• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defunkled

InsertNameHere said:
I live in the quietest section of campus, but I can hear screams and horns and yelling coming from somewhere. Sounds like a war.

It's terrifying.

Ha, I feel like I'm reading a report from a war correspondent every time I read your posts. Stay safe!

Ninja Scooter said:
Why? If guys can go pro let them go
Pro, I say. It's not the job of broke 18 year olds to ensure the survival of the college game.

Makes rebuilding of teams go much slower, also makes Juniors like Evan Turner look like superstars for beating up on Freshman, also can show if a guy will only play hard in a contract year by having to play multiple years in college. The NBA wants it. I don't want it, I want the Jazz to get Anthony Davis next year :(

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Well I guess all the banners n shit on the UConn campus won't go to waste. Thy just need to remember to cross out WO

An-Det

InsertNameHere said:
I live in the quietest section of campus, but I can hear screams and horns and yelling coming from somewhere. Sounds like a war.

It's terrifying.

I wish I was on campus right now. Everything I am hearing makes me quite jealous.

Ninja Scooter said:
Why? If guys can go pro let them go
Pro, I say. It's not the job of broke 18 year olds to ensure the survival of the college game.

Everyone that has a vote would be in favor of it. Current players don't want the competition for their salaries, and the owners would like an extra year before they sign a big ass check to a kid.

Vire said:
41 points? Are you serious?

This shit is embarrassing.
It really was one of the most physical games I've ever seen.

The refs swallowed the whistles which I liked.

I remember one play where a UConn player was going for a rebound and a Butler player BLATANTLY PUSHED him like he was pass blocking in football.

No call. You could hear the UConn player SCREAM "WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUU" lol

Good stuff.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So the ONLY team I had left in the Final Four..winning it all.. was the same team that won it all.

and I ended up in 11th place.....

yeah NCAA GAF is free.

EDIT: Yahoo just updated...I was 4th!

ConfusingJazz said:
Everyone that has a vote would be in favor of it. Current players don't want the competition for their salaries, and the owners would like an extra year before they sign a big ass check to a kid.

Not saying it won't happen, but I just don't agree with it, especially if one of the reasons is "save dumbass owners from themselves".

Ninja Scooter said:
Not saying it won't happen, but I just don't agree with it, especially if one of the reasons is "save dumbass owners from themselves".

I know you are a fan of the pro game, which is why you love USC so much.

Obvious, I know.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
FINAL GAF BRACKET STANDINGS

1 Cooter's Gold 107 *
2 MY BRACKET IS READY 107
3 Hookers And Blow 103

Cooter wins by tiebreak. MY BRACKET IS READY had a total of 185 for his tiebreaker. Maybe with 10 overtimes.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
chuckddd said:

1 Cooter's Gold 107 *
3 Hookers And Blow 103

Cooter wins by tiebreak. MY BRACKET IS READY had a total of 185 for his tiebreaker. Maybe with 10 overtimes.

who's #4???????

TeegsD

Ugh, part of me wants to drive to UConn as a bunch of kids on my floor are but I don't think it'll be as wild as last time. Due to whatever those rabblerousers did after the F4 win, they have tons of cops posted everywhere. No car flipping for me :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
uk would have panicked, shot even worse than uconn or butler, brandon knight would have driven to the hoop and thrown away the ball fifty times in a row, i would have ripped my hair out, firebombed an orphanage to alleviate my rage on the way to tudor's biscuit world.

bill0527

I blame that dome.

No basketball game should ever be held in that venue again.

This was an awful Final Four from a shooting standpoint. The rims sucked, and the sight lines in that venue must have been god awful. This Final Four set basketball back to levels of pre- 3 point shot. Naismith's first team shooting granny shots could have given us as much excitement as what we saw on the court this weekend.

If the NCAA is going to have their Final Four in those huge fucking cavernous football stadiums, they need to start putting the big black drapes down behind the rims like I've seen them do in other domes. If they don't, then get ready for more Final Fours like this one.

ConfusingJazz said:
I know you are a fan of the pro game, which is why you love USC so much.

Obvious, I know.

I like college sports too, I just think if guys are good enough (or more importantly, if teams want to sign/draft them) they should be allowed to go pro. It's hard to play the "high school players are bad for the league" card when all the major faces of the NBA are high schoolers or one and done players. The college game should have to adjust.

bill0527 said:
I blame that dome.

No basketball game should ever be held in that venue again.

This was an awful Final Four from a shooting standpoint. The rims sucked, and the sight lines in that venue must have been god awful. This Final Four set basketball to levels of pre- 3 point shot. Naismith's first time shooting granny shots could have given us as much excitement as what we saw on the court this weekend.
There's something to be said for the sight line effect, or whatever it is that makes usually good shooting teams poo the bed in domes. It happens way too often to be coincidence.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
chuckddd said:

1 Cooter's Gold 107 *
3 Hookers And Blow 103

Nice.

chuckddd said:

1 Cooter's Gold 107 *
3 Hookers And Blow 103

Third place in the gaf league, first place in my work league. The work league was actually worth something so I'll take it!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ninja Scooter said:
I like college sports too, I just think if guys are good enough (or more importantly, if teams want to sign/draft them) they should be allowed to go pro. It's hard to play the "high school players are bad for the league" card when all the major faces of the NBA are high schoolers or one and done players. The college game should have to adjust.
Not all of them are, and for every LeBron, Amare or Kobe, you have 10 more Kwame Browns, Shaun Livingstons, etc. The talent in the league is dilluted and at least 60% of the teams are completely irrelevant. They need to kill 4 teams at least for the health of the league. The NBA is not the NFL, a lot of teams are losing money. Having a 2 year limit would probably improve the product, its certainly not going to hurt.

I'm not completely against you, phenoms, should go when they want. The problem is identifying them without meddling agents trying to cash in on the net big thing.

I would rather make the Final 4 once than lose the National Championship twice.

For mid majors, I find this more embarrassing for Butler to lose than VCU. VCU would have won this game....and this make their loss to Butler even more painful.

All in all, people are going to see Bulters more like choke losers that can't get the job done instead of a great mid major team that got to the title game twice. Luckily, VCU isn't typecasted with that.

And yes, I really wanted Bulter to win.

truly101 said:
Not all of them are, and for every LeBron, Amare or Kobe, you have 10 more Kwame Browns, Shaun Livingstons, etc. The talent in the league is dilluted and at least 60% of the teams are completely irrelevant. They need to kill 4 teams at least for the health of the league. The NBA is not the NFL, a lot of teams are losing money. Having a 2 year limit would probably improve the product, its certainly not going to hurt.

I'm not completely against you, phenoms, should go when they want. The problem is identifying them without meddling agents trying to cash in on the net big thing.

and for every Tim Duncan or Shane Battier you have a bunch of 3 and 4 year college players that go to the league and suck. Take Kwame for example. Is he more of a failure for going pro, making $40 million and sucking? Or would a better career path for him have been to go to college, be exposed in 2 or 3 years and end up undrafted and playing in Europe? Most of the guys who get drafted make enough money that if they wanted to they could go back to school and pay for a college degree 10 times over.

IMO the league should just do something similar to what baseball does. Allow high school guys to get drafted, expand the D-league and make rookie contracts 2 years non-guaranteed.

Shin Dynamo X said:
I would rather make the Final 4 once than lose the National Championship twice.

For mid majors, I find this more embarrassing for Butler to lose than VCU. VCU would have won this game....and this make their loss to Butler even more painful.

All in all, people are going to see Bulters more like choke losers that can't get the job done instead of a great mid major team that got to the title game twice. Luckily, VCU isn't typecasted with that.

And yes, I really wanted Bulter to win.

No one will see Butler that way at all..........

Ninja Scooter said:
and for every Tim Duncan or Shane Battier you have a bunch of 3 and 4 year college players that go to the league and suck. Take Kwame for example. Is he more of a failure for going pro, making $40 million and sucking? Or would a better career path for him have been to go to college, be exposed in 2 or 3 years and end up undrafted and playing in Europe? Most of the guys who get drafted make enough money that if they wanted to they could go back to school and pay for a college degree 10 times over.

IMO the league should just do something similar to what baseball does. Allow high school guys to get drafted, expand the D-league and make rookie contracts 2 years non-guaranteed.

B.J. Mullens, C, Ohio State
Mullens didn't play in the Olympics or at LeBron's camp, but as NBA scouts have scoured footage this summer, more and more are saying that the Buckeyes' freshman is the odds-on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2009 draft.

"You look at his size, his athleticism and his skill level and he's the guy, more than anyone else in this draft, that stands out," one NBA scout said. "If anyone in this draft has the potential to be a dominant NBA player, it's him. I'm not saying he'll get there. He's got a lot to work on. The NBA always has had a love affair with big guys and no big guy in the draft has the potential of Mullens. If I was a betting man, I'd say he goes No. 1."

I know it is ridiculously early to be talking about this, but I'm actually fairly persuaded by their arguments. If you look at the potential five worst teams in the league -- the Nets, Knicks, Thunder, Grizzlies and Timberwolves -- all of them need a prime-time center. Only two of them, the Knicks and Timberwolves, are really in the market for a point guard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080922

That is why the one-and-done rule is in. And the talent level in the NBA isn't watered-down at all, it's at the highest level it's ever been.

DrMungo

Ninja Scooter said:

This is true. I love watching both NCAA and NBA. But time to time I watch "Hoops Dreams" to remind myself what this crazy product is all about.

Bomani Jones had a great article on ESPN today about how the NCAA pushes this mirage of "student-athlete" during March Madness because its a great marketing ploy.Because if they showed what it really is, ie, a farm-league for the pros, no one would be interested.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080922

That is why the one-and-done rule is in. And the talent level in the NBA isn't watered-down at all, it's at the highest level it's ever been.

If we are just going to try and save dumb GMs/owners from their own stupidity, I'd rather just adjust the contract lengths/size for rookies than just outright ban players from going pro. And it's not like rookie contracts are killing teams anyway. Teams aren't going broke because of they have underachieving players on rookie deals, they are going broke because they give VETERAN players stupidass, gigantic contracts.

TeegsD

Lunchbox said:
pep rally at 3:30

governor said parade this weekend. who wants free shirts?

Going to UConn this weekend for B.o.B, you have any idea where exactly is the parade this weekend?

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

GM's are dumb, BJ played high school right next to mine and I watched him play a lot. He was pretty bad then, only reason he was graded so high was he was a foot taller than everyone else. You could tell he was soft in every way and could not compete against same sized talent. Hell I dont know how they couldnt see it when he played here at OSU too.

Lunchbox

Banned
BLSwagger10 said:
Going to UConn this weekend for B.o.B, you have any idea where exactly is the parade this weekend?
pep rally is at bradley when the team lands at 3 tomorrow

they just announced that the governor said he's gonna make sure theres a parade this weekend on the news. nothing specific yet, they'll probably have all the info by thursday night

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
18.8% from the field. The most epically bad shooting performance ever in a title game. God awful. I bet the Women's title game will have a higher final score than this terrible trash.

TeegsD

Lunchbox said:
pep rally is at bradley when the team lands at 3 tomorrow

they just announced that the governor said he's gonna make sure theres a parade this weekend on the news. nothing specific yet, they'll probably have all the info by thursday night

Nice. I was so pumped to go there already because last time was amazing, but now I'm even more pumped.

DarkWish

lazybones18 said:
VCU would have put up a better fight

Probably would have won too
Yea, sucks that we couldn't make it to the final.

On a side note, I saw Joey Rodriguez and Ed Nixon at the student commons at VCU today. Weird cause I usually never really saw them around campus much, but they were chillin at the commons for like two hours today, so I went up and told them great job this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom