second one).

As usual, Vegeta steals the show.

- "I came here for a banquet and I find out it's a potluck, YOU CHEAP F*UCKS!"

Goku brought in the goods as well, as expected.

"Was it non-fat? Diet? Freezer with an 'i' "?

Shame that this was only a partial vid. Looking forward to the next one. Though, they really need to stop with the shitty original animation stuff. It's ugly and distracting.

Also, what did Vegeta say at 7:30? I couldn't make it out.

Oh get lost with that crap. It's ok to be disapointed at things. Get some spine.

TFS don't owe anyone shit, especially considering nobody pays for the hours upon hours they put into making episodes. Walk it off, breh, run some cold water over your head and try to remember you're an adult.

Anth0ny

TFS don't owe anyone shit, especially considering nobody pays for the hours upon hours they put into making episodes. Walk it off, breh, run some cold water over your head and try to remember you're an adult.

they have 2.3 million subs on youtube

that generates six figures annually EASY

Arrrammis

they have 2.3 million subs on youtube

that generates six figures annually EASY

Because of copyright stuff, they cannot monetize any videos on their main channel, so those 2.3 million subs generate exactly $0 for them. Their only income comes from their Patreon and gaming channel.

Anth0ny

Because of copyright stuff, they cannot monetize any videos on their main channel, so those 2.3 million subs generate exactly $0 for them. Their only income comes from their Patreon and gaming channel.

well that just sucks

550k subs on their gaming channel isn't too shabby, though

Not entirely correct. The videos on the channel that aren't DBZA are monetized. The music videos, pod casts, this villain week etc. They're not pulling in the millions that the main videos are, but 300k-1mil on a video is nothing to laugh at. That's on top of merch, patron, and tfs gaming. I mean that's what that video was about last year. They were making enough for this to be considered a full time job. I'd assume that meant 30-50k per person, per year.

That's why they've been doing so many music videos of late, and why they haven't had actual footage in them, in contrast to the first one they did so many years ago. They want more things to monetize on the channel. Nothing wrong with that.

Oblivion

Not entirely correct. The videos on the channel that aren't DBZA are monetized. The music videos, pod casts, this villain week etc. They're not pulling in the millions that the main videos are, but 300k-1mil on a video is nothing to laugh at. That's on top of merch, patron, and tfs gaming. I mean that's what that video was about last year. They were making enough for this to be considered a full time job. I'd assume that meant 30-50k per person, per year.

That's why they've been doing so many music videos of late, and why they haven't had actual footage in them, in contrast to the first one they did so many years ago. They want more things to monetize on the channel. Nothing wrong with that.

Sounds like the TFS crew sold out.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So when you said nobody pays them, you meant people pay them $13,000 a month then.

Arrrammis

So when you said nobody pays them, you meant people pay them $13,000 a month then.

I never said that nobody pays them, you're confusing me with the other guy. But when you take $13,000 and divide it among their core members (not including PR/gaming channel managers and guest voice actors), then yeah they don't really earn anything for themselves- plus, that money probably barely covers rent for their small office, costs to fly in other actors, host panels at various conventions, and manage unexpected costs (back up hard drives for example- those really come in handy!).

There's really no way for TFS to earn a profit on Dragonball Z Abridged, and since people keep pestering them about not putting out episodes often enough, they're going through the effort of setting up a proper studio and creating sources of revenue (Patreon, Gaming, non-DBZA videos) to cover those high costs. And then we get entitled idiots running around, calling them sellouts and wanting an episode every other week for no cost. There's really no way to keep everyone happy, but they are doing very well with the cards that they have been dealt.

They make that much a month on Patreon? :O

That's the number listed but Patreon is incredibly unreliable-lots of people apparently stay supporters until the end of the month (when they get billed) and then stop supporting before they have to actually pay anything, so they get all of the benefits for none of the cost. Several other content creators that I follow (FamilyJules, ToxicXEternity, CohhCarnage, Game Grumps, etc.) who have used patreon have mentioned this at one point or another, and most of them have stopped using Patreon because of it. It's unreliable, but when you can't directly monetize your work, then you kinda have to risk it.

I think we won't have to wait long for part 2. I don't think they'd take their usual time off around this time before they finished it. My guess is it'll come out New Years Eve/Day.

Toxi

Banned
I just didn't like the execution of their Wheelo characterisation. I ended up bouncing off the whole thing as a result. Dead Zone on the other hand was definitely my thing.

Whatever they were going for with Dr. Wheelo fell completely flat for me.
I thought the entire Kochin/Wheelo dynamic was hilarious. Kochin in general is one of the funniest characters I've seen from them.

I love Dead Zone too though.

Ponn

Banned
I had a good feeling about this being good when the army got out of the ship and called Vegeta king with his reaction. The only thing that would have made that scene better is literally hearing him get hard.

Wait, people don't like World's Strongest Abridged?

Why?

Wheelo being super sappy as a joke had the shortest legs possible, especially after Kochin was gone to bounce off of and the massive girth of "original animation" inserted was completely out of place and distracting. Keep it to lip flaps.

They've been getting way better at the original art though if the Korin/Yajrobe scene in Broly is any indication.

The scene in World's Strongest just looked awful.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I even liked their characterization of Wheelo and I still think that joke ran out of steam incredibly quickly.

Oblivion

I just didn't like the execution of their Wheelo characterisation. I ended up bouncing off the whole thing as a result. Dead Zone on the other hand was definitely my thing.

Whatever they were going for with Dr. Wheelo fell completely flat for me.

Wheelo being super sappy as a joke had the shortest legs possible, especially after Kochin was gone to bounce off of and the massive girth of "original animation" inserted was completely out of place and distracting. Keep it to lip flaps.

They've been getting way better at the original art though if the Korin/Yajrobe scene in Broly is any indication.

The scene in World's Strongest just looked awful.

I absolutely hated that one.

Probably my least favorite of any of their recent ones.

I even liked their characterization of Wheelo and I still think that joke ran out of steam incredibly quickly.

Oh good. Glad most of us are on the same page.

This day's totally coming up Oblivion.

Conan-san

Your moral high horsing is amazing.

I didn't say TFS owed anyone anything, I said you were being a prick for editorialising someone's disappointment in their release schedule.

"They're doing it for 'free'" is not an excuse from criticism in any regard and TFS have buggered it once or twice this year unless they're planing a new years explosion of Hellsing and FF7MA.

Or is all that talk of World's Strongest sending you into a death tissy?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Slave: "Yes, being enslaved and exploited by a stronger, strapping race fills us completely."

Krillin: "You know, I actually kind of get it."

OMG I just got that!

Your moral high horsing is amazing.

I didn't say TFS owed anyone anything, I said you were being a prick for editorialising someone's disappointment in their release schedule.

"They're doing it for 'free'" is not an excuse from criticism in any regard and TFS have buggered it once or twice this year unless they're planing a new years explosion of Hellsing and FF7MA.

Or is all that talk of World's Strongest sending you into a death tissy?

I'm not grandstanding, I'm pointing out a simple fact that TFS don't owe any of their fans anything, and if you have the cheek to complain that a laborious product of time and effort you contribute nothing to isn't out as and when you'd like it to be, I think that's silly and an entitled way of thinking.

If you want to criticise their actual work, whatever, that's in part what this thread is for, but let's not pretend that's what you're doing when you're throwing a hissy fit over logistics. Speaking of critique; I don't particularly care whether or people liked their World's Strongest adaptation, I didn't love it myself, so... OK? I guess? You almost had me? Or you just might be projecting who's having a tizzy here.

I'm going to leave it at that.

Top Bottom