• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmozone

Pretty bummed that Miller didn't get best director, with everyone else thanking him. It happened before, I guess. I'm kinda OK with Ex Machine stealing that FX Oscar, but I got the feeling that the category was interpreted as better CGI and the most outstanding technical feature of Mad Max, the practical stuntwork, went under the bus.

In the end, I only hoped for more, but didn't really expect it. Still sad. At least Mad Max won two more Oscars than T2.

fleck0

All I cared about was Emmanuel Lubezki winning cinematography 3 years straight. Leo was good and all but Revenant's true achievement was the photography.

woen

Nobody cares but a 87 yo italien giant won his first Oscar tonight. That main theme was so good.

The sale with Innaritu is all over the place, please someone do something with the haters.

SlickVic

This is the first Oscars in a good while I had the time to watch the whole way through. Glad I did as it certainly was fun, from the initial intro of movie mash ups (hopefully that has found its way to Youtube by now as it certainly got me hyped for the awards) to ending on "Fight the Power". I have no idea how divisive opinions will be on Chris Rock's performance as the host, but personally felt he did a great job entertaining while addressing the controversy.

As someone who just doesn't spend much time following film, I love the Oscars as a way to discover movies that I just hadn't taken the time to find out about before. From the documentaries to even some of the bigger award nominations. I'm probably revealing my ignorance by admitting that I had not really heard about Room or Spotlight until a few days ago. But it gives a lot of food for thought to watch over the next few months for me, and that's certainly exciting.

Other stray thoughts. Louis CK hands down the best presenter of the night for me. And even if one were to take offense at him poking fun at the folks behind short documentary, I don't think there was anything mean spirited there. Moreover I'm guessing he probably helped to draw more attention to that category than it typically has gotten in years past, which is awesome.
Also was nice to see Daisy Ridley presenting as well with a short break from Episode VIII filming I'm guessing.

Pretty bummed that Miller didn't get best director, with everyone else thanking him. It happened before, I guess. I'm kinda OK with Ex Machine stealing that FX Oscar, but I got the feeling that the category was interpreted as better CGI and the most outstanding technical feature of Mad Max, the practical stuntwork, went under the bus.

In the end, I only hoped for more, but didn't really expect it. Still sad. At least Mad Max won two more Oscars than T2.

The fact that most of the visual effects work in Mad Max was invisible should speak volumes to how good of a job they did on it. But, it is probably also what hurt its chances of winning the Visual Effects Oscar in the end.

Ex Machina still had top notch work, and especially impressive considering the film had a budget of only $15m.

Mestizo

PNVfUun.png

OMG Hahaha

lmao

R-User!

Well, Congrats to all the winners....

..right now, I'm "fanging it" watching Warboys eat'n dirt!

So glad the Editor won!!! She put sooooo much time into Fury Road that I would have been legitimately bummed had she not won.

Witness!!!!!

Nobody cares but a 87 yo italien giant won his first Oscar tonight. That main theme was so good.

The sale with Innaritu is all over the place, please someone do something with the haters.

I'm so happy he finally got one. At the same time, the score doesn't quite compare to his bests.

The Beard

All I cared about was Emmanuel Lubezki winning cinematography 3 years straight. Leo was good and all but Revenant's true achievement was the photography.

Agreed. It was beautifully shot. Lubezki is awesome.

The Revenant should've won BP. So many haters in here.

UberTag

You are not wrong. Lubezki was the standout contributor to that movie. He's in a league of his own.

Mr. Tibbs

Hey Welles totally deserved the screenplay award. And a bunch of other ones, but they didnt get that wrong.

Of course he did, and Kubrick and Ashby deserved their respective awards, too. I was just commenting that the Academy Awards like to play it safe, which is frustrating because every once in a while someone incredibly talented and deserving of recognition manages to come up for contention, and the voters just refuse to take a risk.

It's like when Robert Redford beat out Richard Rush, David Lynch, and Martin Scorsese in 1980 for Ordinary People, or Kramer versus Kramer even being up for contention in 1979.

FTF

Personally, I can't quite get over Ex Machina winning best VFX. You have to go back to 1970 to find a film beat BP noms in that category.

I kind of hate this argument, but it really does feel like Revenant and Mad Max (and possibly Star Wars) split votes, allowing Ex Machina, a film which probably didn't have much overlap with its voters, to sneak in.

True, forgot about Ex Machina winning sfx. I just feel that was a case of "let's give it to the little guy who did more with less, anyone can make a movie look good with $150+m, etc."

Jonm1010

Banned
But the actual best film was Whiplash.
And GBH is total oscar bait, even though its excellent.

I could accept arguments for either film. They were both excellent.

Also I wouldn't really call GBH oscar bait. At all really. Oscar bait to me is targeted prestige pictures. There were a TON of actual Oscar bait movies last year though. Most kinda fell pretty hard though: Theory of Everything, Foxcatcher, Imitation Game, St. Vincent.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Of course he did, and Kubrick and Ashby deserved their respective awards, too. I was just commenting that the Academy Awards like to play it safe, which is frustrating because every once in a while someone incredibly talented and deserving of recognition manages to come up for contention, and the voters just refuse to take a risk.

It's like when Robert Redford beat out Richard Rush, David Lynch, and Martin Scorsese in 1980 for Ordinary People, or Kramer versus Kramer even being up for contention in 1979.

Well with Kane it wasnt so much the Academy playing it safe as Hearst blackballing the film in every way possible. But I understand.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Yeah, that oscar was half a century overdue.
Now let's get Sergio Leone that posthumous career award...

Kazaam

Third undeserved Oscar. But I guess that's how the academy awards work now: do great works, win awards for your not so good ones later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom