• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

Xigh9kd.jpg

the saints flow.

Aside from the shitty launch, the livery is more interesting than previous years. Also, I'm in no doubt that the car will be fast

What a joke
Sounds like a typical Red Bull hater, if you ask me. Not sure what's wrong with them. 3 titles in a row, lalala.

xptoxyz

They might as well not invite press or anyone, just release the approved photos, and show up at testing. Ridiculous.

Adamm

I Will never understand these idiot posts hating on rbr. Ah well i Will continue getting my Joy out of the fact That They are triple world champions :)

You really don't understand? Or do you just dislike it when people criticize the team you support?

cmr-94

Sounds like a typical Red Bull hater, if you ask me. Not sure what's wrong with them. 3 titles in a row, lalala.

Trust me, I'm not a hater. I just don't agree with how the launch has been handled. Just my opinion

I even think Vettels truly underrated :D

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well... that is a pretty terrible livery. But it is purple, and that's something different at least. I'm interested to see what it looks like in the daylight.

But seriously, what were they thinking? That livery is a downright mess.

RayStorm

It looks to me like most of the purple parts of the RB-livery are actually reflected lights. Why they are present in the press shots however I don't quite understand.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
So Mercedes launch tomorrow, they have a shake-down & filming day at Jerez and then it all begins in earnest on Tuesday.

h3ro

It looks to me like most of the purple parts of the RB-livery are actually reflected lights. Why they are present in the press shots however I don't quite understand.

I think it's just a gradient paint job from the navy blue to purple. The fact it's in the same place on the press shots kind of confirms it's not lighting based. If it was purple lighting being shone on the car, then the Infinite logo on the sidepod wouldn't be white.

RayStorm

I think it's just a gradient paint job from the navy blue to purple. The fact it's in the same place on the press shots kind of confirms it's not lighting based. If it was purple lighting being shone on the car, then the Infinite logo on the sidepod wouldn't be white.

Comparing the Infiniti logo and lettering on the sidepod:

On the second shot there are 3 purple lines: one at the top of the logo, one in the middle and one below the lettering. The middle and bottom line is missing on the first picture.

Omiee

love the purple.

also by making the sidepods slimmer they now have the excaust almost directly behind the difuser.

On the second shot there are 3 purple lines: one at the top of the logo, one in the middle and one below the lettering. The middle and bottom line is missing on the first picture.

....what? The horizontal white lines are specular highlights from, you guessed it, lights. The purple paint, however, is paint.

It does look horrible though. It would look much nicer is just the entire sidepod was a solid purple (and perhaps more of the side of the nose).

Pimpwerx

If RBR is trying to conceal something from cameras, why not just leave it off the car completely? It's not like cars launch with all the fiddly bits on them. Their secrecy seems really bizarre. PEACE.

If RBR is trying to conceal something from cameras, why not just leave it off the car completely? It's not like cars launch with all the fiddly bits on them. Their secrecy seems really bizarre. PEACE.

Doesn't really work if it's in how the suspension or something like that is packaged, unless they cover it up.

That said, those press shots show the rear end fairly clearly so I'm guessing it's not that (the rear end on that thing is amazing though).

As long as this season is somewhat like the previous one I won't mind. Multiple winners, championship down to the final race, ect.

Yeah. While I wouldn't be too keen about Vettel winning it again, last season had some magnificent races and a great title fight, up until the second half of the season.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
New image of the Mercedes

OJpVhjb.png

Look at the engine intake :) New shapes are always exciting
Some rumours going ahead regarding that air intake, roll hoop. Saying its some sort of ddrs device, the rear wing is way too shallow otherwise.

acm2000

Some rumours going ahead regarding that air intake, roll hoop. Saying its some sort of dudes device, the rear wing is way too shallow otherwise.

more of a case of thats where the garage door cut the image off when this pic was made, thats all, top of rear wing and roll hoop all cut off in a dead straight line

Shaneus

So, how long until STR? And when are we supposed to see the Mercedes*?

*Just want to see for the look on Hamilton's face for it. Super awks?

Zozobra

Hi guys,

Being here in Canada, my options for watching the races live are somewhat limited (still really unfortunate there isn't an official F1 streaming service), but I hear the BBC has pretty good streaming coverage through their website (albeit not for every race and only available to those in the UK).

I was thinking about getting some sort of VPN service so I could watch the races live, but I guess I'm just looking for confirmation from someone on how much actual live F1 race coverage is done through the BBC website. Looking at their calendar, there are a number of races that indicate the race will be live on BBC TV, but I'm not sure if that means it'll also be streamed online.

That, or if someone wants to PM somewhere else I might be able to... stream these races, that would be much appreciated. Cheers, everyone.

Shaneus

Hi guys,

Being here in Canada, my options for watching the races live are somewhat limited (still really unfortunate there isn't an official F1 streaming service), but I hear the BBC has pretty good streaming coverage through their website (albeit not for every race and only available to those in the UK).

I was thinking about getting some sort of VPN service so I could watch the races live, but I guess I'm just looking for confirmation from someone on how much actual live F1 race coverage is done through the BBC website. Looking at their calendar, there are a number of races that indicate the race will be live on BBC TV, but I'm not sure if that means it'll also be streamed online.

That, or if someone wants to PM somewhere else I might be able to... stream these races, that would be much appreciated. Cheers, everyone.
Step 1: Sign up for Unblock-US. They get you access to a whole bunch of sites by using a DNS thing so you don't need a separate VPN quota. You can also access Netflix, Hulu and other stuff. It also works for BBC ;)
Step 2: Configure DNS on router.
Step 3: Create "UK" account on your PS3.
Step 4: Download BBC Sport app on PSN.
Step 5: Enjoy streaming F1 in HD on your PS3 :)

You can also do it by just configuring the DNS on your router or PC and streaming direct from the BBC website... but it's more like actual TV when it's on PS3. And it's in HD.

Chris R

Stupid Mercedes Benz commercial during the super bowl today showed someone (Nico?) driving a F1 car on a Nascar oval :( Because showing it drive on an actual circuit or road course would be too hard right?

Shaneus

STR was: “Make a note in your diaries to log on to tororosso.com on Monday 4 February at around 18h00 (Central European Time.)”

No idea on Mercedes or the others. Definitely curious about Mercedes, but couldn't give two shits about the teams that fall under the "others" category.

cmr-94

STR was: “Make a note in your diaries to log on to tororosso.com on Monday 4 February at around 18h00 (Central European Time.)”

No idea on Mercedes or the others. Definitely curious about Mercedes, but couldn't give two shits about the teams that fall under the "others" category.

ok, cheers.

Top Bottom