• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

Bebpo

Banned
The Day of the Unicorn is such a bullshit map and highlights everything wrong with the game balance in the early part of the game. I beat it twice, because I wanted to see if I could do it more efficiently without losing any units and I died like 3 times before beating it for the 2nd time and I still lost units.

I couldn't even USE UNICORN once on his goddamn debut map because he couldn't hit anything even with concentrate (hit rates around 50% on grunts and 11% on the bosses) and
Shin
is a way better unit and since every turn counts if going for SR point, yeah, can't use Unicorn. What the fuck. Part of the reason why I play SRW games is the fun experience of playing out eps from the anime, I would much rather have played that sequence out by using Unicorn and fighting
Marina
just like the anime.

I dunno, the accuracy levels in this game are a lot closer to the remake of SRW A than any of the Alpha or Z games. Kind of bs annoying and not that fun on hard with SR time constraints.

2nd run with fully upgraded mechs and not caring about SR points should make the game waaaay more fun.

The Day of the Unicorn is such a bullshit map and highlights everything wrong with the game balance in the early part of the game.
I agree that level was kinda annoying for hit rates. I went with the 11/11b hero which gave him 20 SP Attune and saved the day. If you don't have Attune it'll be more RNG-ish.

I couldn't even USE UNICORN once on his goddamn debut map because he couldn't hit anything even with concentrate (hit rates around 50% on grunts and 11% on the bosses) and
Shin
is a way better unit and since every turn counts if going for SR point, yeah, can't use Unicorn. What the fuck. Part of the reason why I play SRW games is the fun experience of playing out eps from the anime, I would much rather have played that sequence out by using Unicorn and fighting
Marina
just like the anime.

Well it sounds like you got what you wanted. Banagher is a shitty pilot, so for the entire map he is useless and is flailing around when going up against veteran newtype pilots.

I agree that the difficulty jump for that stage comes out of nowhere, but its at least one challenging stage out of the 16 I played so far. Personally I think I enjoyed the game actually being a bit difficult more than most maps where I am fighting against my own OCD need to abuse the game as much as possible because it's too easy.

Tsukumo

The rugby stage. /dead

They had all the shouting by Sousuke voiced too. So good.

I find the humour in this game to be SRW W level of awesome. I'm currently on the Evol missions and I'm cracking myself up. Why people hate Evol so much?

After stage 14 story gets interesting, (oh man that henkei was awesome)

I have high hopes for the story for this one. Z2 didn't really grab me, the guy was just paying off debt and stuff (well and a lot more happened)

I really like Z-1 because it was like the first Alpha, most of it was traced out of the original stories. Didn't like the way the handled Kamina in terms of his relationship with Ryooma though, because they tried to make him look serious and tough when the character is all about being over-the-top 24/7.
Z-2 was kind of a let down because there was too much exposure to the OG characters. I like the Insalam characters, I like their stories, Yuses mech is memorable (and DAT bgm) but there was really too much of it.
Speaking of Ryoma, I dig the way he interacts with the other characters in Z3: his role reminds a lot of the physEd teacher from Rival Schools.

I agree that the difficulty jump for that stage comes out of nowhere, but its at least one challenging stage out of the 16 I played so far. Personally I think I enjoyed the game actually being a bit difficult more than most maps where I am fighting against my own OCD need to abuse the game as much as possible because it's too easy.

Absolutely THIS!

What are SR points?

SR points are bonus challenges on each map. You get a small bonus for fulfilling them. The game also switches to a harder difficulty if you continue to maintain a certain percentage of SR points acquired as you play through it. Often secrets, special endings, and other unlocks are at least partly tied to the number of SR points you acquired.

Originally when they first showed up in alpha it was just a bunch of random mystery, secret conditions that you had no clue about and needed to get to unlock a bunch of stuff. These days all stage lose/win conditions also clearly state the condition for getting SR point and you also get a nifty bonus for doing it.

muteki

Does the game have a NG+ in any way?

How do most people approach the route splits? Play the game all the way through several times? Create a separate save before the split and take each route? At any point does it let you go back and replay previous missions?

Gotcha, I don't think I've gotten many so far, but I guess knowing the conditions would help me out. Thanks!
The chart on the wiki has all of the SR points translated if you ever have any problems figuring out what to do.

How do most people approach the route splits? Play the game all the way through several times? Create a separate save before the split and take each route? At any point does it let you go back and replay previous missions?
I always do at least two playthroughs, so I just do different routes on different playthroughs. You don't ever get to go back and replay missions you've already done before.

squall23

Akagi is such a bro in this game. It took him like 5 minutes to do what the entire Alpha series did in 3 games to turn Shinji into a team player.

There's the usual NG+ apparently: after finishing the game, you keep a fraction of your kills, PP, money and z chips (including those spent): 50% on NG+, 75% on ++ and 100% afterwards.

Basically, I never bother too much with route splits, as I know I'll complete the flowchart on later playthroughs.

Beth Cyra

The Day of the Unicorn is such a bullshit map and highlights everything wrong with the game balance in the early part of the game. I beat it twice, because I wanted to see if I could do it more efficiently without losing any units and I died like 3 times before beating it for the 2nd time and I still lost units.

Shin
Marina
just like the anime.

I dunno, the accuracy levels in this game are a lot closer to the remake of SRW A than any of the Alpha or Z games. Kind of bs annoying and not that fun on hard with SR time constraints.

2nd run with fully upgraded mechs and not caring about SR points should make the game waaaay more fun.
Dear fucking god, this can't be.

Ugh, I hated A Portable so much because of how bad the hit system was.

Lucis

Shin
Marina
just like the anime.

well arguably the first run is where you don't care about sr and second run is ... (but i always full sr on first run too)

however speaking of that stage. I find it pretty doable after some thought and assume you FUB'ed your mc's unit.

I was able to both shoot down both boss units during the SR allowed time frame. shin's unit might be a bit better, still shit though lol

however speaking of that stage. I find it pretty doable after some thought and assume you FUB'ed your mc's unit.

Don't even need to FUB it, just max out the weapon damage and it will be fine.

But yeah the OG is key to that map. By default it's pretty much an all-round support unit, as well as pilot and sub-pilot should have strike and attune so that will guarantee you large damage numbers no matter what.

Lucis

But yeah the OG is key to that map. By default it's pretty much an all-round support unit, as well as pilot and sub-pilot should have strike and attune so that will guarantee you large damage numbers no matter what.

without max aim and dodge on the unit, (and some part modification), you might be looking at a lot of save reload with it

my friend just sent me this lol

10256884_10151980517626356_5822886158660487901_n.jpg

Heero: "Target, Lockon!"
Lockon: "!!"
Heero: "What's wrong?"
Lockon: "No, no... it's nothing..."

muteki

There's the usual NG+ apparently: after finishing the game, you keep a fraction of your kills, PP, money and z chips (including those spent): 50% on NG+, 75% on ++ and 100% afterwards.

Basically, I never bother too much with route splits, as I know I'll complete the flowchart on later playthroughs.

Thanks, I usually only do NG+'s if there is incentive enough to do so. Sounds like the best way to get through all the routes and if at the end you get too keep all the spoils that's nice.

without max aim and dodge on the unit, (and some part modification), you might be looking at a lot of save reload with it

You just need to use it to support attack and spirit commands will give you 100% hit chance, you don't actually have to risk getting it killed.

Shouta

Gotta use terrain and EWACS properly in the early stages when you aren't super powered. I had to park Trider next to Luka and get a few accuracy part to get him to hit consistently, especially against the Firebugs. Same with the Bonta-kun mission. Huge difference when I moved those damn units away from the forest.

I haven't popped any of my cash in upgrades yet, just used Z Chips for parts so far.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Does global warming on earth mean there is global cooling in hell?

Bebpo

Banned

I think it's a bit ridiculous to expect a player to have maxed a units weapons already by 11 stages in :p

I think it's a bit ridiculous to expect a player to have maxed a units weapons already by 11 stages in :p
You don't have to shoot down the two other ace units on the map. I think you only even need to shoot one down just for the SR point?

Nah, you should be able to max weapons on one unit for sure. maybe two, if you aren't upgrading other stats.

Yeah I had like 300k in bank and maxed damage on unicorn right after I got it. Although might want to scratch like 100k from that just in case to account for money from bonus scenarios.

my friend just sent me this lol

10256884_10151980517626356_5822886158660487901_n.jpg

Heero: "Target, Lockon!"
Lockon: "!!"
Heero: "What's wrong?"
Lockon: "No, no... it's nothing..."

That reminds me of one of the Save Dialog translations that I found on GameFAQs a while ago.

Heero: Wufei. Answer me. How many more stages do I have to clear?
Wufei: ...
Heero: How many more times do we have to continue...? ZERO won't answer me... Answer me, Wufei.
Wufei: You're telling me... we're repeating again?

I'm always paranoid about upgrading weapons on one character because of how expensive it could get in addition to fact that there are times where they may not be available to deploy/use.

So far I've gotten by just upgrading the other stats and leaving weapons alone (have every SR point so far as well).

Bebpo

Banned
Nah, you should be able to max weapons on one unit for sure. maybe two, if you aren't upgrading other stats.

I guess I play different than you guys. I had like 300k and used that to upgrade about 5 units to 30% instead of 1 unit to 100% because I like having a team where everyone is useful and not just one character is one-manning the entire stage.

Shouta

I guess I play different than you guys. I had like 300k and used that to upgrade about 5 units to 30% instead of 1 unit to 100% because I like having a team where everyone is useful and not just one character is one-manning the entire stage.

One unit can soften up units for the other ones pretty easily. It's not really one-manning stages.

Lucis

Also, hirameki changing to kanji now was odd. Guess just to save character length.

oh ya now you mentioned it, it used to be hiragana
i knew there was something weird when i was looking at that seishin lol

money seems to be not that hard to get this time (or upgrade cost went down)

at stage 11 I def had genion FUB (and i didn't do bonus scenario at that point)

Now after stage 15, my wing is at 85% with rank 8 weapon, which i think will max in anotehr stage or 2 (plus i will buy all dlc soon)

so I think later on every 5-6 stages you can get a unit maxed at least.

Since I decide to go with the gundam route for everytime there's a split, i do not plan on upgrading any unit that's not in those lines.

isual

first impressions

not a huge fan of tag team

and I like to upgrade the hero a lot and use him as the main tank

Lucis

first impressions

not a huge fan of tag team

and I like to upgrade the hero a lot and use him as the main tank

Didn't like it at first either
but it's definitly starting to grow on me

Looking at the team limit for stage, it def means some units are not meant to be used, it is possible to compose a team with both strong units in a tag and switch between them!

isual

Didn't like it at first either
but it's definitly starting to grow on me

Looking at the team limit for stage, it def means some units are not meant to be used, it is possible to compose a team with both strong units in a tag and switch between them!

are there some units you have that aren't part of a team? for me, specifically;

mazinger
protagonist

also, is anyone going for as much SR points on their first playthrough? or do it later?

Lucis

are there some units you have that aren't part of a team? for me, specifically;

mazinger
protagonist

also, is anyone going for as much SR points on their first playthrough? or do it later?

No, i don't see why would you not put another unit with them, there's almost no negative effect unless the unit can't fly (and the main can, which in both cases your main can, but plenty of flying unit around)

also they made it so that they round up the movement, so if a 7 and 6 move gets together, you get 7 move (7+6)/2 = 6.5, .5 gets rounded up.

There has not been one SRW game I have played in the last few years that I didn't get full SR at the first play through except that one stage on 2nd og where all the units i upgraded was not avaialbe and made it super hard and I just said fuck it.

isual

No, i don't see why would you not put another unit with them, there's almost no negative effect unless the unit can't fly (and the main can, which in both cases your main can, but plenty of flying unit around)

also they made it so that they round up the movement, so if a 7 and 6 move gets together, you get 7 move (7+6)/2 = 6.5, .5 gets rounded up.

There has not been one SRW game I have played in the last few years that I didn't get full SR at the first play through except that one stage on 2nd og where all the units i upgraded was not avaialbe and made it super hard and I just said fuck it.

wow. you go for full sr? thats great.

also, how do you check the flow map of which stages you have completed?

isual

I think lots of people that play here go for full SR too

this is a great resource website for srw in english:

http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/Z3/Flow_Chart

I use japanese wiki a lot,
http://www50.atwiki.jp/srwz_3rd/pages/17.html

apparently the japanese wiki is not as fully updated as th eenglish one lol.

thanks. but how about ingame? is there a chart to see which ones youve gone through ?

right now I just went all left routes based on the akurasu flow chart

Lucis

I always go for full SR first playthrough.

Am I the only one who's really stingy with Z-chips? I have about 6000 and I don't know what to buy.

No reason to save really.
here's the list of what they are used for http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/Z3/D-Trader
look at it, there arne't that many choises, and some are just to good

thanks. but how about ingame? is there a chart to see which ones youve gone through ?

I don't know about ingame, haven't looked at it, maybe under library? I remember Z2 (and maybe 2.2 even) had a chart showed you which stages you have cleared

Am I the only one who's really stingy with Z-chips? I have about 6000 and I don't know what to buy.
Buy anything. They are all game breaking items.

Edit: Well I got a PS3 copy because I am insane and there was pretty much no point in doing that. The sound is just as bad, the load times are just as long, the game was clearly designed for a portable hand held. One thing I can say though is that some of the detail on sprites is really nice and might not be as easy to notice if its not on a big screen.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Got this in today, sound compression not too bad on Vita. Suzune is cute. A portable high resolution SRW is everything I've been wanting since seeing OG2nd in HD and it's finally here

No reason to save really.
here's the list of what they are used for http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/Z3/D-Trader
look at it, there arne't that many choises, and some are just to good

I don't know about ingame, haven't looked at it, maybe under library? I remember Z2 (and maybe 2.2 even) had a chart showed you which stages you have cleared

Yeah, I've already been looking at the list. They're all good choices which is why it's hard for me to choose.

Naite

Yeah, I've already been looking at the list. They're all good choices which is why it's hard for me to choose.

I generally go for the damage ones since grunt health is usually what gives me the most trouble. Also System ZCI for more z-chips.

I gave Emblem of Destruction to Arbalest for the added range and damage and Damage Avenger to any super that gets hit a bunch. My Mazinger ends up doing 15k rocket punches from half health.

mutsu

The SR points stuff is one of the reasons why I haven't completed a SRW game in years. To me I want to be able to enjoy playing through the game without reading any strategy guides and stress free, while still not missing out on too much on unlockable stuff.

Lucis

The SR points stuff is one of the reasons why I haven't completed a SRW game in years. To me I want to be able to enjoy playing through the game without reading any strategy guides and stress free, while still not missing out on too much on unlockable stuff.

Huh?
you don't need to read guides to do SR, they are very straight forward instruction on screen.

The thing you are talking about is hidden unit/parts/characters that it is almost impossible to get with out reading online wiki (which really, isn't that bad)

Bebpo

Banned
The only thing I don't like about SR points is that the best endings are dependent on them a lot of the times lately.

If I wasn't worried about putting 100 hours into a game and getting a "bad" ending, I probably wouldn't go for the SR points and would just enjoy my playthrough.

I like some SR points for the added challenge, but I dislike a lot of other ones that don't just let me have fun and wreck havok with my favorite mechs. I prefer the SR points that are like "do this in the first 3 turns" and then more enemies spawn and the map goes on for 6-7 turns. That way I can at least play how I like in the 2nd half of the map. SR points just feel very restrictive a lot of the times in terms of "you have to play exactly like this to get the point" which makes the game feel like it's lacking "gameplay" since you're just on a linear focus.

I generally go for the damage ones since grunt health is usually what gives me the most trouble. Also System ZCI for more z-chips.

I gave Emblem of Destruction to Arbalest for the added range and damage and Damage Avenger to any super that gets hit a bunch. My Mazinger ends up doing 15k rocket punches from half health.

That sounds really nice. I ended up buying the Rebirth Emblem and putting it on Genion. In hindsight maybe I should have went for a damage item instead. System ZCI sounds like a good investment. How much extra Z-chips do you get from it on average?

The only thing I don't like about SR points is that the best endings are dependent on them a lot of the times lately.

If I wasn't worried about putting 100 hours into a game and getting a "bad" ending, I probably wouldn't go for the SR points and would just enjoy my playthrough.

I like some SR points for the added challenge, but I dislike a lot of other ones that don't just let me have fun and wreck havok with my favorite mechs. I prefer the SR points that are like "do this in the first 3 turns" and then more enemies spawn and the map goes on for 6-7 turns. That way I can at least play how I like in the 2nd half of the map. SR points just feel very restrictive a lot of the times in terms of "you have to play exactly like this to get the point" which makes the game feel like it's lacking "gameplay" since you're just on a linear focus.

I do tend to like the SR points that only last for the beginning part of the stage, or ones that don't count on a turn limit. So far I haven't encountered anything that has frustrated me yet. I have 27 SR points right now and I'm on stage 28.

I think at this point I may be upgrading the weapons on some of my units, especially the Genion since it's not hitting as hard as some of my other units (that don't even have weapon upgrades and still do a lot more).

Zengar

So, I've just found out a way to gain Z chip easily.
The ACE bonus of the butler of Trider gives you an item that recover 20sp after a stage.
That one item sells for 500Z Chip.

Combine that with the other system that gives you Z chips after a stage (5x enemy kill counts per stage) you could get around 1000 Z chip per stage easily.

Lucis

So, I've just found out a way to gain Z chip easily.
The ACE bonus of the butler of Trider gives you an item that recover 20sp after a stage.
That one item sells for 500Z Chip.

Combine that with the other system that gives you Z chips after a stage (5x enemy kill counts per stage) you could get around 1000 Z chip per stage easily.

Acing that POS unit (especially ACE is now 80) is... lol

Top Bottom