• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabanton

Touchdown said:
I really hope Precious wins best picture. One of those movies that stays with you for a while after watching it.

Dear lord no.

I actually have to agree with master troll Armond White's assesment of the film a choice quote from his review.

Full of brazenly racist clichés (Precious steals and eats an entire bucket of fried chicken), it is a sociological horror show. Offering racist hysteria masquerading as social sensitivity, it’s been acclaimed on the international festival circuit that usually disdains movies about black Americans as somehow inartistic and unworthy.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Chichikov said:
I think The Hurt Locker was a distinctly average film, but it's still much better written than Inglorious Bastards.
As far as directing, it's not even close; Tarantino is an average director at best, and this probably his worst directed movie.

And none of this has anything to do with Avatar.

I have to disagree with that. You're talking to a (relatively new)QT fan here ;)
Seriously though, I have re-watched IB a few times now since I bought it. And it still holds up in quality of story and dialogue.
And yes it does have something to do with avatar. If THL wins:
-JC's Ex-wife won
-Movie that made the least on the list won.
These are enough incentives for some people to shift their votes towards THL. The reason THL is getting this great amount of hype surrounding it, does undoubtedly have to do with these two factors.

If none of that was relevant and was proven not to be, then we'd probably see IB up there as a serious contender against Avatar.

;)

P.S
It's like the real best picture battle is already happening here:
IB vs THL.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I hope The Hurt Locker wins. There's no good reason for Avatar to win.

There have been better "big ass, special effects extravaganza" movies that didn't win, and it makes zero sense for Avatar to win.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
DennisK4 said:
Avatar can get all the technical awards, probably deserves them, but best picture?

I thought the story in Avatar was unbearably cheezy. Dripping with 'white man among the noble savages' sappiness. Ugh.

Who am I kidding. It is going to win. I mean Dances with Wolves won, so this remake probably will too.
Dances With Wolves might have been manipulative, but it is so much better conceptualized than Avatar, even with Kevin Costner. Avatar treats killing from the Navi as if it is just. But Dances With Wolves at least in a few scenes portrays violence from the Native Americans just as reprehensible. Although the audience is obviously supposed to be rooting for Costner's rampage at the end, at least it doesn't end in a typical action set piece devoid of much meaning.

Chichikov said:
I think The Hurt Locker was a distinctly average film, but it's still much better written than Inglorious Bastards.
As far as directing, it's not even close; Tarantino is an average director at best, and this probably his worst directed movie.

It's the weakest list I can remember, which make sense, as this is one of the weakest years in memory.

I like you a lot, Chich, but this post is very full of wrong.

Jibril said:
I have to disagree with that. You're talking to a (relatively new)QT fan here ;)
Seriously though, I have re-watched IB a few times now since I bought it. And it still holds up in quality of story and dialogue.
-JC's Ex-wife won
These are enough incentives for some people to shift their votes towards THL. The reason THL is getting this great amount of hype surrounding it, does undoubtedly have to do with these two factors.

If none of that was relevant and was proven not to be, then we'd probably see IB up there as a serious contender against Avatar.

;)

Except THL is generally regarded by critics as the better film? Why not just add the fact that Bigelow is a woman therefore she gets sympathy votes, to the list too? Guess what? Even if IB was a better film than THL, it would still lose to Avatar. And again, THL was the front-runner before either Avatar or IB came out. THL has gotten buzz since TIFF 08, this idea that it's getting some kind of Anti-Avatar late push is laughable at best. If anything, because of the THL's Co-Producer's email/brain fart, Avatar is winning back momentum.

FYI, the idea that the Hurt Locker made the least (which it didn't - A Serious Man did) changes the voting zeigeist is as plausible as me saying that Avatar will win because it's the #1 grossing movie of all-time. But right, the Academy has a Cameron-bias hence why they gave him Oscars before..... Sorry your logic. It fails.

Timber

Jibril said:
I agree. The Hurt Locker support seems to only be there to flick finger at Avatar
i am SEETHING with animosity right now

Willy105 said:
I was under an impression that Crash was one of the best choices for Best Pictures they have done this decade.
you must have seen the other Crash

Dresden

WrikaWrek said:
I hope The Hurt Locker wins. There's no good reason for Avatar to win.

There have been better "big ass, special effects extravaganza" movies that didn't win, and it makes zero sense for Avatar to win.
Because Avatar is clearly on the same level with Transformers or 2012, amirite?

Don't really care much who wins what since last year was awful for movies. Can't get worse then the last Oscars with Slumdog Millionaire tho.

I only would be disappointed if Waltz doesn't win best supporting actor. He really deserves it.

Chichikov

Jibril said:
-JC's Ex-wife won

;)
As relatively old QT hater, let's agree to disagree (I'd gladly fight you over this, but I'd rather not poo poo this thread too much).

Also, The Hurt Locker was considered an Oscar threat way before Avatar was even released.
Sure, it got more buzz as the ceremony approached, but that's how these things works every year.
Just look at Avatar's buzz, it went from being a long shot for nomination to the front runner.
It's just the nature of the game.

WillyFive

Steppenwolf said:
Don't really care much who wins what since last year was awful for movies. Can't get worse then the last Oscars with Slumdog Millionaire tho.

I only would be disappointed if Waltz doesn't win best supporting actor. He really deserves it.

What? Wall-E should have won but Slumdog Millionaire was a fantastic movie. Last year was really great.

2007 however....

Timber said:

I guess you are right. I was always confused at the hate for that movie here.

This is the one I am talking about:

Crash_ver2.jpg

It was directed by Paul Higgins, and won Best Picture in 2005.

I wasn't talking about this one:

Crash1996movieposter.jpg

I haven't seen it, but that poster looks awful.

Jibril said:
good one :lol

I totally agree with him. The Hurt Locker was not my favorite film of last year, but it was clearly ONE of the best; this strange backlash that it has gotten recently puzzles and saddens me.

Edit: Ah, I see now, Chich, that you are a general hater of QT. Fair enough, then; as QT is the most Tarantino of all of the Tarantino movies, it would make perfect sense that you would dislike it. I personally think that Tarantino is one of the most wonderful writer-directors working today in terms of creating satisfying filmic experiences with interesting characters, but I'm not willing to battle with somebody who does not like the man's work.

Dresden

Willy105 said:
What? Wall-E should have won but Slumdog Millionaire was a fantastic movie. Last year was really great.

2007 however....
No TDK nomination means that fanboys were left upset and unsatisfied.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The Hurt Locker - shallow, at times farcical, and poorly shot. And that's coming from someone who digs Strange Days and Point Break.

Avatar - technical marvel, underwhelming screenplay. Full impressions here (and by full I mean make sure you don't need to pee before you click).

Up - great first 15 minutes, beyond that a formulaic, if entertaining, kid flick.

District 9 - starts out in a dry docu format and finishes as a balls-out actioner. Somewhere in the middle it's at its best, but the early bits set things up well and the action payoff is indeed pretty badass. Interesting choice of main characters, too.

Inglourious Basterds - possibly Tarantino's best, and at the very least his most mature and carefully crafted film. Perfect crescendos of tension as each act plays out.

Working on the rest, haven't been watching enough flicks recently.

Hopefully someone can find a suitable "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS POST" enormous flashing animated gif as a response to this, since I don't have one on-hand.

Chichikov

Dresden said:
Because Avatar is clearly on the same level with Transformers or 2012, amirite?
urrite.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I like you a lot, Chich, but this post is very full of wrong.
What part of it?
Despite my sometime combative stance in such debate, in real life I'm well aware and accepting of the fact that many people don't share my taste in movies, and in the case of Avatar, many many many many many people.
However, if you think we had a good year in movies, you'll have to back it up a bit.

WrikaWrek

Banned
EviLore said:
The Hurt Locker - shallow, at times farcical, and poorly shot. And that's coming from someone who digs Strange Days and Point Break.

--- // ---

Hopefully someone can find a suitable "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS POST" enormous flashing animated gif as a response to this, since I don't have one on-hand.

Funny, that's how i feel about your points about The Hurt Locker.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dabanton said:
Yeah The Hurt Locker is a good film but it's pretty empty once you watch it once or twice. The hype it's garnered is a little weird.

As for Avatar it's a very good film,the amount of shit it gets is hilarious yes the story is simple but it's enjoyable and i would love to see it take home Best Picture.
My problem with Avatar is that I felt like it didn't earn its big moments. However, I wouldn't mind seeing it win an award for technical achievement.

WillyFive

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
2007 was, like, the best year of the whole damn decade.

I don't know about that, but the Oscar show that year left me hating the Oscars for a long while.

No Country for Old Men winning was a joke. Juno deserved that award.

Willy105 said:

2007 however....

I guess you are right. I was always confused at the hate for that movie here.

This is the one I am talking about:

Crash_ver2.jpg

It was directed by Paul Higgins, and won Best Picture in 2005.

I wasn't talking about this one:

Crash1996movieposter.jpg

I haven't seen it, but that poster looks awful.
Yeah, 2007 was filled with so many freaking incredible movies, it blows my mind. Best year of the decade by far.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Willy105 said:
I don't know about that, but the Oscar show that year left me hating the Oscars for a long while.

You really think this?

Dresden

Willy105 said:

Trolling shouldn't be so obvious. You know the GAF-hate for anything Diablo Cody.

WillyFive

Dresden said:
Trolling shouldn't be so obvious. You know the GAF-hate for anything Diablo Cody.

Who's Diablo Cody?

WrikaWrek said:
You really think this?

You bet I do.

I didn't while I was watching the show since I haven't seen either one, but when I finally saw No Country for Old Men and then I saw Juno, I was less than pleased at the Oscars.

Solo

Timber said:
i am SEETHING with animosity right now

David Cronenberg's Crash >> Paul Haggis' Crash. Sex in car wreckage >> pretentious racial drama.

Chichikov

EviLore said:
In my short foray into the official Inglorious Bastards thread, I've been bombarded with pretty much every gif on the internet, I'm sure you can find a suitable one there.

GhaleonEB

I'm expecting Hurt Locker to take both Picture and Director, but I'd like to see them split with Avatar taking the former. Don't think that's likely though.

And speaking of unlikely, Coraline should win Best Animated Film, but won't. Dammit. :(

WrikaWrek

Banned
Solo said:
David Cronenberg's Crash >> Paul Haggis' Crash. Sex in car wreckage >> pretentious racial drama.

Solo, i got your back man.

I know you are lacking in >s right now, but i brought you a stack of them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here, you can just copy and paste.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm expecting Hurt Locker to take both Picture and Director, but I'd like to see them split with Avatar taking the former. Don't think that's likely though.

And speaking of unlikely, Coraline should win Best Animated Film, but won't. Dammit. :(

I could slightly understand Cameron winning Director, because of the scale of the production. That said, the movie itself does quite reflect the award.

Dresden

GhaleonEB said:

Agreed. It's sad how it's almost a mandate that Pixar will win.

WillyFive

GhaleonEB said:

It would be odd if they didn't give the award to Up, but then again, it's also up for Best Picture, so if they plan for Up to win it, they could give Best Animated Film to another movie.

Chichikov said:
urrite.

What part of it?
Despite my sometime combative stance in such debate, in real life I'm well aware and accepting of the fact that many people don't share my taste in movies, and in the case of Avatar, many many many many many people.
However, if you think we had a good year in movies, you'll have to back it up a bit.

Well, I guess I just can't see a world where The Hurt Locker is better-written than Inglourious Basterds. However, having subsequently seen you state that you are a long-time QT hater, I guess I am forced to relent a bit because I think we probably just could not come to an agreement on that subject.

Also, I think that it was a pretty damn fine year overall. If you want me to back it up, I point first to Ebert's top 20 of the year list; I've only seen about half of the movies on it, but I thought that they were all good to great films.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/12/the_best_films_of_2009.html

I will admit that it was, perhaps, a weak year in terms of the mainstream cinema, but I think that there were a lot of small- and mid-sized films that were just wonderful (such as Goodbye Solo, for example).

Solo

Steppenwolf said:
Similar theme and tone as City of God (which i consider a masterpiece) but really crappy in comparison.

City of God is much closer to a Brazilian Goodfellas than a Brazilian Slumdog.

xbhaskarx

Chichikov said:

It's the weakest list I can remember, which make sense, as this is one of the weakest years in memory.

I fully agree with every part of this comment.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EviLore said:

Avatar - technical marvel, underwhelming screenplay. Full impressions here (and by full I mean make sure you don't need to pee before you click).

Up - great first 15 minutes, beyond that a formulaic, if entertaining, kid flick.

District 9 - starts out in a dry docu format and finishes as a balls-out actioner. Somewhere in the middle it's at its best, but the early bits set things up well and the action payoff is indeed pretty badass. Interesting choice of main characters, too.

Inglourious Basterds - possibly Tarantino's best, and at the very least his most mature and carefully crafted film. Perfect crescendos of tension as each act plays out.
Pretty much identical.

I think IB deserves a clean sweep of the lot from what I saw. The only great movie. District 9 being the only other standing on it's own feet(Though it is quite flawed, I still loved it). The rest of the lot was allot of meh. It's sad to see it between Avatar and Hurt Locker. But these are the Oscars post Crash, so even it doesn't look all that bad even though it is shit.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Solo said:
City of God is much closer to a Brazilian Goodfellas than a Brazilian Slumdog.

True, only the slumdog part actually has in common with City of God. Because the main story arc, has almost zero to do with City of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom