• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Serena gettin frustrated. That calendar slam pressure no joke

There's no way Venus is going to be the one to spoil the career slam. It kinda feels like they're forcing a show for the fans...

LuuKyK

lol Sorry guys I am not buying this.

It is just so clear they are trying to make this seem competitive. Two short loopsided sets for each and then one close set, something like 6-4 for Serena.

Serena doesn't even look nervous.

There are people that actually think she would throw the match so her sister could make history.

That's actually a pretty fucking insulting thing to say.

lol Sorry guys I am not buying this.

It is just so clear they are trying to make this seem competitive. Two short loopsided sets for each and then one close set, something like 6-4 for Serena.

Serena doesn't even look nervous.

I've never understood this myself.

Any competitor wants to beat an opponent that is giving their all.

Remember Brett Favre giving Michael Strahan the single season sack record a few years ago? That bugged me.

Watching these two play, I dont detect any tom foolery.

Venus hasn't won a slam since 08' Wimbledon.......seven years and counting.....who knows how many more chances she'll get.

I wouldn't want my brother to intentionally lose, and he'd expect the same.

Sibling rivalry to me means you want to beat them, listen to the way Evert and McEnroe talk about playing their siblings, they wanted to win badly.

LuuKyK

There are people that actually think she would throw the match so her sister could make history.

That's actually a pretty fucking insulting thing to say.

Is it really? Think about it. I wouldn't like to be the one to prevent my sister/brother from reaching such an historic status. /shrug

I doubt Venus cares that much tbh.

Speevy

Banned
Venus Williams always has the look of someone who is really scared of everything and everyone, like she's been beaten up before the match.

totoro'd

I don't think they have to try and make the match look competitive or putting on a show, Venus has wins over several top players this year (Bencic, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Keys, Stosur), and like someone mentioned, look at Serena's history of coming back in 3 set matches.

If she were throwing the match it simply would have NEVER went to a 3rd set.

6-2, 1-6, 6-3 looks better than 6-2, 6-3.

The former looks more like a typical Serena match, whilst the latter looks like it was totally manufactured.

EDIT: The Williams sisters have gone to 3 sets 11 times or something, in 20-ish games.

6-2, 1-6, 6-3 looks better than 6-2, 6-3.

The former looks more like a typical Serena match, whilst the latter looks like it was totally manufactured.

EDIT: The Williams sisters have gone to 3 sets 11 times or something, in 20-ish games.

You are talking out of your ass and you know it.

You are talking out of your ass and you know it.

Sure. There's no real way to know, though. Given the previous rumours/allegations of match fixing, and given the significance of this match, I'm tempted to believe that this match is fixed or at the very least "controlled". At least I didn't pay hundreds of dollars to be in attendance. Crowd looks bored out of their mind.

Huh... not really, no. Serena's about to accomplish one of the rarest feat in all of tennis, or even in all of sports.

I'm curious....did you play competitive sports growing up?
Reason I ask is that as a competitor, I hated losing more than anything
(I played tennis in high school and D2 tennis in college as a walk on, wasn't remotely any good mind you but that's besides the point).

My point is simply that you dont get to that worldclass level without being competitive as hell.

That's why I dont buy the conspiracy theories with the Williams sisters.

Again 7 years and counting for Venus, she might not get another chance at a Slam.

If I was in her spot I wouldn't throw the match, I'd play my guts out to win.
But to each their own, I guess.

Why the heck would there be match fixing. Like Serena couldn't beat her like she handles 99% of the tour. I mean she's won four straight grand slams against a variety of opponents. But it is only Venus she would need to fix a match for.

Unless there is a conspiracy among all of the WTA, how else would she have comeback so many times in these slams.

Why the heck would there be match fixing. Like Serena couldn't beat her like she handles 99% of the tour. I mean she's won four straight grand slams against a variety of opponents. But it is only Venus she would need to fix a match for.

Unless there is a conspiracy among all of the WTA, how else would she have comeback so many times in these slams.

Serena has had quite a few close calls in the early rounds of each slam this year. Last thing she needs is another one against her sister. Besides, there were allegations and rumours of match fixing in the past (especially when they started playing against each other).

Also, the Williams family stands to make more money from endorsements, ads, prize money, etc. if Serena goes further than Venus - face it, Venus wouldn't have gone far had she won tonight.

zero_suit

Serena has had quite a few close calls in the early rounds of each slam this year. Last thing she needs is another one against her sister. Besides, there were allegations and rumours of match fixing in the past (especially when they started playing against each other).

Also, the Williams family stands to make more money from endorsements, ads, prize money, etc. if Serena goes further than Venus - face it, Venus wouldn't have gone far had she won tonight.

They haven't needed money for more than a decade...

After losing the 2008 semi-final to Venus to set up a final against Serena, Elena Dementieva said: “For sure it’s going to be a family decision.”

Dementieva was labeled as a racist after that remark so tread carefully guys.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
"I'm Serena, I really didn't feel good that match"

She's always "sick" or "strained". Sis let her win of course, even though Serena is ofc the best in the world. Scamrena. My leg hurts. I have the flu. Gingivitis.

I doubt her next matches will be anywhere near as interesting. As much as I dislike her personality I wish Hingis was still playing singles at the top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom