• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

CorvoSol

They all transferred into the same school to help with the FMP plot.

Also, katsu is in the game. that whiny bastard. ARGH

I saw. I wish I could put into words how obscene it is to me that 1) Katz is in when friggin ZZ got shafted, 2) they decided to introduce Emma as being partnered with Katz. You know, that bastard who
got her killed.

Friggin' Katz.

Also, did Z2 not conclude Shin Z's plot? Because if it did Brocken's presence in this confuses me a bit.

Shouta

Brocken was killed in Z2, He's brought back though. Ashura revived according to the scene after stage 4.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone feel like Z3 started pretty damn slow? Didn't get really exciting until the first branch depends on which route you took (first REAL branch)

Yup, it's very, very slow start. I just got to the first real branch and did the first stage of each so at stage 11 now. Probably have about 15 hours into it already and barely any plot has happened at all after the initial OG introduction. Just been filler-ish stuff while re-introducing all the old Z2 series and a bit of FMP. Hopefully these branches will be the start of actual plots, but I'm kind of used to the the first 20 maps of SRW being the Ep1 introductions of all the NEW ENTRY series. You know, introduce the new characters, new mechs, new plotlines. Yeah there's FMP, but FMP is mainly just school hijinks and not much actual plot arcs.

I'm also pretty surprised Aquarion Evol is not introduced early on since it's actually the only NEW ENTRY series that's a decent length with a full 26ep tv series plot to get through (since everything else "new" is OAVs or movies or FMP which just doesn't have much mecha story).

I think this is a result of them padding out these games lately so that every SRW game has to be 50-60 stages w/branching because otherwise people will complain they got ripped off and the games didn't have enough content. Sometimes it's nice to have the extra maps to do the anime storylines in more depth or add more to the OG story, but sometimes it's padded.

Not really sure which is slower start, the beginning of Z3 or 2nd OGs with its 17 maps of re-introducing characters through boring drawn out padded Masou Kishin political fantasy war story. I think I'm just getting tired of the whole "waste 1/3rd of the maps in a SRW sequel to re-introduce the old characters one map per series at a time". Would rather have shorter games and skip to the new stuff with the old group just joining in bulks at a time in a handful of maps. At least the next series after Z3-2 will be an all new SRW lineup so we can avoid this 20-40 hour waste of time before the games get real good.

Not really complaining as I'm still enjoying it, but I am feeling like "how many hours do I need to binge play/marathon this game until I actually get to the NEW CONTENT" I just wanna get to where the game is full of Unicorn, Gunbuster, Aquarion Evol, OO Movie, EW, Eva, CCA, Gurren Lagann every map when it's not OG maps and the plot is moving at a good pace. Going by the pacing in Z2 and 2nd OGs, I'm guessing it'll get going around map 25.

I think the gundam route is the hardest route IMO
you don't get any real gundam for a while,
with camiel in rick diaz
heero and duo in leo (SRSLY WTF? ONLY ONE ATTACK AND NOT POST MOVE)
setsuna came in on a union flag.

not to mention the SR on some of those stages are pretty damn hard.
The ONLY unit you can rely on will be your main unit. good thing it's my habbit to fully upgrade main unit in any SRW games.

Hehehe

Not a real Gundam.

fCW0uVeo.png

So I can't read a lick of Japanese, but just so I'm clear, the Macross F, Shin Mazinger Z, FMP, and Unicorn gangs all go to the same High School?

Everyone goes to the same school. Everyooooone.

Mandoric

Banned
Whoa, did the game get patched? Battle animations seem to load up a lot quicker now.

Not in the past few days, but I've always had faster battle animations than people are pointing out. Is it possible that the slowness is a digital version thing like Halo 3 where the game's designed to stream from HDD+disc simultaneously and making it HDD-only slows it down?

suko_32

You know, I realized around stage 14 that you can send units you haven't used to gain things like PP/EXP during intermissions. Then it occurred to me I never knew it was in Z2, but that game was pretty broken anyways so I didn't miss much lol.

Also, it's kinda neat that to can do the Sub-Order thing twice when you have a split route coming up. You can do it once before the split route decision and another with all your guys eligible after you select which route you want.

Lucis

This game feels kinda hard now.

FUB genion can't 1 shot most of the trash (why the hell everything have such high hp now?)

Also even real kei doesnt aim or dodge like before.

Maybe they turned up difficulty even higher if you have full SR?

Tsukumo

I was checking out the official site for the release dates of the remaining dlcs.
One group will be released on the 15th, the next group on the 17th.

CorvoSol

Anybody know if there's a translation of skills yet? I want to start training my pilots, but I don't know what any skill does yet.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, Akurasu has me covered.

Shouta

Feels like the game was tuned so that if you want an easy time, you had to buy DLC for all the parts and cash, lol. Otherwise, it was slightly rough but not too bad, at least right now.

I haven't had a chance to play much this weekend but I have enjoyed some of the detail they've had in the story so far, mostly the excuses to not give the units their most powerful attacks. Mazinger can't use Big Bang Punch despite having the God Scrander because the drain on its Photonic energy was a result of the Shin mazinger ending was massive. Zeta was put into sudden maintenance that seemed a little off according to Kamille (probably to sabotage it too? lol).

Lucis

Feels like the game was tuned so that if you want an easy time, you had to buy DLC for all the parts and cash, lol. Otherwise, it was slightly rough but not too bad, at least right now.

I haven't had a chance to play much this weekend but I have enjoyed some of the detail they've had in the story so far, mostly the excuses to not give the units their most powerful attacks. Mazinger can't use Big Bang Punch despite having the God Scrander because the drain on its Photonic energy was a result of the Shin mazinger ending was massive. Zeta was put into sudden maintenance that seemed a little off according to Kamille (probably to sabotage it too? lol).

Wait for reals? DLC for parts and cash? wtf is srw becoming, arg

At first i thought the combo and max break system gonna make things easier
now thinking about it (and playing it), it doesn't!

you don't get combo by destroying only 1 unit in a tag team. (you lose one actually!). to get max combo and hit boss, means you need at least 5 trash mod alive and ready to be 1 shot (by 5 teams that can't hit boss!) before going out on boss with max break (which resets combo!).

I think they made SRW a lot more complicated, even at earlier stages I was thinking about how to set it up to do more damage on boss for SR (or optional boss that flees once you complete main objective).

I guess it depends on your definition of rough. Day of the Unicorn was rough enough for me to bitch about it, but I also managed to clear the map without using DLC items or spending the 300K I had in the bank.

Shouta

Wait for reals? DLC for parts and cash? wtf is srw becoming, arg

you don't get combo by destroying only 1 unit in a tag team. (you lose one actually!). to get max combo and hit boss, means you need at least 5 trash mod alive and ready to be 1 shot (by 5 teams that can't hit boss!) before going out on boss with max break (which resets combo!).

I think they made SRW a lot more complicated, even at earlier stages I was thinking about how to set it up to do more damage on boss for SR (or optional boss that flees once you complete main objective).

It's extra parts and cash. You should be fine without them tbh. Once orders are available, it's a huge source of incoming and etc.

The DLC maps are fun though and it has some additional story stuff to help out though there are some inconsistencies, at least in the one after Level 4.

And yes, combos are for destroying a full tag team, not just 1 unit. This isn't too dissimilar to only giving Morale gains for destroying a full team and not single units.

I guess it depends on your definition of rough. Day of the Unicorn was rough enough for me to bitch about it, but I also managed to clear the map without using DLC items or spending the 300K I had in the bank.

As in I had units drop to below 10% and I couldn't faceroll everything with ease, lol. I had to plan out a bit how to kill 5 and blow up Brocken's ship properly in Stage 4 too, lol.

As in I had units drop to below 10% and I couldn't faceroll everything with ease, lol. I had to plan out a bit how to kill 5 and blow up Brocken's ship properly in Stage 4 too, lol.

So still easier than Z1 then.

It actually does. The problem here is that this is a sequel to Z2-2, which is probably one of the easiest games in the franchise.

Lucis

So still easier than Z1 then.

It actually does. The problem here is that this is a sequel to Z2-2, which is probably one of the easiest games in the franchise.

I don't know what you are talking about...
This is way harder than Z3, I had no problem getting all SR in Z1 except maybe failed once or twice on later stages.

I failed SR (and actually got game over once for not being careful) multiple times already and I barely got to stage 14! (and i can fully understand japanese so there's no ambiguity there)

Combo doesn't make game easier, the fact that combo exists, they prob thought it would make things easier and over tuned somethings.

At full SR the dodge and aim capability of enemy boss is ridonculouse

I'm like, ok you want shoujun i'll give you mofo shoujun, you want kaihi? i'll give you fucking kaihi, wait, still need shuuchuu to get >80% for hit and < 30% for being hit? OK I"LL USE SHUUCHUU
BUT WAIT

THE FREAKING SP START AT HALF

FML

(oh and this is real kei)

for super kei multi pilot machine it's even more lol some times.

Like i said FUB genion does not 1 shot trash. I am not sure what version of Z1 you were playing, maybe no pp no upgrade? lol

Beckx

I

hahah, I feel better now since I lost two guys blowing him up.

----

Noob question: how should I prioritize upgrades?

Like i said FUB genion does not 1 shot trash. I am not sure what version of Z1 you were playing, maybe no pp no upgrade? lol

I am not sure either because none of the mainline games with squad systems let you one shot entire squads without some SP investment like valor or fury. Valor in Alpha series and fury in Z1. That's why I personally preferred map attacks as they bypassed most of those defensive bonuses and also saved you the effort of taking out those squads one by one.

Mainly because squads always have a defensive bonus against ALL attacks and attacks from the lead unit. Not to mention the fact that the finisher might only be a single target attack.

Lucis

hahah, I feel better now since I lost two guys blowing him up.

----

Noob question: how should I prioritize upgrades?

I really feel like aim and dodge for real kei in this entry is getting shafted

I'd focus on weapon aim/dodge for real kei

well i don't even want to imagine how aim works for super, with the SP being way not enough (and lots of super kei don't even start with hicchuu (garentee hit)) it makes things a lot harder. for super kei you need to some times get them to half hp and use their passive to bump up abilities

I personally always FUB your MC's unit, then i go to real kei almost every time.

I am doing wing then unicorn. you can look at the route split map before hands to decide on which route you will take and which unit goes which route.

Lucis

I am not sure either because none of the mainline games with squad systems let you one shot entire squads without some SP investment like valor or fury. Valor in Alpha series and fury in Z1. That's why I personally preferred map attacks as they bypassed most of those defensive bonuses and also saved you the effort of taking out those squads one by one.

Mainly because squads always have a defensive bonus against ALL attacks and attacks from the lead unit. Not to mention the fact that the finisher might only be a single target attack.

it's not that squad has def bonus against all, it's all has a -25% (which in this game there's a pilot ability to make it -10% only) modifier.

Overall I do remember both in A3 and Z1 you can wipe squads fast with all attacks with fully upgrade high tier units.

Like I said, maybe this game just made the higher difficulty of full SR even harder. I am sure it's pretty easy for normal play through with people that don't go after SR.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I don't remember Z1 being particularly hard.

This is still easier than OG Gaiden. From the SRW I've played going for all SR points, OG Gaiden was the toughest followed by OGs and then Z3 so far, then Z1, Z2-1, Z2-2. Not sure about Alpha 3 because I played on normal and didn't go for any SR points since I was speedrunning it.

The main problem in Z3 so far has been lack of SP at the start (50% starting and low SP caps) + lack of actual SP skills (people like Rihhe, piloting a flimsy real robot, doesn't even have concentrate so far) to make SR point objectives that require quick taking out of enemy teams and fast bosses that require SP to even land a hit on them (since SP is a lot more scarce).

That being said, I haven't had a problem getting any SR points so far, and the only trouble spot in the first 10 stages was the stage 8 boss because they were impossible to hit without SP and they had a barrier that made attacks do 0 damage without maximum break or an attack that passes through barriers. Basically Mazinger was essential for that one since he has 100% accuracy seishin and photon beam attack goes through barriers.

So far I haven't been spending much, saving it for the good units. I upgraded the main OG unit 50% so he's dominating and went 50% with Mazinger, otherwise I've just put some money into accuracy for the supers without accuracy seishin so they can actually hit real robots. Doesn't cost much either, you can get 50% through the accuracy bar on a super robot for 10,000 cash.

Haven't used D-trader because I only have about 3,000 and I'm saving up for the better parts.

The difficulty so far has been enjoyable for me.

Got to make sure you position units properly so you can get the most out of counter-attacks, in addition to making sure you manage the tag tension in case there's a boss that requires Maximum Breaks to damage properly.

I find that Attack Again is really useful for killing grunts in one battle. Just hope that the first attack knocks them down to below half of their hp because support attacks have a damage penalty IIRC.

Also, if you're using Kei, getting him in a position where enemies will attack him on the enemy phase is very good because of his 2-6 range ALL attack (with custom bonus). It does more damage than most of the ALL attacks I have and it tends to put grunts into the kill range (for both main and sub) on my turn. Once I get Multi-Target for him it will be even better.

So far I've put Attack again on Hibiki, Sousuke and Heero. I'm considering putting Multi-Target on Hibiki but I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it.

Z1 you can wipe squads fast with all attacks with fully upgrade high tier units.

This is not even close to true.

Edit: In my experience anyway. Maybe I just wasn't using whatever the top tier units are. Either way with most of the units I used it was not possible to wipe out a whole squad with a single ALL attack.

isual

yay. my copy is here finally!

longshot, but does anyone want to trade their PS3 HD remake code for my VITA code ?

Shouta

This game doesn't have Tri-Attacks unlike Z1 which really helped clear a lot of grunts out . Z1 also had special platoon bonuses for certain groups that gave their tri-attacks more damage as well.

Then there was the different Platoon attacks as well.

Yeah, I don't remember Z1 being particularly hard.
Z1 ex-hard is difficult if you want all the SR and ending points. Z3 doesn't have ex-hard afaik.

Z3 is a bit tricky early on but should get easier mid-late game with DLC parts, D-Trader parts, more seishins, and more upgrades. Try saving up maximum breaks for bosses if possible.

Lucis

Z1 ex-hard is difficult if you want all the SR and ending points. Z3 doesn't have ex-hard afaik.

Z3 is a bit tricky early on but should get easier mid-late game with DLC parts, D-Trader parts, more seishins, and more upgrades. Try saving up maximum breaks for bosses if possible.

Maybe they tuned full SR to be the new "ex hard" but doesn't limit upgrade pp usage... (actually ex hard is def a lot harder)

Meh, not like i mind the new hardness, it's not bad and give the game more tactical feel to it

isual

any tips?

I know about akurasu, but I've always played srw games by just upgrading the robots and on the off chance using the combined attacks.

how do you do those max attacks folks are writing of?

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I don't mind a mainline SRW actually having some challenge again. Makes it more exciting.

But they do go out of their way to make your party of robots feel super weak early on. I mean not only are you starting with SP problems, and units are missing their good attacks (like Shin Mazinger), but they give you characters in grunts! Like Camille in whatever the hell he starts in, Heero in a freaking Leo, etc...the game definitely goes out of its way in starting your party weak as hell and I guess over the course of the game you'll gradually get stronger until you're finally badass robots once again in the endgame,

16 stages so far and bosses in this game are joke. The grunts on the other hand have ridiculous HP. Most of them already hit 10k HP and I'm not even half way through the game lol I like how this game focuses so much on sub-unit. In the previous SRW I usually put trash robots as sub just for the sake of their seishin. But now you're relying on team combo and Maximum Break to do anything, which means if your subs die = you're fucked. That goes for enemies as well. So my strategy so far is to destroy a single target of an enemy team and leave at least 5 of them to do 5x combo + Maximum Break to the boss.

Bebpo

Banned
Holy shit @ Zeta - beautiful.

That is all.

Yeah, the Zeta units all look damn amazing. I forgot how they looked in Z1 so I'm not sure if it's just really good animation for 6 years ago, or if this is new animation and fantastic stuff.

16 stages so far and bosses in this game are joke. The grunts on the other hand have ridiculous HP. Most of them already hit 10k HP and I'm not even half way through the game lol I like how this game focuses so much on sub-unit. In the previous SRW I usually put trash robots as sub just for the sake of their seishin. But now you're relying on team combo and Maximum Break to do anything, which means if your subs die = you're fucked. That goes for enemies as well. So my strategy so far is to destroy a single target of an enemy team and leave at least 5 of them to do 5x combo + Maximum Break to the boss.

Yeah, but even 5x is only 1.25% damage bonus. It's a little more damage but not a whole lot more. Probably more efficient to kill a couple of grunts -> attack boss with maximum break -> kill a couple of grunts -> attack boss with maximum break.

The only thing I don't like about saving maximum break for bosses is that then you don't want to use your tag tension for the grunts along the way, yet multi-action is really useful for clearing the grunts, but then you don't have tension for maximum break against the bosses. Hmmm....

zeroshiki

I've always played SRW with as little seishin abuse as possible so them handicapping seishin isn't a big deal for me. What I don't like is that they seem to be padding out the game with extra grunts with longer life rather than presenting an actual challenge. The game is hard not because its challenging but because its dangerously close to becoming tedious.

Naite

Damn I finally get Gunbuster, only to lose her in a route split because I'm going for an all Mithril route for my first playthru.

Enjoying the emo/pissed off Sousuke voice clips in this route.

Lucis

Just signed into JP PSN and looked at DLC... 15 out now range from free to 150 (only 1 free)
is it worth it guys? lol

Shouta

Oh man, Melissa's troll face is AMAZING. lol

I got the first handful of bonus scenarios, the first two have been amusing.

Naite

I love Gates' trolling with the rest of the cast, especially with Zero.

It seems like if you don't take the Mithril route after stage 35, you'll miss out on the FMP TSR stuff entirely.

Lucis

After stage 14 story gets interesting, (oh man that henkei was awesome)

I have high hopes for the story for this one. Z2 didn't really grab me, the guy was just paying off debt and stuff (well and a lot more happened)

Top Bottom