• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam777

Wawrinka really does only turn up for the Grand Slams, he doesn't play well in the masters tournaments but when it comes to GS, he just progresses under the radar and next thing you know is that he's in the final.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Wawrinka really does only turn up for the Grand Slams, he doesn't play well in the masters tournaments but when it comes to GS, he just progresses under the radar and next thing you know is that he's in the final.

unfortunately he turned up at monte carlo last year.

anyway, the results were about as good as they could have been. maybe i would have preferred murray winning to maximise the quality of the final opponent for djokovic, but at this rate it's going to be goddamn gasquet.

miserable

unfortunately he turned up at monte carlo last year.

anyway, the results were about as good as they could have been. maybe i would have preferred murray winning to maximise the quality of the final opponent for djokovic, but at this rate it's going to be godamn gasquet.

please, we're gonna get another Djoker-Olderer final, with the same outcome

sam777

I think Wawrinka will win the US, crazy I know but I think he can do it. He seems to raise his level when he needs to.

Faith

Djokovic vs. Lopez
Tsonga vs. Cilic
Wawrinka vs. Anderson
Gasquet vs. Federer

Djokovic vs. Cilic
Wawrinka vs. Federer

Djokovic vs. Wawrinka

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
man, whenever i go to sleep early a member of the big four always loses

Well, I watched the match. Not much to say, really. Murray wasn't bad. He only made 12 UEs in the first two sets. He also wasn't good. His first forehand winner wasn't until 2 hours in. Despite that, it was definitely a winnable match. The failure to convert all those BPs and step up at the critical points made the difference. As for Anderson, hats off to him. Easily the best match I've ever seen from him, 81 winners in 4 sets is disgustingly good. He was helped by the fact Murray was incredibly passive and didn't do anything with the ball, but he was also very good in his own right and was a far way from the choker known for losses from dominating positions (e.g. Wimbledon).

Not really sure where Murray goes from this. This whole year has been a bit odd. He's clearly not playing badly (e.g. 2014), but he's not playing as well as he was under Lendl. The aggression is absolutely gone, I haven't seen him rip the forehand in months, and it's harming him physically now that he's older and doesn't have quite as much stamina to put up with these early round losses. His wins come mostly against other defensive players, his key wins being against Djokovic at Montreal and Nadal at Madrid, but he's just looked lost against aggressive players lately. It's like he's regressed to being the Murray of 2010 - a very good player, but probably not a Slam title contender because he won't force opportunities. I'm really not sure Mauresmo has done much for his game and I'd definitely hope he'd start considering coaching changes.

In terms of winners, I'm rooting for Tsonga now. He was to my mind a better player than Wawrinka and was just unlucky enough to have his peak at a worse moment (Tsonga's level in 2011 was insane, but... everyone else was better back then too). Seeing him snatch a late slam would be incredible, although unlikely given his decline.

Haha, it's not going to be about tennis. I help run a fencing website. Because the Open is going on I'm going to do a "how can you apply the Sneaky Attack principle to fencing" type of blog post.
That's even more interesting now.

LaLo could serve eighty percent first serves and he will still lose this match in straights. Djokovic will make too many returns and exploit him from the baseline.

man, whenever i go to sleep early a member of the big four always loses

Well, I watched the match. Not much to say, really. Murray wasn't bad. He only made 12 UEs in the first two sets. He also wasn't good. His first forehand winner wasn't until 2 hours in. Despite that, it was definitely a winnable match. The failure to convert all those BPs and step up at the critical points made the difference. As for Anderson, hats off to him. Easily the best match I've ever seen from him, 81 winners in 4 sets is disgustingly good. He was helped by the fact Murray was incredibly passive and didn't do anything with the ball, but he was also very good in his own right and was a far way from the choker known for losses from dominating positions (e.g. Wimbledon).

Not really sure where Murray goes from this. This whole year has been a bit odd. He's clearly not playing badly (e.g. 2014), but he's not playing as well as he was under Lendl. The aggression is absolutely gone, I haven't seen him rip the forehand in months, and it's harming him physically now that he's older and doesn't have quite as much stamina to put up with these early round losses. His wins come mostly against other defensive players, his key wins being against Djokovic at Montreal and Nadal at Madrid, but he's just looked lost against aggressive players lately. It's like he's regressed to being the Murray of 2010 - a very good player, but probably not a Slam title contender because he won't force opportunities. I'm really not sure Mauresmo has done much for his game and I'd definitely hope he'd start considering coaching changes.

In terms of winners, I'm rooting for Tsonga now. He was to my mind a better player than Wawrinka and was just unlucky enough to have his peak at a worse moment (Tsonga's level in 2011 was insane, but... everyone else was better back then too). Seeing him snatch a late slam would be incredible, although unlikely given his decline.

Crazy times when murrays best tennis played this year was the clay court season. Totally agree with you about the aggression, his forehands were utterly timid and he was constantly playing behind the baseline and constantly on the run. Very depressing. A new coach is definitely needed, I can't work out if the issue is mauresmo or just her not being there for obvious reasons. Either way, something new is needed. And the results haven't been improving since bjorkman started, after an impressive start admittedly.

At least there's still Davis cup :(, though it still wouldn't shock me if the attempt to win the David cup with the murrays only is very liable to end in tears.

Im pulling for Tsonga as well, easily the player of the Fed/Nadal/Djokovic era most deserving of a Slam......dont know if he can do it as Novak tends to own him.

I think Anderson can beat Stan, not sure if he can beat Fed, who really handled Isner's serve bot attempts nicely, those two returns in the 2nd set tiebreak in particular were tremendous.

Stan/Fed would be more fun than Anderson/Fed, so go Stan.

If Tsonga cant get it done......I guess Im pulling for a Stan Djokovic final, their matches the past 2-3 years have been as electric as i've seen on the men's side, why not have another?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Didn't Fed wreck Anderson in Cincinnati? A Stan/Fed match would be more fun to watch for sure.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Didn't Fed wreck Anderson in Cincinnati? A Stan/Fed match would be more fun to watch for sure.

anderson is the new cilic, he only peaks at the us open. last year cilic lost to djokovic at wimbledon in five sets, and we know what happened next.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
First semifinal for Vinci. Crazy, though I guess she has had some luck on her side.

szaromir

Banned
BTW one thing I'll miss after the US Open is the ability to watch tennis without commentators. The lack of commentary makes matches a completely different, better experience as you just absorb all the action by yourself without third parties creating additional needless narratives to the match.

I'm going to be so conflicted on Friday watching the Tsonga-Lopez semi ;_;

Time to go through the other 3 quarters of the women's bracket and list out every player who would probably have made the SF if they'd got drawn in Vinci's. It'd take a while.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Opelka in the juniors hit a 141 mph serve, they said that would be tied with Isner for the second fastest on the men's draw. Crazy.

BTW one thing I'll miss after the US Open is the ability to watch tennis without commentators. The lack of commentary makes matches a completely different, better experience as you just absorb all the action by yourself without third parties creating additional needless narratives to the match.

I'm going to be so conflicted on Friday watching the Tsonga-Lopez semi ;_;
Yes, it truly is great. ESPN is insufferable.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
what's that thing on cilic's leg, anyway? let me guess: he's going to beat tsonga in five and then have a broken ankle against djokovic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom