• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony: President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are probably right, but there is something to be said with standing up to bigotry in anyway, even a violent one. Make this day a mess and let the incoming administration know that a large part of the country will not accept their rape and pillage of the American way go unchecked.
But that's the thing. You think the incoming administration is going to hear that message?

They're not. They're going to see violent anti-police anti-American rioters, regardless of whether the protests are peaceful or not. There are already proposed laws and bills that want to relabel civil disobedience as "economic terrorism" and make such acts felonies (with the side benefit of making opposing voices not able to vote), that want to massively increase fines, and such

Maxim726X

The people throwing rocks don't care about the cause. When will people learn that when you set up situations like this there will always be crazy assholes who go to an insane extreme and have almost nothing to do with the cause.

Because you can't separate them?

It doesn't matter what the intent is of the protest is- It sullies the entire point.

RocknRola

Tim Pawlenty mentioning we may see that, due to Trump, France, Portugal and Spain have a rise in populism politics.
He clearly knows nothing about politics in Portugal at least. Populism is a staple of every election.

In Portugal? Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Sure thing Tim, sure thing. Good luck with that.

rjinaz

I'm watching NBC. People need to stop throwing bricks.

The reporters said that most people here are peaceful but there certainly are a handful of people causing mayhem or something along those lines.

windz

My deepest condolences to my neighbours to the south. I feel so terrible that you're going to have to endure an unbelievable amount of bullshit and misfortune. :( I'd say good luck, but I have a sickening feeling it's going to take a lot more than that. Blah.

Mr. RHC

Every day of a Trump law and order and proto-fascism presidency will be a riot against those opressed by police and military and whatever Trump and his company of wretches are willing to throw at them.

Riots will come their way, a time for appeasement this is certainly not.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It's so pathetic to watch people try and do this mental gymnastic bullshit to act like Trump is just the next politician after the last.

Next time just say "both sides" so people know you don't have anything worth a shit to say.
Huh?
The best that we can hope for is that Trump isn't the "real deal." If he implements any of his proposed policy changes, it's going to negatively affect all of us. Anti-LGBT, anti-women's rights, doesn't believe in climate change, pro-fascism, cutting off of governmental programs in order to offset the costs of his tax cuts... the lists goes on and on.

Like, the best case scenario out of this is that Trump is a lame duck president.
Far enough, and if Trump does go after people's freedom, I will be the condemning it right along with you. Have you ever considered what Obama and the media have done to other groups like Christians though? Do you think it's a good idea to censor free speech when it doesn't agree with your opinion? There's an argument to be made about that, so what I'm saying is people shouldn't be hypocritical about it. As far as cutting government programs, at what point do we address the issue of government spending? We better address it before what happened to the Soviet Union happens to the U.S. It's a reality, so it's time to get practical about it and accept the fact that some government programs are going to have to get cut.
People being tired of a presidents policy when his term isn't even over and electing a populist is the single worst thing you could do as a voter. It reeks of stupidity.
Trump just got sworn in and hasn't even enacted any policies yet and people here are already tired of it. This makes no sense! This is exactly what I'm talking about. What has happened to Liberal GAF's rational thought. I'm utterly dumbfounded.
It's being disingenuous because it isn't an opinion to say that the climates are the same now as they were in 2008, political or otherwise. It's just wrong.
Again, how is an opinion disingenuous? I see the similarities and the connection between the two. This is why both Obama and Trump got elected. If you don't see the connection, that's fine, but I do.

ErichWK

The reporters said that most people here are peaceful but there certainly are a handful of people causing mayhem or something along those lines.

Wasn't there something about some fuck-twit trying to pay people to start riots?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Fucking crazy. Those who are doing the not so peaceful shit will be the news story. The few who do that will ruin everything for anyone.

They just launched a flash bang right in front of a lady trying to take a picture of an old guy holding a "Not My President" sign.

fuck these police

I saw that too.

Can someone please provide some context for that stream?

Its certainly not a main protest as there's only around 30 people max in front of the police line.

Ekai

But that's the thing. You think the incoming administration is going to hear that message?

They're not. They're going to see violent anti-police anti-American rioters, regardless of whether the protests are peaceful or not. There are already proposed laws and bills that want to relabel civil disobedience as "economic terrorism" and make such acts felonies (with the side benefit of making opposing voices not able to vote), that want to massively increase fines, and such

Make America Fascist Again

sasliquid

While I'd prefer a peaceful protest, violence is just a natural reaction to a country seemingly intent on treating women and minorities as an underclass

While those who invoke violence on innocents should be arrested let us not forget who is to blame (Trump and the wider Republican Party)

Trump just got sworn in and hasn't even enacted any policies yet and people here are already tired of it. This makes no sense! This is exactly what I'm talking about. What has happened to Liberal GAF's rational thought. I'm utterly dumbfounded.
We can only go their words and past actions. How is it not rational to form an opinion based what his cabinet has done and proposed in the past, their words and statements during the campaign and leading up to inauguration?

If one waits till policy is enacted, it's too late to have a voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom