• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Very interested in STR launch myself. The man who is tipped be the next Newey designed it, James Key.
He designed last years Sauber, which was a great car.

Mastah

BlackBerry is new sponsor:

BCQK1gnCAAAdBiT.jpg:large

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Very interested in STR launch myself. The man who is tipped be the next Newey designed it, James Key.
He's certainly a hot property right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he's snatched up by one of the top four in the next few years.

cmr-94

Interesting front-wing end plates and the nose looks rounded? I have to say that's one nice looking car though

Salamndar

Man, Mercedes made massive changes to the car, totally new every where !

Love the back end, they were frustrated by the back end last year, hopefully it works well this year

Shaneus

I've never heard the name mentioned before (not that I can recall, anyway) but that Sauber really did surprise a lot of people, myself included. Any idea of his history prior to 2012, F1 or otherwise?

Edit: Hmm, interesting (straight from Wikipedia):
Key joined Jordan Grand Prix in 1998 spending several years as a data engineer, then became race engineer for Takuma Sato. Following a year in the Wind Tunnel he transferred to the Vehicle Dynamics department, eventually becoming the department head during the team's final few seasons as Jordan Grand Prix.

Shortly after the team's ownership transferred to MF1 Racing, he became Technical Director during the 2005 following a brief period as Technical Co-ordinator. He was one of the youngest Technical Directors of a Formula One team, at the age of 33 years, along with Sam Michael (born in 1971) who became the technical director of the Williams F1 team at the age of 33 during the 2004 season. Key retained his position during the team's transition through Spyker F1 to Force India F1.

In April 2010 he left Force India to join the Sauber team, replacing Willy Rampf as Technical Director.[1] He remained there for almost two years, before leaving in February 2012 to accept an undisclosed offer with one of the British-based teams.[2]

On 6 September 2012, it was announced that Key had joined Scuderia Toro Rosso as Technical Director, replacing Giorgio Ascanelli.[3]
Looks like somewhat of an unusual path through the F1 obstacle course.

navanman

Looks like somewhat of an unusual path through the F1 obstacle course.
He is basically doing his internship at STR. If this and next years car are a success for him, he will move into Newey's role at RBR (so people have guessed)

Shaneus

In our F1/phone analogy thing from a few months back, wasn't Mercedes Blackberry? I remember there was a Windows Phone and Apple, I'm not sure if we had a Blackberry or not.

Zeppu

In our F1/phone analogy thing from a few months back, wasn't Mercedes Blackberry? I remember there was a Windows Phone and Apple, I'm not sure if we had a Blackberry or not.

We had left out (read: ignored) both BB and Merc from the analogy. Makes prefect sense.

Salamndar

Is it me or Mercedes approach with this car seems filled with too much complicated lines, unlike RBR, Mclaren and Ferrari..................I am starting to get a negative vibe towards this car.

Do not get me wrong, the car looks nice but with more detailed pics out there my eyes can't seems to follow the lines of this car unlike the top dogs in the sport.....or it could be just me...dunno !

Nicktendo86

Wow, it really does, doesn't it? Worked out perfectly, then.

Lol, what were the others? I'd put iphone with McLaren and.. can't think any further than that.

Not sure about the new Merc, will need to see some vids. It looks tight to me at the rear end but the sidepods look a little bulky, I dunno.

Salamndar

I am not so confidant regarding Mercedes this year, could be a better year than last year but still off the pace of the big boys..............only time will tell....."keeping fingers crossed"

Mercedes and Blackberry go together lol. Red Bull are Apple obviously, Ferrari and McLaren both vary between Samsung and Sony and Lotus are Nokia.

dubc35

When is the STR unveiled?

Man, this is about the only time that living in North America is a good thing when it comes to F1. With all the unveilings while I'm sleeping I wake up to a new car every day, it's like Christmas morning all week!

Dave_6

Man, this is about the only time that living in North America is a good thing when it comes to F1. With all the unveilings while I'm sleeping I wake up to a new car every day, it's like Christmas morning all week!

You got that right!

navanman

I think the STR reveal is in 2 hours time.

cmr-94

Jean-Eric Vergne ‏@JeanEricVergne

The #STR8 will be unveiled today around 18h00 at #Jerez ! Can't wait. @ToroRossoSpy #F1

So does that mean 5.00 GMT?

navanman

Honda back in F1? Its been rumoured for a while now but Wolff mentioned that a 4th manufacturer is set to join F1 soon (not Cosworth).

Article from last year from Racecar Engineering:
Honda insiders have confirmed that the Japanese firm is contemplating a return to Formula 1 as an engine supplier.
It is claimed by many in Japan that a new 1.6 litre V6 engine has already been designed, but that the manufacturer will wait until its new for 2014 two litre turbo Formula Nippon / GT500 engine is ready before taking the F1 project further. “The rumours are not unfounded but we have not decided anything, we are constantly evaluating the situation” explained a company source.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/honda-eyes-f1-return-rules-out-wrc/

That's a very long nose. I wish they'd get rid of the tacky fake gold in their livery. Looked bad on the HRT last year and always looked bad on the TR.

Top Bottom