• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

Bebpo

Banned
Does Eva 02 get an additional attack later?

I have no idea, but I would assume so since Unit 2 has more attacks in the 2.22 movie. Also because those starter attacks are all pretty blah looking and Eva 02 needs some cool animations since it's freaking Eva 02.

CorvoSol

No. Maybe in Z3.2.

I like how we only have 2 combination attacks in all of the game

And by like, I mean fucking despise.

I take this to mean there is no Urzu Squad attack in this game? That sucks. I loved trying to get all four of them together to do that attack. Especially because if I kept a refueler on hand I could do that attack several times as long as I had them lined up.

Anyway, at this point in the game my best units are Arbalest (duh) / Wing Zero duo. Tend to ram Arbalest into a crowd, swap to Wing Zero and nuke them with his map. Next up is Chirico and his Scopedog, followed by the badass duo of Black Getter and Shin Mazinger.

But like, when can I start turning Unicorn into Gundam mode? I'm on map 23 for crying out loud. Also, why haven't I even seen Gunbuster yet? And where are 00 and SEED?

Where's frickin' Roger. Why am I wading through yet another Aquarion stage? Why do some series have only one song and a gosh darn lame one at that.

Sorta sad that so much of this game feels kinda half-assed.

Yeah I haaaaaate this. So many units have their "powerful attack" being just a combination of all of their other attack animations playing back to back. It's soooooo cheap and lazy and it does not feel like THEIR BADASS POWERFUL ATTACK. Feels like lazy attack.

Was so annoyed when Eva 2's starter set of attacks had the most powerful attack being just a generic lazy one like that. Grrrrr....

I hate this as well. I never played UX but I saw that a bunch of units had this as well.

There's a way to do it well, like 2nd OGS Kyousuke's Trump Card where it uses all of his previous attacks in a combo but they are animated in a completely different way than his normal stuff.

squall23

Harute doesn't even have it's scissor bits and missiles. I know they're probably saving that for the GNHW Final Mission upgrade, but it's supposed to have those weapons without the pack. I mean, having no Marute Mode I can understand, but not having it's signature weapons is just dumb.

Shouta

Yeah, they're really holding back stuff like in hakai-hen. A lot of units got stuff but it probably will be like saisei where everything is coming back.

Story really picks up in the late 30s and into the 40s. Just finished 45 and that was aamazing. The story is really coming together now and the writers have connected it so well. This series is so much more interesting than alpha. It also makes so much more sense too. I also love how they have OG enemies and original enemies based on the anime. Makes me want proper robot series =(

Lucis

Ya, story really picked up right before the mid 30 3 way split. I finished up to stage 42 now. Finally sphere and the z story line is coming back into the game. Really wonder how they are going to take the game. I mean 12 spheres, there's 7 unknown ones at the start of this game, and one just got unveiled , how the heck they are gonna fit 6 more into the 18 stages I have left and 3.2?

Did they confirm 3.2 will be the last last game in z seires?

Shouta

Ya, story really picked up right before the mid 30 3 way split. I finished up to stage 42 now. Finally sphere and the z story line is coming back into the game. Really wonder how they are going to take the game. I mean 12 spheres, there's 7 unknown ones at the start of this game, and one just got unveiled , how the heck they are gonna fit 6 more into the 18 stages I have left and 3.2?

Did they confirm 3.2 will be the last last game in z seires?

There are 6 spheres that were known at the end of Z2. I think Asakim mentioned he had an additional one top of the Goat as well.

Sorrowful Maiden
Wounded Lion
Swaying Scales
False Black Sheep
Inexhaustible Gourd
Inquisitive Goat

That leaves 5 for Z3 but we already know of one because of the hero unit, lol. So 4 left.

Bebpo

Banned
There are 6 spheres that were known at the end of Z2. I think Asakim mentioned he had an additional one top of the Goat as well.

Sorrowful Maiden
Wounded Lion
Swaying Scales
False Black Sheep
Inexhaustible Gourd
Inquisitive Goat

That leaves 5 for Z3 but we already know of one because of the hero unit, lol. So 4 left.

I just hope they're not backing themselves into a corner with Z3-2 biting off more than they can chew. There has got to be a lot of OG plot in Z3-2, and on top of that finishing up all these storylines from Z3-1 that don't finish AND doing the storylines of any Z3-2 new entries.

Meanwhile pretty much all the units need their best animated, most powerful attacks.

We'll see...

Lucis

Sorrowful Maiden
Wounded Lion
Swaying Scales
False Black Sheep
Inexhaustible Gourd
Inquisitive Goat

Ok you are right about 6. However in Z3 dialogue where sphere was first unvieled to the MC, it was said that 5 was known 7 was unknown and then
futago was unveiled by the drunk, (however you spell his name in english) and of course the imitation that is MC's unit

I looked it up.
Those 3 are no question
傷だらけの獅子 Wounded Lion - Gunleon (Rand)
悲しみの乙女 Sorrowful Maiden - Virgola Glory (Setsuko)
揺れる天秤 Swaying Scales - Brasta (Crow)
Those are the THREE Akashim currently have
偽りの黒羊 False Black Sheep - Aim -> Akashim
知りたがる“山羊”Inquisitive Goat - Xine -> Akashim
尽きぬ水瓶 Overflowing Water Vessel - Uther -> Akashim
With the addition of
いがみ合う双子 Fight Between Twins(Not sure what official translation would be on this)- Geminius/Genion

So 5 more out there, you said that there's another one Akashim that already had before Z1 story started? if so then 4 more.

I just noticed how all the units are pronounced like how their signs are pronounced lol.

I just hope they're not backing themselves into a corner with Z3-2 biting off more than they can chew. There has got to be a lot of OG plot in Z3-2, and on top of that finishing up all these storylines from Z3-1 that don't finish AND doing the storylines of any Z3-2 new entries.

Meanwhile pretty much all the units need their best animated, most powerful attacks.

We'll see...

Z3.2 80 stages linearly with route split 5 ways some times, confirmed

Shouta

It's already been hinted where one of the spheres might be in the stages up to 45 in Z3, as I recall. No confirmation just yet but it wouldn't surprise me. If that's right, then fitting one more hero for Z3.2 and then 2 villains with spheres would give us all of them.

No spoilers. >=o

squall23

It's already been hinted where one of the spheres might be in the stages up to 45 in Z3, as I recall. No confirmation just yet but it wouldn't surprise me. If that's right, then fitting one more hero for Z3.2 and then 2 villains with spheres would give us all of them.

No spoilers. >=o
Implying Banpresto has the willpower to do that.

If anything, they'd probably just give all the Sphere protagonists
Third Stage, maybe even Fourth.

Shouta

Actually, the remaining 3 being villains in Z3-2 would be pretty awesome. It'd perfectly setup for future OG games.

Lucis

CAN NOT HOLD IN THE EXCITEMENT THINKING ABOUT HOW THIS WILL END

(again, do we know if 3.2 will be the end end?)

Bebpo

Banned
CAN NOT HOLD IN THE EXCITEMENT THINKING ABOUT HOW THIS WILL END

(again, do we know if 3.2 will be the end end?)

Yes. 3.2 is the last game ever in the Z series.

(so Eva Rebuild will never get an ending lol; they should have 3-2 include 3.33 & End of Eva and do some creative artistic licensing and merge the two hehe)

Shouta

If anything, it'll be Hibiki + another character to support him.

However, they could toss a wrench in it give us another hero or make it so we get to choose the main character like in A3, lol. Where, rather than just paths, they're the ones that get the power of the remaining Spheres to give them unique mech upgrades. =o

Bebpo

Banned
If anything, it'll be Hibiki + another character to support him.

However, they could toss a wrench in it give us another hero or make it so we get to choose the main character like in A3, lol. Where, rather than just paths, they're the ones that get the power of the remaining Spheres to give them unique mech upgrades. =o

Or maybe we have 4 route choices with Rand, Setsuko, Crowe and Hibiki ;)

Although having a single route with the 4 of them working together to do a 4 unit gattai finishing attack would be pretty amazing. DO IT BRANPRESTO

Or just have everyone die in Z3-2 except for Crowe and he takes all the spheres and wins mwahahaa BEST ENDING

Shouta

4 routes would be awful because they'd have to generic-up the story to fit it. That's the problem with Alpha 3. It's really, really generic for everyone but Cobray because their stories were pretty much divorced from the overall scenario,. The current structure has all the protagonists as very important characters in the storyline, so playing that up would be the best. Choose your protagonist so they become more important but keeping a smaller number of splits/etc would probably be the best overall. Do a few things for them and maybe a bit more focus in the story on their stuff in certain stage swaps sure but no more A3 silliness >=o

Lucis

That's not correct. Saisei-hen had the same protagonist. They just added another character to support him.

i was more replyign to bebpo's saying that they'll make a new mc, which i believe will be the same mc

i hope there will be a new MC with a new unit but the current MC will still be there. lots more fun!

Lucis

4 routes would be awful because they'd have to generic-up the story to fit it. That's the problem with Alpha 3. It's really, really generic for everyone but Cobray because their stories were pretty much divorced from the overall scenario,. The current structure has all the protagonists as very important characters in the storyline, so playing that up would be the best. Choose your protagonist so they become more important but keeping a smaller number of splits/etc would probably be the best overall. Do a few things for them and maybe a bit more focus in the story on their stuff in certain stage swaps sure but no more A3 silliness >=o

Alpha had A LOT more OG stuff involved I feel.
TBH, feels way too less some times

Characters that join you are just the MC
and Z2 had that pearl unit that you convert.... that's about it.
I don't remember much about Z1, but I am fairly sure there was not the OG units like they had in Alpha

squall23

Everybody should follow my example and use Kenzen Robo Daimidaler as the BGM for all Supers. It's just, so great. It works way too well.

Bebpo

Banned
No, Bebpo meant
EVA-02
, which is also no.

Yeah, super lame they don't cover the end of Rebuild 2.22. The end battle is the first major holy fuck this is deviating from Eva TV part where it comes into it's own. Plus the game version of that should have Eva 02 beast mode, human arm ultimate attack Eva 01 and then Eva 01 going 3rd impact only to be stopped by the spear of Longinus. That's a lot of crazy stuff for 1 map and would've made a great "final EVA MAP" for Z3-1. Especially since 3.33 (which should be in Z3-2) has it's own share of crazy battles including the final battles of 3.33. They didn't need to push 2.22's ending stuff into it.

Otoh, now this means they have A LOT of sprite work to do for Eva Rebuild in Z3-2. Hopefully it's good.

squall23

I think my favourite OG-anime interaction was Stage 42B where the Firebug cronies were calling Chidori their new princess. Because you know, Chidori's just as abusive and vulgar as Marilyn was and also voiced by Satsuki Yukino.

Early
fif
ties and I just managed to ace Zechs for that sweet sweet Ace bonus.

I just realized something for the first time as well.

When a unit is forced to sortie and it says FREE on their empty sub-unit spot, you can actually put a unit there.

This whole time I thought the only way for forced deploy units to have a sub-unit was if the game did it automatically.

I'm less than 10 stages from the end and I still have a ton of PP on everyone.

I just can't decide on what to get.

EDIT: Does anyone know what Basara's Dynamite Explosion does? It seems like sometimes it gives the unit accelerate and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm less than 10 stages from the end and I still have a ton of PP on everyone.

I just can't decide on what to get.

EDIT: Does anyone know what Basara's Dynamite Explosion does? It seems like sometimes it gives the unit accelerate and sometimes it doesn't.

It passes on several Spirits to the target Team. The number depends on the amount of Song Power Basara has at the time.

Accel, Flash, Bless, Cheer.

And if you use Valour on Basara he'll pass on Valour to the target team as well.

Zengar

It passes on several Spirits to the target Team. The number depends on the amount of Song Power Basara has at the time.

Accel, Flash, Bless, Cheer.

And if you use Valour on Basara he'll pass on Valour to the target team as well.

It's overpowered with the Map version, give hot blood and other spirits to 4 adjacent unit at the cost of 1 hot blood cast. I abused it like hell in the later stages.

Bebpo

Banned
Having done the 22-27 split both ways now, it's actually not that bad. Even though it's technically the same maps, they mix and match sub-parts of the maps, so you get some cool cross-over stuff in each that isn't in the other. Plus they each have unique scenes from their respective animes.

Also Zeta Gundam (series) animations and CCA animations are crazy, but it just seems really odd that they decided to completely redo from scratch the sprites and animations instead of keeping the perfectly fine ones and spend that effort actually making the new entry series have better animation. Then again, I guess since Z3-1 is very UC Gundam heavy plot-wise, they wanted the UC series to look really good. Doesn't explain why Zeta and CCA units look better than Unicorn though :mad:

Shouta

Woo, got the IF route on my first run. I had to go back to Map 49 and beat the boss on there to get it though. I'm so glad I saved before I killed him. lol

That sounds pretty useful. Is there a site somewhere that shows how much song power you need for each spirit?

Woo, got the IF route on my first run. I had to go back to Map 49 and beat the boss on there to get it though. I'm so glad I saved before I killed him. lol

You know what's funny. I actually had my save in the same place and decided to go back and kill him instead of letting him retreat. I misjudged one of my attacks which left him at around 4000HP. I could have easily just re-loaded my battle save and finished him but I thought to myself "this probably doesn't do anything".

I'm going to re-load my save and do that level again to see if that's really what I needed.

EDIT: Nevermind, it turns out I ACCIDENTALLY OVERWROTE THAT SAVE.

Beckx

Nu Gundam makes me very happy.

I don't know how to feel about Stage 37. I really left myself weak for this route, most of my upgraded (and leveled up!) units went to other routes, leaving me with lower level or un-upgraded teams (but fully upgraded Banagher is monster enough to get by). On the one hand it was kind of challenging but the SR and win conditions are really easy. Fun stage though.

Tsukumo

That sounds pretty useful. Is there a site somewhere that shows how much song power you need for each spirit?

Still trying to figure Basara out, considering how much it changed from Alpha 3, but basically:

-the amount of health he restores, morale he raises, and points he adds to skills are influenced by his SongPower AND the energy he has. Which means that even if you have high SongPower, being low on energy will gimp the amount of restoration/buffing he will do.
-since they removed the skill to raise SongPower, the "only" way to do it is getting him into fights. I think the system got changed considerably from Alpha 3 because it seems to me that SongPower doesn't increase much if he attacks non-Macross enemies or when he gets hit, while increases consistently when he dodges and doesn't attack.
-SongPower also increments slightly at the start of each turn.
-the greatest increase in SongPower will happen when you make Macross' enemies retreat.
-to acknowledge the amount of restoration/debuff you will do, select the weapon you want and press select: the help features will detail the effect of the attack AND the effect of the attack if you enhance it with nekketsu (don't know the proper translation in English).

Shouta

Basara's singing stat should increase the gains on his songs in addition to Song Energy. He's somewhat nerfed in this because there aren't as many Vajra in the game making his ability to gain PP limited. He's still hella buff though, especially for Morale and healing purposes. Zero is better for Stats, of course.

Lucis

Basara's singing stat should increase the gains on his songs in addition to Song Energy. He's somewhat nerfed in this because there aren't as many Vajra in the game making his ability to gain PP limited. He's still hella buff though, especially for Morale and healing purposes. Zero is better for Stats, of course.

Well consider the tag tention system in game, they had to do that.

Consider stage 43, you can pretty much make every bajra retreat the turn they spawn using basara, and he will go up to 99k song power in one turn (continue action 7 times)

Also
FMP story in this entry confused me a bit, a bit different from what i remember in anime, so I watched the anime agian, they definitly have the time line mixed, and it seems they added in the manga element.

Shouta

Anyway, I'm up to 50 now and the way the story is connecting and coming together makes so much sense. It's much easier to follow than most other SRWs, even Z1/Z2 and those were were pretty easy to follow. It makes me think about some of the things that occurred in those games as well, especially the elements and motifs they've used.

I also like how the factions are placed in this, it's simpler because they aren't political factions but it really enriches the lore this time around.The call backs to older story elements are really nice too and most seem to be made really relevant to what's going on in the plot right now.

Top Bottom