• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

I have both OG and Z3 on the way and just realized I've never tackled two SRW games at once. I've been pretty hyped for Z-3 so I'll start with that.

Itsuki

Got Amiami invoice (Vita ver.) and I've just paid it.

Holy crap. Its only going for 1500 yen??? Isn't that around 15-20usd?

I'm not surprised that the SRW remake will cost 1500 yen. Alpha, Alpha Gaiden and Z are 1500 yen each on the PSN.

muteki

First time going into a SRW game at launch.

How representative is the units list on the official site in comparison to what's in the actual game? Should I expect a lot of surprise units not already in the list?

I only ask because it seems like some of the series only have 1 or two units represented. If Zeta only has the MkII for instance, that is a bit disappointing.

I only ask because it seems like some of the series only have 1 or two units represented. If Zeta only has the MkII for instance, that is a bit disappointing.

Well all I can say for certain is that Zeta is going to have a better showing in Z3 than it did in Z2.

Shouta

My PS3 copy is paid for. Let's go. =o

First time going into a SRW game at launch.

How representative is the units list on the official site in comparison to what's in the actual game? Should I expect a lot of surprise units not already in the list?

Zeta will probably have at least Zeta, Mk-II, and Methuss, I bet. Dunno about the Hyakushiki.

You know considering the games never get brought over, fan translation are few and far in-between and the OG games have trouble being brought over, I'm surprised Banpresto haven't considered the option of the menus being translated into English. At least English speakers could play the game properly, story excluded.

Well, it's meant to be sold to Japanese audiences and their fans so Banpressto probably thinks majority of its target audiences shouldn't have a problem navigating through menu.

Shouta

Cockpit setups were used as a motif to represent the relationship in Godannar as I recall which is why I remembered them so well. I don't recall the exact positioning for the others but Volspina and Godannar were reverse of each other and the Volspina was further a part, I think.

CorvoSol

Cockpit setups were used as a motif to represent the relationship in Godannar as I recall which is why I remembered them so well. I don't recall the exact positioning for the others but Volspina and Godannar were reverse of each other and the Volspina was further a part, I think.

I sorta thought that mech piloting in general was a metaphor for sexual relationships in Godannar. Which is why the relationships in that show went to some very odd places at times.

Shouta

I sorta thought that mech piloting in general was a metaphor for sexual relationships in Godannar. Which is why the relationships in that show went to some very odd places at times.

That too. It's such a fun show and surprisingly well constructed in spite of how much damn fanservice it has.

Still too much Anna blubbering though.

Thorgal

You know considering the games never get brought over, fan translation are few and far in-between and the OG games have trouble being brought over, I'm surprised Banpresto haven't considered the option of the menus being translated into English. At least English speakers could play the game properly, story excluded.

I think going with that approach would net them even fewer sales in the west (which probably won't be much to begin with. ) then if they translated all the text to English .

CorvoSol

That too. It's such a fun show and surprisingly well constructed in spite of how much damn fanservice it has.

Still too much Anna blubbering though.

My favorite part of Godannar was actually the attack move names and the different bases. Like "Heart-Breaker!" and "Soul-Breaker!" And "DINO BASE."

I mean who would want to be stuck in lame ol' Japan Base when you could be in DINO BASE?

Shouta

From what I'm hearing, the FMP units are still crappy looking, lol. They got the Daiguard treatment.

I really wish Godannar was in a console SRW.

From what I'm hearing, the FMP units are still crappy looking, lol. They got the Daiguard treatment.
Daiguard? Please. They got the broadcast version of Godmars treatment. One of Gaia's attacks probably has more unique frames than all of theirs combined.

CorvoSol

I really wish Godannar was in a console SRW.

:( That's too bad. I thought their animations were okay in SRW W. Still crossing my fingers they adapt the manga for SRW Z3-2

I'm torn between getting the vita or ps3.

help.

It's down to whether you care about it being portable or not. After watching that stream, it's (even more) obvious that this was just a quick port due to the Vita's situation. A lot of the UI looks pretty bad on a big screen.

Zerojul

It's down to whether you care about it being portable or not. After watching that stream, it's (even more) obvious that this was just a quick port due to the Vita's situation. A lot of the UI looks pretty bad on a big screen.
Oh oh that's bad news... That would explain the 2D maps, too...

Bebpo

Banned

Yep. Made sense to be a Vita game.

Assets were made for 480p PS2 with SRW Z1 -> Transferred to PSP's 272p and looked great with Z2 (and why the characters were so much bigger and took up more screen real estate) -> Transferred to Vita's 544p for Z3. Basically all within the same range of the original assets from Z1 so everything looks great.

Going to PS3/Wii U/PS4 would be doing higher res assets like 2nd OGs and that would mean redoing all the assets like the jump from Alpha 1 -> Alpha 2. Or having weirdly out of proportion assets with some mechs looking like Z1 sprites and some looking like 2nd OGs sprites.

The only choices for Z2 and Z3 platforms were PSP, Wii, 3DS, Vita because they were being held back by PS2 assets and since the mainline stuff seems to not go on Nintendo platforms....yeah.

PS3 version is just a port. Duckroll thinks they had a bunch of outsourcers to trace over all the sprites in 720p resolution. Without having the game in front of me, from the trailers I think they just re-rendered the old sprites with some kind of filter. Either way, it's not going to look like 2nd OGs.

Now that Z is done next year with Z3-2, when the next mainline series starts in 3-4 years "SRW X" or something, the sprites will probably be all restarted with a 720/1080p baseline and we'll see a noticeable jump up. Though I think they still look pretty damn fantastically big and detailed at Z resolution.

isual

So vita version image wise looks better than the ps3?

too late already as well. Ami ami already confirmed that I my vita version and they don't do cancellations.

still havent asked me to pay for it yet

Bebpo

Banned
Certain things will probably look better on Vita (like the map and intermission dialogue boxes). But probably be pretty close. Just depends on if you want to play on a big screen or play in bed/on a train.

I'm hoping the cut-ins were done at 720p and look nice and sharp on PS3 and scaled down for Vita.

I'll probably end up getting both versions for Z3-1 and then pick whichever one I like better for Z3-2.

Regarding Genion,

Don't highlight if you want to keep the upgrade situation a surprise.

UPGRADE CONFIRMED. It looks pretty cool. Can't want to get it for myself.

Just two more days....

I'll be in Akihabara for launch tomorrow morning. Sitting on a train coming back from Hakone wondering if Tokyo-III would be even remotely possible in that terrain...

Bebpo

Banned
Also, ALL attacks seem to be doing very little damage at the start. Like 2400 damage each on 2 grunts with 7500hp. :\

I really hope the tag system doesn't slow the gameplay down too much. Loved how speedy Z2 was and you could pretty much one-shot most grunt fodder and move the map along.

That stream, you'd think the over cautious motherfucker was playing Dark Souls on NG+++.

At this rate, they won't have finished this game by the time Tengoku releases.

What's the shortcut for loading on reset? I think it was just hold start but I can't remember.
I've been doing it with select for 20 years and it still works. Start might work too though.

Shouta

I'll probably end up streaming the game on hotbox.TV when I get the game myself since there is no delay between the stream and chat. It makes it so had to field questions with that on twitch.

Also, ALL attacks seem to be doing very little damage at the start. Like 2400 damage each on 2 grunts with 7500hp. :\

Yes that sounds about right for any SRW with a squad system. Unless the unit you are using is insanely overpowered and has valor or its something like TRI attack and ignores all defensive bonuses, don't expect to actually kill anything with an ALL attack.

Mandoric

Banned

I really hope the tag system doesn't slow the gameplay down too much. Loved how speedy Z2 was and you could pretty much one-shot most grunt fodder and move the map along.

Talos Statues are also on the tanky end of things to begin with. Even the Gigantor trash from earlier was a lot squishier.

Top Bottom