• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

Bebpo

Banned
What did they do to my beautiful Strike Freedom??!

Strike and Justice and Destiny had some of the most gorgeous animation in the Z series. Their beam saber attacks were beautiful spinning and dancing with light sabers featuring drop dead gorgeous effect trails the whole attack. Now Strike's attacks look clear and plain and boring as can be. Why bother redoing all of his stuff to make him worse? It's like they're worried porting the old sprites would show off how bad the attack animation choreography is in this one so they gotta make those worse as well :(

Destiny's sprite looks pretty nice, but his all weapon attack animation is worse now. He shoots guns and then it's like "hey the animation's over"...."oh wait here comes the second animation and the choregraphy's worse". I get why they had to redo that animation though because the old one's close ups were really pixely even in SD

Double OO Raiser's new trans-am animation is much smoother but don't like the destiny style "shoot stuff...pause...rest of animation comes", also miss the zero shifting cut-in but I guess he's missing that since no Saji. Overall decent.

Lock on though..wtf is wrong with his sprite??? His mech looks so fat. UX did it better!

Otoh, Zeta Gundam looks way better.

Everything feels very inconsistent in animation frames and choreography.

CorvoSol

Zeta looks sexy as it gets.

Anyway, reaaally hate "do x in y turns" levels because I can't read Japanese so I inevitably wind up just barely short of accomplishing shit before an inevitable gameover.

Bebpo

Banned
yeah, even though Destiny looks good in here, Destiny's animations are all a huge step down from Z1/Z2 so why bother?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPT_Ssag1sU Had so much style with dynamic camera angles and flipping around and glowing wing effects. Arghghghh, I don't understand why they redid all the Z1 units when their old sprites looked great! And that time could've been used on new units instead :X Is Big O the only Z1 sprite that didn't get redone? Orguss looks fantastic, but not sure if that's new or just the old fantastic sprite/animations.

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder if there were some key staff changes. A lot of the time, it's not even an animation/budget issue, it's just that the choreography is bad or impressive compared to the stylish dynamic attacks the Z series is used to. Hard to believe the same people are storyboarding the attacks out that did it last game.

Bebpo

Banned
It's so weird, like watching all of Zabanya's (Lockon's mech) attacks, his trans-am attack would be totally fine and sufficient if right before the final blow of mass lasers there was a cut-in either of the character or the mech...but there isn't. And it feels like something is missing from the attack.

I feel like so many attacks are almost fine, but are just missing that one cut-in or frame of animation that makes them feel off or half-finished.

Maybe in Z3-2 they'll do quick stuff like add in cut-ins for these attacks. It can't take that long to add and it would help a lot of the attacks look much better.

CorvoSol

yeah, even though Destiny looks good in here, Destiny's animations are all a huge step down from Z1/Z2 so why bother?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPT_Ssag1sU Had so much style with dynamic camera angles and flipping around and glowing wing effects. Arghghghh, I don't understand why they redid all the Z1 units when their old sprites looked great! And that time could've been used on new units instead :X Is Big O the only Z1 sprite that didn't get redone? Orguss looks fantastic, but not sure if that's new or just the old fantastic sprite/animations.

Speaking of things that feel like a step down, I was really let down by the Endless Waltz attacks. Especially Heavy Arms. Because in W, they were amazing. 5:30 it does this awesome flip thing with a mask and stuff that's just completely absent in Z3.

What did they do to my beautiful Strike Freedom??!

Strike and Justice and Destiny had some of the most gorgeous animation in the Z series.

I am sorry, what?

DTFupKP.jpg

Lucis

The epilogue boss or the Gurren Lagan boss? I think there are nothing special about them. Killed them both.

I was reading a few flow chart of the final few stages and thought it retreated at 99,999 damage, but I guess I didn't read the second part of that stage. lol

Sounds like the ending is a cliff hanger.... 5 more stages for me will try to finish it this wekeend (doubt it)

Watching those Z2 videos is pretty depressing. I forgot how good some of those attacks looked.

Just so many weird animation decisions made in this game. I just saw that C.C.'s Lancelot has a dynamic kill now, yet they took away Shinkiro's for some reason. I don't get it.

They should step it up to W levels for Z3.2 where everyone has multiple dynamic kills.

It's really inconsistent in Z3.

The best example I can think of is Kshatriya.
It has 4 attacks. The weakest of which is its beam saber attack.

It has a dynamic kill animation while its 3 others do not. Not even its best attack has one yet its weakest one does? It doesn't make any sense.

I'd really like to know what their thought process is behind what attacks get these animations because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it as far as I can see.

one bad art cut-in (vs zero non-helmet cut-ins at all now) doesn't change the incredibly fluid animation of the attacks with tons of movement, wind lines and saber trails.

Personal preference I guess.

SEED has been consistently the lesser looking series in all of the SRW Z games.

Bebpo

Banned
I'd really like to know what their thought process is behind what attacks get these animations because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it as far as I can see.

Which all comes back to consistency. That really seems the core problem with the animation work in this game. It's got to be a victim of a rushed release since I'd assume making things more consistent with each other are the final touch ups done in the polishing stage.

Yeah, really hope they use the next year to polish up all the already existing animation work for Z3-2. I'm actually fine if they have fewer new series next game if they take the time to make the current ones actually pretty awesome instead of awkward and often lackluster.

wait until you get quanta and see it's trans-am attack and go like..
WTF, that's IT?

No, I'd say that about Gundam Harute's Trans-Am. It's a shame because I loved Arios in Z2.2.

*edit*

Just completed Stage 57 titled
Beyond the Time
. I just want to talk about after you defeat
Full Frontal and everyone bands together as in the Char's Counterattack. I cannot read Japanese but this scene was well done, in my opinion. With the song Beyond the Time playing in the background, it made me happy to see it. I've not played a SRW game that had CCA plot (played only bits and pieces of the Alpha series, not much of the classic series either) so for me it was extra special.

Bebpo

Banned
No, I'd say that about Gundam Harute's Trans-Am. It's a shame because I loved Arios in Z2.2.

Yeah,

I'm mean look at this tag-team attack at 1:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kjpz1J7DBE#t=95

That's god-tier animation. Even better than the best of Z3 (Zeta). Perfect cut-ins, perfect sense of weight and amazing everything. And that's for a 2nd tier unit like Arios.

Z2-1 Kyrios even had a great trans-am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFlOrPaeXY

And in Z2 they had to do two completely seperate mechs for Gundam OO each Gundam for Hakai & Saisei. Z3 they just have one version for both games and it's lol

Bebpo

Banned
Now that people have finished it, outside of the animations, how do people feel about it as a standalone mainline SRW title?

I'm halfway-ish and the OG story is picking up though I think I can see where it's going. So far it's an ok SRW. If Z3-1 is really just a build up for Z3-2 in story, unit count, and animations then I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about investing 100+ hours into what's essential half a game regardless of map count and dialogue count. Hakai-hen was pretty good despite being a part 1 in all that, with the only weak spot being the pacing being kind of slowww (though Z3-1 makes it look like the flash).

I feel like if Z3-1 leaves a lot of weight on Z3-2 coming in strong on all that to finish it with a bang...just leaves a bigger chance for Z3-2 to be disappointing because of expectations. Especially if it's pushed out in only a year after Z3-1.

But for you guys and gals who've finished this game, what do you think?

Zengar

But for you guys and gals who've finished this game, what do you think?

Animation is inconsistent. Story is fine, some hilarious dialogues and scenarios (especially the Full Metal panic one). Gameplay is OK, more challenging than Z2.1, Z2.2 but not much; still easy. The tag system is fine but the half SP at the start is annoying. I hate that they
pull a Z2.1 again and hide all the finishers of the units so they could add them in the sequel though.
Overall, a good SRW and it set the stage for the sequel nicely. Cant wait for Tengoku hen.

pull a Z2.1 again and hide all the finishers of the units so they could add them in the sequel though.

What? Which units don't have their finishers? There is a huge lack of combined attacks but otherwise most units have them, at least the ones that I used.

Zengar

What? Which units don't have their finishers? There is a huge lack of combined attacks but otherwise most units have them, at least the ones that I used.

Sorry, I mostly mean combination attacks. But some units dont have fininisher like: Z gundam,Gunbuster, Orguss (kinda mixed with combi attack though)

Bebpo

Banned

Uh, what. Most new units definitely do not have their final attacks at least going by their attack list in other games.

And a lot of the ones from Z1/Z2 cast are missing like Zeta final attack, Big O final attack, Nu final attack.

Plus no combination attacks.

I'm pretty sure they held back the final attack for almost every unit until next game.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh, cool.

So it's just the new units + Zeta that still need their final stuff. The old team seems like they get all their attacks back by the end of the game. That's good.

Uh, what. Most new units definitely do not have their final attacks at least going by their attack list in other games.

Unicorn and Delta Plus definitely have all their final attacks. Certainly as far as the plot of the shows in the game will allow them. Probably applies to FMP as well, not counting a lack of combination attack.

They seem to be going at a quick pace to cover most of the Aquarion EVOL as well.

Bebpo

Banned
Unicorn and Delta Plus definitely have all their final attacks. Certainly as far as the plot of the shows in the game will allow them. Probably applies to FMP as well, not counting a lack of combination attack.

Doesn't FMP have more attacks in W?

Bebpo

Banned
I'm more annoyed at the units left out of series that are in Z3 than missing series or attacks tbh. Like wtf at dropping Athrun's Infinite Justice just so they can add it back in Z3-2. I'd rather they included it and just left it's best attacks off for Z3-2. I think this is the first SRW with Seed where they didn't even include Athrun. What a punk move by scamco. Lack of Lunamaria Zaku is pretty lame too.

/big SEED fan :X

Bebpo

Banned
Anyhow, I think Z3-2 has a lot to live up to:

-Needs to bring back the missing units from current series like Justice
-Needs to add the final weapons/combination attacks for the units missing them currently
-Needs to bring back the missing Z1 series that aren't Aquarion or E7 (Gainer, Gundam X, Turn A, also Dancouger from Z2)
-Needs to finish the rest of the Z3-1 shows that don't wrap up in Z3-1
-Needs to start and finish 2-5 new entry series that Z3-2 introduces
-Needs to pull in all the OG plot from Z1-Z3-1 and have a satisfying story and conclusion to it all

And that's not counting touching up the existing animations by adding/adding back in cut-ins, dynamic kills, fixing animation problems.

That's...a lot. I don't know if they'll be able to pull it off. I hope so! But will be either an AWESOME finish to the Z series or a let down.

squall23

Oh, cool.

So it's just the new units + Zeta that still need their final stuff. The old team seems like they get all their attacks back by the end of the game. That's good.
Mazinger doesn't have Rocket Punch x100. Godmars doesn't have Super Final Godmars.

Shouta

They gave Mazinger a more powerful Big Bang Attack to compensate and it fits the plot better for this game than 100 Rocket Punches. Zeta also has a new animation for the Hyper Beam Saber too.

Bebpo

Banned
Shin Getter Robo...I think I love you :eek:

All it's missing is a dynamic kill cut-in for Getter Change Attack and it'd be perfect. It's so crazy to think animation like this and even stuff like 00 Raiser is the same game as the rest of the 00 units and FMP units and even Eva units. The animation quality is alllll over the place.

If every unit moved like Shin Getter Robo I would have zero complaints about this game and it'd be the most awesome looking SRW ever.

RichyMtl

Neo Member
Is there someone from Thailand? I'll be travelling to Phuket in a few weeks and I was wondering if there's a place where I could get Z3 not too expensive...

Hah, I was a bit worried about the boss on stage 49 that everyone talked about it. Sure having a health limit before retreating is annoying but it was still easier than taking him out in a single turn a few stages before.

Edit: Oh and if anyone cares I still get the choice even if I don't defeat him on that stage.

Bebpo

Banned
Maybe it's a point system and killing him gives a point or something.

It is a point system and killing him does give a point. So if killing him makes a difference like with Shouta it means that he was right on the edge and that final point pushed him over.

Reishiki

Banned
I begin to wonder if we got the animation B Team while the A Team works furiously on Tengoku-hen.

I miss the cockpit cut-aways (Although the Genion's is appreciated) and the HUD shots, like 00's TRANS-AM screens.

Shouta

So busy this weekend and that I couldn't finish the game yet. Gonna have to do it at the beginning of next week.

Bebpo

Banned
So busy this weekend and that I couldn't finish the game yet. Gonna have to do it at the beginning of next week.

Yeah, didn't get a chance to play this weekend either and next weekend I'm on vacation again, so progress is gonna be slowwww.

Just hit the map 36, 3 way x 4 = 12 map split. That'll take about a week+, then can probably finish the last 20 maps up in 3-4 weeks.

CorvoSol

So did I miss something or does this game completely not do the whole Zaid arc from FMP? Cuz I don't remember seeing it here. I mean, that arc isn't in the books, but it was in J and W. Hadn't really expected them to skimp on that in a game that seems hell bent on dragging maps out.

Swear if I have to do another Aquarion map I'm gonna gag.

Beth Cyra

So did I miss something or does this game completely not do the whole Zaid arc from FMP? Cuz I don't remember seeing it here. I mean, that arc isn't in the books, but it was in J and W. Hadn't really expected them to skimp on that in a game that seems hell bent on dragging maps out.

It seems like they dedicate a lot of time to Aquarion, and that just makes me sad because it's Evol instead of either Aquarion Movie or OVA which are both FAR, FAR better then Evol.

Naite

That arc was skipped, but Zaid still shows up. I think it was in one of the Mithril route splits.

Bebpo

Banned
Btw, killing that one unit in a single turn (not the SP point) on stage 35 was sooo annoying because as his morale went up (or as his hp dropped) each attack the damage he would take less and less damage to the point where units who attacked at the start would do 7k and then doing 1.5k if attacking 10 attacks later on him >_<

Took me an hour and a half of retries and using every single support attack I had and unit within range (a couple key ones were out of range and I didn't want to start the whole map over) but I finally finished him with the OG who, while at 170 morale + using the D-trader item that gives AI/Love for Nekketsu with his best attack did...9k in the end when the boss was done to 5.5k left after a Gurren Lagaan/Dancougar Nova combo right before with CRIT seishins on 170 morales.

Felt good to get it and see the OG guy go up five.entire.levels from the xp, but maaaan was it annoying haha. Buying support attack PP skills for high damage units like Shin Getter and Gurren Lagann pays off SO MUCH for these kind of challenges.

Jubern

Morale seems to have a bugger effect on damage this time around... Or is it just me?

What so you think is more important, the Chimera Members Card (for additional +30 max will) or the D Extractor (for 1.2 damage at >130 will)?

Top Bottom