• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serena has had quite a few close calls in the early rounds of each slam this year. Last thing she needs is another one against her sister. Besides, there were allegations and rumours of match fixing in the past (especially when they started playing against each other).

Also, the Williams family stands to make more money from endorsements, ads, prize money, etc. if Serena goes further than Venus - face it, Venus wouldn't have gone far had she won tonight.

You really think they're motivated by money at this point in their careers?
Serena Williams net worth is $140 million.......Venus not too shabby as well.

Match fixing rumors were always bs on the part of meathead fans who apparently have never played competitive sports in their lives.
Dementevia's comments reek of jealousy on her part, losing in the semis to Venus, probably just lashing out irrationally post match.

You really think they're motivated by money at this point in their careers?
Serena Williams net worth is $140 million.......Venus not too shabby as well.

Match fixing rumors were always bs jealousy on the part of meathead fans who apparently have never played competitive sports in their lives.
I dont understand how the same people criticizing Serena for her take no prisoners, win at all costs, cutthroat mentality and mean natured disposition on the court bring forth allegations that someone with that mindset would EVER agree to throw a match.
Venus maybe, but Serena? Never. She's like Michael Jordan and other greats who believe its her god given right to win.

I dont understand how the same people criticizing Serena for her take no prisoners, win at all costs, cutthroat mentality and mean natured disposition on the court bring forth allegations that someone with that mindset would EVER agree to throw a match.
Venus maybe, but Serena? Never. She's like Michael Jordan and other greats who believe its her god given right to win.

I dont think Venus would either, again 7 years and counting since her last Slam.

But no question Serena has some of that maniacally competitive Jordan/Kobe drive to win in the Slams.

jwillenn

I doubt her next matches will be anywhere near as interesting. As much as I dislike her personality I wish Hingis was still playing singles at the top level.

Yeah, there's a handful of women that I recall making matches against the Williams sisters interesting. Clijsters, Davenport, Hingis, Mauresmo, and I... feel like I'm missing one. lol.
I can't forget the last very epic match between Serena and Lindsay at the AO. They had a seriously extended match. It was no Isner and some others I've seen, but it was pretty crazy.

Dispatch

Yeah, there's a handful of women that I recall making matches against the Williams sisters interesting. Clijsters, Davenport, Hingis, Mauresmo, and I... feel like I'm missing one. lol.
I can't forget the last very epic match between Serena and Lindsay at the AO. They had a seriously extended match. It was no Isner and some others I've seen, but it was pretty crazy.

I think the name you're forgetting is Justine Henin, who won 7 slams and retired fairly early in her career.

Serena has had quite a few close calls in the early rounds of each slam this year. Last thing she needs is another one against her sister. Besides, there were allegations and rumours of match fixing in the past (especially when they started playing against each other).

Also, the Williams family stands to make more money from endorsements, ads, prize money, etc. if Serena goes further than Venus - face it, Venus wouldn't have gone far had she won tonight.

Why would Venus be the one to beat her though? Has her play been good enough to beat Serena? Has anybody in the past 4 slams? You talk like Serena has sucked all year long and Venus has been on a tear. She's won 32 straight matches at grand slams, and they weren't all against her sister.

And since when has allegations and rumors meant anything significant? Yes, of course they would make more money if Serena won. But don't act like Serena didn't win because she was not better on the court, she's one of the best players in history for goodness sakes.

There's no way for Serena to win. If she wins 6-1 6-1, Venus rolled over. If it goes to 3 sets then she's "playing it up". If she you change today's opponent to anybody else with the same scoreline and stats, nobody would even care.

scarlet

Why would Venus be the one to beat her though? Has her play been good enough to beat Serena? Has anybody in the past 4 slams? You talk like Serena has sucked all year long and Venus has been on a tear. She's won 32 straight matches at grand slams, and they weren't all against her sister.

And since when has allegations and rumors meant anything significant? Yes, of course they would make more money if Serena won. But don't act like Serena didn't win because she was not better on the court, she's one of the best players in history for goodness sakes.

There's no way for Serena to win. If she wins 6-1 6-1, Venus rolled over. If it goes to 3 sets then she's "playing it up". If she you change today's opponent to anybody else with the same scoreline and stats, nobody would even care.

Once you hate someone you'll... (fill the blank)

jwillenn

I think the name you're forgetting is Justine Henin, who won 7 slams and retired fairly early in her career.

That is PRECISELY who I had in mind! In fact, FIRST on my list of those!

*sees stats then plays that Roy Jones song "Musta Forgot*

But no, she was fantastic. I just don't think I would have put it as "handled". Again, the word was "interesting". lol

ghstwrld

nVwN1t6.png

DGYlgvt.gif

Oh yeah definitely. Serena had an 8-6 record against Henin, and Venus had a 7-2 record against Henin. Henin could handle them

Well Henin was 4-3 against Serena in the majors, that's pretty good no? As for her record against Venus, that's misleading. 8 of those matches came before Henin had won a single slam, the one that did come in Henin's dominant period (2003-2007), Henin won in straights. (great match btw) Given that Clijsters and Sharapova both have winning records against Venus, I think it's pretty obvious that Henin was just a bit unlucky with the timing of their matches.

(Don't get me wrong though, Serena is a far better player than Henin. Venus is debatable)

Edit: Another thing to note with the Venus-Henin H2H is that Henin was 0-5 against Davenport in the same period she was 1-7 against Venus. At the end of 2006 she was 7-5 against Davenport.

I havnt seen any current top ranked WTA player with the footwork and defensive instincts of Hingis in her prime. Her matches against the Williams' had amazing rallies and and incredible point scoring both ways. Watch the highlights of her 2001 Australian open against Serena. Its incredible tennis and forced Serena to play in a way that Azarenka and the other top ranked players will never be able to do.

I always thought that Capriati played Serena the best, I distinctly remember that 2004 quarterfinal in the US Open which Jennifer took in the 3rd.

Just looked up the head to head records for Serena against fellow Slam winners -
Serena 16, Venus 11 (Serena 9-5 in slams)
Serena 10, Capriati 7 (Capriati 4-3 in slams)
Serena 8, Henin 6 (Henin 4-3 in slams)
Serena 7, Hingis 6 (Serena 2-1 in slams)
Serena 10, Davenport 4 (Serena 4-1 in slams)
Serena 7, Clijsters 2 (Serena 2-1 in slams)
Serena 1, Graf 1 (no slam matchups)
Serena 4, Seles 1 (Serena 1-0 in slams)
Serena 10, Mauresmo 2 (Serena 6-1 in slams)
Serena 18, Sharapova 2 (Serena 6-1 in slams)
Serena 17, Azarenka 3 (Serena 10-0 in slams)
Serena 11, Li Na 1 (Serena 4-0 in slams)
Serena 5, Kvitova 1 (Serena 3-0 in slams)
Serena 9, Ivanovic 1 (Serena 3-1 in slams)

MIMIC

Banned
Lopez hitting 90% BH slices is club level stuff. Hell, even I stopped doing it =p It is a bona fide, exploitable weakness.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
That might have been Lopez's best return of the match.

Edit: Well, we're getting a tiebreak most likely.

Edit2: Lopez just can't get it in the court lol

Niraj

Well, Lopez did better than I thought he would do. Can't believe Djokovic was serving at around 32% in the first set though and still won like 75% of the points lol.

sam777

Surprised Lopez managed to take a set, Novak is definitely not playing his best or has declined a bit, most likely the former.

Disappointing that the Fed match is the night match as I won't get to watch it. I reckon Gasquet is capable of taking a set but to win it is important he takes the first set because if Fed gets a lead he will win easily.

szaromir

Banned
Federer has lost 1 set to Gasquet off-clay and that was 9 years ago. I'm expecting another straight set affair here in Flushing Meadows.

I fell asleep before the 1st set of Lopez-Djokovic ended, glad Fekiciano at least raised his level a little bit. Hopefully Cilic isn't a walking corpse by now with all the epic matches he's played, good thing he has an extra day to recover.

Ricker

I know its 11 in the morning in the middle of the week but damn,so many empty seats for a QF match for a Gran Slam makes me sad...

Go Kvitova.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
us open is easily my least favourite grand slam because they always make federer play so damn late. his match doesn't start until 3 am here. they really need to do something about the atlantic ocean.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There is nobody I like left in the draw. :( I guess I'll cheer for Kanderson as a mark of respect.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
There is nobody I like left in the draw. :( I guess I'll cheer for Kanderson as a mark of respect.

personally, if my shocking favourite doesn't win, i kind of hope cilic takes it. would be fun to see him have as many slams as murray, and as many us opens as murray and djokovic combined.

but it's clear that in this pathetic field where his only opposition is a 34 year old semi-retiree, djokovic is just going to limp to the title. disgusting.

Niraj

Standard Kvitova match really.

Edit: She's not digging herself out of this hole.

Edit2: Pennetta and Vinci in the semis. What a world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom