• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

This must have been a custom soundtrack then.

Wing's music is based on EW and as far as I can tell from the ST listing and from what I've heard none of it has lyrics.

In general they don't, sometimes they will leave in the Get/Open Get during Getter Theme, but in general they never/very rarely have lyrics during the songs.

Oh, right, crap, I totally forgot about custom... But yeah, now that you mention it it seems painfully obvious since in general they haven't kept most vocals.

Thanks.

Naite

Just got a trophy for attacking a unit til theyre left with 1 HP. I can't tell if I was really really lucky or it was scripted that way. It was during Stage 21.

Bebpo

Banned
So I noticed the reason why it takes forever to build morale in this one is that you don't get morale, or at least the rest of your teammates don't when 1 enemy is killed in a group. You only get it when the entire "team" is destroyed.

I'm wondering if my first purchase of a PP skill on my leads should be a morale+1 type skill since it builds so slowly and having good attacks early on to wipe out the grunts quicker would help. SR point on stage 7 was a bit close.

So I noticed the reason why it takes forever to build morale in this one is that you don't get morale, or at least the rest of your teammates don't when 1 enemy is killed in a group. You only get it when the entire "team" is destroyed.

I'm wondering if my first purchase of a PP skill on my leads should be a morale+1 type skill since it builds so slowly and having good attacks early on to wipe out the grunts quicker would help. SR point on stage 7 was a bit close.

I ended up testing this early on. I've never invested in morale skills before but here it seems like it could be useful since it takes a while to get to max now.

Also I really like the custom bonuses. I feel compelled to get up to 50% whenever I upgrade someone now.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, normally the first thing I get is morale limit break, but in this game there's no way I'm getting morale to 170 on these stages anyhow, so might as well invest in getting to 150 faster first.

Everything combined basically just feels like you're playing a very weakened team at the start. A lot of times I'm chancing attacks with 50% accuracy just because I don't have a choice.

Naite

The Multiaction Tag Command combined with Wing Zero's map attack is a hilarious combination. Was able to use all 3 shots consecutively and took out 1/3rd of the enemies, and I haven't even upgraded Wing Zero yet.

Got the following for doing all that:
- DEC charger in D-Trader unlocked
- One many army trophy
- Hundred of Z-chips

That's how it always works in SRW games on hard mode.

Bebpo

Banned
That's how it always works in SRW games on hard mode.

Hmmm, well Z2 didn't have teams and in 2nd OGs morale never seemed be a problem on hard. I mean I was a couple of turns into a map in Z3 and I went to use an attack with 110 morale and it said the unit only had 100 morale 2 turns in. I've never seen morale this low before in a srw.

Hmmm, well Z2 didn't have teams and in 2nd OGs morale never seemed be a problem on hard. I mean I was a couple of turns into a map in Z3 and I went to use an attack with 110 morale and it said the unit only had 100 morale 2 turns in. I've never seen morale this low before in a srw.
Grunts are mostly tissue paper in 2nd OG and Z2-2, they're a bit bulkier in Z1, Z2-1, and Z3.

CorvoSol

Okay, so everything I've seen via google makes it sound like 1) I have to reformat my Vita regardless of how many memory sticks I have to access the JP PSN and 2) I would have to stay on the JP account to play SRW HD. If I really can play SRW HD without permanently hunkering down in my JP account, I'd love an explanation of how. Especially since the proposed 2 mem sticks would still leave is on a memory stick tied to a different account, wouldn't it?

All of this is confusing and frustrating and I'm finding jack shit in terms of easy to follow, straight-forward answers via google.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so everything I've seen via google makes it sound like 1) I have to reformat my Vita regardless of how many memory sticks I have to access the JP PSN and 2) I would have to stay on the JP account to play SRW HD. If I really can play SRW HD without permanently hunkering down in my JP account, I'd love an explanation of how. Especially since the proposed 2 mem sticks would still leave is on a memory stick tied to a different account, wouldn't it?

All of this is confusing and frustrating and I'm finding jack shit in terms of easy to follow, straight-forward answers via google.
Both 1 and 2 are correct. If you have 2 memory cards you would assign your usual region account to one and your JP account to the other. In order to play the SRWHD remake or DLC content you need to have the Vita formatted to the JP account and be using the JP memory card.

Each time you want to use either account you have to reformat the Vita itself (loss of settings/bubble locations etc.) to the correct region account and insert the corresponding memory card. There is no way to access digital JPSN content on your US/EU account or memory card.

CorvoSol

Wow that's . . . terrible in basically every way. I wonder if I can get it onto my PS3 instead.

Anyway, I'm at the first Mazinger mission and no matter what I do I lose at the end of the first turn. So what is the win/lose condition for this map? Also, while I agree the FMP animations are sadly inadequate, I'm too happy to have FMP back to be terribly upset. Hopefully the Arbalest will be at least a little better.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow that's . . . terrible in basically every way. I wonder if I can get it onto my PS3 instead.

Anyway, I'm at the first Mazinger mission and no matter what I do I lose at the end of the first turn. So what is the win/lose condition for this map? Also, while I agree the FMP animations are sadly inadequate, I'm too happy to have FMP back to be terribly upset. Hopefully the Arbalest will be at least a little better.

Don't attack or counter-attack for 3 rounds.

So, how does everyone feel with the changes to SP and morale? To me, I am happy they at least changed it up even if its not a super drastic change. While I love Z2.2, it was way too easy and at least 3.1 feels a bit more challenging so far. I'm only up to stage 18 so I'm not sure if it gets easier as you progress.

Loving it like I thought I would so I am happy with that.

Shouta

Digging it so far. The first few stages are a little slow but to be expected because it's setting up what's occurring and introducing FMP and the new char. Art is defintiely up-res'd which is kinda of annoying but eh it's not too bad. The FMP animation is even worse on a 50 in TV, lol.

Yeah, FMP definitely got the shaft in this game and I hear it does not improve later on. :\ It's a shame because I love FMP and wanted the characters to have awesome animations, especially the Arbalest. I'm glad that as far as units go they are pretty good. Hopefully they improve them in 3.2 but I can totally see them using the same animations.

Bebpo

Banned
An interesting thing about the animation is that I don't think the animation is bad, but it feels like it's lacking the special effects that have been getting more and more impressive since Alpha 2 or Alpha 3.

It's actually too...realistic.

The FMP units for example. When they use the knife/dagger attack, the running animation is simple but fine and the slicing animation is fine. The problem is that there's no effects when they're slicing the enemy so it looks very static. There should be like sparks coming off like when steel is cutting steel with each slice or something to add impact, but it's not there.

Unicorn units have the same problem. The basic, fly up and slice with beam sword, animation is fine, it's just lacking any effects to give it a visual flair.

And the other thing is the ranged shooting animations lack movement. With Zeta units or Gundam OO Z2 units, when they'd fire a beam rifle they'd zig zag around the sky while doing it. Now they just stand still and left their gun and fire it. These are very reminiscent of Alpha Gaiden era and I'm guessing are just lack of time/budget shortcutting.

RangerBAD

An interesting thing about the animation is that I don't think the animation is bad, but it feels like it's lacking the special effects that have been getting more and more impressive since Alpha 2 or Alpha 3.

It's actually too...realistic.

The FMP units for example. When they use the knife/dagger attack, the running animation is simple but fine and the slicing animation is fine. The problem is that there's no effects when they're slicing the enemy so it looks very static. There should be like sparks coming off like when steel is cutting steel with each slice or something to add impact, but it's not there.

Unicorn units have the same problem. The basic, fly up and slice with beam sword, animation is fine, it's just lacking any effects to give it a visual flair.

And the other thing is the ranged shooting animations lack movement. With Zeta units or Gundam OO Z2 units, when they'd fire a beam rifle they'd zig zag around the sky while doing it. Now they just stand still and left their gun and fire it. These are very reminiscent of Alpha Gaiden era and I'm guessing are just lack of time/budget shortcutting.

Yup, just sounds like corner cutting to meet deadlines/budget concerns. Next one hopefully will be built on the PS3 and ported to the Vita. It seems like it was the other way around for this chapter.

Bebpo

Banned
So, how does everyone feel with the changes to SP and morale? To me, I am happy they at least changed it up even if its not a super drastic change. While I love Z2.2, it was way too easy and at least 3.1 feels a bit more challenging so far. I'm only up to stage 18 so I'm not sure if it gets easier as you progress.

Loving it like I thought I would so I am happy with that.

I like it, but at the start it's a bit less fun than usual. Like the boss fight in stage 8 was fucking annoying last night and an early SRW map like stage 8 took me almost 90 mins to complete because of it.

Basically having bosses where you HAVE to use Maximum Break to get through their shields or use attacks that bypass shields like Mazinger's Koshiryoku Beam or you do zero damage will probably be fine later on when you have more SP, everyone has 100% accuracy seishin and more people have attacks that bypass barriers, but early on, if you kill all the grunts first, and then use your maximum break attacks and the boss still has half his HP left...you're kind of screwed! Because you can't get another maximum break once all the grunts are dead. And if you've used up all your SP and the boss is fast, your units can't even hit the boss and you're waiting rounds for SP to regen. I dunno, it was pretty annoying.

I think you have to play Z3 differently. I always take out ALL the grunts first in a SRW map to get morale as high as possible and get rid of any distractions on enemy turn and then gang up on the boss or bosses one at a time. But Z3's tension and maximum break system seems to encourage fighting the bosses while fighting the grunts so you can get fight grunts -> tension up -> attack boss -> fight grunts -> tension up -> attack boss. The only reason I don't really want to do that is I usually want to kill the boss last so I can get the maximum cash from killing all grunts and so that I have access to the best attacks to use on the boss due to morale high from killing grunts.

Again, I think mid/end-game is going to be no problem and even EASIER than most SRW because with max upgrade units, with accuracy and hot blood seishins, SP regen, good parts, SP regen on tag tension, MAXIMUM BREAK + comboX5, bosses are gonna go down fast. It's just that early on when you need accuracy seishin to even hit bosses and maximum break to get through barriers and you barely have either...it's kind of rough right now.

Another weird thing is that some cutins were removed when the animation itself clearly expects there to be a cutin to cover dead time.

It's most obvious with Dancouga Nova's punch attack, where Aoi has a generic cutin in Z2 as the machine flies in to punch the enemy. It doesn't show up in Z3-1, so there's something like 2 seconds of staring at an empty screen.

Shouta

FMP is definitely bad. The units are really rough looking and the animation is mostly the key ones, nothing inbetween, which is kinda unfortunate.

CorvoSol

I noticed it mostly when using the M9's knife on flying enemies. The M9 jumps, but instead of showing that, it kinda just disappears from the screen.

Haha yeah, they just kind of disappear off the screen with that knife attack.

Stage 19 has been pretty interesting so far.

You start off fighting the 6th Angel by itself. Shinji, Rei, Hibiki and that Aquarion dude are all in the upper right hand corner while you sortie in 3 different positions with your units.The Angel does a random attack to about 2 units before the enemy phase begins, at first I didn't think it was bad but it liked hitting my battleships mostly. Once you defeat the Angel, it regains all its health and Shinji tries to snipe it and of course misses. Adds show up in the form of Aquarion units in the upper left and a few Mazinger units in the bottom right.

I made the mistake of attacking the Angel again while fighting off the other units so it's taking longer than it should. The Angel's AT field is pretty damn strong (as it should be), it uses up 10 energy each time while its attack also uses 10 energy. It has over 300 energy so it will last for awhile but overall it's not too bad!

This is my favorite map so far.

You start off with about half of your SP instead of all of it and you regen 5 sp per round I believe. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

CorvoSol

So I've been saving my money to upgrade the Arbalest instead of Sousuke's M9. Out of curiosity, though, what stage do I get the ARX-7 on?

Can anyone confirm whether or not Kamille's upgrades carry over to Zeta? I read they do not carry over which would be pretty disappointing.

Bebpo

Banned
I can kind of see why since they stuck him in the unicorn unit. I moved him to mk2 right away, but yeah I'm not putting any money into grunt units.

So far just upgrading og unit and mazinger since I know they'll be top units the whole game.

You're right, and I just noticed I did not upgrade it much to begin with so it's actually not a problem. :)

I like how Kamille has a suit from Unicorn and Setsuna had a Leo from Wing. I'm guessing this is not the first time they let characters pilot robots from different series?

Tsukumo

God, I love this new Tag combination system!
In previous games any character left behind in terms of exp lvls would require a lot of work to be brought up to the plate, now you leave characters on the bench for two-three missions and once you deploy them later they steam-roll every single thing in their paths XD.
Amongst other things:
- Rg-Z respawns after HWS destruction: YES!
- the treatment they are giving Riddhe in the game is much, much better than the anime, where he just flips like a closeted pedo out of nowhere.
- finally new quotes to Char, Amuro and Camille. About time!
- Senko no Hathaway: IT'S HAPPENING!.gif
- I like how they balanced the game: the real robot fights remind me a lot of those in F/F-Final: sword cuts, multiple evasions, evasion through after-image, I-field barriers. I kinda resent a bit the fact they didn't put in an animation for Unicorn's shield where it sucks up beam energy.
- Don't know how I feel about Shinji being best pal with the Geass cast. I think Simon would have been a much better influence on him.
- The new upgrade parts in the D-trader are amazing: powerful but not too powerful. Good job. Too bad farming Z-chips in the main game is literally impossible unless one plays the dlcs.

Sidenote: 2chan is apparently down, but I don't understand why. Does anyone know if the lack of Ex-hard is confirmed? I know there's no trophy but I still haven't given up hope.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Are games in Japan priced differently than other markets?
Generally $60-$70 msrp with the occasional $50 and $80 game (usually little to no difference between console/handheld). Z3 is priced at a pretty standard pricepoint for a newly released game.

BlackJace

Generally $60-$70 msrp with the occasional $50 and $80 game (usually little to no difference between console/handheld). Z3 is priced at a pretty standard pricepoint for a newly released game.

Pretty expensive :p

I should have enough to cover it though. Thanks.

Jaeger

The main Gundam Units from Trailblazer, and a bonus Orguss.

mLfahjs7.png
T5avNKwU.png
DDDAYfvX.png
fBGcUo3l.png
9wPJ6Ed9.png

lVBH42D5.png

I like how Kamille has a suit from Unicorn and Setsuna had a Leo from Wing. I'm guessing this is not the first time they let characters pilot robots from different series?

Not at all, especially when its all UC characters. Heck UC characters can pilot the Turn A.

The most unusual thing of this nature would be an OG character piloting a Gundam, like how an Alpha 3 OG character gets a mass production Nu Gundam.

Goddamn this game is expensive as fuck.

In total the game came around to 110 something (custom tax included).

Worth every penny.

Also Kei is a beast in this. 110 Will 2-6 range (Custom bonus) post movement ALL attack? He doesn't even have Multi-Target and it still does a ton of damage. And he has Attack Again so he can usually finish off the main unit if he doesn't get both with the ALL attack.

I'm considering putting Attack Again on Hibiki since he has around 700 PP.

What skills are everyone prioritizing now that Continuous Movement is tied to the tag system?

I don't know how they'd do it, but we need some Build Gundam variations in SRW.

Best Exia:

300px-Exia_Dark_Matter_Front.png
That might be the best Exia, but it's got the worst paint scheme.

I can imagine the next SRW have everything be within a Build Fighters style game to explain everything and get Build Fighters units in the game.

RangerBAD

That might be the best Exia, but it's got the worst paint scheme.

I can imagine the next SRW have everything be within a Build Fighters style game to explain everything and get Build Fighters units in the game.

Paint scheme aside, I really like it more than Exia Amazing. Season 2 or OVA or movie might introduce a way to un-micronize them. lol

Lucis

Anyone feel like Z3 started pretty damn slow? Didn't get really exciting until the first branch depends on which route you took (first REAL branch)

Jubern

Just finished stage 8, it's a pretty slow beginning yeah. Still like the setting and everything though.

I just checked the chart for the following split and I think I'll go with the Gundam one... I love Chirico as a dude and unit but don't really care for Votoms story and I've pretty already seen everything else played in other SRWs.

Hope it picks up, it's good but could be better IMO.

Lucis

Just finished stage 8, it's a pretty slow beginning yeah. Still like the setting and everything though.

I just checked the chart for the following split and I think I'll go with the Gundam one... I love Chirico as a dude and unit but don't really care for Votoms story and I've pretty already seen everything else played in other SRWs.

Hope it picks up, it's good but could be better IMO.

I think the gundam route is the hardest route IMO
you don't get any real gundam for a while,
with camiel in rick diaz
heero and duo in leo (SRSLY WTF? ONLY ONE ATTACK AND NOT POST MOVE)
setsuna came in on a union flag.

not to mention the SR on some of those stages are pretty damn hard.
The ONLY unit you can rely on will be your main unit. good thing it's my habbit to fully upgrade main unit in any SRW games.

CorvoSol

So I can't read a lick of Japanese, but just so I'm clear, the Macross F, Shin Mazinger Z, FMP, and Unicorn gangs all go to the same High School?

Shouta

So I can't read a lick of Japanese, but just so I'm clear, the Macross F, Shin Mazinger Z, FMP, and Unicorn gangs all go to the same High School?

They all transferred into the same school to help with the FMP plot.

Also, katsu is in the game. that whiny bastard. ARGH

Top Bottom