• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 22-year debate over the PlayStation mascot is finally over

nial

So, let's have some fun discussion.
This is more of a Western perspective, as SIE has made very clear who are their mascot characters in Japan, particularly Toro Inoue.
9M1Nrbw.jpeg
RO0GAuD.jpeg
It truly feels like 2002 was the moment people started wondering about this. That's when the first non-Sony Computer Entertainment produced Crash Bandicoot game, The Wrath of Cortex, was ported to the newest Xbox and GameCube consoles. On top of that, the Game Boy Advance would receive that same year its own EXCLUSIVE game in the series, The Huge Adventure.
"It cannot be that bad, right? We still got Spyro!" Not really, as Enter the Dragonfly would release day one on GameCube and PS2 that same year. It even went to the GBA exclusive route before Crash, as Season of Ice would be released by late 2001.
iVMRxLV.jpeg

Starting with the PS2 era, this has been a question that people never seemed to have a true consensus for. From Jak and Daxter to Ratchet and Clank, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Knack, and even Aloy.
pLCSknr.jpeg
V3l6ODR.png
KRjxlUK.jpeg
oDVWtGZ.png
sZoiUEV.jpeg
7ZqFqlW.jpeg
JWnlhTG.jpeg

But with the recent release of Astro Bot, it looks like SCE has finally answered this question, because for the VERY FIRST time ever, the PlayStation social media platforms have changed their usual profile pictures. And well, they look like this:
ZpNsUxI.png

Let's not forget that Astro, the proper character, has been around since October 2016 with The Playroom VR, a tech demo for PlayStation VR. The fact that it would become the face of Sony Interactive Entertainment (less than!) 8 years later is, honestly, mind-blowing.

nial

IMO, the biggest reason as to why it's also more fitting is because, unlike most of the other games (except for Knack) that are made by SIE's subsidiaries, the Astro Bot games are directly developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. itself (as Team Asobi is simply a department within the company in Minato).
0zQKMLs.png
4ySObMY.png

TexMex

Gold Member
It was Crash, until it wasn’t.

Then all this time, there are of course franchises that are synonymous with PlayStation as a brand, but none that I’d call a “mascot.” Sackboy came closest, I just don’t think he was ever big enough.

Now though? Astro is it. Without question. He was the showpiece for PSVR, and the DualSense and now that he has his own 10/10 game, he’s a perfect fit.

Sooner

PlayStation has always been about a wide range of characters and games. It was difficult for one character to fit as a mascot for the company because of that.

Astro and the games work as a mascot because he, in a way, represents ALL the different PlayStation characters. The Astro Bot games have been about PlayStation itself and all of its characters.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The mascot that really made the difference back in the day IMO was Lara Croft. The Tomb Raider exclusivity deal was huge.

That and FFVIi is what sealed Sony's victory. It had not been decided yet at that point.

Vick

Gold Member
But with the recent release of Astro Bot, it looks like SCE has finally answered this question, because for the VERY FIRST time ever, the PlayStation social media platforms have changed their usual profile pictures. And well, they look like this:
ZpNsUxI.png

Let's not forget that Astro, the proper character, has been around since October 2016 with The Playroom VR, a tech demo for PlayStation VR. The fact that it would become the face of Sony Interactive Entertainment (less than!) 8 years later is, honestly, mind-blowing.
Well, this is certainly big.
I had no idea they had never done it before.

But it makes sense, considering how the Astro games are all literal love letters to PS and their history, and not in a subtle way, to the point they legitimately feel PlayStation The Game™.

Edit

Wonder what's funny NeoIkaruGAF NeoIkaruGAF ?
If it's the first sentece, well maybe it is but wouldn't you agree it's a bit odd they did this for the very first time since the account started in 2007?

If it's the second portion, it's obvious you've never been ever near an Astro Bot game. They couldn't be described any better than PlayStation The Game™.

Last edited:
It was Crash, until it wasn’t.

Then all this time, there are of course franchises that are synonymous with PlayStation as a brand, but none that I’d call a “mascot.” Sackboy came closest, I just don’t think he was ever big enough.
I still find it funny that Ratchet carried the mascot torch for nearly 3 generations only to be ignored and forgotten by most.

Vick

Gold Member
I think it always depends on what generation you are from.

For me, Crash and Spyro were it. For PS2 you had Jak/Daxter and Ratchet/Clank. For PS3 you actually had...plenty. That gen was crazy with ideas and games coming out.
Kinda similar here.

Except for me was Spyro on PSX as I vastly preferred it to Crash, Ratchet on PS2 as, while I loved The Precursor Legacy, I wasn't a fan at all of the sequels but loved all the R&C, and PS3 unquestionably Nate as Uncharted is what truly made me fall in love with PlayStation, even though I actually loved Little Big Planet to death and thought Sackboy could have made for a worthy "mascot", and by the end of that gen Joel and Ellie felt as big as Drake for me.
PS4 had no real "mascot" as I loved most of their exclusives equally.

OT I know but while I'm at it, Xbox was Master Chief, 360 Marcus Fenix, and then nothing. Nintendo always Mario.

They changed their profile photos because they are promoting the newest release. Id say Astrobot is a PS5 mascot but not a Playstation one. Same as Sackboy was for PS3. I guess Knack for PS4. PS1 was Crash for sure and PS2 I have no idea. But now that we have 5 consoles, its hard to make a PS only mascot as it doesnt represent the past. Master Chief and Mario were there day one for their consoles and that never changed with any current generation.

Last edited:

nial

They changed their profile photos because they are promoting the newest release.
This didn't happen with God of War Ragnarok, or Spider-Man 2, or Horizon Forbidden West, OR Gran Turismo 7.
its hard to make a PS only mascot as it doesnt represent the past
The Astro Bot games already solved that problem, basically.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I still stand Kratos as the platform’s mascot.

But realistically they dont have one, they have several. Kratos, Ratchet, Spiderman, snake, sack boy, astrobot, joel and ellie, nathan drake, etc.
Many of these characters have one reason or another to be considered a mascot. Thats not something I’d argue for nintendo or xbox where their mascots are clearly mario and master chief respectively (and by a long shot)

This didn't happen with God of War Ragnarok, or Spider-Man 2, or Horizon Forbidden West, OR Gran Turismo 7.

The Astro Bot games already solved that problem, basically.

Just because they represented cute looking old game characters in the game doesnt mean it gives Astrobot a legacy like Mario or Masterchief which will forever be connected to Nintendo and Xbox. All those games you mentioned were made by OTHER studios, Astrobot is Playstation developed game so why would they put GOW or GT7 as their logo when its made by other studios. You are reaching. Astrobot is the face of PS5 only.

Last edited:

Bania Gold

Neo Member
I love Astro Bot but still saw Sackboy as more of a mascot.

If Astro sticks to using PS consoles as landmarks and controllers as vehicles it will get old pretty quickly.

Even my ex wife still has Sackboy keychains and controller holders and her little boy knows who Sackboy is.

And beyond that, Drake and Kratos or even a generic car from GT currently identifies more as a PlayStation mascot than a robot.

Half a dozen of my friends and family never even booted up Astro's Playroom with their console and none of them played the VR game.

There's still frequent posts on most gaming boards about 'what games use the DualSense the best where most OPs have also not tried Playroom.

I think Astro Bot would be an awesome mascot especially if they released more games and marketed it more (not just for it's own game) but don't think it's there yet.

nial

Just because they represented cute looking old game characters in the game doesnt mean it gives Astrobot a legacy like Mario or Masterchief which will forever be connected to Nintendo and Xbox
I'm not saying that, but the series DOES have representation of the history of PlayStation.
All those games you mentioned were made by OTHER studios, Astrobot is Playstation developed game so why would they put GOW or GT7 as their logo when its made by other studios.
Sony Interactive Entertainment is also a publisher, pal. But ok, why didn't that happen with Knack, Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian?
Toro is practically unknown in Playstation's largest markets.
It's not meant to be known everywhere else. It's very, very Japanese, really.
Pawning your potential generational youth market mascot, Sackboy, off to a 3rd party multiplatform 2nd tier developer is squandering, imo.
That's because Media Molecule didn't want to work on the series anymore. Otherwise you would be complaining that they aren't doing anything with him.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
And beyond that, Drake and Kratos or even a generic car from GT currently identifies more as a PlayStation mascot than a robot.

A car from GT? Astro may be a "robot" but still a character and a hell of a lot more personality than a car.

Kdad

\

It's not meant to be known everywhere else. It's very, very Japanese, really.

That's because Media Molecule didn't want to work on the series anymore. Otherwise you would be complaining that they aren't doing anything with him.
Japanese characters would never work outside of Japan as a mascot?

Sony has a shitload of studios they could have used for LBP/Sackboy if they wanted to leverage them...they dropped the ball by not seeing what they had and let it die with Sumo.

nial

Japanese characters would never work outside of Japan as a mascot?
I never said that, lol. It's just that Toro in particular wouldn't.
Well, maybe that's not the case these days, but it's too late with Astro Bot being a thing now.
Sony has a shitload of studios they could have used for LBP/Sackboy if they wanted to leverage them...they dropped the ball by not seeing what they had and let it die with Sumo.
Forcing studios to work on IPs they don't want to do anything with is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Game mascots crossing over to cleaning duties isnt a new thing...
samsung-vacuum.jpg

Looks like Astro Bot did a number on him:

I don't support soulless brand products.
Seeing this generic slop hit 90s while Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time was stuck in the 70s is something...

Stephen Colbert No GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
Modern reviewers love when games are inoffensive and piss easy. It is sterile and they like the flavor.

And I'll never understand this behaviour. If you don't even own a PS5, why on Earth would you deliberately chose to make a fool of yourself by coming across as a bitter loser?

Last edited:

And I'll never understand this behaviour. If you don't even own a PS5, why on Earth would you deliberately chose to make a fool of yourself by coming across as a bitter loser?
It is therapeutic when done in moderation. Though your perception is off. Honeymoon periods can do that.

Last edited:

nial

He even defended John Garvin's shitty attitude towards Astro Bot.
You are the moron here. He put a portion of his life into creating an epic and you are circle jerking shallow Family Guy-tier references.
Regardless of what you feel about the whole Days Gone situation, that was an out of place comment that got deservedly mocked for being stupid.

He even defended John Garvin's shitty attitude towards Astro Bot.

Regardless of what you feel about the whole Days Gone situation, that was an out of place comment that got deservedly mocked for being stupid.
Collections of shallow references being valued greater than competent works of art that can stand on their own is an insult to any medium.

Last edited:
absolutely agree, op - the debate is over. there've been some wannabes along the way, but, 22 years on, it's final: there isn't, & likely never will be, an authentic playstation mascot. if there was ever gonna be one, it'd've showed up 20 years ago, & it'd still be with us...

Last edited:

Kotaro

Congratulations Sony to finally have a mascot worthy of PlayStation brand after 30 years being in gaming industry 👏👏👏 bravo!

Bania Gold

Neo Member
A car from GT? Astro may be a "robot" but still a character and a hell of a lot more personality than a car.
You show 100 people a GT car and Astrobot and I bet more will associate the car with PlayStation.

No one knows what Astrobot is. Again, amazing game but before 4 days ago, the character was as good as non-existent to the average person.

Great thread! Sony has had a strange history, Crash was definitely the premier mascot but once PS2 hit it feels like Sony tried for a brief time to make Jak and Daxter the replacements in the West, before giving up entirely and letting the third party exclusives do the heavy lifting. I'd say Kratos and Nathan Drake were closest to being the face of the brand, then Joel for a time. But none of them ever felt like a true mascot, and personally I don't think any of those games or characters were good enough to warrant that achievement anyway.

Astro Bot has changed that for sure, and there is no better fit. The game is fun for all ages, the character is beloved and full of personality, and the franchise has always been all about the Playstation brand. Astro Bot IS Playstation and I'm really happy it finally happened. I hope it stays for the long haul.

MayauMiao

How is it over when its just getting started? For all we know Astro Bot could end up like Sackboy, a mascot that became popular for just one generation.

Its nowhere near the likes of Mario or Sonic.

Top Bottom