• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
The guys who worked on Avatar's Visual Effects are just suiting up to pick up that Oscar. It's just a matter of showing up for them. Ridiculous :lol

xbhaskarx

The Oscars are so lame I'm starting up the bhaskar's...

Picture: The Informant
Leading: Viggo Mortensen, The Road
Supporting: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Animated: Up
Cinematography: Christian Berger, The White Ribbon
Director: Ethan and Joel Coen, A Serious Man
Documentary: The Cove
Screenplay: Joel and Ethan Coen, A Serious Man

The best part is we don't have celebrities telling lame jokes for three hours.

Also, The Blind Side is one of the best books I've read in the last few years but I'd rather poke my eyes out than watch the movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
Shanadeus said:
I expect no less than 5 awards for Avatar.
Art Direction
Cinematography
Editing
Visual Effects
Sound Mixing
Sound Editing (dunno about this one)

If there is a god, Cameron will win Best Director over Bigelow.

Dead said:
Art Direction
Cinematography
Editing
Visual Effects
Sound Mixing
Sound Editing (dunno about this one)

If there is a god, Cameron will win Best Director over Bigelow.

Since there is, he won't. Thank you, God!

mello

Danne-Danger said:
Judging by the competition -- if there's any decency left in the world -- he should win, at least a couple of them. Though I haven't yet seen A Serious Man or Up, my gut feeling is that they'd be strong contenders as well.

Up was okay. A Serious Man was boring. Avatar was fun. District 9 was innovative. Inglourious Basterds was a classic. It better win Original Screenplay, and Best Director at the very least. I'd actually love for District 9 to win something too, but when Tarantino is around there is no room for others! :D

MIMIC

Banned
Didn't see Avatar and The Hurt Locker was the most overrated film of 2009/2010, IMO. If Avatar wins then I can't complain/celebrate until I see it. But by most accounts, it doesn't deserve the Best Picture award. From what I've read, it is more than worthy of the technical awards though.

Solo

This year, sleep > Oscars. Ill watch the first 2 hours, but Ill be missing the big awards because Im done staying up til 1 watching the show when Ive got to be up at 6 the next morning.

noisome07

Banned
omg rite said:
Welp, Cameron to win best director = confirmed.

Everyone's reaction tomorrow when he wins
everything
:
3135fkx.gif

And some tears.

I haven't seen any other the movies up for best picture, etc. but I'll be watching for the meltdowns.

Dennis

Banned
Avatar can get all the technical awards, probably deserves them, but best picture?

I thought the story in Avatar was unbearably cheezy. Dripping with 'white man among the noble savages' sappiness. Ugh.

Who am I kidding. It is going to win. I mean Dances with Wolves won, so this remake probably will too.

LCfiner

DennisK4 said:
Avatar can get all the technical awards, probably deserves them, but best picture?

I thought the story in Avatar was unbearably cheezy. Dripping with 'white man among the noble savages' sappiness. Ugh.

Dances With Wolves beat Goodfellas, remember?

hamchan

DennisK4 said:

My thoughts exactly.

noisome07

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Who am I kidding. It is going to win. I mean Dances with Wolves won, so this remake probably will too.

:lol :lol

It's great that this is still a whole day away and people are already getting ready.

Rur0ni

bjork said:
ctrl+f orphan = nothing? Then to hell with these awards.
This movie was surprisingly good. I mean, my taste is probably shit according to most people's standards, I watch a lot of stuff, and find good in most things. Was much better than expected.

Dabanton

MIMIC said:
Didn't see Avatar and The Hurt Locker was the most overrated film of 2009/2010, IMO. If Avatar wins then I can't complain/celebrate until I see it. But by most accounts, it doesn't deserve the Best Picture award. From what I've read, it is more than worthy of the technical awards though.

Yeah The Hurt Locker is a good film but it's pretty empty once you watch it once or twice. The hype it's garnered is a little weird.

As for Avatar it's a very good film,the amount of shit it gets is hilarious yes the story is simple but it's enjoyable and i would love to see it take home Best Picture.

picks:

Best Pic: Avatar (Hurt Locker is the better movie though)
Best Director: Bigelow
Best Actor: Bridges
Best Actress: Bullock
Best S. Actor: Waltz
Best S. Actress: Monique
Best A. Screenplay: Up in the Air
Best O. Screenplay: I Basterds

Dresden

hamchan said:
Prepare to be sad when it loses!!
I've seen almost every movie except for The Blind Side on that list, and I liked every single one except for The Blind Side. I thought Avatar was the clear best out of that lot (because it was clear Basterds would never win and Moon wasn't even nominated), but if some of the others took it home, I'd be fine.

I think the only thing GAF will agree on is that The Blind Side winning would be some epic trollage.

Veidt

DevelopmentArrested said:
picks:

Best Pic: Avatar (Hurt Locker is the better movie though)
Best Director: Bigelow
Best Actor: Bridges
Best Actress: Bullock
Best S. Actor: Waltz
Best S. Actress: Monique
Best A. Screenplay: Up in the Air
Best O. Screenplay: I Basterds

What did you find in the Hurt Locker, that was better than Inglourious Basterds? I really enjoyed that one ( I'm a self proclaimed QT fanatic though).

Personally, I think the race should have been Inglourious vs Avatar..

MIMIC

Banned
Dabanton said:
Yeah The Hurt Locker is a good film but it's pretty empty once you watch it once or twice. The hype it's garnered is a little weird.

As for Avatar it's a very good film,the amount of shit it gets is hilarious yes the story is simple but it's enjoyable and i would love to see it take home Best Picture.

The Hurt Locker & Paranormal Activity: HYPED TO UNBELIEVABLE HEIGHTS.

They were both very good films (more people tend to disagree with that sentiment regarding Paranormal Activity) but neither one was THAT good.

Dresden

Jibril said:
What did you find in the Hurt Locker, that was better than Inglourious Basterds? I really enjoyed that one ( I'm a self proclaimed QT fanatic though).
Personally, I thought IB was a much better film.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I fully expect Avatar to win even though it shouldn't. So I won't be too upset.

Part of me kind of wants it to win now because I'm starting to think the anti-Avatar responses here will be more amusing than the pro-Avatar responses if it loses.

Veidt

Dresden said:
Personally, I thought IB was a much better film.
Yes. Yes it was.
IB was so well written and a great piece of work. Every single bit of that film is an achievement, seriously. As is Avatar, that film is an achievement. Which is why I don't get why Hurt Locker has been getting this push all of a sudden.

Dresden

Jibril said:
Yes. Yes it was.
IB was so well written and a great piece of work. Every single bit of that film is an achievement, seriously. As is Avatar, that film is an achievement. Which is why I don't get why Hurt Locker has been getting this push all of a sudden.
Avatar hate is strong, I guess. I think they're backing the wrong film though.

I'm conflicted with Avatar. To me in terms of the story and even action it was just okay for me but the entire experience together was awesome. I've seen the Hurt Locker but the Avatar movie experience was my favorite of the year...so I guess I'm fine with it winning awards for that reason alone.

I don't know if that speaks of the shitty movies that have released this year or its quality but I guess that's irrelevant.

Veidt

Dresden said:
Avatar hate is strong, I guess. I think they're backing the wrong film though.
I agree. The Hurt Locker support seems to only be there to flick finger at Avatar, I can't believe anyone to say it was written better than Inglourious, or even directed better (yes, the sniper fight was amazing, seriously amazing, but it had no real meaning in the context of the full story for the film, imo. Such a great thing that was never actually clearly used).

regardless, the nominees this year are great. I'm glad it isn't polluted with the usual suspects...

gdt

Something about THL left me a bit... unfulfilled. It's in my '09 top 5, but it isn't my favorite.

Dresden

Jibril said:
I agree. The Hurt Locker support seems to only be there to flick finger at Avatar, I can't believe anyone to say it was written better than Inglourious, or even directed better (yes, the sniper fight was amazing, seriously amazing, but it had no real meaning in the context of the full story for the film, imo. Such a great thing that was never actually clearly used).

regardless, the nominees this year are great. I'm glad it isn't polluted with the usual suspects...
Dude, the Blind Side. And for some people, Avatar is the biggest pollution of them all. :D

Jibril said:

You do know that The Hurt Locker has been getting acclaim and buzz since TIFF (September 2008), right? The idea that people are only gravitating towards it because of Avatar hate is ludicrous. THL was the Best Pic front-runner before Avatar even came out.

And I didn't care for IB except for the one bar scene. Won't get into it more than that!

Chichikov

Jibril said:
The Hurt Locker support seems to only be there to flick finger at Avatar, I can't believe anyone to say it was written better than Inglourious, or even directed better (yes, the sniper fight was amazing, seriously amazing, but it had no real meaning in the context of the full story for the film, imo. Such a great thing that was never actually clearly used).
I think The Hurt Locker was a distinctly average film, but it's still much better written than Inglorious Bastards.
As far as directing, it's not even close; Tarantino is an average director at best, and this probably his worst directed movie.

And none of this has anything to do with Avatar.

Jibril said:
It's the weakest list I can remember, which make sense, as this is one of the weakest years in memory.

Dabanton

gdt5016 said:
Something about THL left me a bit... unfulfilled. It's in my '09 top 5, but it isn't my favorite.

It's one of those films that once you've seen it,the third and fourth watch drains it of it's power. The first time i watched THL it was tense and scary,second watch it was ok, third my mind wandered.

It's an Iraq war film that's not really about Iraq, it says nothing new or interesting about the conflict.

I'm really hoping for a surprise Inglourious Basterds win. Haven't seen The Hurt Locker yet however.

I can't believe Avatar is even considered a front runner.

WillyFive

I was under an impression that Crash was one of the best choices for Best Pictures they have done this decade.

XMonkey said:
In what way?

I'm guessing in portraying a sci-fi movie as a serious documentary over something that actually happened instead of just a narrative story,

Dabanton said:
It's an Iraq war film that's not really about Iraq, it says nothing new or interesting about the conflict.
Okay and? It never tries to. At all. The film is completely apolitical as Bigelow and Boal intended it to be. Way to shit on it for something it distinctly wasn't trying to do in the first place? Hurt Locker is an intense action movie, not a documentary. It might as well be set in some mean streets of Shanghai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom