• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tibbs

Well with Kane it wasnt so much the Academy playing it safe as Hearst blackballing the film in every way possible. But I understand.

True. I probably should have avoided using Kane as an example, because of all the external pressure from Hearst. There's so many great films and directors who were overlooked in favor of some underwhelming Oscar-bait.

I can just see myself getting my hopes up for the inevitable Denis Villeneuve nomination in the future. The academy will let me down.

Heel

"Fight the power." - The Acadamy

mwnYqlxl.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
True, forgot about Ex Machina winning sfx. I just feel that was a case of "let's give it to the little guy who did more with less, anyone can make a movie look good with $150+m, etc."

I think it was a case of Ex Machina getting overlooked in everything else plus one really amazing, obvious effect used well that Academy voters could understand.

Finalow

Nobody cares but a 87 yo italien giant won his first Oscar tonight.
about fucking time, I'd add. *[forgot to mention, he did win an Academy Honorary Award in 2007, at least]

edit* nvm, Clint Eastwood wasn't there. tired / hallucinating at 5am

I guess it's time to rewatch the Man with No Name / Dollars Trilogy anyway.

woen

Deakins will win eventually. Just needs to find an off year for Lubezki.

Knight of Cups (Malick) is not yet released in the US so wide lenses and natural light might win next year too — and at least get a nomination.

Idk if Weightless (another Malick with Chivo) is set to release this year too.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean, when you didnt win for shit like Cinema Paridiso and The Mission shits fucked so i guess its a nice loophole QT came along and gave the guy the Oscar. Still stupid as fuck.

You and I are on the same page. With the exception of the girl scout cookie skit, which I loved because I support the girl scout cookie drive almost too well every year, Chris didn't do anything else. I thought the man on the street video he did was insulting and unnecessary.

You missed the point of the skit. Chris Rock was pointing out the irony/hypocrisy of these people saying black people need to be nominated without seeing any of the movies.

He was poking fun at the controversy all night while pointing out what should be done.

I thought it was quite brilliant

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
So glad my fellow mexicans won and leo as well. All's well in the world except dat GAF salt lol

janoDX

Best Oscars in YEARS.

+Chris Rock
+Total black jokes
+DiCaprio won
+More emotions
+Louis CK
+Morricone won
+Mad Max won the war (6 Oscars)
+Church was BTFO with Spotlight winning

-Sam Smith's song won when Gaga deserved it more

Ithil

No it as not. MM got what it deserves on the technical point. As for best director and picture, neither Miller or MM were as good as the other nominees.

Can you really say that for Miller? His direction of that project over a number of years was more than worthy of being recognised.

Loxley

No that I expected anything less from Rock, but I'm glad the theme of diversity (or current lack thereof) was repeatedly brought up throughout the ceremony and not just a couple of jokes about #OscarsSoWhite in the opening monologue.

My boy Inarritu is the best Mexican director in the business

Of the "3 amigos", I'd easily put Cuaron first. None of the other two have come close to his range. I'd put Del Toro second because of his eagerness to follow his imagination wherever. Last is Inarritu. Still a pretty good director, but his catalog of films for whatever reason hasn't really resonated with me.

FTF

Of the "3 amigos", I'd easily put Cuaron first. None of the other two have come close to his range. I'd put Del Toro second because of his eagerness to follow his imagination wherever. Last is Inarritu. Still a pretty good director, but his catalog of films for whatever reason hasn't really resonated with me.

Del Toro over Inarritu? Come on now. Have you seen Crimson Peak?

God of Egypt about to sweep next year.
This is whats important. Latino directors are coming up. It's why I can't hate on Inarritu.

Can you really say that for Miller? His direction of that project over a number of years was more than worthy of being recognised.
It is about the best picture and director of this year. Miller and MM were not it. This is not a lifetime achievement award. Also I wanted to say not as good as the other nominees. I forgot the not.

Ithil

It is about the best picture and director of this year. Miller and MM were not it. This is not a lifetime achievement award. Also I wanted to say not as good as the other nominees. I forgot the not.

Exactly where in my post did you manage to read "lifetime achievement award"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom