• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tsongaaaaaa
nkRL6OE.gif

Djokovic getting that walkover to the final. LaLo knows this prime time match is just a showcase for his modeling career and these brahs appendages might not be attached after this match.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
if we existed in a vacuum i would like tsonga to win, but i feel that cilic has a tiny bit better chance against djokovic so i can't feel too bad.

Diamond

if we existed in a vacuum i would like tsonga to win, but i feel that cilic has a tiny bit better chance against djokovic so i can't feel too bad.

If you really want Djokovic to lose you can always take a plane to NY tonight, sneak into the player-lounge and turn off the lights when he's about to take his gluten-free ice bath. You still have time !

John Dunbar

correct about everything
If you really want Djokovic to lose you can always take a plane to NY tonight, sneak into the player-lounge and turn off the lights when he's about to take his gluten-free ice bath. You still have time !

unfortunately that only works on people made of ice, and the serb is clearly made of rubber.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Have to give credit to Cilic, he was the better player most of the match. Wish Tsonga had played better but at least he didn't give up.

Tsonga should get a medal for perseverance, exhausting just watching him fight off tthose 4 match points and being down 2 sets to none.

Nice win by Cilic, intrigue having the defending champ in the semis.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
well, i'm off to bed and hopefully dream of a tennis saving performance by deliciano. of course come morning all my dreams will be crushed against the jagged rocks of reality, but then again, that is every morning in the hellish facade that is my life.

Bigfoot

Even if Venus had a chance to win, she would still step aside and let her sister win.

This match is basically an exhibition and everyone knows who is going to win. Maybe they will put on a show though and go 3 sets.

I'm sure Venus will play seriously for a set, but if she ends up ahead she'll start throwing in UEs. No way in hell she's going to stop her sister achieving the calender Grand Slam.

FTF

So there's no way Venus plays to win right? Not that I think she can beat Serena anyway, but can't see her giving it her all and ruining the grand slam chance.

I'm sure Venus will play seriously for a set, but if she ends up ahead she'll start throwing in UEs. No way in hell she's going to stop her sister achieving the calender Grand Slam.

ha guess this is a common sentiment.

If Serena gets to the final as expected......who would Tennis GAF like to see as her opponent?

I think Azarenka would give her the toughest match and is likeliest to pull the upset, she's been close so many times that she's bound to break through eventually against Serena.
But we've seen that final in 12' and 13' and as a Serena fan, I'd prefer not to risk that matchup.

Halep would be a good showcase for a potential future GS winner, but Im satisfied with their Cinci match and tend to think Serena would handle Halep the best of the 3 bottom half contenders.

Pennetta would be the ultimate meh opponent, no intrigue there.

Kvitova is the final I'd like to see as she beat Serena this year, has 2 Wimbledon titles, and more than anything is a scalp that Serena hasn't gotten yet in a Slam final.
I think Serena's superior movement would eventually get the better of Petra, but it could be fun seeing Petra exchange power for power.

Any thoughts Tennis GAF?
or believe in Vinci?

Trey

Even if Venus had a chance to win, she would still step aside and let her sister win.

This match is basically an exhibition and everyone knows who is going to win. Maybe they will put on a show though and go 3 sets.

hoping she has more competitive resolve than that. If serena gets her slam, she gon' have to work for it.

Niraj

I think an "on" Kvitova would be the toughest, but that's always a gamble. I think Azarenka has been playing some good tennis and usually does relatively well against Serena. They've had some great matches in the past. Halep had the potential to do well, but hasn't looked great here imo. I don't think Flavia is really a contender compared to the rest.

LuuKyK

I would laugh if Serena wasted a CYGS chance with a loss to freaking Gestoria Pedicurenka of all people (only funnier option would be Sharapova, but thats impossible in this case), so I hope it happens. Would love to see how the US media would come up with articles for that.

I think an "on" Kvitova would be the toughest, but that's always a gamble. I think Azarenka has been playing some good tennis and usually does relatively well against Serena. They've had some great matches in the past. Halep had the potential to do well, but hasn't looked great here imo. I don't think Flavia is really a contender compared to the rest.

Yeah Halep looks banged up and the match yesterday could've taken something out of her. Be interesting how she looks tomorrow.

Petra goes through shaky patches sometimes but as an underdog I could see her playing pretty well.

Azarenka definitely seems like the most consistent US Open/hardcourt player.

First things first......Serena needs to duplicate her Wimbledon performance against Venus, in which Venus was very good, but Serena played elite tennis to get it done in straight sets.

Venus's 2nd serve could be key.

Niraj

I would laugh if Serena wasted a CYGS chance with a loss to freaking Gestoria Pedicurenka of all people (only funnier option would be Sharapova, but thats impossible in this case), so I hope it happens. Would love to see how the US media would come up with articles for that.

Even if it were "possible" it'd still be impossible though :p

In the abstract, I'd like to see Halep get through to face her, but with how much she was struggling physically I don't think she'd be at her best. So Kvitova, who is one of only two players to have defeated Serena this season (at Madrid), and has the power to hit through her if she's on her game. Failing her, definitely Azarenka.

This espn hype is hilarious

Last possible GS meeting ever between the Williams sisters, 2 Americans, no football to compete with.

Wouldn't you hype it up if you were in ESPN's position?

Which other matchup has mainstream buzz in the tennis world for casual fans who dont pay much attention to the sport outside of a few GS matchups?

If anything the hype is overdue considering how under appreciated they've been for much of their careers.

The match might not be a classic but the hype is fine in my book.
Doesn't happen very often as a tennis fan so I appreciate the hype more than anything.

jwillenn

They kill me acting as if this is going to be a serious match between the sisters. Does anyone actually THINK Venus would try to disrupt what Serena is an inch away from accomplishing by winning all four grand slams this year? There would have to be bad blood between them. Now, when have we ever seen or heard of there being that? At most, Venus will give her some practice so that she'll be better prepared to destroy the final two opponents.

Edit:
You know what, I'd like to be wrong and could very well be wrong about this. It is very much POSSIBLE that they agree to not CHEAPEN their victories by playing to lose for the other's sake.

Omzz

Last possible GS meeting ever between the Williams sisters, 2 Americans, no football to compete with.

Wouldn't you hype it up if you were in ESPN's position?

It's more the dialogue used which made it funny. Calling it "theater except there is no script. It will be written by the sisters" blah blah.

If Serena gets to the final as expected......who would Tennis GAF like to see as her opponent?

I think Azarenka would give her the toughest match and is likeliest to pull the upset, she's been close so many times that she's bound to break through eventually against Serena.
But we've seen that final in 12' and 13' and as a Serena fan, I'd prefer not to risk that matchup.

Halep would be a good showcase for a potential future GS winner, but Im satisfied with their Cinci match and tend to think Serena would handle Halep the best of the 3 bottom half contenders.

Pennetta would be the ultimate meh opponent, no intrigue there.

Kvitova is the final I'd like to see as she beat Serena this year, has 2 Wimbledon titles, and more than anything is a scalp that Serena hasn't gotten yet in a Slam final.
I think Serena's superior movement would eventually get the better of Petra, but it could be fun seeing Petra exchange power for power.

Any thoughts Tennis GAF?
or believe in Vinci?
Azarenka or Kvitova, the two youngest multiple major winners, are the best you can hope for against Serena at the moment.

Pennetta is Pennetta, and Halep is just way too meek and I feel she would just go completely absent in such a massive final.

I'd give Kvitova the best shot at taking out Serena though, not Azarenka. Kvitova is probably the player who would be the least affected by the spectacle of it all, she is in such a bubble. Kvitova's the only player who can straight up overpower Serena as evidenced by when she beat Serena in Madrid this year. Also, Kvitova has a great record in finals (17-5). That said, I don't think Kvitova will make the final.

It's more the dialogue used which made it funny. Calling it "theater except there is no script. It will be written by the sisters" blah blah.

Well we should expect nothing less from Mr. Ron Howard himself (love Rush + Apollo 13 but Howard knows how to lay it on thick, sometimes too thick).

This match is also proof why the draws are rigged.
ESPN + Tennis want big name matchups in the quarters ideally.

Tuesday and Wednesday of the 2nd week of the U.S. Open are great slots for the sport as the NFL doesn't start till Thursday night, and they can get drowned out by college football Saturday and NFL Sunday.

2nd serve Venus's downfall so far, she should take more chances on it cause otherwise Serena will crush the return and it doensn't look like Mattek-Sands nervous Serena is playing tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom