• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

Omiee

when are the teams expected to put updates on the cars.

i remember red bull having updates almost every day and even changed the whole rear in barcelona.

Shaneus

So, RBR helmets, fresh from their FB page. No idea if they're permanent or just one-offs for Melbourne. For Vettel it's probably the former, but no idea on Webber... he could be wearing an Australian one themed because of Melbourne, or as a permanent thing because he's one of us. Given that Vettel's isn't all that outlandish, is it possible he might stick to the one (or only a very small number) this year?
bYGFhSF.jpg

So that "F1 Race Stars" kart game is free on PS+; anyone knows if it's any good?
I think it's believed to have a more accurate safety car and weather representation than F1 2012.

Make of that what you will.

Frankly I've always thought that people who go for the fastest laps on testing days are doing it for PR purposes and nothing else.

Salamndar

The idea of first testing is not about speed rather than testing some components on the car. There is a rumor that Mercedes Front wing that they are currently using is not what will be introduce when the season begins, in fact the front wing that is used right now is the same wing used in there final race in Brazil 2012.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Felipe did not-high-fuel run on soft tires. They went adios after 3 fast laps. There are rumors that Ferrari is also having heating issues

What's broke on the McLaren today?
Looks like ordinary Mclaren testing day. Around 50 laps in max, long pauses. Probably they are running simulator on the same time and compare results with different parts/settings.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Rosberg will do as much laps as possible. They still have 90 minutes and he is on 115 laps so far

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sounds like this could be the last year for testing in Jerez. Pirelli are giving out about the state of the tarmac, saying it has worn away to a rough gravel surface compared to last year and that times and tyre wear indicators here are basically useless.

It'll be Barcelona till we really know what's going on with each car.

Made me chuckle.

"MyCaterhamF1 The car's now being power-cycled before firing up and heading back out on track."
"MyCaterhamF1 "Try power-cycling it" is also what some of our IT team tell us to do when what they really mean is "have you turned it off and on again..." ´"

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I just realized I kinda miss HRT. I liked having that lovable terrible team always sitting at the back of the grid racing their own race. I'm going to miss Karthikeyan's crazy face.

Rosberg nearing 140 laps. What a trooper.

Wow. That's pretty impressive. I'm glad they're getting their testing in.

I just realized I kinda miss HRT. I liked having that lovable terrible team always sitting at the back of the grid racing their own race. I'm going to miss Karthikeyan's crazy face.

It's possible that we're going to see a fight between Caterham and Marussia this year. HRT was just a really slow moving barrier.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
And with 5 minutes to go Button stops his Mclaren on track and this is it for today

can't wait for rabid Ferrari fans on certain forums predicting future after today's top time from Felipe :D

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m17.879s 85
2. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m18.766s +0.887 148
3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1m19.052s +1.173 102
4. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus 1m19.200s +1.321 40
5. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 1m19.247s +1.368 85
6. James Rossiter Force India 1m19.303s +1.424 42
7. Jenson Button McLaren 1m19.603s +1.724 83
8. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber 1m19.934s +2.055 110
9. Max Chilton Marussia 1m21.269s +3.390 78
10. Valtteri Bottas Williams 1m21.575s +3.696 86
11. Charles Pic Caterham 1m22.352s +4.473 57
12. Paul di Resta Force India 1m23.729s +5.850 7
Rosberg must be tired today :)

mclem

can't wait for rabid Ferrari fans on certain forums predicting future after today's top time from Felipe :D

To be fair, I'd *love* to see Massa have the fight in him that he had right at the end of last season. Not going to make any predictions, of course, but at least this isn't a bad sign.

Seriously impressive performance from Rosberg, that's basically two days' lapcount in a day, isn't it?

dubc35

Vettel and Gutierrez also put in >100 laps. Busy day for all three.

*e Wow, didn't see Nico got up to 148 before posting that!

DBT85

Pleased to see Rosberg managing to get a lot of laps in. Hopefully Hamilton can do the same tomorrow.

I didn't think I'd stop looking at how McLaren were doing as much as I have. Maybe that'll change once we get into the later tests and the season proper.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Seriously impressive performance from Rosberg, that's basically two days' lapcount in a day, isn't it?

It is. He managed to fill in his first day, when wiring problems screwed their plan. 655 km in one day is quite something. IF Lewis manage 100-120 laps tomorrow, they will nullify two wasted days

mclem

By my reckoning, Nico has - approximately - driven from London to Edinburgh today. Or, if it's a more reasonable benchmark Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Don't worry, Ferrari already got it. Vettel can pack it up.

Alonso did a test run as well.

6aXuCUw.jpg

"1:18h running - 15,4km. We continue tomorrow."

Seanspeed

Banned
Stint times look like last year's with regards to tire wear. I'm not sure if thats on purpose, with the teams intentionally running harder/softer just for comparison's sake, or if its all just the track being extra abrasive(Pirelli saying the track isn't currenty suitable for tire comparisons). Probably a bit of both.

So while it seems as if the tires are just falling off a cliff for many teams, sometimes up to 5 seconds slower after 10-15 laps or so, I think the teams will be fine on them when it comes time for race sims and then the real deal.

Dilly

Banned
Don't worry, Ferrari already got it. Vettel can pack it up.

Alonso did a test run as well.

http://i.imgur.com/6aXuCUw.jpg[IMG]

"1:18h running - 15,4km. We continue tomorrow."[/QUOTE]

He's doing a lot of training, he's posting updates every day.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh man. That made me laugh.

Also, that's really impressive what Rosberg did. Can't even imagine how exhausting that must be.
I doubt its as bad as doing a race. They got lots of breaks in between stints. He wasn't doing more than 15 laps before coming back in again.

Felipe is playing down the fast lap:

@Felipe1Massa pleased to be fastest but it "doesn’t count anything. There are a lot of v quick cars & I’m not sure we r in that position"

Adamm

Felipe is playing down the fast lap:

@Felipe1Massa pleased to be fastest but it "doesn’t count anything. There are a lot of v quick cars & I’m not sure we r in that position"

I wonder do F1 teams get sick of people talking about fastest laps during practice. Every year they keep having to tell people that they mean nothing.

Or are they secretly quite happy that they are fastest?

Mastah

It's possible that we're going to see a fight between Caterham and Marussia this year. HRT was just a really slow moving barrier.

Not only slow, but also dangerous. Actually it's a good thing they are no longer in F1, if they risked so much with safety of their cars, while Whiting seemingly didn't care at all about it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I wonder do F1 teams get sick of people talking about fastest laps during practice. Every year they keep having to tell people that they mean nothing.

Or are they secretly quite happy that they are fastest?
Fastest laps always mean something, its just that we, as the public, dont always know what it is. The teams will know when a time from a competitor is out of reach or not.

For instance, Massa has come out today and said about Button's time on the first day:

“I still believe his lap was incredible,” he said. “On the hard tyres on the first day on the dirty track and everything, it really was a quick lap. I didn’t have the car to do this lap time on the first day. I didn’t even try to work for the lap time, but I think it was impressive.”

So in this case, the fastest lap certainly did mean something and that is that Ferrari are behind.

Top Bottom