• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea why you would only consider finalists in evaluating how tough the feat was. At the very least all 28 matches need to be considered (though I'd argue performance at other tournaments should be looked at as well, which likely favours Graf due to the Olympics).

I can sense this convo is going to head down the "weak era" route. Let's wait until if/when Serena completes the calendar slam to argue GOATs. Serena, Graf, Court, or other will be the poll question on saturday if Serena wins this title

Serena can't control who's on the other side of the net.

No doubt, not her fault in the slighest, but when measuring seasons/champions against one another, scalps/quality of opponent matters.
i.e. what's a better win -
Agassi over Sampras in 95' Australian Open final?
or
Agassi over Rainer Schuttler in 03' Australian Open Final?
Both are slams, but one win is objectively greater than the other
Obviously great wins can occur on the way to the final, but i havent looked that up yet

szaromir

Banned
No doubt, not her fault in the slighest, but when measuring seasons/champions against one another, scalps/quality of opponent matters.
i.e. what's a better win -
Agassi over Sampras in 95' Australian Open final?
or
Agassi over Rainer Schuttler in 03' Australian Open Final?
Both are slams, but one win is objectively greater than the other
Obviously great wins can occur on the way to the final, but i havent looked that up yet

The idea is to prepare for the event and to be the best of the field at that event. Say you're a track & field athlete and are 3rd at 100m sprint with the time of 9.91s, while the guys ahead of you are 9.78s and 9.83s. You win the gold medal 2 years later with the of 9.9s. Will you bemoan yourself that you're not as good as your rivals at their best?

Silkworm

What a nice surprise! Vinci takes advantage of Serena's dip in the 2nd set and gets her first ever set from Serena. Third set could be interesting even if I expect Serena to pull it out. At least this match is more interesting than it looked going into the 2nd set. :)

edit:

A calendar slam spoiled by vinci

What a headline it would be

Veni, Vidi, Vinci? ;-)

The idea is to prepare for the event and to be the best of the field at that event. Say you're a track & field athlete and are 3rd at 100m sprint with the time of 9.91s, while the guys ahead of you are 9.78s and 9.83s. You win the gold medal 2 years later with the of 9.9s. Will you bemoan yourself that you're not as good as your rivals at their best?

No, I'd be thrilled to win a Gold Medal.
Some wins are sweeter than others, for instance the 06' Colts talk about how their win against the Patriots in the conference championship game meant more than their Super Bowl victory over the Bears.
Pats had bern their nemesis for so long, having eliminated them in 03, 04, thus the win was sweeter, plus the whole coming back from 21-3 down to win 38-34 made it a classic.

But first things first, Serena's gotta do her part in this 3rd set

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it's 2-2 on her own serve against her pigeon and serena is going crazy. obnoxious as fuck. shame there is no chance of her losing this.

dubc35

it's 2-2 on her own serve against her pigeon and serena is going crazy. obnoxious as fuck. shame there is no chance of her losing this.
Why is she yelling so much? Watching on mute in a restaurant so can't really tell. Seems classless without the audio perspective but maybe I'm missing something.

LuuKyK

Serena's reactions are really unnecessary even more so considering she did those after errors from Vinci. It makes her look stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom