• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, pros and cons:

+Chris Rock overall, by far the best Oscar host in ages
+Fury Road with the biggest haul at 6, fulfilling one of my two demands with Magaret Sixel for Best Editing
+Brie Larson, who is great in everything, won for a great performance
+Mark Rylance, who you don't know but he's also great in everything, won for a great performance
+Leonardo DiCaprio won, so we can finally shut the fuck up about the most tired meme in Oscar history.
+Ennio Morricone won an Oscar
+Spotlight is a good movie, and better than the Big Short/The Revenant who threaten to win. So, cool.
+Ex Machina won best visual effects!? Maybe the most shocking, inspired choice in years.
+Son of Saul won in a strong line-up

+/-Alicia Vikander won for the wrong movie this year. But still, she won!

-Stallone lost to a great performance but still...that sucked
-Sam Smith won...how. why. And that performance...
-George Miller lost Best Director. Not unexpected, still unforgivable
-Amy beat one of the greatest/important films of the year in the Look of Silence
-World of Tomorrow lost

+/-/!? whatever the hell that Stacey Dash and Lady Gaga thing was about

so more good than bad. I'm content.

Salsa

michael b jordan nomination for Creed? lmao

I loved the movie but he was just there, beyond the physical challenge of the role

as far as a performance by a black actor last year goes I woulda went with the kid from Beasts of No Nation. he was incredible.

Kraftwerk

CcW1WRTW8AEMtxh.jpg

Nooooooo

holy shit

;lolol

TheMan

damn, martian won nothing despite 7 noms. Is damon gonna cry on his mattress made of 100 dollars bills while surrounded by gorgeous naked women?

I actually enjoyed Spotlight but what's interesting is I think Doubt was a better movie that had a better portrayal of the problem and that wasn't even nominated for Beat Picture in 2009.

Brakke

Banned
Pretty good show. I thought Rock's opening monologue was kind of weak. That whole "it makes sense to ask women about their dresses!" bit was lame. The fire he spat just wasn't as coherent as I'd wanted. Some good material tho.

Can't believe Sly got robbed tho. He's definitely in Creed 2 now lol gotta chase that gold.

Everyone should check out World of Tomorrow, the other big robbery tonight.

Finalow

The percentage doesn't mean as much much as the rating itself. In that sense, Spotlight scores higher (8.9 vs 8.7). Likewise for Metacritic with 93% for Spotlight vs 90% for Fury Road.
they both hardly mean something. the point was about moronic posts like the one he quoted, where apparently GAF is the new Mad Max obsessive fansite.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that half the people here saying Spotlight is horrible didn't see the movie.

I saw it, didnt think it was horrible, thought it was quite good actually, but it most definitely didnt have the muster to claim the best picture of the year award. Felt like a procedural to the end and didnt do anything that interesting. If anything this tells me Oscar voters hate religion or something, which would make sense i guess. Still though only 2 Oscars for the BP winner? Shits crazy.

Josh5890

Overall I thought it was a decent telecast. I think Chris Rock could've done a few more segments that didn't deal with diversity. Yes it is a big deal but after a while you are bound to turn people off, and some of those jokes went a bit too far.

As for Lady Gaga's performance. It was the best moment of the night. It was very moving. I did find it ironic though that everyone stood. I'll bet my paycheck that there are plenty of people sitting in those seats tonight that are guilty of some form of sexual abuse/rape crime.

And with the awards, I'm glad Mad max received its due. It was the best technical achievement of the year. I'm fine with Spotlight winning even though I hoped for The Big Short. All acting winners were deserved.

So, pros and cons:

+Fury Road with the biggest haul at 6, fulfilling one of my two demands with Magaret Sixel for Best Editing
+Mark Rylance, who you don't know but he's also great in everything, won for a great performance
+Leonardo DiCaprio won, so we can finally shut the fuck up about the most tired meme in Oscar history.
+Spotlight is a good movie, and better than the Big Short/The Revenant who threaten to win. So, cool.
+Ex Machina won best visual effects!? Maybe the most shocking, inspired choice in years.

-Amy beat one of the greatest/important films of the year in the Look of Silence
-World of Tomorrow lost

Agree with you on both counts Ex Machina related. Shocked it won best visual effects. Its incredible what they did on a small budget.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm surprised people weren't predicting Spotlight.

The Academy loves important true stories, followed by movies about themselves.

Birdman last year, Spotlight this year.

The criterion continues.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yay!!!!!!! DiCaprio won!!! He was so good in The Revenant and I heard that he actually did all that gross stuff. He really worked hard for this and you could tell. I'm glad that his talents have finally been recognised by the sheeple. One of the best actors in the industry.

The Revenant was also an incredible film. Happy that it won for cinematography but I wish it had won best picture too. Amazing movie.

Timbuktu

To be fair, the Wire's tone makes it less exciting than more heightened shows and films, in some ways. Definitely not as gripping as Breaking Bad for me.

Just saying it quite similarly a very deliberate choice to be grounded and be subtle in those areas. It feels real, makes note taking and fact checking interesting, to the extent that make dramatic moments stand out.

I'm surprised people weren't predicting Spotlight.

The Academy loves important true stories, followed by movies about themselves.

Birdman last year, Spotlight this year.

The criterion continues.
Don't forget The Artist the year before. Like, anyone else even talks about it? Anyone even remembers that actor's name?

So, pros and cons:

-World of Tomorrow lost

I'm just going to quote this because I agree with literally everything you said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom