• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes AMG drivers made 2030 and 2040 km on testing so far, with one day for each driver remaining.

Bianci signed with Marussia (reported by French media)

Mastah

Official:

http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/762/

Finally I get what I always wanted - top talent in backmarker team. Before 2010 I though maybe one of 3 new teams would make such choice, but for 3 years they were stuck with has-beens or pay drivers. Until now.

It will be exciting to see someone with incredible speed in crap car and how much he will dare to push it to the limit. If Marussia won't play any silly game and both Chilton and Bianchi will get equal treatment, I expect nothing else than Bianchi destroying Chilton.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Seat fitting for Bianchi:

BESs4XaCEAAUU7L.jpg:large

Wonder will see Ferrari engines next year for Marussia.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
RBR used passive DRD today, solution similar to Lotus system

Sebastian-Vettel-Red-Bull-Formel-1-Test-Barcelona-01-Maerz-2013-19-fotoshowImageNew-8acd1e7d-664861.jpg

dat rear

Vettel is very satisfied with current car.

Mastah

Looks like 2 final days of testing will be warm, sunny and dry, which means a lot of new parts in action and many quali and race simulations. Exciting :D

Valsecchi in for Raikkonen. Kimi is apparently unwell.

Good to see Bianchi getting a chance, he's career had started to stall and he's easily better than the other 3 clown car drivers combined. I hope he learns from JEV's approach last year and takes it a little easy and feels his way in as both were notorious crashers in junior formulae when things weren't going their way.

Sad to see Razia lose his ride but when you live by the cheque, you sometimes die by the bounced cheque. Razia and Bianchi would have been a much better combo, Chilton is a hack.

navanman

Hamilton does the fastest time of the winter so far this morning.
We should see the times tumble now if it stays dry for the weekend.

Razia and Bianchi would have been a much better combo, Chilton is a hack.

And yet, with Bianchi reportedly not bringing all the money Marussia were originally asking for, it seems the hack is the one currently keeping the team afloat.

Although I guess there's a good chance that Bianchi's presence might be part of a deal to help the team secure Ferrari engines next year - discounted, I would hope

kharma45

And yet, with Bianchi reportedly not bringing all the money Marussia were originally asking for, it seems the hack is the one currently keeping the team afloat.

Although I guess there's a good chance that Bianchi's presence might be part of a deal to help the team secure Ferrari engines next year - discounted, I would hope

yeah id imagine engines are key to the deal.

Hey guys! Been a while..

Glad for Sutil, the guy has some unfinished business.

Kimi calling in sick? food poisoning? LOL .. probably a heavy hangover.. lazy bastard..

aeroslash

Do you guys know who will be driving for RBR an Ferrari tomorrow?? I live 20km from the circuit and I'm still thinking about going tomorrow!

Lach

I really hope there's no flesh on those rumours about Lotus not paying Raikönnen. The way I judge him he's capable to give up F1 again if he isn't satisfied....

I really hope there's no flesh on those rumours about Lotus not paying Raikönnen. The way I judge him he's capable to give up F1 again if he isn't satisfied....

They're constantly being dogged by money issues. Since buying the team, I think there's been at least two occasions where Genii have been rumoured to looking to sell the team on due to lack of funds (the last, I believe, was towards the end of last year).

So in short, I don't doubt those rumours in the slightest. What's impressive is that through all of this, the team has somehow managed to remain relatively competitive.

navanman

More news/speculation from the usually reliable AMuS:
-Apparently McLaren has not committed to Mercedes AMG engines for 2014 yet.
-The question is whether Honda will enter in 2014 or 2015
-Apparently there are already Honda engineers working in Woking to ensure optimum installation.
-Mercedes is reluctant to do a one year (2014) deal with McLaren as they feel valuable information will fall into the hands of Honda.
-Mercedes is obliged to provide an engine if McLaren requests it till 2015 (this was part of the 2009 deal).
-A decision is expected soon.
AMuS

navanman

I wonder are Mercedes going to decent this year? Rosberg does a fastest lap similar to Hamilton yesterday.
Their long run pace is meant to be decent too.

Hawt.....red & white works for Honda (Japanese flag) as well as Vodafone

I think there's a good chance Telmex will be taking over from Vodafone next year. There's also some other Mexican sponsors due to join the team during this year, according to a report I saw from the car launch. They might have already though, I've not exactly been paying attention during testing.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mclaren's new approach to 2013 car bite them on the beginning of the season, it seems like they are struggling quite a bit on longer runs.

navanman

Mclaren's new approach to 2013 car bite them on the beginning of the season, it seems like they are struggling quite a bit on longer runs.
Yep, running into the Ferrari problems from last year. Its going to take them some time to learn how to setup the car to use the tyres with the new push-rod front suspension.

Top Bottom