• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Dresden said:
It's also a better movie than Slumdog or Goodfellas.
Better than Slumdog for sure. I would rate Goodfellas and City of God about equally. They are both fantastic.

Now I feel like watching City of God again.

Dresden

DennisK4 said:
Better than Slumdog for sure. I would rate Goodfellas and City of God about equally. They are both fantastic.
I thought City of God was better, although Goodfellas is still a fantastic movie.

Anyways, I'm beginning to think that the voters should troll the rest of the world by awarding The Blind Side.

WrikaWrek said:
True, only the slumdog part actually has in common with City of God. Because the main story arc, has almost zero to do with City of God.

I see where you both are coming from but both movies are about kids who grow up in a slum and the movie follows them how their life unfolds. Later they are very different thats true. Slumdog becomes an almost unbearable Bollywood Kitsch while City of God takes a much more realistic turn.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Calcaneus said:
I'll jump for joy if Inglourious Basterds wins.
Same here man.

Chichikov said:
Seriously.
Coraline is such a fantastic film, sadly, it's nominated for the Pixar presents - The Academy Award for Best Pixar Movie made by Pixar category.

So true :lol

Steppenwolf said:
Similar theme and tone as City of God (which i consider a masterpiece) but really crappy in comparison.

Oh please. Outside of the shooting style and the surface narrative glimpses of of children growing up in poverty and crime-stricken areas the two films are completely different. Don't get me wrong, I think City of God is a better movie, but I think comparing the two is wrong.

Chichikov

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Also, I think that it was a pretty damn fine year overall. If you want me to back it up, I point first to Ebert's top 20 of the year list; I've only seen about half of the movies on it, but I thought that they were all good to great films.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/12/the_best_films_of_2009.html

I will admit that it was, perhaps, a weak year in terms of the mainstream cinema, but I think that there were a lot of small- and mid-sized films that were just wonderful (such as Goodbye Solo, for example).
I should have qualified it as "a terrible year for Hollywood".
This all due the writer's strike.
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Goodfellas is about ten echelons higher than City of God, which is a great movie on its own merits.
Yes and yes (just so you don't go on hating me too much ;) ).

Dresden said:
Agreed. It's sad how it's almost a mandate that Pixar will win.
Seriously.
Coraline is such a fantastic film, sadly, it's nominated for the Pixar presents - The Academy Award for Best Pixar Movie made by Pixar category.

WillyFive

Door2Dawn said:
Can anyone explain to me why Avatar should win best picture?

It is tied for most nominations this year.

It was critically acclaimed.

And it created a new way to make movies.

Only thing that may hurt it is that it is a very popular movie among the public.

noisome07 said:
Now you're going too far :( sorry.

Oh come on, seriously? Of all places, a user from a place as big as NeoGAF should know how wildly opinions can vary. It is essential to surviving here from my experience.

Door2Dawn said:

Not a GOOD one.

Edit: Chich, I could never hate you. You have different opinions on film than most people, but you never make any argument without outlining your reasons clearly and concisely. Plus, we have a common love of the Coen Brothers.

Defcon

Banned
Door2Dawn said:

It's an amazing achievement in cinema? What is "Best Picture?" I don't agree it should win but it surely deserves to be nominated. The Hurt Locker shouldn't even be in there at all.

noisome07

Banned
Defcon said:
It's an amazing achievement in cinema? What is "Best Picture?" I don't agree it should win but it surely deserves to be nominated. The Hurt Locker shouldn't even be in there at all.

Shots fired!

Veidt

Door2Dawn said:
Then shouldn't it win art direction and or Cinematography, and not best picture?
Simple story that reached out to a lot of people worldwide across cultures and made them actually feel something for creatures that aren't even meant to be human. That's a pretty good picture right there.

Chichikov

Willy105 said:
Only thing that may hurt it is that it is a very popular movie among the public.
The academy had never "punished" a movie for being popular.
Quite the opposite actually.
In fact, I'll go as far as saying that there is no way that Avatar was being nominated if it wasn't the highest grossing film of all time.

Jibril said:
Simple story that reached out to a lot of people worldwide across cultures and made them actually feel something for creatures that aren't even meant to be human. That's a pretty good picture right there.
Wrap up the trophy, ladies and gentlemen. Cameron has done the unachievable!

Defcon said:
:lol You make Willy look good.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Jibril said:
Yeah it is good, but good enough to win best picture? I don't think so imo.

Veidt

DevelopmentArrested said:
Wrap up the trophy, ladies and gentlemen. Cameron has done the unachievable!

Say what you will, but being able to connect to a wider audience in a respectable manner is quite an achievement. :p

Chichikov said:
The academy had never "punished" a movie for being popular.
Quite the opposite actually.
In fact, I'll go as far as saying that there is no way that Avatar was being nominated if it wasn't the highest grossing film of all time.

The Dark Knight says hi.

Chichikov

Jibril said:
made them actually feel something for creatures that aren't even meant to be human.
Not gonna go into the whole Avatar debate again, but seriously man?
You can't really think that, right?

FlawlessCowboy said:
The Dark Knight says hi.
I didn't say every high grossing film wins, I say that the Academy has no problems giving awards to very popular ones.

Veidt

Chichikov said:
Not gonna go into the whole Avatar debate again, but seriously man?
You can't really think that, right?

Okay, they're meant to be "*blank*able" thus their human aspect can't be ignored. But seriously, some people make sound like Avatar was utter garbage and achieved nothing, while it was an alright film and great in some aspects. :lol

Timber said:
bizarre thread

It's like you've landed in a strange dimension isn't it. lol

WillyFive

FlawlessCowboy said:
The Dark Knight says hi.

I'm guessing it was more of the Academy's well publicized hate for fantasy things like superheroes, animated movies and comedies.

In fact, only two animated movies have been nominated in all time, one this year, and only one fantasy film has won Best Picture: Return of the King.

Jibril said:
Okay, they're meant to be "*blank*able" thus their human aspect can't be ignored. But seriously, some people make sound like Avatar was utter garbage and achieved nothing, while it was an alright film and great in some aspects. :lol

It's like you've landed in a strange dimension isn't it. lol

Avatar is the definition of a film that is okay. It is just lucky enough to be 'okay' in a very broad way that makes it appeal to a very wide and international audience.

WrikaWrek

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
No it isn't. And popularity does not factor into a conversation about the quality of a product. Here's an example?

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers2.htm

I think New Moon is the best movie of the year, because it was able to connect with a whole lot of girls across the world. Probably the hardest demographic out there.

It did so, not by splashing insane visual effects at your face, but by simple story telling, making girls fall in love with sparkling demons and muscled wolves. With 50 million and the power of love, the movie made over 700 million worldwide.

Veidt

crazy at people comparing avatar to TF2 and New Moon :lol

bizarre thread indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom