• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Whoa, bit of an upset, isn't that? I thought for sure The Big Short had it on lock after the PGAs. Loved Spotlight though, well-deserved. Somebody gif Keaton's fuck yeah!

Good show overall, the only bullshit of the night was Stallone getting snubbed and Sam Smith winning for best song.

Shouldn't even be mad really. I expected Spotlight to win BP and I actually really like the movie.

I'm mad though.

To the max.

A feeling of fury, even.

Also road.

I feel the exact same.

But honestly, how mad can we be? Mad fucking Max won 6 Oscars, and Leo finally got his W.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Anyone calling Spotlight an upset were not falling odds and predictions. It was always a three way race between The Revenant, Spotlight, and The Big Short.

Well deserved for Spotlight though of the 5 nominees I had seen it was the best one imo.

A lot of people here seemed to convince themselves of weird things in this thread as it got going.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
CcW1_NWWIAASHYv.jpg:large

They are BFF's, it's adorable.

Aurongel

Pretty solid night. So we're all in agreement that Director was the only MAJOR snub, right? It was the only one that I actually felt kinda negative about.

Innaritu got his Oscar last year for a better film.

Great show! Chris Rock did a fantastic job, and I thought he handled things well.

Happy for The Spotlight, I really liked that movie and he story it told. Mad Max was my personal favorite movie, but I'm fine with it losing to Spotlight.

Mestizo

The final oscar sounds so politically correct, like when 12 years slave won.
Well now we have 3 mexican directors winners in a row, and Trump followers grow.

ThisGuy

Anyone else bothered by this exit song? I mean you didn't nominate a single black person, had the controversy, and now this song of all songs. Am I missing something? Or is this as messed up as it seems to me?

Miller deserved best director, but it was nice seeing Mad Max take home the highest number of Oscars tonight.

Also, Spotlight was a very good movie, so I'm okay with it winning Best Picture, even though I would have preferred Mad Max.

I knew with all the little awards Mad Max was winning it was going to lose BP. Still surprised Miller didn't get the director nod though.

Iñárritu won the directors awards everywhere, including the DGA. Miller winning would have been an absolute shock

Parch

Spotlight deserves it. I really liked it. Everybody needs to see it.
Revenant didn't deserve squat, but oh well.

That was one of the best Academy Awards in a long time. Very entertaining.

FTF

Pretty solid night. So we're all in agreement that Director was the only MAJOR snub, right? It was the only one that I actually felt kinda negative about.

No, it wasn't a snub at all.

People who hate mad max should have wanted it to win because now we will always talk about how mad max should have won, and it should have.

No one will remember these Oscars for the awards in a few years. Only the diversity aspect will be relevant.

Mad Max Fury Road will be a classic forever.

Miller getting rewarded would've been nice, but the movie is beloved by anyone with taste.

Another Best Picture winner nobody will remember in a year, and will be featured in articles about forgotten winners in a few years. Max will live forever on the fury road, and nobody will forget that journey. Miller got robbed. Maybe they should have made a bigger deal about how hard it was to shoot in the heat of Africa.

Let's be real if it came to the real best film it would be TFA

El Topo

Man they're really trying to make up for the "whitewashed" accusations aren't they?

I mean, I agree. But it felt like they were trying to cram it in to every spot other than the nominations to make up for their mistake.

It was definitely better than the usual shitshow. Chris Rock was great.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Another Best Picture winner nobody will remember in a year, and will be featured in articles about forgotten winners in a few years. Max will live forever on the fury road, and nobody will forget that journey. Miller got robbed. Maybe they should have made a bigger deal about how hard it was to shoot in the heat of Africa.

I'm sorry you havent seen Spotlight. Its amazing.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So, Martian and TFA both walked away with nothing.

Academy really, really hates space movies i guess. Gravity was an exception because it wasn't actually sci-fi, perhaps.

Inarritu seemed like a political cast.

Leo & Morricone definitely seemed like career awards, but they both really deserved it at this point.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yea I think that was Miller's last serious shot at Best Director.

Probably hugest robbery of the night.

I didn't think Spotlight was the best film but I can accept it like I did with King's Speech.

Honestly everyone on that list I would of accepted more then Inarritu and I liked The Revenant.

But as happens more often then not, films like Mad Max will go on to be cinematic classics we talk about in 25 years and The Revenant and Spotlight will be footnotes.

Pineapple

I still feel like we made a lot of progress tonight. Rock's message was persistent and strong, and we had a solid handful of minority winners.

• Sam Smith – Best Original Song (Writing’s on the Wall)
  • Asif Kapadia – Best Documentary Feature (Amy)
  • Emmanuel Lubezki – Best Cinematrography (The Revenant)
  • Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy – Best Documentary (A Girl in the River: The Prince of Forgiveness)
  • Laszlo Nemes – Best Foreign Language Film (Son of Saul)
  • Gabriel Osorio Vargas – Best Animated Short Film (Bear Story)
  • Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu – Best Director (The Revenant)

And Leo finally did it!

Twitter search "all lives matter" for a good chuckle.

Anyway, decent Oscars, Rock did a great job, Mad Max won the most Oscars. I am pleased.

Miller should've won Director. I was fine with Big Short or Spotlight winning best pic, knew Mad Max wasn't gonna win that one.

nib95

Banned

Nah, I think best Director was still a good pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom