• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

Toro Rosso moving to Renault engines in 2014

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105416

Fixed.

That must be a blow for Ferrari, but it makes sense for STR to have the same engine as their mother team. I'm sure both want as much data as possible from the new engines.

Now that STR is out, it wouldn't surprise me if Bianchi brought some shiny new Ferrari V6 engines to Force India. He doesn't really have any big sponsors, so that would be a good way for him to get a seat.

Makes sense for both teams. Can use same gearbox and ancillaries.
I imagine Ferrari also won't be keen to give their engine to a team owned by their biggest rival.

Wasn't it the other way around? Red Bull was financing their biggest rival by buying their engines for its B Team.

The move to Renault engines makes it easier for both of them to cooperate and share data. So not having Ferrari engines clearly helps them.

Nicktendo86

WTF is going on with McLaren? I know testing is the time for your car to break and get things fixed blah blah but that didn't help last year did it? A whole morning's running wasted, I mean come on.

Adamm

WTF is going on with McLaren? I know testing is the time for your car to break and get things fixed blah blah but that didn't help last year did it? A whole morning's running wasted, I mean come on.

Yeah its only the first day of testing, a few years ago red bull skipped the first test!

Start worrying if its still happening in a few days

Nicktendo86

Yeah its only the first day of testing, a few years ago red bull skipped the first test!

Start worrying if its still happening in a few days

The thing that makes me worried is the car had reliability problems last year, especially with fuel pickup, they make a big effort over the winter to sort out reliability and on the first day we have a fuel pickup problem that wastes a whole morning of running. Doesn't fill me with confidence, but I really hope they sort it out.

Edit: Jenson back out now. Le's hope he gets some decent running in.

Edit 2: Back in the pits, 5 laps and no timed lap. :p

Zeppu

ScarbsF1 for the technical stuff and Fernando and Jenson for awesomeness. Not sure of their tags but they come up via name search.

Nah I'm already following a bunch of F1 folks, I was wondering if anyone on here had added a bunch of them to a Twitter list so I could follow that :)

Takes some time to get used to it.

M2ZhYzU.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby

First day of testing. I think that Mclaren always had problems on first test.

Mercedes out for today.

RBR and Lotus are looking very good.

Mastah

First day of testing, team has little to no spare parts, and what Chilton does? Puts it into barrier. That can easily affect whole Jerez testing, if they are short on parts.

What an intelligent and extraordinary driver, if that wasn't mechanical failure.

Dave_6

The Marussia looks really, really good. Hope their performance is up this season. The Caterham looks good only from the front IMO.

Hopefully these teams stick with the nose piece cause the step nose is horrible looking. Most of the cars are so much better looking than last years.

First day of testing, team has little to no spare parts, and what Chilton does? Puts it into barrier. That can easily affect whole Jerez testing, if they are short on parts.

What an intelligent and extraordinary driver, if that wasn't mechanical failure.

Wow, you guys ... I know he's the douchiest looking driver on the grid right now, but it's his very first day in the new car and like I said, it's expected.

Also

Gary Anderson says Max Chilton's crash was caused by a rear suspension problem - no more running until further inspection, ie rig tests

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I know I'm a bit late, but goodness. That Marussia is beautiful. That could possibly be my new favorite looking car...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Glory lap from Button ..on hard tyre :D

P Driver Team Time Laps
1 Button McLaren 1m18.861s 37
2 Webber Red Bull 1m19.709s +0.848 73
3 Grosjean Lotus 1m19.796s +0.935 54
4 di Resta Force India 1m20.343s +1.482 89
5 Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m20.401s +1.540 70
6 Massa Ferrari 1m20.536s +1.675 64
7 Hulkenberg Sauber 1m20.699s +1.838 79
8 Rosberg Mercedes 1m20.846s +1.985 11
9 Maldonado Williams 1m20.864s +2.003 84
10 vd Garde Caterham 1m21.915s +3.054 64
11 Chilton Marussia 1m24.176s +5.315 29

dubc35

Fastest lap last year (across all days) was a 1:17.613, just for comparison.

Fastest lap on the first day was 1:19.670.

Thanks. I was wondering how the times compare...even though they don't really mean anything come Melbourne.

e* just saw the new Williams livery, I like.

Ferrari seems to have a better base to build on than last year, according to Massa.

From Ted Kravitz' Twitter: "... Felipe says the car is a 'good balanced base' - a 'huge difference to last year'"

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ferrari seems to have a better base to build on than last year, according to Massa.

From Ted Kravitz' Twitter: "... Felipe says the car is a 'good balanced base' - a 'huge difference to last year'"

Very nice to hear that. Hopefully they'll be able to give a real challenge to Red Bull.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Grosjean is very happy with the car, he was on pace after 3 laps, no issues with over/understeer

Jenson is satisfied that car relates very well to their simulator

Webber complained about understeer, but it is probably set-up related. Also he sees Jerez as very hard track for tires.

The next big love of Lewis

NHale

They said the exact same thing last year. Then Australia happened...

I will wait for the same spanish sources like last year. While Alonso, Massa, Fry and Domenicali was saying everything was ok, the sources (aka Alonso's press buddies) were saying that the car was a mess and Ferrari was already in panic.

I will wait for the same spanish sources like last year. While Alonso, Massa, Fry and Domenicali was saying everything was ok, the sources (aka Alonso's press buddies) were saying that the car was a mess and Ferrari was already in panic.

I fully expect the car to be shitty once again. Let's hope they drop out of the championship race soon so they can focus on the 2014 car with all the new rules.

Been cut off from news all day, but love the look of the Marussia... purely from an aesthetic standpoint. It's quite reminiscent of late 90s cars with it's clean lines, but it does look worryingly under-developed aerodynamically.

Also I've just caught on Twitter that Bruno Senna will be driving for Aston Martin in WEC this year, so that's him out of the running for the remaining FI seats.

Completely different situation. The base of the F150° was already "okay" and Massa compared the F138 to the F2012.

While Massa and Alonso always had their PR lines ready, Fry was never really happy with the car.

February 9th:
Ferrari technical director Pat Fry has admitted he is not happy with where the new F2012 is after three days of testing at Jerez.

Fry said neither the problem nor the lap times were of particular concern, but admitted the overall package was not where the team had hoped it to be after three days at Jerez.

"I'm not happy with where we are at the moment, there's a lot of space for us to improve from where we are," he conceded "Reliability wise it's good, performance wise we're OK. We can play around with the performance and improve some corners and some particular parts of the corner, but I wouldn't say I'm happy yet until we get the whole thing working."

March 4th 2012:
Ferrari technical chief Pat Fry has admitted that at present he does not believe the team is competitive enough to finish on the podium in the Australian Grand Prix.

Then again, the important people who run this team are idiots.

The variables he is referring to is that last year they were sourcing data from both the Maranello facility and the Cologne wind tunnel used by the now defunct Toyota F1 team.

“Wind tunnel time is limited due to resource constraints, if you have results from two different channels, it becomes increasingly difficult to harmonise the interpretation of the results,” said Fry.

This coupled to the apparently faulty ‘Galleria del Vento’ at Maranello which has plagued the team for almost five years.

In July 2009 Ferrari dismissed its head of aerodynamics and wind tunnel John Iley for what La Gazzetta dello Sport reported, at the time, was a serious mistake in the area of the aerodynamics. This the team said was identified as the root of the 2009 car’s problems.

In April 2011, team principal Stefano Domenicali confirmed to Autosprint, “We have a structural problem with [the wind] tunnel. We are working to fix it.”

I mean ... how could you ... I shouldn't think about it. Gives me too much of a headache.

Omiee

did eddie really go to sky?

the more i see of the RB9 the more i love it.

cant wait to see what updates people will be using tomorrow.

Adamm

did eddie really go to sky?

the more i see of the RB9 the more i love it.

cant wait to see what updates people will be using tomorrow.

Apart from a few rumors on forums, I cannot find anywhere that says he is actually going to sky.

Not to say it isn't true, just nothing confirmed yet & Sky have delayed their "massive" announcement.

Mobius 1

Senna stepped out of the F1 circus to drive for Aston Martin on the WEC.

So I suppose the Force India seat is up for grabs now.

Seanspeed

Banned
I mean ... how could you ... I shouldn't think about it. Gives me too much of a headache.

Its not too difficult. They've had correlation issues for a while now. Every team experiences this, but Ferrari seem to have gone through particular struggles with it, forcing them to use a proven windtunnel to test their results. This probably only confused them further as no windtunnel is perfect, so they were getting two different sets of results with no way of knowing which was better. Design direction would of course suffer in the process.

For this year, *apparently* they've done the bulk of design and development in the Cologne windtunnel, but thats never a guarantee, either. The problem is that when exhaust flows are key, windtunnels aren't very useful. This is where CFD steps in, which is where I suspect the biggest deficiency at Ferrari is actually at, as Fry has admitted freely that they are behind in this area.

The combination of not being able to trust windtunnel data as much as they'd like and not being comfortable with their CFD experience leads to shaky starts and shaky development. They're a good enough team to come on top of a lot of issues, but becoming a competent championship contender(something they haven't done since 2008) involves more than that at the moment.

Just my 2 cents.

jey_16

Banned
If Ferrari are 1/2 a second back of red bull/McLaren come Australia, I would call that a win. Just can't be 1-2 seconds back like last year, its hard to make up that type of gap during the season without testing

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think that Mclaren should be very satisfied with Button observations, that car is very like their simulator model. They and RBR are two teams that are using simulators during testing to compare simulator runs with real life situation to ease 'interactive' development race during season.

Seanspeed

Banned
If Ferrari are 1/2 a second back of red bull/McLaren come Australia, I would call that a win. Just can't be 1-2 seconds back like last year, its hard to make up that type of gap during the season without testing
Its hard to make up that gap when the regulations are so stable. Most teams probably wont have the same scope for development they had in 2012. Ferrari, in particular, are likely starting with a much better base than they had in 2012, so there probably wont be any massive leaps during the season like they had in Barcelona and Canada last season. Those were cases of fixing fundamental errors, which they shouldn't have this year.

Looking at how Ferrari's development completely stalled for the last 3rd of the season, I'd say they hit a wall. I'm not sure continuing with an evolution of that car is a winning solution. Not when they were still regularly more than half a second off the pace in qualifying.

Its hard to look at history and say what evolutions were and weren't successful because the circumstances in the past were often very different. Either things were early days and there was lots of freedom for development, or there were other factors involved, like tires and engines that played a pivotal part. Never has one year been so similar to the previous one. For this reason, I think Ferrari might be doomed if they dont hit the ground running in Australia.

Its totally ridiculous of me to get overly anxious about the 1st day of testing, but I have to say, Massa's comments about Jenson's time are unnerving. I dont think Ferrari think they could have replicated that time if they wanted to. And I'm not sure anyone could. For one, thats very fast for a first day time. Obviously low-fuel, probably fresh/fresh-ish tires. But still. I've been reading that the new tires should make the cars faster, but we should also remember that DRS is limited now. Granted, its a test, and they may have run DRS in a manner similar to last year, but I dont think Mclaren are that unwise to waste their time like that.

I think Lewis might have made a huge, huge mistake.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Razia confirmed as Marussia driver this morning.
Only 1 seat left on the grid for 2013, rumoured to be between Sutil & Bianchi.

Mastah

In a world first, Sky Sports will be offering live coverage of the second Barcelona test in 3D!

Sky 3D and Sky Sports F1 viewers will be able to watch live action from the Circuit de Catalunya on all four days of the test - the last before the 2013 F1 season starts in Australia - from 28 February to 3 March.

"This is a special moment for Formula 1 fans and exactly the kind of innovation and access that Sky Sports F1 promised," enthused Sky F1's Martin Brundle. "3D will show us the real challenges of the race track with added depth and perspective. It will be a new, immersive experience for viewers and I can't wait to see what F1 action in 3D will reveal."

Sky is at the forefront of the world's 3D sports production and F1 will become the 14th sport to be broadcast in 3D by Sky. The coverage will be presented by Simon Lazenby with commentary from David Croft and special guests.

"This is groundbreaking," added Sky Sports F1's Executive Producer Martin Turner. "We're as excited as the next fan to see what Formula 1 will look like in 3D. It's uncharted territory, but this is a big opportunity to experiment and innovate, and we're grateful to Formula One Management for working with us on this.

"Sky is a world-leader in the field of 3D broadcasting, so in partnership with Formula 1 we're in the best position to answer public appetite and take up the challenge of bringing live F1 in 3D for the first time."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...celona-test-in-3D-from-28-February-to-3-March

Top Bottom