• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
How many hardcore drugs is Leo gonna do tonight?

tumblr_nc4tv22DHl1syvfvao1_500.gif

Roussow

On Australian television they've been cutting to snippets of an ongoing news story about a molesting priests court trial -- All throughout the Oscars. Foreshadowing, I guess.

Boke1879

Another Best Picture winner nobody will remember in a year, and will be featured in articles about forgotten winners in a few years. Max will live forever on the fury road, and nobody will forget that journey. Miller got robbed. Maybe they should have made a bigger deal about how hard it was to shoot in the heat of Africa.

Nobody will have a half a shit about most awards. Leo finally won his first Oscar. That's going to dominate headlines.

I think it's fine, but would prefer they make actual changes.

On an unrelated note, Louis C.K. for Oscar host next year.

I think everyone would. Which is why I'm surprised so many seemed to be satisfied by the pandering.

And yeah, I think CK's minute long schtick was funnier than everyone else combined tonight but I'm kind of a fanboy.

Azzanadra

This just came to me, but how did Idris Elba NOT get nominated for his role in Beasts of no nation? Or for that matter, Michael B. Jordan for Creed? The conspiracy theorist in me says they snubbed The Wire back in the day, and the snubbing will continue forever more by proxy through the actors of that show.

Another Best Picture winner nobody will remember in a year, and will be featured in articles about forgotten winners in a few years. Max will live forever on the fury road, and nobody will forget that journey. Miller got robbed. Maybe they should have made a bigger deal about how hard it was to shoot in the heat of Africa.

Nope. Spotlight has earned a spot in "Best investigative journalism / exposed scandal" movie recommendations for decades to come. It's a good movie that does what it does with a lot of restraint.

Velcro Fly

I normally do not like Chris Rock. A lot of times I don't find him funny.

But they picked a perfect host even before the controversy. He was amazing tonight. He hit all the right buttons and it was splendid.

Best Oscars in years in my opinion.

Blader

Anyone calling Spotlight an upset were not following odds and predictions. It was always a three way race between The Revenant, Spotlight, and The Big Short.

Well deserved for Spotlight though of the 5 nominees I had seen it was the best one imo.

The Big Short was the frontrunner after PGAs, so Spotlight winning is something of an upset, even if it was like second in the running.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So, Martian and TFA both walked away with nothing.

Academy really, really hates space movies i guess. Gravity was an exception because it wasn't actually sci-fi, perhaps.

Inarritu seemed like a political cast.

Leo & Morricone definitely seemed like career awards, but they both really deserved it at this point.

If Gravity wasnt sci fi, TFA sure as fuck wasnt. Also The Martian and TFA were underdogs in every catergory they got nommed for.

Tankard

Pretty pleased for how it went except for the the dude that appeared 5 minutes on Bridge of Spie winning over Sly, that was pure caca.

Mad Max with 6 Oscars and Spotlight winning best film is just amazing, Spotlight is very underrated, that film had no business beeing so amazing.

Edit: And freaking Leooo, finally!

So the same director won two times in a row? Nice. I didn't recognize his name, but that just shows how far out of the loop I am with film. I used to follow it closely, but haven't in years, and still need to see The Revenant. (And Birdman)

I had to look up Spotlight, too. I'd heard of it, but didn't know or recognize the name. Will have to see it, I guess.

Thankfully Mad Max didn't win. I wish Creed or Room had, though, if I'm being honest.

Also, good for Leo.

The Big Short was the frontrunner after PGAs, so Spotlight winning is something of an upset, even if it was like second in the running.

Spotlight took the SAG award, and it is the largest voting body of the Academy. It was nice to have a three way race this year either way.

I think everyone would. Which is why I'm surprised so many seemed to be satisfied by the pandering.

And yeah, I think CK's minute long schtick was funnier than everyone else combined tonight but I'm kind of a fanboy.

I'd say less "satisfied" and more "amused."

We know nothing will actually change so people put the faux outrage back on the shelf

Jthn

Neo Member
Pretty solid night. So we're all in agreement that Director was the only MAJOR snub, right? It was the only one that I actually felt kinda negative about.

Best original song. That was my only wtf of the night. Still trying to figure out how that happened.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure half the people saying upset or acting upset were convinced that Mad Max would win and that always was a pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom