• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
We've waited 6 years for this. Roger in the final. I think he's got this, he's won 3 of the 4 matches on hard courts against Djokovic in the last 52 weeks and the one he's lost was on the slow ass Indian Wells courts.

SSPssp

Love that response about loving the sport and traveling! I like that he still loves to play. I also liked his response about Serena and how its still better to have the pressure of everyone expecting you to win then to be the underdog.

Its going to be a great final!

IISANDERII

ahgAKAK.jpg

Panetta+Vinci 1999 French Open girl's doubles champs

Federer will still be beating players in grand slams in a wheelchair after djoker and grandpadal are with their grandkids . The next generation is that much weak

Federer will still be beating players in grand slams after djoker and grandpadal are with their grandkids . The next generation is that much weak
Coric, Zverev and Rublev are legit. Then you got fringe top thirty players like Chung, Ymer and Nishioka. Dimitrov, Nishikori, Raonic, Tomic, Young these brahs never gonna win slams.

Smellycat

Yet to drop a serve :)

One more match please Roger! It would be a complete shame if he can't at least win one of the 3 finals he has made in the last 2 years.

Smellycat

Yes Roger!!! I actually think he can build on this performance in the final, unlike the wimbledon SF where there was nowhere for his form to go but down

Yes! I was actually hoping that Federer wouldn't play a perfect performance like he did in the SF of Wimbledon! I think that did more harm than good as he himself admitted.

Speevy

Banned
Here's a hypothetical for you.

If Federer and Djoker got some bizarre amnesia where they lost all memory of ever playing each other, would the result be any different?

Yamauchi

Banned
Just got around to watching the Vinci-Serena match. That was odd. With that result, I had expected Serena to play horribly, but she didn't. Vinci just owned her on the court.

Just got around to watching the Vinci-Serena match. That was odd. With that result, I had expected Serena to play horribly, but she didn't. Vinci just owned her on the court.

so strange of Vinci. before this tournament she only made two QFs in her entire 16 year career and now she stopped Serena going for the GS.

meanwhile Hingis won another GS and will win another one tomorrow.

Volimar

Was watching the match replay and hadn't been spoiled but then during the commercial of the rebroadcast they spoiled the result. Dick move ESPN. Dick move.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Yup that third set after Serena had a chance to go up 3-0 and didn't, Vinci pretty much schooled her. She WON the match.

That backhand slice down the line and those drop shots. Daaaamn.

It's interesting to compare the attitudes of two great champions. Roger just revels in the joy of the sport. Sure, there was a time starting around 2009 where he seemed really bitter. But I think because he enjoys the game so much he was able to move past it.

On the other hand, Serena (externally) seems like she's suffering out there. After every point she's in mental and physical anguish. It's almost as if she's tolerating the game of tennis as a medium to get to the win.

But, they're both among the best ever, so I can't really knock either attitude.

MIMIC

Banned
It's interesting to compare the attitudes of two great champions. Roger just revels in the joy of the sport. Sure, there was a time starting around 2009 where he seemed really bitter. But I think because he enjoys the game so much he was able to move past it.

On the other hand, Serena (externally) seems like she's suffering out there. After every point she's in mental and physical anguish. It's almost as if she's tolerating the game of tennis as a medium to get to the win.

Interesting observation.

Serena said that she hates losing more than she enjoys winning, so maybe that's why. lol

Not seen too many games at this years tourney. I did watch some of Fed's matches and the man is in supreme form. I just hope that we get something special in the final, like those two semi-final matches; though, this time, don't throw those match points away, eh Fed. I expect Djokovic to win, but it would be thrilling to see Federer win no. 18.

The media should also stop referring to Nadal losses as shocks or upsets. The guy is in serious decline and next year will be absolutely fascinating to see if it's a blip and he just needs a good off-season to get himself ready for 2016, or whether the wear and tear of his play style is finally taking its toll.

Yep. It's one of the many reasons he can have success at this age. Just majestic tennis.

scarlet

but del potro's us open win wasn't actually a very good one. You know I'm not exactly a federer fan, and i really like del potro, but he didn't really deserve to win that one and it wasn't a quality final, they took consecutive turns choking to each other and the UE count was super high. del potro played *much* better matches that year.

What?

federer beasts through another semifinal. now for the love of all that is good and decent, start doing it in finals.

I hope so, but it's a tough ask. Still, who would have thought that the Djokovic/Nadal rivalry would eventually give way to the new and improved Djokovic/Federer rivalry in 2015. I've missed much of the discussion in this thread, but will probably have a scan through it later, but I'm surprised by just how off the pace Nadal has been all this season. In constrast, it's the beautiful economy of Federer's game that allows us to enjoy his tennis, in slam finals no less, at the age of 34. What impresses me most is how he's been able to see off Murray, who is further away from beating Federer than he's ever been. And as much as I love Nadal, I don't see him being anywhere near close to competing for more slams at 33-34; more likely he retires before that, to be perfectly honest.

the average age of the US open single finalists this year is 31.5

this gotta be some kind of record. it could've been even older if Serena won.

vinci!?! VINCI!?!?!

ahh.gif
ahh.gif
ahh.gif

looking at her pasts results, it's a wonder she even plays singles anymore at GSs. In the last 7 GS she lost in the first round 5 times with a single third round as the best result and now she's in a final stopping Serenas GS run. unbelievable. Biggest WTA upset of maybe ever?

clemenx

Banned
Hey, I saw the Vinci - Penneta QF 2 years ago in NY. I can say that I saw a GS final matchup live :D

I remember ppl were complaining about Vinci only hitting slices lol.

ghstwrld

looking at her pasts results, it's a wonder she even plays singles anymore at GSs. In the last 7 GS she lost in the first round 5 times with a single third round as the best result and now she's in a final stopping Serenas GS run. unbelievable. Biggest WTA upset of maybe ever?

GSKZNkl.gif

BowieZ

Banned
Wow.

I checked out of this open when all our shitty Australian players tanked in the first week.

I knew Serena was powering through and had made the semis.

So I go to the schedule to find out what time Serena would be playing in the final.

I scanned the page and couldn't see her name, so I thought it must be the following day, then HOLY FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK IT SAID WOMENS SINGLES FINAL VINCI AND PENNETTA WTFFFFF

Needless to say, my mind was blown.

88random

Serena didn't deserve it with that attitude on court during a lot of her matches this year. And she obviously folded under pressure.
An all Italian final, I love it.

As for the men's final, I really hope Fed will bring his A game this time. It is so disappointing to watch play great during the whole tournament and then not showing for the final match. Yeah, final is a great result, especially for a 34 year old, but he can still raise his game a level above everyone when he plays his best.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...k-roberta-vinci-flavia-pennetta-us-open-final

ROME -- Italian Prime Minister Renzi is flying to New York to attend the first all-Italian U.S. Open final.

Fresh off her remarkable upset win over Serena Williams, Roberta Vinci will face childhood rival Flavia Pennetta later Saturday.

Renzi canceled his appointments and was flying to the United States with Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malago and Italian Tennis Federation president Angelo Binaghi, a statement from the premier's office said.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
while it being vinci that did the deed is certainly a surprise, serenal has for a long time been liable to be upset by pretty much anyone. her recent winning streak at slams has just hidden that fact, but the way she clowned through the french open should have made it clear.

IISANDERII

If you noticed her racquet, she's using a blacked out frame. Since switching to it, she's done very well, including a QF at Rogers Cup. Seems she wasn't happy with her new sponsor's racquet and went back to her old one, having to black it out as she's still under contract.

Just saw the Vince vs Serena match.

You would think Serena after all these years would be able to control her temper.....

Anyway Vinci deserved to win. GG Serena.

scarlet

while it being vinci that did the deed is certainly a surprise, serenal has for a long time been liable to be upset by pretty much anyone. her recent winning streak at slams has just hidden that fact, but the way she clowned through the french open should have made it clear.

Agree. Like I said few pages ago, she's like Nole this year. Not playing well but keep on winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom