• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna highlight what I got wrong (I didn't do predictions for all categories):

Best Picture
"Spotlight"

Best Director
Alejandro González Iñárritu, "The Revenant"

Best Actor
Michael Fassbender, "Steve Jobs"

Best Actress
Brie Larson, "Room"

Best Supporting Actor
Sylvester Stallone, "Creed"

Best Supporting Actress
Alicia Vikander, "The Danish Girl"

Best Original Screenplay
"Bridge of Spies"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Big Short"

Best Foreign Film
"Son of Saul"

Best Documentary Feature
"Amy"

Best Animated Feature
"Inside Out"

Best Film Editing
"Mad Max: Fury Road"

Best Original Score
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

Best Visual Effects
"Mad Max: Fury Road" – Andrew Jackson, Dan Oliver, Andy Williams, and Tom Wood

Best Cinematography
"The Revenant"

Best Costume Design
"Cinderella"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Best Production Design

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

Best Short Film, Animated
"World of Tomorrow"

Kindekuma

Banned
aF3UHFL.gif

THE DIVINE BLESSING HAS CHANGED HANDS

TheXbox

This just came to me, but how did Idris Elba NOT get nominated for his role in Beasts of no nation? Or for that matter, Michael B. Jordan for Creed? The conspiracy theorist in me says they snubbed The Wire back in the day, and the snubbing will continue forever more by proxy through the actors of that show.
Elba's accent was kinda wack. Attah outperformed him, and he deserved some recognition.

Nope. Spotlight has earned a spot in "Best investigative journalism / exposed scandal" movie recommendations for decades to come. It's a good movie that does what it does with a lot of restraint.

Yeah it's not as good as all the presidents men but it is in the same vein and a good movie no doubt

I'm cool with it. Even if fury road is one of the movies of the decade for me

Now the real travesty is that fucking fraudaritu has more academy awards than scorsese and coppola. Lubezki deserved the award, he did not

Blader

Spotlight took the SAG award, and it is the largest voting body of the Academy. It was nice to have a three way race this year either way.

Which is why I said it was second in the running :p

PGA is usually a better predictor than SAG for best pic winners. I think this is the first time in like 10 years where the PGA winner did not also win at the Oscars

KAP151

This just came to me, but how did Idris Elba NOT get nominated for his role in Beasts of no nation? Or for that matter, Michael B. Jordan for Creed? The conspiracy theorist in me says they snubbed The Wire back in the day, and the snubbing will continue forever more by proxy through the actors of that show.

Creed was a great movie, but Jordan wasnt outstanding in any sense of the word.

Sad fury road didn't win for film and Miller or director. But overall the film brought home 5 awards and was very well deserving of it. felt this was a lot better awards show than the Grammys. Still no matter what fury road was my favorite film or the year and maybe one of my favorites of all time. It will ride to the gates of Valhalla, shiney and chrome.

Edit: yeah beast of no nation got nothing and that was the most upsetting thing out of everything. Also just got noted fury road got 6 (thank you) so all and all a goodnight.

Ithil

Sad fury road didn't win for film and Miller or director. But overall the film brought home 5 awards and was very well deserving of it. felt this was a lot better awards show than the Grammys. Still no matter what fury road was my favorite film or the year and maybe one of my favorites of all time. It will ride to the gates of Valhalla, shines and chrome.

Six.

Which is why I said it was second in the running :p

PGA is usually a better predictor than SAG for best pic winners. I think this is the first time in like 10 years where the PGA winner did not also win at the Oscars

Sorry, my bad if I misread your original post.
And yes, this is the first time in 10 or 12 years since the PGA winner was not also the Oscar winner.
And again, it was nice to have the Best Picture winner be a toss up. Kept a bit of suspense at the end.

I think the only upset was Best Supporting Actor.

hamchan

As an Australian though I'll say I'm really proud that an Australian film has received the most awards at this Oscars. This is the most successful Australian film ever. Well done to George Miller and the whole production team.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get Iñaritu and The Revenenant hate. I like that film better than Mad Max. Didn't saw the others. Well, i saw the Martian, it was ok.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So forgot this was even on since I was binge watching Young Justice. I caught the opening monologue online and tuned in just in time to see Leo win and best picture. Sounds like I should have tuned in for the whole event.

Because Beasts of No Nation was a Netflix movie and the movie industry sort of hates Netflix. They released it the same day it came out in theaters, and really it was only a token theater presentation - it showed up in 31 theaters on release day, was gone by the following week, and made only 50k (not a typo, $50,000) in theater sales.

If every movie started releasing simultaneously on Netflix as the theater, theater sales would shrivel up even more and Hollywood would make a lot less money. So there is pretty much zero chance of them throwing any sort of spotlight on any Netflix movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom