• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The #1 reason Sony will never release all their games on PC day-one.

CJY

Banned
One word: Piracy.

It's rampant in the PC space and a full lock-down is nigh impossible.

Sony have invested massive energy and resources into locking down their consoles and they've just finally reached the holy grail this generation of a unhackable system with PS4. I just can't see them ever throwing that away and releasing all their games day-and-date on PC like many people are hoping/predicting.

PC-only gamers will look foolish in the future, port-begging every time a hot new Sony 1st party game comes out.

Sony are super smart in setting the industry ablaze and sending gamers into a frenzy speculating about the future of their games.

Meanwhile, Sony remain silent and coy, communicating nothing directly, and continue playing gamers like a fiddle.

Edit: Just to be clear, I think Sony releasing some of their back catalog on PC is A GOOD THING. Possibly a very good thing. Some upside, very little down side. The point of this thread is to highlight some reasons why Sony is likely to never release their exclusive games day-and-date on PC.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the #1 reason, but it's a valid reason, one of many. To be fair, this not an isolated concern to Sony, but publishers and developers in general, this is one reason some games come to console first and then get ported to PC later when sales dwindle.

Asgan

Neo Member
I would argue that most importantly they wouldn't want the graphics on high-end PCs to overshadow PS4 Pro's. And if they hold PC graphics back to be on par or inferior to PS4 or Pro, they'll likely anger lots of PC players.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Unless they have great anti piracy protection like these lot.

Mortal Kombat 11 269 Days
Beyond Two Souls 178 Days
Anno 1800 276 Days
Pes 2020 128 Days
Planet Zoo Days 73 Days
Detroit Become Human 35 Days

All these titles and more have gone this long because of good anti piracy protection and yes they are some who can wait but plenty will give up in the end and just buy the game.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Sony's never going to give the PC full support with day-one games, outside the odd multiplayer title. Microsoft does it because they're trying to push Xbox Play Anywhere. But Sony has no reason to do the same. Late releases of select older titles and a few multiplayer games are the best route for their use of PC.

I dismiss your hypothesis. It is a FACT that there is no link between piracy and lost sales. Piracy in this day and age on PC is irrelevant.

They probably won't release all their games on PC, but Piracy will not be a reason why some do not get ported.

wd8u1Ak.jpg

mcjmetroid

It's pretty obvious Sony is just considering doing this with some old games since PS5 will be backwards compatible and they are going to want to resell their old work like all publishers do.

I don't know how the rest of you can be so clueless.

This is probably a good reason for it.

Also Sony knows how Exclusives work and they're not going to be doing it until they have a comfortable lead in the next console generation. They're doing it now for the PS4 because there is no competition anymore.

This isn't an Xbox situation unless they go full in on PSnow.

SleepDoctor

Banned
In the other threads everyone was an insider, now everyone is a marketing analyst for Sony 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Everyone trolled and shitted on vfx and now they're crying and making excuses for why it won't happen lol. Imo some of the warriors who were trolling him should be banned. The toxicity of some of the fanboys on this forum is pathetic.

In the end like I've said, only the games matter. Sony, ms, steam, google, or etc, none of them give a fuck about you. They're just a business trying to make a dollar off you.

It just shows how there is NOTHING great to play on PC to port beg Horizon and other Sony games. Sony is the king.
And PC means MS aka our best mate we all hare reasons to love including security reasons, right? 🤭

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

In the other threads everyone was an insider, now everyone is a marketing analyst for Sony 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Everyone trolled and shitted on vfx and now they're crying and making excuses for why it won't happen lol. Imo some of the warriors who were trolling him should be banned. The toxicity of some of the fanboys on this forum is pathetic.

In the end like I've said, only the games matter. Sony, ms, steam, google, or etc, none of them give a fuck about you. They're just a business trying to make a dollar off you.
Sure they're just trying to make a buck but if they didn't have a console to push their games wouldn't be as good.

Not saying I'm against PS games going to PC but it's irrational to assume Sony is conceding all of their advantages to race Xbox to 3rd place.
Internet prophets foretelling of the end of consoles is just wishful thinking and not evidence of anything.

Lanrutcon

The day Horizon PC gets officially announced G&T is going to need be on suicide watch.

CJY CJY : there's so much to live for. Don't take the easy way out. We love you, partner.

I don't think that the number one reason.
I'm not sure you're aware OP, but as much as I hate Denuovo, it has stopped piracy on the PC. The first 30-50 days are the most important when a game comes out. And Denuovo generally doesn't get cracked in that time frame.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Sure they're just trying to make a buck but if they didn't have a console to push their games wouldn't be as good.

Not saying I'm against PS games going to PC but it's irrational to assume Sony is conceding all of their advantages to race Xbox to 3rd place.
Internet prophets foretelling of the end of consoles is just wishful thinking and not evidence of anything.

Everything after "but" is irrelevant.

The install base on pc is huge and they want a piece of that. MS was on to something with going to PC apparently. Look at Reach, 10 year old game and it had 1 - 2 million steam player.... mind you its free on game pass.

And at this rate it probably cost nothing to bring to pc.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
For me the real reason is: exclusives move hardware sales.

I can't believe in this day and age people started to believe that exclusive are pointless, those are the main reason why consoles are still relevant.

"You want the new Spider-Man game? you have to buy a PS4"

"You want the new Zelda game? you have to buy a Switch"

etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't believe in this day and age people started to believe that exclusive are pointless, those are the main reason why consoles are still relevant.

etc.
Well dlc/mircotransactions becoming normalized kinda changed the game

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Well dlc/mircotransactions becoming normalized kinda changed the game

How so?

My point still stays, if you want to buy a number of PS4 first party games you need a PS4, or PS Now but with so many caveats (at least right now).

HE1NZ

Banned

etc.
Sony is losing money on hardware sales. They make money on selling games and having people use their infrastracture. People who buy consoles to play exclusives dust off they systems every time the new one comes out. They're not profitable for the company.
Also, how many PC gamers will buy console to play a yearly cinematic Sony exclusive? Like 5%? It's more profitable to bring PlayStation as a service to PC and sell more millions of games.

If they want to drive their services forward and be taken seriously it will be day one. Anything other will show a lack of confidence in their own business strategy which will trickle down to unsatisfactory consumer response.

If you can't be confident in what you're doing your customers won't be confident either. You either go all in or not at all, half baked efforts have half baked results.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Sony is losing money on hardware sales. They make money on selling games and having people use their infrastracture. People who buy consoles to play exclusives dust off they systems every time the new one comes out. They're not profitable for the company.
Also, how many PC gamers will buy console to play a yearly cinematic Sony exclusive? Like 5%? It's more profitable to bring PlayStation as a service to PC and sell more millions of games.

First of all, Where you're getting the info that Sony is losing money on hardware sales? that is so BS

1) Sony sold PS4 at a loss at launch, that is true, however, because the product stays in the market for so long, the cost curve of components aggressively drops after 5-6 months or a year cause they get outclassed by newer components which are better and faster. Even when they do price cuts, they're still making money. You have to think that if you buy a base PS4 today, you're buying an hardware that is 7 years old now.

2) The scale of which Playstation operates is so big, they sold over 100 mln consoles this gen, so the more you produce them the less it costs (economies of scale)

You may say that Sony makes even more money from services and that is true but saying they lose money from hardware sales is complete nonsense.

As for the rest, those who buy the system for that one game, then they end up stick with the console and play most of their games there. That's the typical console user, and most of Sony's user base. They often own one system to play most of their games, and have a second one for other titles they can't have in their primary system. Those who buy all consoles and also own a gaming PC are a minority.

In the past it used to be even about smaller reasons like your friends chose PS4, if you want to play with them, either the game has crossplay or you have to buy a PS4. That is why Sony was so reluctant to allow cross-play at first and then gave up because the whole industry is moving towards that direction.

PC gamers will continue to play most of their games on PC regardless of what they can or cannot play, so they represent a different type of audience for Sony.

FStubbs

Sony have invested massive energy and resources into locking down their consoles and they've just finally reached the holy grail this generation of a unhackable system with PS4. I just can't see them ever throwing that away and releasing all their games day-and-date on PC like many people are hoping/predicting.

PC-only gamers will look foolish in the future, port-begging every time a hot new Sony 1st party game comes out.

Sony are super smart in setting the industry ablaze and sending gamers into a frenzy speculating about the future of their games.

Meanwhile, Sony remain silent and coy, communicating nothing directly, and continue playing gamers like a fiddle.

Edit: Just to be clear, I think Sony releasing some of their back catalog on PC is A GOOD THING. Possibly a very good thing. Some upside, very little down side. The point of this thread is to highlight some reasons why Sony is likely to never release their exclusive games day-and-date on PC.

The PS4 isn't unhackable.

Consoles were almost always hacked by homebrew guys like geohotz who had no real interest in piracy; the pirates just took advantage. However, the PS4 and Xbox One being basically x86 machines anyway made it not worth their time to hack, because they could just build the same hardware themselves.

Mista

Banned

giphy.gif

Why does everyone forget about the 20% cut that Sony takes from literally every single game sold on Playstation? That is the only piece that makes me wonder what Sony really has planned. Obviously it is about the games, but additional first party game sales on PC will never in a million years make up for the loss of the 20% cut they take from every other game. I guess maybe they are considering creating their own storefront, but that will be tough going considering even Epic throwing endless money at their storefront has met with insane resistance.

The reason is because it would devalue their own investments to bring people to a locked down ecosystem. Not piracy.
More so, they would never release on day one. What I'd want is just for exclusives to some point later get released, thus not ruining the exclusivity pull to move hardware. It's not like someone would wait 5 years for Bloodborne to get released on PC, instead of buying a PS4, if the game held the pull it did. It's not gonna affect the moving of hardware.

Top Bottom