• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

Tsukumo

Morale seems to have a bugger effect on damage this time around... Or is it just me?

What so you think is more important, the Chimera Members Card (for additional +30 max will) or the D Extractor (for 1.2 damage at >130 will)?

Chimera member card. Morale will improve not only your damage output (both melee and shooting stats) but also your defense stat. Basically, each point of Morale from 100 on will be added temporarily to these three stats and improve a pilot's performance.
And yeah, I noticed some crazy damage spikes too, but I think they also have improved critical damage considerably.

I begin to wonder if we got the animation B Team while the A Team works furiously on Tengoku-hen.

I miss the cockpit cut-aways (Although the Genion's is appreciated) and the HUD shots, like 00's TRANS-AM screens.

I imagine that's the case. I remember Z2.1 being a little lackluster compared to Z2.2 for example.

Z3.2 is also going to be the end of the series so I have high expectations.

Bebpo

Banned
Re: Gunbuster (not sure if spoiler, but I guess I'll tag it)

I'm only on map 36 (so just past Gunbuster's introduction) but I'm kind of bummed at how Gunbuster was handled. Starting at basically post-Gunbuster OAV7 just screams of "we're only doing it because we're doing Diebuster in Z3-2 and we're doing as little Gunbuster as possible because it's not the emphasis".

But I feel like a lot of the impact of Diebuster is going to be lost by not actually doing Gunbuster's story from the beginning. This game really gave them a nice chance to do Gunbuster in one game, then Diebuster in the next. And it's not like it even would've taken much more effort! They already are doing Gunbuster's sprite and animations and enemies anyways! All they'd need are a couple of Buster Machines and the rest costs nothing and is just dialogue boxes as they do the story eps.

Having just finished up Alpha 3 before playing this, I was looking forward to playing through Gunbuster's story from the beginning since Alpha 3 pretty much just covered the final OAV. But now this is pretty much just the same again except with an even smaller cast. Pretty dissapointing.

At least this practically confirms Diebuster for Z3-2 because there's no reason to just include the endgame Gunbuster unless you needed it for doing Diebuster.

Also the game could've used another storyline, the game is pretty bloated and how many maps do you fight Aquarion enemies or Neo Zeon or FMP enemies? It's bad enough 00 Movie plotline is being saved for Z3-2 (would've preferred they got it over with here and Z3-2 would be ELS spam free), but not doing 00 Movie or Gunbuster when there's only like 7 new entry titles in the first place is really weak.

So yeah, really enjoyed that miss z-blue contest dlc lol. Does it default to
Suzune
no matter what traits you pick?

Sakuya Shunsuke according to his dictionary entry.

Thanks.

No wonder I haven't heard him before. He's hardly done any video game roles!

What about Hibiki? That's another voice that I can't really place.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Re: Gunbuster (not sure if spoiler, but I guess I'll tag it)
Idk I liked the way they tied in the black hole time dilation from the OVA as being 12000 years long. Really hope Diebuster makes it into Z3.2 because I can see a cop out with them just adding Kazumi or something.

Thanks.

No wonder I haven't heard him before. He's hardly done any video game roles!

What about Hibiki? That's another voice that I can't really place.
Lists Murakami Ryu but I'm pretty sure he's a new actor

Shouta

The reason for the situation with Gunbuster probably will tie into something in Tengoku-hen's OG storyline, I think.

squall23

The real travesty of Gunbuster in Z3-1 is
Noriko and Kasumi didn't get to see 'OKAERINASAI.
'
You can't really do something like that when Earth is still fighting the Baal.
Gunbuster's ending only makes sense under the assumption that the STMC are wiped out, which isn't the case here.

Bebpo

Banned
Well the problem is that if you do Gunbuster & Diebuster, you can't have the
Okaerinasai
because of where Diebuster takes place in Gunbuster's timeline.

I guess they could still do it, just differently at the end of Z3-2.

Bebpo

Banned
I really like the DLC stages, maybe moreso than many of the main game stages.

They're short, to the point, don't have SR points to distract and usually have really good cross-over jokes and character development. Plus you get good loot from them :X

I really like the DLC stages, maybe moreso than many of the main game stages.

They're short, to the point, don't have SR points to distract and usually have really good cross-over jokes and character development. Plus you get good loot from them :X

What DLC stages would you recommend? I've got 2,000 yen sitting in my Japanese account.

Bebpo

Banned
What DLC stages would you recommend? I've got 2,000 yen sitting in my Japanese account.

So far I've liked the Amuro training Unicorn kids one, SEED/OO/Wing/Zeta crossover one, Big O one was kind of fun, Tetsujin 28 bank heist one. I'll have to look at the list to refresh my memory and get the names of the maps later.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
巨大なX, 猫と仔猫のR&R, and 強き事は美しき哉 were some of my favorites.

Stage 60 is pretty damn crazy. I'm not a big Gurren Lagann fan but I enjoyed this stage. I did not expect an
epilogue stage
after 60, it's super easy though. Now to see how many times I can replay this one.

Bebpo

Banned
Looking at the game now, the DLC I'd recommend so far that are available up to map 40:

&#35488;&#24847;&#12398;&#12459;&#12479;&#12481; <- Aquarion one that actually features an ep from the TV show that's not in the main game (it's interesting how they're taking some of the less active eps from shows that are canon and sticking them in DLC parts)

&#36229;&#33021;&#21147;&#26908;&#26619; <- Tetsujin 28/Godmars one that feels like maybe it was a canon Tetsujin 28 ep story.

&#26032;&#19990;&#20195;&#12392;&#12491;&#12517;&#12540;&#12479;&#12452;&#12503; <- Amuro working with the new age Gundam characters and interacting on the changing of times. Pretty neat.

&#12488;&#12521;&#12452;&#12450;&#12531;&#12464;&#12521;&#12540;&#12474; <- Mac F (zzz) and Mac 7 one that's just ok but Basara acts nuts in it lol

&#20693;&#36948;&#12398;&#34892;&#26041; <- Gundam 00/SEED crossover that's pretty nice.

S.W.A.L.K <- Ok Big O little side story.

&#12456;&#12463;&#12473;&#12488;&#12522;&#12540;&#12512;&#12539;&#12496;&#12488;&#12523; <- Kind of cool if you want a challenging map and fight all the bosses at once.

Now if you can't read the dialogue, the DLC maps are worthless besides the extra money and parts since there's no new animations/units/attacks (at best you get a voiced line). Really what makes them enjoyable little pop entertainments (like SRW Z Special Disc) is the dialogues between characters. Lots of nice jokes and small stories.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, Aquarion Evol's animations SUCK. I think an even bigger letdown than FMP because FMP are real robots that just need to shoot guns and run up and cut stuff. Aquarion Evol is a crazy super with bizarre over the top attacks. The animations for Evol and the Evol enemies are barely better than handheld SRW quality. Really annoying since Aquarion and now Evol are some of my favorite supers to actually use on maps. They better get a damn nice looking attack in Z3-2 to make up for this >_<

Yeah, it seems like a pretty skimmed writeup of all the events that happen in game but am still pretty grateful its there. I'd love to be able to take all of the story in especially all the crazy FMP moments that happened!

Heh during my 2nd playthrough I noticed a typo in the scene before mission 13 Mithril route. It says ZEIXS! Very minor but it stuck out like a sore thumb. :p

Shouta

Finished. I spent a surprisingly decent amount of hours with the game and probably some of it just idling in the game, lol.

Great story stuff, graphics complaints aside but some of the later attacks are sick, like crazy awesome. =o

Zengar

While I cant wait for Tengoku hen, I'd rather they have OG3 as the next title. Dis Astranagun + Shin RyuKouou+DaiRaiOh will be glorious.

Yeah I probably never want to see another OG title ever again. I doubt they'd do another one with the budget and production values of 2nd OGs. They would never do or do well the things I want them to do. OGs is a guaranteed road to disappointment at this point in time for everyone.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone else notice that there's an animation glitch in Tetsujin 28's full power attack? At the end of the Dynamic Kill he cuts the enemy in half with his flying kick and then flies off the left side of the screen. Then the enemy's halves explode in the background and suddenly Tetsujin 28 come flying from the right side of the screen and flies back off the left side of the screen a second time. Kind of irks me each time I see it. Not sure how they missed that.

Yeah I probably never want to see another OG title ever again. I doubt they'd do another one with the budget and production values of 2nd OGs. They would never do or do well the things I want them to do. OGs is a guaranteed road to disappointment at this point in time for everyone.

Uh, I don't see why the next OG won't have as good of animation and 2nd OGs. They had to do A LOT of new sprites for 2nd OGs. Whereas a 3rd OGs would only be doing sprites for the new units, which aren't that many even if they do Alpha 3, J, W, K and something else. They're not going to start the Z sphere plot until 4th OGs since sphere + balmer wouldn't really mix. Probably will introduce Rand & Setsuko though pre-sphere upgrade versions.

I expect 3rd OGs development to go pretty quickly and smoothly. Probably will be out at the end of 2015.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, lots of SRW recycle sprites/animations. As long as there's a decent amount of new units/enemies with new sprites like Z2 and Z3, it's still good.

Looking forward to seeing their animations of Dis Astragant and Rand/Setsuko's mechs.

Can't wait for whatever OG game will have Crowe though, because he and his Brasta deserve better animations! So does Hibiki. I like Hibiki's mech and the animations are alright (better than Blasta) but he's got some weird shit too that OGs can fix, like can we talk about Gai-mode's 3rd attack with the gun? The kill (dynamic?) where he ...taps...the enemy with a gun...is super wtf and unimpressive. I expected the DK to be unleashing armeggedon out of that gun at point blank range on the enemy anhillating them to smithereens. But nope, he taps them and they fall back down and take their damage. Cool mech, some odd, odd animations choices. Though I like Storm Bringer.

Digging through game data shows that huge gun has a bayonet that was never used.

Maybe Tengoku-hen.

He also gets another finisher later. It's a doozy.

Bebpo

Banned
Digging through game data shows that huge gun has a bayonet that was never used.

Maybe Tengoku-hen.

He also gets another finisher later. It's a doozy.

Yeah, I figured there'd be more attacks since there's still a lot of game left at this point. Doesn't change that the one I'm talking about is a weird weird animation :p

On a more positive note, the music for Gai rocks. Branpresto still hasn't lost their touch at making kickass OG themes. It's another reason why the OG games are great, so much good music!

Bebpo

Banned
Personally I expect SRW timetable to be something like this:

Fall 2014 - Mobile SRW

April 2015 - Z3 Tengoku-hen

Fall 2015 - UX-team 3DS or Mobile or Vita game

Summer 2016 - 3rd OGs

Fall 2016 - Masou-Kishin or filler stuff

Spring 2017 - @/Z-series team's first entry in new franchise

Shouta

Biggest probably with the Geninion animations is that it's part Bruce Lee and part random firepower, lol.Makes it kind of weird to look at.

Anyway, story-wise this is probably the easiest to follow of all the SRW games I've played. Most of the pieces work well together and make a pretty cohesive plot. It's really interesting just how important the Aquarion plot line is to Z in general. I also really enjoyed the fact they did some original content for this that wasn't just OG,but for Shin Mazinger. That's really something and highly welcome. I'd wish they do more of.

I think i need to start taking notes as I play the game because they often drop hints everywhere in the story and that leads to some interesting things.

I'll start writing a summary from memory in a bit with the major events that happened but I'll take questions on specific points as well to make it easier to pinpoint shit, lol.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ended up getting the IF route. Only convinced Goora once with Shoutarou. The choice popped both when I killed stage 49 boss and when I didn't kill him. Might also have something to do with total turn count up to that point idk.

Went Merida Island and
Mari
replaced
Asuka
by default when the teams rejoined &#65288;&#12539;&#65313;&#12539;&#65289;
I like the character but she has like no lines. Almost thought she had no lines in battle either because the first time I watched an attack animation with her Misato spoke every line in the animation.

So far Noriko + Aoi are my most broken team. Using Basara to boost their will on first turn activates awakening on Dancouga Nova, Gunbuster gets miracle at 150 after that so they pretty much move all the way across the map and blow up the boss on the first turn without multiaction. Noriko is already hitting 30k+ on her own with miracle, it's bananas.

Yeah, I'll definitely appreciate that write up.

For all of the conjecture about getting the If route, the actual route itself was pretty disappointing. I skipped over it the first time to save it for subsequent playthroughs but I shouldn't have bothered. They basically just reordered when certain events occurred and when certain bosses showed up.
Zeus
is good at least.

Went Merida Island and
Mari
replaced
Asuka
I like the character but she has like no lines. Almost thought she had no lines in battle either because the first time I watched an attack animation with her Misato spoke every line in the animation.
I think she has literally one line after the stage you acquire her. About as pointless as her
appearance.

Jubern

I got the Byalant Custom, yeeeees. Pretty nice unit and Four will be a perfect support for Kamille. Almost aced her with stage 48 too, maybe the Newtype skill will make her a bit more useful.

As this happen before by the way? An artificial newtype turning into a real one (in SRW or otherwise)?

edit > WTF, she inherited the level from Artificial Newtype +1 so she starts Newtype Lv 8?! lol

squall23

Went Merida Island and
Mari
replaced
Asuka
I think she has literally one line after the stage you acquire her. About as pointless as her
appearance.
She also talks with AG, but THAT'S IT.

Check if it ups your turn count? Some older games had secrets tied to the total turn count.

Although I doubt Z3 will penalize you with anything other than tedium and boredom.

Check if it ups your turn count? Some older games had secrets tied to the total turn count.

Although I doubt Z3 will penalize you with anything other than tedium and boredom.
I enjoy tedium, grinding in anything remotely close to an RPG is always fun to me. My lack of knowledge with Japanese leads me to not really care for things like SR points despite there being guides helping you through it.

Top Bottom