• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobbers

Cause Costner is crap, and it's a middling picture to begin with? Always seemed hammy to me (Jones' performance).

Might be.
To me he always the the best part of the fugitive. He's confident, captivating, he owns the character /buzzwords. It was just a really good performance. And yeah Harrison Ford is ass.

tommyleejones3.gif

I mean when I see this picture I see the eccentric Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard who will take no shit from anyone and will get the job done. I don't see Tommy Lee Jones. It's one of the classic performances.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Where did you get this? Motherfuckers, giving Screenplay awards first. Original Score before Directing is pretty, pretty telling.

It's more likely totally nothing, but it might suggest that one of the old guard is gonna get it (Williams, Morricone)

It doesn't seem radically different than usual.

It IS radically different than usual.
*Supporting actor always goes first; now is almost at half the show.
*Original Score is now near the end, when its always before the Screenplay categories. *Screenplay always goes at the end before Directing, now is gonna open the show.
*The techs are usually thrown in between short film categories and documentary, now they are all together at once.

It's more likely totally nothing, but it might suggest that one of the old guard is gonna get it (Williams, Morricone)

It will be a guaranteed standing ovation if is Newman, Williams or Morricone. That's why is dead last. They want those straight standing o's for Original Score, Iñarritu, Larson, Leo and the BP winner.

Sanjuro

It IS radically different than usual.
*Supporting actor always goes first; now is almost at half the show.
*Original Score is now near the end, when its always before the Screenplay categories. *Screenplay always goes at the end before Directing, now is gonna open the show.
*The techs are usually thrown in between short film categories and documentary, now they are all together at once.

You were under the assumption they were doing it for a specific purpose. The cause is likely tied to ratings and the flow of the show. They have been doing a few things here and there the last several years.

You were under the assumption they were doing it for a specific purpose. The cause is likely tied to ratings and the flow of the show. They have been doing a few things here and there the last several years.

yeah seems pretty standard to me.. start with something titillating and end with the goods.. the stuff no1curr about in the middle

Monocle

innaritu is like a parody of a genius filmmaker

we almost died in the cold and wild to make this film. we risk it all for our arrrrttttt. it's just that important to bring u this.

it's also very spiritual because there's a shot of leo walking towards a church in a dream. i am basically malick. the church is empty and ruined. this is symbolism. what if life is just empty except punctuated by violence and only quasi religious visions can give you consolation. wow fucking genius guys.

if you want to show the human condition u don't show characters you just show loads and loads of violence and suffering. on repeat. for 2 and a half hours. don't develop any ideas. leo crawling symbolizes man's struggle. that is what it means to be an artist btw (for more on how being an artist is the most difficult thing in the world plz watch 'birdman or some insufferable title about normal ppl being idiots')

show man vs nature. because it's like moby dick. i don't know what it means but it's man vs nature. like a serious novel. do you get it. it very important message.

also manliness. so much manliness. to be a man is to fight. i am a man.

absolute cunt. please stop making films. please make him go away.
This made me laugh. I'm leaning that way myself. If you want real filmmaking genius, look to what George Miller achieved with Fury Road—a real Trojan horse of a film.

Superficial viewers mistake Fury Road's purposeful chaos for a senseless shitstorm, when actually it's a wild spectacle and a disciplined character drama at exactly the same time, humanizing its story through the language of action. Fury Road could almost work as a silent film, it's so good at showing what drives the characters, how they relate to each other, and how these relationships shift in conflict. A post-apocalyptic chase movie that's entertaining and kind of profound: who would have thought?

Funny how a movie with a warlord leading his demented car worshiping cult across a desert wasteland to reclaim his harem contains more truth about the human condition than any pretentious award bait that wallows in angst and misery.

Williams has already 5, Morricone has the "we noticed you, now go away" aka Lifetime award.

I guess its Williams.

Also, the name of the composer is not in the ballot. I'm not convinced Morricone has this in the bag. The Hateful Eight barely got 3 nominations, and that's it.

Some predictions and opinions.

Best picture: I think The Revenant is a slight favorite here before Spotlight and The Big Short. I'd be happy with The Revenant or Spotlight winning.

Director: Inarritu, The Revenant. I just don't see anyone else taking it at this point.

Best Actor: Dicaprio. I think both of the main acting oscars are fairly certain.

Best Actress: Brie Larson. Personally Larson and Saoirse Ronan are closely tied for me. Loved both of the performances. While Charlotte Rampling was phenomenal as well.

Supporting Actor: I've a feeling Stallone will take this one, but I wouldn't mind Rylance or Ruffalo winning. But actually I think Jacob Tremblay should definitely have been nominated and I was blown away by his performance. One of the best child performances I've ever seen. He would have been my pick to win this.

Supporting Actress: Vikander is the favorite, but I'm hoping Winslet would take this one, even though haven't seen The Danish Girl yet.

Original screenplay: Spotlight

Adapter Screenplay: The Big Short

Cinematography: The Revenant. That's three in a row for Lubezki.

Editing: Probably between Mad Max, The Big Short and The Revenant.

Original score: The Hateful Eight

While Mad Max was really well made action film I don't think it should win anything besides the technical categories. I thought it was quite simplistic and not that memorable in the end and also had hardly any character development.

UberTag

My finalized Oscar predictions...

Best Picture - The Revenant - blech
Directing - Alejandro G. Iñárritu (The Revenant) - double blech
Actor in a Leading Role - Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant) - congrats on finally winning for all those other performances that were snubbed
Actress in a Leading Role - Brie Larson (Room) - Jacob Tremblay was better
Actor in a Supporting Role - Sylvester Stallone (Creed) - winner of 10 Razzie awards
Actress in a Supporting Role - Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl) - pre-emptive fuck you in advance to Kate Winslet if she upsets

Film Editing - Margaret Sixel (Mad Max: Fury Road) - well deserved
Cinematography - Emmanuel Lubezki (The Revenant) - three-time champion, we are not worthy
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Charles Randolph & Adam McKay (The Big Short) - token award for Best Picture front-runner
Writing (Original Screenplay) - Josh Singer & Tom McCarthy (Spotlight) - token award #2 for Best Picture front-runner which I'm happy to say I called WAY back in September

For those of you who enjoy watching old-fashioned newsroom procedurals, I can say that Spotlight more than delivers. This is poised to be the annual flick that racks up a host of Oscar noms, wins an award for Screenplay and calls it a day.
Animated Feature Film - Inside Out
Foreign Language Film - Son of Saul - the rare foreign film awards juggernaut that deserves to be sought out and seen by everyone
Documentary (Feature) - Amy

Costume Design - Jenny Beavan (Mad Max: Fury Road) - momentum has shifted this way but I'm not completely convinced Sandy Powell's double nomination has sunk her chances
Makeup and Hairstyling - Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega & Damian Martin (Mad Max: Fury Road)
Production Design - Colin Gibson & Lisa Thompson (Mad Max: Fury Road)
Sound Editing - Martin Hernandez & Lon Bender (The Revenant) - riding the BAFTA and CAS Sound Mixing guild momentum in these next two categories
Sound Mixing - Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño, Randy Thom & Chris Duesterdiek (The Revenant)
Visual Effects - Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan & Chris Corbould (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) - if The Revenant wins here, it's going to be a long night

Music (Original Score) - Ennio Morricone (The Hateful Eight) - long overdue
Music (Original Song) - Lady Gaga for some song nobody listened to from some film nobody watched... please tune in and watch the Oscars on Sunday for Lady Gaga

Short Film (Animated) - Bear Story
Short Film (Live Action) - Stutterer
Documentary (Short Subject) - Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah

FINAL OSCAR PREDICTION TALLY

The Revenant - 6
Mad Max: Fury Road - 4
Everyone Else Gets One Award for Being Awesome
Black People - 0

Toothless

Time for some will win, should win with personal rankings in the categories I've seen them all in:

Best Picture:
Will Win: The Big Short
Could go to: The Revenant
Should Win: Room

1. Room
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. The Big Short
4. Brooklyn
5. Bridge of Spies
6. Spotlight
7. The Martian
8. The Revenant

Best Director:
Will Win: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, The Revenant
Should Win: George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road

Personal rankings:

1. George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Adam McKay, The Big Short
3. Lenny Abrahamson, Room
4. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, The Revenant
5. Tom McCarthy, Spotlight

Best Actor:
Will Win: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Should Win: Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs

Best Actress:
Will/Should Win: Brie Larson, Room

Best Supporting Actor:
Will/Should Win: Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Personal rankings:

1. Sylvester Stallone, Creed
2. Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
3. Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
4. Tom Hardy, The Revenant
5. Christian Bale, The Big Short

Best Supporting Actress:
Will Win: Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Could go to: Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs
Should Win: Rooney Mara, Carol

Personal rankings:

1. Rooney Mara, Carol
2. Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
3. Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs
4. Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
5. Rachel McAdams, Spotlight

Best Original Screenplay:
Will Win: Spotlight
Should Win: Inside Out

Personal Rankings:

1. Inside Out
2. Bridge of Spies
3. Spotlight
4. Straight Outta Compton
5. Ex Machina

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Should Win: Room

Personal Rankings:
1. Room
2. The Big Short
3. Brooklyn
4. Carol
5. The Martian

Best Animated Feature:
Will/Should Win: Inside Out

Best Foreign Language Film:
Will/Should Win: Son of Saul

Best Documentary Feature:
Will Win: Amy

Best Documentary Short:
Will Win: Body Team 12

Best Live Action Short:
Will Win: Ave Maria

Best Animated Short:
Will Win: Sanjay's Super Team
Should Win: World of Tomorrow

Best Cinematography:
Will Win: The Revenant
Should Win: The Hateful Eight

Personal Rankings:

1. The Hateful Eight
2. Sicario
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. Carol
5. The Revenant

Best Costume Design:
Will/Should Win: Cinderella
Could go to: Mad Max: Fury Road

Personal Rankings:

1. Cinderella
3. Carol
4. The Revenant
5. The Danish Girl

Best Film Editing:
Should Win/Could go to: Mad Max: Fury Road

Personal Rankings:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Big Short
3. Spotlight
4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
5. The Revenant

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:
Will Win: The Revenant
Should Win: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Production Design:
Will/Should Win: Mad Max: Fury Road

Personal Rankings:

2. Bridge of Spies
3. The Martian
4. The Danish Girl
5. The Revenant

Best Original Score:
Will/Should Win: Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight

Personal Rankings:

1. Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
2. Carter Burwell, Carol
3. John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens
4. Johann Johannsson, Sicario
5. Thomas Newman, Bridge of Spies

Best Original Song:
Will Win: "Til It Happens to You," The Hunting Ground
Should Win: "Manta Ray," Racing Extinction

Personal Rankings:

1. "Manta Ray," Racing Extinction
2. "Earned It," Fifty Shades of Grey
3. "Simple Song #3," Youth
4. "Til It Happens to You," The Hunting Ground
5. "Writing's on the Wall," Spectre

Best Sound Editing:
Will/Should Win: Mad Max: Fury Road

Personal Rankings:

2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3. The Revenant
4. Sicario
5. The Martian

Best Sound Mixing:
Will Win/Should Win: Mad Max: Fury Road

Personal Rankings:

2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3. The Revenant
4. The Martian
5. Bridge of Spies

Best Visual Effects:
Will/Should Win: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Could go to: Mad Max: Fury Road

Personal Rankings:

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3. Ex Machina
4. The Martian
5. The Revenant

Some predictions and opinions.

Best picture: I think The Revenant is a slight favorite here before Spotlight and The Big Short. I'd be happy with The Revenant or Spotlight winning.

While Mad Max was really well made action film I don't think it should win anything besides the technical categories. I thought it was quite simplistic and not that memorable in the end and also had hardly any character development.

And the Revenant wasn't simplistic with very little character development?

For me, the big difference is Mad Max has no pretensions to be much more than a great action film, but is done so well and treated with such care and made with such brilliance that it ends up being more.

The Revenant thinks its complex and has plenty to say. Pretension gets used a lot, very often wrongly. It's absolutely right in the case of The Revenant for me.

Violet_0

Banned
By the way, re: Best Animated Feature

I think Inside Out is a totally great film and one of Pixar's best in ages.

That being said, I'm just sick and tired of the Academy defaulting to big hit Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks pics for this category and the controversy from last year just further rustles my jimmies.

Inside Out probably deserves it this year (haven't seen Anomalisa or Marnie yet though), but fuck me, I am still salty about the previous two snubs because of these shenanigans.

I've seen 4/5 of them (missing Shaun) and I think Inside Out is the best of them. Anomalisa was interesting, Boy and the World is nice-looking with a simplistic message, Marnie is pretty forgettable. Inside Out on the other hand is among my favorite Pixar movies. They legit earned the Oscar in my opinion

Frodo

innaritu is like a parody of a genius filmmaker

we almost died in the cold and wild to make this film. we risk it all for our arrrrttttt. it's just that important to bring u this.

it's also very spiritual because there's a shot of leo walking towards a church in a dream. i am basically malick. the church is empty and ruined. this is symbolism. what if life is just empty except punctuated by violence and only quasi religious visions can give you consolation. wow fucking genius guys.

if you want to show the human condition u don't show characters you just show loads and loads of violence and suffering. on repeat. for 2 and a half hours. don't develop any ideas. leo crawling symbolizes man's struggle. that is what it means to be an artist btw (for more on how being an artist is the most difficult thing in the world plz watch 'birdman or some insufferable title about normal ppl being idiots')

show man vs nature. because it's like moby dick. i don't know what it means but it's man vs nature. like a serious novel. do you get it. it very important message.

also manliness. so much manliness. to be a man is to fight. i am a man.

absolute cunt. please stop making films. please make him go away.

lol

It reminded me of one of the critics I've read about it, mentioning that you always feel like there is a director trying hard to make us remember he is there behind the camera when you watch the film. Absolutely on point.

Nibel

Nux from Mad Max is a better character than anybody from Revenant. Heck, he's a better character than most characters in last year's movies.

rashbeep

Banned
I haven't seen all the BP nominees, but Room was pretty excellent. Mad Max was well made, but just not very engaging to me.

Nux, Furiosa and Max all have more character development than anyone in The Revenant.

Melissa McCarthy's character in Spy had more character development than anyone in The Revenant

So did Paul Rudd in Ant-Man

MMarston

Is Inarritu really an asshole or is it just personal feelings? I'd like to really know.

I'd like to know this too.

I mean, I'm not in support of Revenant stealing the show either, but I'm wondering why he's suddenly 'cunt' status on GAF.

Nah, he's not an asshole. Bit egotistical and thinks his films are worth far more than they are, but a) he's a film director and b) the rest of Hollywood are fuelling that notion.

He's cool. I just don't like his movies and think it's a shame that he's winning big.

MIMIC

Banned
Sooooo....the only BP nominees I haven't seen are "Bridge of Spies" and "Brooklyn". I'd put them in this this order:

1. "The Big Short" | A
2. "Spotlight" | A-
3. "Room" | A-
4. "The Martian" | B+
5. "Mad Max" | B
6. "The Revenant" | B-

TheXbox

Is there any chance Morricone doesn't win for Original Score? Star Wars is better, but no one has been undeservedly snubbed by the Oscars more than Morricone.

nilbog21

Banned
If I have a VPN can I use an IP from NYC to stream from ABC's site?

I don't understand how I have a Time Warner Cable and Xfinity account and I still can't watch this event online

I'd go:

Mad Max (10)
Spotlight (8)
The Big Short (5)
The Martian (4)
The Revenant (3)

will watch the other three at some point this week.

I preferred Beasts of No Nation, Sicario, Steve Jobs and Macbeth to the latter three.

MMarston

Is there any chance Morricone doesn't win for Original Score? Star Wars is better, but no one has been undeservedly snubbed by the Oscars more than Morricone.

Like Oersted said: they gave him a lifetime achievement award. So they're not that obligated to give him an actual Oscar.

Frodo

I wasn't even mad with Birdman winning BP, but The Revenant, apart from being absolutely stunning, doesn't really deserve the praise it gets, nor it deserves to win over Mad Max or the other nominated films, all things considered. I specifically mention Mad Max because if The Revenant deserves an award because it was difficult to shoot and for being beautiful, than what is the excuse for not giving Mad Max one?

Lima

Sees at least three people pick Lawrence for Joy in the first page.

*screams internally*

She ain't winning shit for that movie you fools.

Larson has that category on lock.

Meowster

I'm not playing the predicting game this year (I just have not been as interested this year compared to the last few years sans Mad Max, Brooklyn, Room, and parts of The Revenant). It'll be nice not to be ticking off and see if I won my bets over my friends this year and just get to the enjoy the big show. That BP race tho. Hope this show is a lot better than the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom