• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He wasn't, but he presented the award and that's the point.

Everyone else nominated, and the presenter of the award, are better filmmakers than Iñárritu.

JJ isn't perfect, but there's at least something underneath if his work, even if it is flawed. I don't like SUPER 8 and dislike STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS.

But I think JJ is more genuine in his filmmaking than Iñárritu, who has nothing interesting or meaningful to say. He's pretentious and is all style with no substance. When you peel back the superficial layer, there's nothing beneath his work.

JJ may cater to fanboys, but Iñárritu caters to pretentious film snobs.

Amores perros is better than any film Abrams has made or will make.

Toothless

Academy: "Hands are tied now."

Stallone: You shut me down. No, listen to me. You gave Rocky best picture. That's why I went to Coogler. Coogler's a great director. Remember he came to me, said, "You wanna be a Oscar winner?" I'm bein' a Oscar winner."

Academy: "Listen now, we offered you a chance."

Stallone: "I'm asking you for some votes. I need to win something. I need to do this for myself."

*Rylance enters*

Rylance: "Listen, you deaf fuck. I offered you a chance. When you could have won something, I offered you a chance to win an Oscar...and you blew it! You blew it."

The fact that you'd put The Martian's directing above Fury Road's says everything tbh. Sorry to be this dismissive but wow.

Yeah, it says i have a great tastes in movies and not just fascinated by just action scenes. The Martian is a better directed movie and a better movie.

Not as greatly shot?

What does that even mean?
It means that the Revenant and the Martian are better directed movies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Academy: "Hands are tied now."

Stallone: You shut me down. No, listen to me. You gave Rocky best picture. That's why I went to Coogler. Coogler's a great director. Remember he came to me, said, "You wanna be a Oscar winner?" I'm bein' a Oscar winner."

Academy: "Listen now, we offered you a chance."

Stallone: "I'm asking you for some votes. I need to win something. I need to do this for myself."

*Rylance enters*

Rylance: "Listen, you deaf fuck. I offered you a chance. When you could have won something, I offered you a chance to win an Oscar...and you blew it! You blew it."
holy fuck that movie is so under-appreciated

Kraftwerk

Innaritu hate is really bizzare... I get if you don't enjoy his movies, but folk are frothing at the mouth. He makes nice movies. It's not his fucking fault that the Oscar's picked him. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Go yell at the Oscar's if you are mad about someone not winning.

Monocle

The impeccable technical direction of being able to eject from a TIE Fighter while leaving the jacket you were wearing in it. Uh huh.
Hey, Jakku's a hot planet. The fact that Poe removed his jacket offscreen, before the crash, speaks to the practical mindset of his character. Or perhaps hints at a steamy love connection with Finn.

Either way, it was genius. So much meaning tied to one garment. Remarkable.

duckroll

The Martian is not better shot than Mad Max Fury Road. Not by a country mile. Is it a better movie? That's more debatable because what the Martian lacks in top-tier cinematography, it makes up for by being the most coherent and likeable film Ridley Scott has directed in ages. I think that people who dismiss Fury Road because it is just "action scenes", misses the point that the art of cinema is all inclusive, not exclusive.

B33

Banned
It's entirely possibly I'm unfamiliar with Crimson Peak's primary influences. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I was on the same page as Del Toro. I still love the first half, and the setting of the second, though.

I get where you're coming from. CRIMSON PEAK isn't what I expected and I've some problems with it. I warmed up to it more when I revisited it.

The movie's biggest problem was its marketing, which set the wrong frame of mind. It's a gothic romance with ghosts, not a horror movie. It's not supposed to be scary but atmospheric and tragic, and many people complained that it lacked scares.

Eh, mixed bag for me. Liked Birdman, hated The Revenant

BIRDMAN is a better movie than THE REVENANT.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hardy's been showing some chops. I'll be shocked if Bale ever gets one. He's been regressing, IMO.
Not that talent is ever a requirement. I know Gyllenhaal isn't getting one and he's been phenomenal of late.

We knew that when the Academy acted like Prisoners, Zodiac and especially Nightcrawler didnt exist.

Kazaam

No it does not. The Revenant and the Martian, were a far better directed movies. Iñárritu and Scott were far better directors than Miller last year. It does not matter how many years it took Miller to do the movie. It was not as greatly shot as the Revenant or the Martian.

I'm actually one of the people who disliked Mad Max, but this made me shudder.
Also from what I've read in this thread I think a lot of people confuse acting, cinematography, directing, editing etc. with a sort of in your face impression (acting intense = best acting, screen saver pictures = best cinematography, etc.)

Monocle

Why the hate for Innaritu? What has he done?
Some find him pretentious.

I get where you're coming from. CRIMSON PEAK isn't what I expected and I've some problems with it. I warmed up to it more when I revisited it.

The movie's biggest problem was its marketing, which set the wrong frame of mind. It's a gothic romance with ghosts, not a horror movie. It's not supposed to be scary but atmospheric and tragic, and many people complained that it lacked scares.
I will definitely see it again after I've looked into what Del Toro was going for.

lmao, fucking how. Abrams is an incompetent storyteller, seemingly never able to figure out how to get from point A to point B in cohesive fashion. He can helm a cast well and pander beautifully, but he's no good at telling stories, and always has been.

He can tell the story he has in front of him extremely well. It is the material he is given that can hold him back, but the guy can direct whatever is on the page.

No it does not. The Revenant and the Martian, were a far better directed movies. Iñárritu and Scott were far better directors than Miller last year. It does not matter how many years it took Miller to do the movie. It was not as greatly shot as the Revenant or the Martian.

Fury road was shot in such a cohesive manner, you can almost watch the whole film silently, and in fast motion while retaining all the necessary information. Miller played with shutter speed increases, and atypical framing. Super uncommon for most action flicks.

Scott and Iñárritu made exceptionally entertaining films that adhere to normal film making conventions, but wasn't anything groundbreaking.

The impeccable technical direction of being able to eject from a TIE Fighter while leaving the jacket you were wearing in it. Uh huh.

That's an event that takes place in the film, not an inherent directorial decision. Assume Abrams didn't write the film, as long as it was directed in an entertaining manner, that event was "directed" well.

You're confusing a film you enjoy vs directing ability.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hey, Jakku's a hot planet. The fact that Poe removed his jacket offscreen, before the crash, speaks to the practical mindset of his character. Or perhaps hints at a steamy love connection with Finn.

Either way, it was genius. So much meaning tied to one garment. Remarkable.

Keep it in your pants, Monocle.

UberTag

Same here. Spotlight winning means that instead of 2 years in a row with a Inarritu led film winning the big award we have 2 years in a row with Michael Keaton doing so. The world is flat out a better place for that.
If Michael Keaton stars in the Best Picture winner a 3rd year in a row, I hear that humanity will summon Beetlejuice to host the Oscars indefinitely.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah, it says i have a great tastes in movies and not just fascinated by just action scenes. The Martian is a better directed movie and a better movie.
The critical community overwhelmingly disagrees with your viewpoint.

What with Mad Max standing as the overwhelming champion of top ten lists and winning 6 best picture awards out of 14 of the major awards. More then any other film this year....so yeah.

B33

Banned
Abrams doesn't even try to have anything meaningful to say.
It's evident that both filmmakers are trying.

Amores perros is better than any film Abrams has made or will make.
Every movie I've watched by Iñárritu is the same thing.
They're technically impressive overall, boast passable to decent performances, and have a story that's about one thing: "Iñárritu is an amazing filmmaker."

duckroll

That's an event that takes place in the film, not an inherent directorial decision. Assume Abrams didn't write the film, as long as it was directed in an entertaining manner, that event was "directed" well.

Your confusing a film you enjoy vs directing ability.

Wrong. I don't have to assume because as the director of the film he specifically got involved in rewriting the film with the writer, and clearly had direct oversight on every aspect of the film. That's his job.

Aselith

tumblr_n8h4ampeJ11s8exhpo1_500.gif

Poe actually takes his jacket off before piloting the TIE fighter

latest

duckroll

Inarritu is like the BioShock Infinite of directors

So he's a timeless masterpiece who is loved by critics and all who truly appreciate the artform he works in, respected by his peers, but hated by a bunch of angry people who spend all their time on internet forums? :)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
No they find his actually movies pretentious. But usually in the misused form of pretentious that actually means "thing I dislike but cant properly articulate why."

Ok, I get it now! Thanks for the heads-up and reply :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So he's a timeless masterpiece who is loved by critics and all who truly appreciate the artform he works in, respected by his peers, but hated by a bunch of angry people who spend all their time on internet forums? :)

Duckroll, please.

Monocle

It means that the Revenant and the Martian are better directed movies.
I'm fascinated by technically brilliant filmmaking that achieves the exact effect it was aiming for. I am not the best person to distill the specifics for you, but there are plenty of articles and other behind-the-scenes content out there that delve into Fury Road's phenomenal production. You should look into it rather than dismiss the film for its "action scenes." You're focusing on the what in a conversation about the how.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

B33

Banned
Why the hate for Innaritu? What has he done?
Film Crit Hulk covered Iñárritu and BIRDMAN and describes the central problem with Iñárritu's work.

No they find his actual movies pretentious. But usually in the misused form of pretentious that actually means "thing I dislike but cant properly articulate why."
No, he's actually pretentious. Go look up his interviews. They're a whole bunch of nothing, like the stories of his films.

I don't have a problem articulating why I don't like Iñárritu's work as a whole. They're empty experiences lofted by passable to decent performances and technical excellence.

No they find his actual movies pretentious. But usually in the misused form of pretentious that actually means "thing I dislike but cant properly articulate why."

For me, I find him pretentious because I thought The Revenant barely had a semblance of a plot and the pacing was terrible and yet he's trying to make us think as if it was some kind of masterpiece. It was beautifully shot sure, but as a movie it fails to deliver.

B33

Banned
For me, I find him pretentious because I thought The Revenant barely had a semblance of a plot and the pacing was terrible and yet he's trying to make us think as if it was some kind of masterpiece. It was beautifully shot sure, but as a movie it fails to deliver.
Right. The movie totally deserved the Oscar for cinematography. Lubezki is great.

Bioshock Infinite was trash though. Game was beautiful, but the gameplay and story is mediocre.
Just like Innaritu's movies.

Are we getting ducktrolled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom