• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Had to go find it on youtube to watch Leo accept his gold person and that was pretty decent. Classy dude who had plenty to say but you could still hear it was a moment for him in his voice.

But my boy straight DIPPED off stage at the end lol ...

Monocle

No it was not. MM got what it deserves on the technical point. As for best director and picture, neither Miller or MM were not as good as the other nominees.
Miller's consistent vision and commitment puts him above the others, no question. He championed the project for years and delivered big time when the pieces finally fell into place. It's due largely to George Miller that Fury Road is more than just a decently competent action movie.

harSon

Banned
Of the "3 amigos", I'd easily put Cuaron first. None of the other two have come close to his range. I'd put Del Toro second because of his eagerness to follow his imagination wherever. Last is Inarritu. Still a pretty good director, but his catalog of films for whatever reason hasn't really resonated with me.

People like to say that Inarritu is undeserving, but Gravity is easily one of the most pedestrian films to get disgustingly high praise in a long time.

ExVicis

Had to go find it on youtube to watch Leo accept his gold person and that was pretty decent. Classy dude who had plenty to say but you could still hear it was a moment for him in his voice.

But my boy straight DIPPED off stage at the end lol ...
You think so? To me it looked like he was over it. Like he just didn't care anymore. What I thought I saw in Leo's acceptance was "I got it and I'm so above this now, who even cares?".

I would have really expected if he wanted it...that he at least show it somewhere. Maybe a tear or some shaking. But nope, he was cooler than a cucumber.

I think they took too long to give Leo his recognition and he doesn't care anymore.

Monocle

You're right about PAN'S LABYRINTH and wrong about CRIMSON PEAK.
Crimson Peak is seriously dragged down by its second half, and a certain dominant subplot that detracts from the interesting setting. Lots of unfulfilled potential with regard to early plot points as well.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
You think so? To me it looked like he was over it. Like he just didn't care anymore. What I thought I saw in Leo's acceptance was "I got it and I'm so above this now, who even cares?".

I would have really expected if he wanted it...that he at least show it somewhere. Maybe a tear or some shaking. But nope, he was cooler than a cucumber.

I think they took too long to give Leo his recognition and he doesn't care anymore.

To me it came across like he was getting through what he planned to say and playing it solid cool to stay on message before he went backstage and got to accepting his "congrats" from people.
I mean he wasn't weeping for sure but like i said.. he's a classy dude. Old school cool.

Either way it sounds like Tom Hardy is a cool dude and i want to hang out with him.

B33

Banned
Crimson Peak is seriously dragged down by its second half, and a certain dominant subplot that detracts from the interesting setting.
I don't think it dragged and I don't mind the subplot. CRIMSON PEAK channeled the feel of the old Hammer films in a good way. It's meant to be a gothic romance with ghosts, not a by the numbers horror movie, even though it has some of the tenets of the genre.

CRIMSON PEAK has more character and depth than THE REVENANT. No amount of budget and technical wizardry can compensate for a lack of story and overindulgent direction.

B33

Banned
Don't really see the problem with Inarritu winning. At least he's not David O Russell.
He didn't deserve it in the company of the other nominated directors. Abrams, the presenter of the award, deserved it more than Iñárritu.

But you're right, at least Russell wasn't nominated and awarded for JOY.

Hey leave Pacific Rim out of this.
I derived more entertainment from PACIFIC RIM than I did from THE REVENANT. The former isn't pretentious and is at least about something. The latter is an empty experience that hinges upon DiCaprio and Hardy.

He didn't deserve it in the company of the other nominated directors. Abrams, the presenter of the award, deserved it more than Iñárritu.

But you're right, at least Russell wasn't nominated and awarded for JOY.

I derived more entertainment from PACIFIC RIM than I did from THE REVENANT. The former isn't pretentious and is at least about something. The latter is an empty experience that hinges upon DiCaprio and Hardy.

Abrams wasn't even nominated though.
and deservedly so

CcW1_NWWIAASHYv.jpg:large

what am i suppose to be seeing?

AHA-Lambda

Largely unsurprising list of winners, managed to guess 4/6 of the main categories.

Sue me but I don't think Leo deserves it for Revenant (not saying he doesn't deserve one generally), hated that movie.

The real bullshit tonight was Specter winning the Original Song.

Jesus H Christ. The continued success of this pos is a conspiracy at this point.

duckroll

Lol. The only think Abrams deserves is probably getting his dick sucked by fanboys. It's all he does, pander to them. :p

Miller's consistent vision and commitment puts him above the others, no question. He championed the project for years and delivered big time when the pieces finally fell into place. It's due largely to George Miller that Fury Road is more than just a decently competent action movie.

No it does not. The Revenant and the Martian, were a far better directed movies. Iñárritu and Scott were far better directors than Miller last year. It does not matter how many years it took Miller to do the movie. It was not as greatly shot as the Revenant or the Martian.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm not saying JJ is perfect. He's a better filmmaker than Iñárritu, though.
lmao, fucking how. Abrams is an incompetent storyteller, seemingly never able to figure out how to get from point A to point B in cohesive fashion. He can helm a cast well and pander beautifully, but he's no good at telling stories, and always has been.

B33

Banned
Abrams wasn't even nominated though.
and deservedly so
He wasn't, but he presented the award and that's the point.

Everyone else nominated, and the presenter of the award, are better filmmakers than Iñárritu.

Lol. The only think Abrams deserves is probably getting his dick sucked by fanboys. It's all he does, pander to them. :p
JJ isn't perfect, but there's at least something underneath if his work, even if it is flawed. I don't like SUPER 8 and dislike STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS.

But I think JJ is more genuine in his filmmaking than Iñárritu, who has nothing interesting or meaningful to say. He's pretentious and is all style with no substance. When you peel back the superficial stuff, there's nothing beneath his work.

JJ may cater to fanboys, but Iñárritu caters to pretentious film snobs.

lmao, fucking how. Abrams is an incompetent storyteller, seemingly never able to figure out how to get from point A to point B in cohesive fashion. He can helm a cast well and pander beautifully, but he's no good at telling stories, and always has been.
Again, JJ isn't perfect. I'm aware of his faults. Iñárritu isn't a competent storyteller.

duckroll

I think Abrams is good at telling the sort of stories his fans want. Maybe they're the incompetent ones, since he's making millions of dollars at their expense. :)

Monocle

I don't think it dragged and I don't mind the subplot. CRIMSON PEAK channeled the feel of the old Hammer films in a good way. It's meant to be a gothic romance with ghosts, not a by the numbers horror movie, even though it has some of the tenets of the genre.

CRIMSON PEAK has more character and depth than THE REVENANT. No amount of budget and technical wizardry can compensate for a lack of story and overindulgent direction.
It's entirely possibly I'm unfamiliar with Crimson Peak's primary influences. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I was on the same page as Del Toro. I still love the first half, and the setting of the second, though.

No it does not. The Revenant and the Martian, were a far better directed movies. Iñárritu and Scott were far better directors than Miller last year. It does not matter how many years it took Miller to do the movie. It was not as greatly shot as the Revenant or the Martian.
The fact that you'd put The Martian's directing above Fury Road's says everything tbh. Sorry to be this dismissive but wow.

Brie Larson not thanking Tommy Wisseau was the biggest snub of the night.
Absolutely disgusting ingratitude. Just as bad as that Saul guy not even mentioning Vince Gilligan. Some of these celebs are really full of themselves!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Miller lost.

In any other case I probably wouldn't think so but I think you're right. I had never heard a single bad thing said about Iñárritu until tonight and tonight is filled with hatred against him.

It's all really weird.

Jarmel

Banned
But I think JJ is more genuine in his filmmaking than Iñárritu, who has nothing interesting or meaningful to say. He's pretentious and is all style with no substance. When you peel back the superficial layer, there's nothing beneath his work.

Abrams doesn't even try to have anything meaningful to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom