• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i am very conflicted about the semis. since djokovic has a virtual walkover, it can't be denied that wawrinka would have a better chance in the final than federer, as rogi boy has made it unfortunately clear over the past couple years that playing djokovic in a big final will not end well for him. but it's still another slam final, and a chance to get that sixth us open.

but really, they should just give the trophy to the serb already. he has never even lost to any of the players he had to play on his way to the final. sickening draw.

Yeah, why is the women SF starting as a regularly scheduled night sessions? I really hope it isn't the case for the men as well.

Is this the first year they're doing it like this? I can see why it sucks for tennis fans outside NA. But I remember there used to a point where the mens' semi was a night match on Saturday night, and then you had to come back Sunday afternoon to play in the final. It was crazy.

I haven't followed the tournament that closely the last few years, but I've noticed with this year's schedule they've done a much better job of spacing out the matches.

In America, the French Open and Wimbledon matches are all finished before we get home from work. So, of course the best matches at the US Open will be played in primetime for American audiences.

i am very conflicted about the semis. since djokovic has a virtual walkover, it can't be denied that wawrinka would have a better chance in the final than federer, as rogi boy has made it unfortunately clear over the past couple years that playing djokovic in a big final will not end well for him. but it's still another slam final, and a chance to get that sixth us open.

but really, they should just give the trophy to the serb already. he has never even lost to any of the players he had to play on his way to the final. sickening draw.
Yep. It's not something I can take much longer. I have to pray guys like Rublev and Zverev can take the next step. Borna has already started his doping regimen so we will see if it pays dividends.

Didn't see until now they moved women's semis to tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
honestly im so ready for the next-gen. I like Murray and all and will always support him in the same way I religiously watch Hewitt's ATP matches after all these years, but I'm ready for the hand-over.

sam777

Ladies semi final matches have been re-scheduled to tomorrow because of incoming rain.
That roof can't come quick enough.

Saty

In America, the French Open and Wimbledon matches are all finished before we get home from work. So, of course the best matches at the US Open will be played in primetime for American audiences.

But even in those slams matches take place in the middle of the day and evening. Even if they had spotlights i don't think they would start this late when you have 2 SF matches scheduled.

Tomorrow's men's matches start at 5PM local time instead of 7PM so that's better. But Federer's match is second so i probably won't watch it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Halep-Pennetta just started. Hoping for a Halep win.

edit: disappointingly flat from Halep. This could be over really quickly.

so looks like the highest seed Serena faces on her way to a GS is 19 including a unseeded player in the semi and 26 in the finals.
they certainly made it difficult for her.

Niraj

Awful start to the second.

edit: much better now

edit2: getting embarrassed out there now. Really poor.

Niraj

Roberta Vinci and Flavia Pennetta are all that stand in the way of the calendar slam for Serena. Unreal.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
this match is going to be for pennetta what the match against murray was for federer at wimbedon. will not play anywhere near as well in the final against serena. will probably struggle to find the court.

szaromir

Banned
Pennetta in a major final, I can't believe it. Maybe Cilic will defeat Djoko now (and defend the title) with all these peculiarities this fortnight..

Niraj

Wtf happened, I didn't watch the match but just checked the score now, how did Halep lose so badly?

Mixture of Pennetta playing well and Halep playing like shit. She lost 15 points in a row in the second set.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
one of those serena matches where she starts poorly, perhaps even losing the first set, and then around midway through the second set her opponent folds. don't expect vinci to last that long, though.

Silkworm

Vinic breaks Serena's service game once.

Serena changes her tennis racquet and then goes on to break Vinci's service game thrice.

First set done, easily won by Serena. Second set to be a walkover for Serena? Looks likely at this point in time.

God dammit Halep if I knew you were gonna fold like this I would have been cheering for Azarenka. The Grand Slam is Serena's in all but name at this point.

Serena will have to face the Italian Davis cup team if she wants her calendar slam

It was already trending that way but the above cinches it
Graf 88' > Serena 15'

Aussie Open Final
Graf over Evert
Serena over Sharapova

French Open Final
Graf over Natasha Zvereva
Serena over Safrova

Wimbledon Final
Graf over Navratilova
Serena over Garbine Mugurza

US Open Final
Graf over Gabriela Sabatini
Serena over Pennetta (presuambly)

Olympics
Graf over Gabriela Sabatini

Serena also has lost more sets than Graf did

In sum, scalp wise -
Navratilova/Evert/Sabatini > Sharapova

The argument for Serena boils down to the pressure being much greater 27 years later between 24 hour news metworks, the internet, social media, more press at events, etc.

Also, the age factor, Graf at 18/19 years old had already won a Slam and had her career in front of her. Serena at 33, last realistic chance to get a calendar slam.

But Graf's year still wins.
It would be a better debate had Serena played Slam winners in the final.
Ivanovic in the French Open final,
Petra Kvitova in Wimbledon final, and Azarenka/Kvitova in the US Open Final.

That was Serena's chance but oh well, still one of the all time great accomplishments, assuming she wins 3 more sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom