• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

Zengar

Well. it's actually a good support unit. The customize bonus allow it to resupply AND boost +5 will so it's pretty useful.

CorvoSol

Finally got the Arbalest.

Reaaaaally disappointed that the fins and flames only show up in one attack and aren't incorporated into all of its attacks like it was in SRW J and SRW W.

Like why the Hell is a PSVita game skimping where a GBA/DS game didn't?

squall23

Finally got the Arbalest.

Reaaaaally disappointed that the fins and flames only show up in one attack and aren't incorporated into all of its attacks like it was in SRW J and SRW W.

Like why the Hell is a PSVita game skimping where a GBA/DS game didn't?
I honestly think J and W kind of spoiled us on what to expect out of SRWs. I mean, J was Banpresto's final sendoff for the GBA, and W had a lot of nice animations and dynamic kills up the wazoo.

Zengar

Yeah but how can it KILL 80 enemies?
1 patrol mission gives it 2 kills
Or tag it with a good mech with upgrade and let it initiate attack against a single enemy, it still has the kill count even if the other mech deliver the finishing blow. Use the move again tag command too and it can have at least 4kills per stage.
The Z chip is worth the setup

CorvoSol

Is the ability to take a second turn after you kill someone on your turn still in this game? None of the abilities on Akurasu seem to match that skill from Z2.

zeroshiki

1 patrol mission gives it 2 kills
Or tag it with a good mech with upgrade and let it initiate attack against a single enemy, it still has the kill count even if the other mech deliver the finishing blow. Use the move again tag command too and it can have at least 4kills per stage.
The Z chip is worth the setup

You realize that you need 40 missions to amass 80 kills using the patrol tactic, right? I get what you're trying to say but if you're a good enough player to get Kakikoji on the Shuttle 80 kills, you probably don't need to farm Z-Chips.

Is the ability to take a second turn after you kill someone on your turn still in this game? None of the abilities on Akurasu seem to match that skill from Z2.

It doesn't seem Move Again exists as a skill anymore. It does exist as a Tag command, however.

Zengar

You realize that you need 40 missions to amass 80 kills using the patrol tactic, right? I get what you're trying to say but if you're a good enough player to get Kakikoji on the Shuttle 80 kills, you probably don't need to farm Z-Chips.

It doesn't seem Move Again exists as a skill anymore. It does exist as a Tag command, however.
You are right , i dont need it. But it's nice to be overpower on 2nd playthrough.

Shouta

Whoa, I just realized that every time they talk about one of the Sphere holders, the characters get a headache. At least, I think so. interesting!

Also Akagi is BroGod. He undoes Anno's BS all in one scene, lol.

Works so well because Dai-Guard takes so much from Eva and just flips it on its head.

Naite

I really liked the way stages 44&45 were done.

Stage 44 - I use up most of my units in the last turn getting the SR point. Then at least a dozen Mykene pop out of nowhere and I only have a few units left to attack them with. During the enemy phase I realize that they can move/attack twice. Even worse is that theyre all moving next to each other so they support attack/defend each other in later turns. At the end of the mission I could only take out 3 or 4 of them while they took out 5 of mine (thank you Negotiator ability)

Stage 45 - Mykene again, but not as many and more typical Mazinger grunts (but even they take a lot to kill as well). After getting the SR point and wiping out the weaker grunts, most of my team have learned hot blood/soul/courage and I wipe out each Mykene in that turn by chaining everyone's maximum break and multi-action together.

Also I'd like to know what the conversation between Sousuke and Go from Getter Armageddon in the D-trader dialogue was about.

CorvoSol

Whoa, I just realized that every time they talk about one of the Sphere holders, the characters get a headache. At least, I think so. interesting!

Works so well because Dai-Guard takes so much from Eva and just flips it on its head.

If Akagi can make Shirota loosen up, he sure as Hell can make Shinji lighten up.

squall23

Not just Sphere Holders, it gets much more complicated down the line. I'm at a point where I'm wondering
why talking about certain missing characters cause headaches while others don't, and they're not Sphere Holders either.

Beth Cyra

Whats wrong with it? Deatscythe was always a one trick pony but in Z2 that hyper jammer attack was stylish as all hell.

Blame the Wing plot for having to kill off the most fabulous character in the show.
I have always, and will always blame Wing for that. One of only two good characters in the entire show, and they have him killed by the biggest piece of shit in the the Gundam Metaverse.

Fuck my life.

Deathcythe doesn't have a lot to work with, that much is true. However SRW has usually given it a certain messaure of love with it's animation (which is fucking horrible in Z3) and a pretty good cutscene. D-Hell EW has the Hyper Jammer and they usually use that, but for Z3 they just said fuck it like with the majority of the Wing cast.

At this point, I really just want them to let the series rest for 10 years. Come back and use Frozen Teardrop so they have updated mechs with lots of new attacks. Story maybe garbage, but so is Wing and even more so Wing EW.

squall23

The whole Wing cast is a huge step back from Z2.

Only 1 cut in/ D kill for Zero and None for D-Hell, Heavyarms Kai or TG3.

They even gave TG2 a damn cut in last game.
Pfft, all EW after W will be considered a step back after even friggin' Sandrock Custom got dynamic kills.

Lucis

Got a friend to buy me a 10k JPY PSN card in Japan,

Guess it's time to take the easy way out lol

I been thinking about the Z Chip enhancement from D-Trader

Assume each enemy counts as one (stead of tag team count as one)
At stage 16 there was about 30 enemies, say for the later stages, average 45 for all remaining stages (I don't even know hwo many stages are there? 60+?)

44 stages at 45 each = 44*45*5 = 9900
Definitly a win, especially if they let you keep everything you already got from D trader for NG+

However if one tag team count as one then you get half of that, which is about 4450, then it makes it not worth so much for people doing just one play through.

I have no idea why I keep making this game harder for myself than it is. On current stage I thought I had to do 20K damage to a boss and didn't have some of my top pilots on hand. A few stages ago I thought I had to do 24K or more in one attack. Turns out I didn't have to do any of that and the bosses didn't retreat or anything after the events played after the HP trigger.

I have no idea why I just assume the game will make things difficult for me for some reason.

Shouta

My poor VFs, getting blown up everywhere.

Despite being a tad slow, the story has been really enjoyable overall. Just like Z2-1, the interactions are great and the setup is awesome. Makes me really sad to see older series get forgotten in the storyline, literally though. =(

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, those Wing animations are...not good :\ I think Alpha 3 probably has the better animations for the Wing team. And it's such a huge step back from Z2-2. Then again the animation as a whole is a huge step back from Z2-1/Z2-2 in dynamic kills, cut-ins, and just good animation and good choreography. Z2 felt like the people making it loved what they were doing, Z3 feels like a game no one actually liked working on. Then again, how would you feel if you had to make a game about the OO Movie.

How do you activate NT-D system w/Unicorn?

Bebpo

Banned

Wow, that's far away lol. I'm still finishing up all 3 route splits for 9-13 (2 done, starting the 3rd route now, then can move to map 14).

It's weird because on map 13 of the Unicorn route the Anaheim Electronics guy explains how to use the NT-D system at the start of the map. But then there was no option to use it during the map which seemed weird.

zeroshiki

I play this really slowly compared to the lot of you so I'm only on Mazinger's intro level and I want to say fuck whoever thought its any way enjoyable to have to block 10+ attacks for 3 turns.

Well, that super cheap SAL registered shipping from Ami Ami worked wonders. I received my Vita copy this morning. It will be interesting to see how this compares to my PS3 experience so far.

Jubern

Wow, that's far away lol. I'm still finishing up all 3 route splits for 9-13 (2 done, starting the 3rd route now, then can move to map 14).

It's weird because on map 13 of the Unicorn route the Anaheim Electronics guy explains how to use the NT-D system at the start of the map. But then there was no option to use it during the map which seemed weird.

Actually, Alberto tells Banagher they don't know how NT-D works.

Actually, Alberto tells Banagher they don't know how NT-D works.

Nah the game just explains in terms of mechanics that NT-D will cut out after 5 "minutes" because the pilot wouldn't be able to handle the stress anymore. Which is fine because that's the one stage you get to use the NT-D system.

But only if you don't damage the boss so much that you need skipping pretty much past all of that.

I play this really slowly compared to the lot of you so I'm only on Mazinger's intro level and I want to say fuck whoever thought its any way enjoyable to have to block 10+ attacks for 3 turns.

Kouji can take it, this way the game also lets him build up will so he can go to town the moment things start happening.

Having finally tried cross saves, the system works pretty well, a lot better than MGS or FFX where you had to quit to the menu to sync.

Fun fact if you're playing with a non-JP account: the parts earned from DLC on PS3 are taken away when you resume on Vita as the DLC isn't on your Vita.

suikoden352

Neo Member
these games are so cool. i wish these games would come to the states officially like they did back in the gba days. makes me sad =(

Going for the ace bonus of the butler from Trider is way easier than I thought it would be. Multi-action and his cheap Gain makes him really easy to feed. Already have him at 40 kills in the middle of stage 16.

I have a story question for anyone who has reached stage 35.

Is the Genion GAI a copy of Gadright/Gadlight's Geminia? My Japanese is really bad so I can only read fragments of sentences at best but he did call Hibiki an "imitation boy" in addition to Hibiki himself seeming to call the Genion GAI a "コピ" after Gadright/Gadlight said some more stuff that I couldn't read. I also noticed that when Gadright/Gadlight powered up Lelouche mentioned that it was the power of a sphere so I think that lends credence to the idea that he's the original.

Shouta

They turned him into a super robot apparently and now he punches and kicks robots at the speed of godmars :(

lol. That's the biggest problem, I think. It's not very snappy and it doesn't have the little bits of extra animation like the scythe twirling. He feels hella slow in his animation and doesn't have a bite to it.

Shouta

Speaking of poor animations, I find that they did the opposite for Dai-Guard. They gave him new animations for some of his attacks and they're a bit better than in Z2, lol.

Also, lol at the FMP Akagi spouting Char lines and the Kamille/Amuro reactions.

I love it when say a series different from Gundam says, "GUNDAM!" in the battle animation. It always made me smile when it happened in Z2 and continues to do so in Z3. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never seen npc's call out super robot's in z1 and z2 but they do in this game. In their battle dialog they'll sometimes say "Super Robot" but since I cannot read Japanese I can't tell what they're really saying.

Having finally tried cross saves, the system works pretty well, a lot better than MGS or FFX where you had to quit to the menu to sync.

Silly question but how do you swap saves? I haven't found any info on that, yet. :(

I love it when say a series different from Gundam says, "GUNDAM!" in the battle animation. It always made me smile when it happened in Z2 and continues to do so in Z3. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never seen npc's call out super robot's in z1 and z2 but they do in this game. In their battle dialog they'll sometimes say "Super Robot" but since I cannot read Japanese I can't tell what they're really saying.

Yes, there are a lot of callouts from enemy grunts. Sometimes, even if they don't actually say 'Super or Real' robot, they'll make statements like how they're far faster or more accurate even if they can't match their real power.

But everyone who knows anything about the Earth Sphere calls out Gundams.

Beth Cyra

So rumor that z3-2 comes out in oct?
hype?

Always hype for a new SRW Anime game, but honestly after seeing Z3.1 I really, really hope that Oct is wrong.

While I know the part of me that wants Grendizer back won't happen regardless of time, if it really was Oct then I don't see them fixing or upgrading the animations/cut ins/D Kills at all.

Naite

Nearing the final few missions and I still feel mostly everyone's attacks are somewhat lacking.
-Mazinger: Pretty bummed at the dynamic kill removed for his Rocket Punch. His BB Punch is done better than in Z2, up until the move hits. Seeing the punch carry off into the distance and explodes a few seconds later makes it feel way less impactful than before.
-Aquarion: Maybe it's because I don't give it the right upgrades/parts but I feel like it's a giant meat shield early on. It takes a bit of morale to get its decent attacks and even then you don't a lot of moves til way later in the game
-Gundam Wing: Besides maybe Tallgeese, all of them seem pretty weak looking. Nataku doesnt even using both dragon claws.
-Nu Gundam: Sick as always but I think they removed his fin funnel dynamic kill.
-Unicorn and Zeta: Really good.
-Gundam SEED: Pretty sure there's some new animations but it looks mostly the same to me.
-Gundam 00: A lot of nice animation here. Except they're missing a ton of attacks from the movie (probably saving for Z3-2). Graham doesn't even Tran-Graham. Raphael is pretty bad, has 0 post movement attacks unless in the secondary slot of a team.
-Evangelion: They're okay I guess. I wish they included Eva02's ZA BEAST.
-FMP: Besides the usual complaints I like how M9-D Falke's final attack is animated which is all that mattered with him, and Sousuke's Lamba Driver-based attack is comparatively better. Only thing it could really use is some inbtween animation frames when he's charging the finishing blow. Sad there's no M9 combination attack like in W.
-Gurren Lagann: All the the space units have dumb-looking attacks. Gimmy and Darry just shoot a few beams then poke you a few times with sticks. Kittan just kicks you a few times.
-Getter: I personally like the animation for Z2-2's Black Getter final attack more than this one. Shin Getter has a way better change attack animation with all the Getter forms, but only Getter 1 has access to it. For some reason Hayato and Benkei are cut entirely out of Stoner Sunshine and it has a much weaker looking dynamic kill.
-Macross: I honestly haven't looked at a single Frontier animation since the early missions of the game, even after I unlocked YF-29 and got new attacks.

Also I'm not sure if it's a bug or whatever, but some of my characters are not using full attack names during attacks. When Black Getter spams his Getter Beam thru his cape, he sometimes screams Getter..... and then flies past the enemies. Gurren Lagann sometimes goes Hissatsu......Drill....Breaker.

Nah there were a ton of jokes and references like that in the SRW Z series. For example one of the vega soldiers voiced by Hiyama in 1 would have a death quote about courage.

Beastmen from Z2 were a treasure-trove of references. For instance they freak out whenever they fight an enemy machine that has a drill (like Getter-2).

Nah there were a ton of jokes and references like that in the SRW Z series. For example one of the vega soldiers voiced by Hiyama in 1 would have a death quote about courage.

Beastmen from Z2 were a treasure-trove of references. For instance they freak out whenever they fight an enemy machine that has a drill (like Getter-2).

That's awesome! It's a shame I don't understand the language but I'm glad I can still enjoy SRW games.

Bebpo

Banned
So rumor that z3-2 comes out in oct?
hype?

Sure hope not. I really hope Z3-2 isn't out until April 2016 considering how much more work this game needs. An October date would mean no polish to existing units, and only a couple new series added.

Considering Z3-2 is going to be the end of this 9 year franchise, I'd like for them to go out with a bang and a great SRW game. Having Z3-1 and Z3-2 be half-assed finishes to a great series would suck. Z1 and Z2 were fantastic (outside pacing issues in Z2 caused by splitting series in half). Z3 so far (I'm still pretty early) is less than fantastic.

Top Bottom