• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

Are we even sure audiences can comprehend just how deep it is? It's already got Oscar-winning screenwriters.
In a way, no nominations or awards would be an even greater confirmation of its brilliance than ALL the nominations and awards!

I can't wait to see Doomsday's acceptance speech for best supporting actor. Not a dry eye in the house, I bet.
Complimentary X-Men themed tissues provided to each audience member.

LeonSPBR

CcW3X8KVIAAjUjq.jpg:large

Wanted Miller to win, but I'm still happy with the showing. A Mad Max movie got six Oscars. Crazy.

Beautiful but Mad Max got robbed the Best Picture Oscar.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's funny I went into this Oscars hoping Chris Rock would destroy hollywood for being racist, but after the monologue i had had enough. I HATED the rest of the show because every fucking bit by Chris rock was about black people. Well, what about other people of color who WERE nominated and won? Two pakistanis, two mexicans and a few others in the technical categories.

i dont know. i hate how the made the whole show about this controversy. its too fucking on the nose and came off as pandering especially towards the end.

I care about this because next year when some black actor does win an award or gets nominated, people will look back and say he won because of all the crap Chris Rock gave hollywood that night. it devalues the oscars.

anyway, im glad mad max won and revenant didnt. George Miller shouldve hired a decent writer to give Max some lines and maybe do some character development here in there. the movie should've had the oscar if it werent for those two aspects.

You didnt understand Mad Max and what it did at all. Thats a horrible suggestion, even jokingly.

Also sheesh at the Chris Rock stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
In all seriousness I heard in an interview that he's taking a hiatus from filmmaking after The Revenant. That only means Gaf will be eagerly awaiting his return!

Kind of a shame. I would have liked to see him try and win three years in a row. Would have been insane.

He's in pretty elite company right now as being only the 2nd director in Oscar history to win back to back.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Martian was fun but i didn't think it was Oscar-worthy except maybe for the Mars CGI

Eh, it was good comedy, but completely lacked the tension of the book.
Could've gotten a nod, but 7 noms were already much - Academy doesn't like comedy, nor space.

Thanked his director, costars. Talked about his start and people who helped him along the way and his family and friends. Then delved into talk about climate change and how last year was warmest on record, affects indigenous and people without voice most, fight back against greed of corporations etc.

Talked about the environment. Global warming is real. Wants world leaders to take charge. Overall pretty damn humble about his award and genuine about climate change.

ENVIRONMENT

Thanks for the summary. I really want to discuss that climate change bit, but I think this isn't the thread for that, so I'll go make a new thread when I get some time soon. Happy Leo finally pulled in an Oscar though!

yuraya

lol Spotlight isn't even a top 10 movie of the year.

The Revenant and Mad Max are both infinitely better in every way imaginable.

Mr. Tibbs

A huge shame that George Miller didn't win. Then again, the Oscars tend to give awards to forgettable studio directors like little Ronnie Howard, and only honoring maverick filmmakers in unrelated categories, like special effects (Kubrick), editing (Ashby), best original screenplay (Welles) or honorary (Hitchcock) fob-offs.

Fury Road will have a longer shelf life than Spotlight and The Revenant.

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't think anyone made The Martian for the awards, they got their audience and the boxoffice that they want.

The Martian's success for me is proving to Hollywood that non-fantastical, realistic, adult Sci Fi without ramped up draconian characteristics can be successful.

I want more uplifting Sci Fi like The Martian or Contact.

This just came to me, but how did Idris Elba NOT get nominated for his role in Beasts of no nation? Or for that matter, Michael B. Jordan for Creed? The conspiracy theorist in me says they snubbed The Wire back in the day, and the snubbing will continue forever more by proxy through the actors of that show.

It's about as dull as The Wire, I'd say. Still can't believe Scott Templeton directed a Oscar winning film about a newsroom.

There's something ironic and hilarious about a director (who once played a reporter who wrote fake news stories and got lauded for it despite everyone else's concerns) winning best picture for a story about a newsroom, and then subsequently getting bitched out about it by everyone else.

Supporting actor was def the biggest surprise of the night for sure. Second was best song.
Personally, I can't quite get over Ex Machina winning best VFX. You have to go back to 1970 to find a film beat BP noms in that category.

I kind of hate this argument, but it really does feel like Revenant and Mad Max (and possibly Star Wars) split votes, allowing Ex Machina, a film which probably didn't have much overlap with its voters, to sneak in.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A huge shame that George Miller didn't win. Then again, the Oscars tend to give awards to forgettable studio directors like little Ronnie Howard, and only honoring maverick filmmakers in unrelated categories, like special effects (Kubrick), editing (Ashby), best original screenplay (Welles) or honorary (Hitchcock) fob-offs.

Fury Road will have a longer shelf life than Spotlight and The Revenant.

Hey Welles totally deserved the screenplay award. And a bunch of other ones, but they didnt get that wrong.

Monocle

The Martian's success for me is proving to Hollywood that non-fantastical, realistic, adult Sci Fi without ramped up draconian characteristics can be successful.

I want more uplifting Sci Fi like The Martian or Contact.
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised that The Martian didn't go unnecessarily dark. Very enjoyable film.

Josh5890

It's funny I went into this Oscars hoping Chris Rock would destroy hollywood for being racist, but after the monologue i had had enough. I HATED the rest of the show because every fucking bit by Chris rock was about black people. Well, what about other people of color who WERE nominated and won? Two pakistanis, two mexicans and a few others in the technical categories.

i dont know. i hate how the made the whole show about this controversy. its too fucking on the nose and came off as pandering especially towards the end.

I care about this because next year when some black actor does win an award or gets nominated, people will look back and say he won because of all the crap Chris Rock gave hollywood that night. it devalues the oscars.

anyway, im glad mad max won and revenant didnt. George Miller shouldve hired a decent writer to give Max some lines and maybe do some character development here in there. the movie should've had the oscar if it werent for those two aspects.

You and I are on the same page. With the exception of the girl scout cookie skit, which I loved because I support the girl scout cookie drive almost too well every year, Chris didn't do anything else. I thought the man on the street video he did was insulting and unnecessary.

nib95

Banned
I haven't watched The Revenant. How is Leonardo in that movie?

I thought he was incredible in it, and really enjoyed the movie. It's simply beautiful, and had some really striking scenes and shots. It's simple in plot though, and a few ideas overstay their welcome, but otherwise it's entraining and gripping if you have the patience for it. The acting from the entire cast is also fantastic.

Revolver

I actually enjoyed Spotlight but what's interesting is I think Doubt was a better movie that had a better portrayal of the problem and that wasn't even nominated for Beat Picture in 2009.

This so much. Doubt was a really good film. Spotlight was okay but that was about it. It felt like a movie of the week to me. It wasn't terrible or anything just really by-the-numbers and safe. Overall I enjoyed this year's Oscars. Happy for Leo and Brie. My only disappointments were Supporting Actor and Director. Not too shabby though. I thought Rock did well and loved Louis CK's bit.

JTripper

My biggest disappointment of the show was Sly not winning. I really would have loved to see him win since I absolutely love Creed and the Rocky series in general.

I thought the show was actually really enjoyable and Chris Rock did a fine job. Usually the hosts (in the past few years) come off as flat or just poor but Rock handled the controversy pretty well considering how bad of a train wreck it could have potentially been. I genuinely laughed at jokes and the promo parody videos were great.

It's definitely unfortunate regarding the protests and lack of nominee diversity but I thought what the Academy cobbled together for the show was pretty well done. Lot's of diversity presented on stage, nominee or not imo. Great speeches tonight too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom