• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
I was indeed very upset about it...

Honestly I watched Bridge of Spies the other night not really knowing who Mark Rylance was and kept thinking this person everyone was praising was gonna show up soon. Then around the 60% mark I realized it was just the Russian spy who shows up on screen occasionally.

Don't get me wrong it was a good performance, and I do respect understated, more delicate performances, still, it seemed more like a great minor role performance then a supporting performance. If that makes sense.

Clydefrog

Don't forget The Artist the year before. Like, anyone else even talks about it? Anyone even remembers that actor's name?

yoImJ2Q.gif

oh my god, I think I had that mentally blocked

Monocle

Just saying it quite similarly a very deliberate choice to be grounded and be subtle in those areas. It feels real, makes note taking and fact checking interesting, to the extent that make dramatic moments stand out.
I see your point.

they both hardly mean something. the point was about moronic posts like the one he quoted, where apparently GAF is the new Mad Max obsessive fansite.
Nobody outside of GAF even likes Mad Max, haven't you heard??? All those Oscars it just picked up? Total fluke.

Salsa

I want Louis CK for next year.

how is this tossed around this muchos

its a terrible stage for him and precisely the kind of thing he'd rightfully never do

you get a good snippet and you people wanna run it to the ground. the concesions made would be awful

Azzanadra

Because Beasts of No Nation was a Netflix movie and the movie industry sort of hates Netflix. They released it the same day it came out in theaters, and really it was only a token theater presentation - it showed up in 31 theaters on release day, was gone by the following week, and made only 50k (not a typo, $50,000) in theater sales.

If every movie started releasing simultaneously on Netflix as the theater, theater sales would shrivel up even more and Hollywood would make a lot less money. So there is pretty much zero chance of them throwing any sort of spotlight on any Netflix movie.

That's a shame. It may just be my favorite movie of the year... the only other that would compare for me is Mad Max, which is kind of funny because I usually prefer the slower, character-driven dramas but Mad Max was like a art house movie disguised as a big budget action blockbuster.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I saw it, didnt think it was horrible, thought it was quite good actually, but it most definitely didnt have the muster to claim the best picture of the year award. Felt like a procedural to the end and didnt do anything that interesting. If anything this tells me Oscar voters hate religion or something, which would make sense i guess. Still though only 2 Oscars for the BP winner? Shits crazy.

2 of the 3 that matter. Since there is no best ensemble at the oscars, which it would have easily won.

Jarmel

Banned
how is this tossed around this muchos

its a terrible stage for him and precisely the kind of thing he'd rightfully never do

you get a good snippet and you people wanna run it to the ground. the concesions made would be awful

Comedians should be hosting this. Make everybody as uncomfortable as possible.

The team that did the visual effects for the black actor skit did an amazing job. Specifically, replacing the bear from The Revenant with Leslie Jones. I wonder how long that took to do.

Didn't see Spotlight but my boy Michael Keaton in two Best Picture winners back to back! (Though Whiplash was my favorite 2014 movie)

So happy for Brie Larson too

jett

D-Member
All in all Chris Rock made this show the most entertaining the Oscars have been in ages. #OscarSoWhite was actually a boon for the show lol.

Madness

Someone give me the synopsis of Leo's acceptance speech.

Thanked his director, costars. Talked about his start and people who helped him along the way and his family and friends. Then delved into talk about climate change and how last year was warmest on record, affects indigenous and people without voice most, fight back against greed of corporations etc.

Salsa

Comedians should be hosting this. Make everybody as uncomfortable as possible.

chris rock and ellen DeGeneres are a far cry from Louie CK

it just wouldnt work for anyone. id feel bad and cringey as fuck If he did it. dude is in total control of his career and material

Finalow

Leo probably had that speech ready since 10 years ago or so.

also skipping the next oscars since he won, all the fun is gone.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's funny I went into this Oscars hoping Chris Rock would destroy hollywood for being racist, but after the monologue i had had enough. I HATED the rest of the show because every fucking bit by Chris rock was about black people. Well, what about other people of color who WERE nominated and won? Two pakistanis, two mexicans and a few others in the technical categories.

i dont know. i hate how the made the whole show about this controversy. its too fucking on the nose and came off as pandering especially towards the end.

I care about this because next year when some black actor does win an award or gets nominated, people will look back and say he won because of all the crap Chris Rock gave hollywood that night. it devalues the oscars.

anyway, im glad mad max won and revenant didnt. George Miller shouldve hired a decent writer to give Max some lines and maybe do some character development here in there. the movie should've had the oscar if it werent for those two aspects.

JTripper

lol he's got nothing coming out this year. And maybe not next year either?

In all seriousness I heard in an interview that he's taking a hiatus from filmmaking after The Revenant. That only means Gaf will be eagerly awaiting his return!

nib95

Banned
Don't forget The Artist the year before. Like, anyone else even talks about it? Anyone even remembers that actor's name?

Huh? 12 Years a Slave won the year before, and that was excellent. The Artist won in 2012, but mostly because it wasn't a very strong year for movies.

CcW3X8KVIAAjUjq.jpg:large

Wanted Miller to win, but I'm still happy with the showing. A Mad Max movie got six Oscars. Crazy.
Same here. He put his heart into that beautifully directed film but I'm still happy it won what it did. Miller also seemed SUPER happy, too, so that helps.

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom