• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching for rock tbh

I love mad max but I'm pretty certain it won't win anything outside of a few technical awards.

Hopefully Stallone wins at least tho I wouldn't be mad if rylance or hardy picked it up.

BkMogul

They used to start off with Both Supporting Awards in the past, no? I don't really care for the rest sans the acting and directing stuff. Hope Revenant wins everything since it's a spectacular film. Would've loved to see Hardy win but I know that's a long shot.

nilbog21

Banned
Reposting because I never got an answer:

Is it possible to use VPN to connect to a NYC IP to stream the oscars on ABC 's site? (Only available in select cities).

I can't get it to work. Despite having xfinity and time warner cable sub, I won't be able to watch this online it's absurd. Anyone want to hook me up w/ a high quality online stream? -.-

MIMIC

Banned
Sees at least three people pick Lawrence for Joy in the first page.

*screams internally*

She ain't winning shit for that movie you fools.

Larson has that category on lock.

I don't think I've ever seen Brie Larson in anything (or at least I can't remember). All the while I was watching "Room", I was thinking, "Is.....that Jennifer Lawrence"?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I hope Sanjay's Super Team doesn't win Best Animated Short - World of Tomorrow was so much better (I haven't seen any of the other nominees).

Ridley327

I hope Sanjay's Super Team doesn't win Best Animated Short - World of Tomorrow was so much better (I haven't seen any of the other nominees).

Hi-five!

Pixar isn't anywhere close to being a lock in the shorts category as they often are for features, and it doesn't help them that it's a strong crop this year even without them. I'd put Sanjay's Super Team on the bottom of the list of nominees myself.

Anomalisa and World of Tomorrow deserve it big time over their Disney competition. So much better

But the Disney stranglehold is real.

Azalean

Banned
My Predictions:

Best Picture
"The Big Short"

Best Director
Alejandro González Iñárritu, "The Revenant"

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Revenant"

Best Actress
Brie Larson, "Room"

Best Supporting Actor
Sylvester Stallone, "Creed"

Best Supporting Actress
Alicia Vikander, "The Danish Girl"

Best Original Screenplay
"Spotlight"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Big Short"

Best Foreign Film
"Son of Saul"

Best Documentary Feature
"Amy"

Best Animated Feature
"Inside Out"

Best Film Editing
"Mad Max: Fury Road"

Best Original Song
“Til It Happens To You,” The Hunting Ground

Best Original Score
"The Hateful Eight"

Best Visual Effects
"Mad Max: Fury Road" – Andrew Jackson, Dan Oliver, Andy Williams, and Tom Wood

Best Cinematography
"The Revenant"

Best Costume Design
"Cinderella"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
"The Revenant"

Best Production Design
"The Martian"

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

Best Short Film, Live Action
"Ave Maria"

Best Short Film, Animated
"Sanjay's Super Team"

Best Documentary Short Subject
"Body Team 12"

Pachimari

Wow, I had no idea Denmark made A Look of Silence. I had been very interested in it but it feels special when it comes from my own country. So we actually have two nominations this year.

Ridley327

Anomalisa and World of Tomorrow deserve it big time over their Disney competition. So much better

But the Disney stranglehold is real.

Going by some pundits, it seems like Bear Story has a good chance of taking the shorts category. I wouldn't be upset with that; the animation is noticeably amateur at times, but it's got fantastic art direction and a really strong emotional core to it in how it tells its story that invites a surprising amount of interpretation by its end. I don't think it's as good as my top two (World of Tomorrow and We Can't Live Without Cosmos are all about that realness), but it is a very good short all the same.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pixar isn't anywhere close to being a lock in the shorts category as they often are for features, and it doesn't help them that it's a strong crop this year even without them. I'd put Sanjay's Super Team on the bottom of the list of nominees myself.

Yeah, I checked and was surprised to see that Get a Horse, La Luna, and Day & Night didn't win in their respective years. Seems like people are more open to voting for non-Disney/Pixar films in the Short category than they are for the Feature category.

Javier

I didn't watch much movies this year but I'll still watch and root for Bear Story winning the Animated Short award.

Plum

Hi-five!

Oh, Pixar did an animated short this year? Rip Hertzfeldt'd Oscar hopes and dreams. WoT is going to get snubbed almost as much as Its Such a Beautiful Day was snubbed out of everything.

Demption

I would be really happy if Room won for best picture. Not gonna happen though. Spotlight or The Big Short would be nice also. I really hope Revenant won't win it, it's overrated as a movie. Great cinematography, directing and acting but the plot is quite uninteresting.

Ridley327

Oh, Pixar did an animated short this year? Rip Hertzfeldt'd Oscar hopes and dreams. WoT is going to get snubbed almost as much as Its Such a Beautiful Day was snubbed out of everything.

They did two, but I probably would have been incredibly angry if it was Lava instead.

Robot Pants

innaritu is like a parody of a genius filmmaker

we almost died in the cold and wild to make this film. we risk it all for our arrrrttttt. it's just that important to bring u this.

it's also very spiritual because there's a shot of leo walking towards a church in a dream. i am basically malick. the church is empty and ruined. this is symbolism. what if life is just empty except punctuated by violence and only quasi religious visions can give you consolation. wow fucking genius guys.

if you want to show the human condition u don't show characters you just show loads and loads of violence and suffering. on repeat. for 2 and a half hours. don't develop any ideas. leo crawling symbolizes man's struggle. that is what it means to be an artist btw (for more on how being an artist is the most difficult thing in the world plz watch 'birdman or some insufferable title about normal ppl being idiots')

show man vs nature. because it's like moby dick. i don't know what it means but it's man vs nature. like a serious novel. do you get it. it very important message.

also manliness. so much manliness. to be a man is to fight. i am a man.

absolute cunt. please stop making films. please make him go away.
Kind of agree. Wanted to rip my eyes out at Babel.
Really really really disappointed in Revenant aside from Hardy.
But I enjoyed Birdman quite a bit.

kmag

Fanboyin' hard for DiCaprio.

I think he deserves it for the body of work (which I know shouldn't factor in to it, but clearly does), just don't think this film or performance (to be fair to him the film offers no character growth, plenty of grunting and generally looking miserable but no real growth) is anywhere near top 5 for DiCaprio.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Really hoping Stallone wins for Creed. Movie should have gotten a Best pic nom too. And best director. Man, Creed was so damn good.

Tobor

Lady on CNN just made a good case for the Big Short winning best picture due to the proportional voting system. The Revenent is divisive and could lose due to lower point totals from people who didn't like it.

Sounds legit enough for to me get behind.

Lady on CNN just made a good case for the Big Short winning best picture due to the proportional voting system. The Revenent is divisive and could lose due to lower point totals from people who didn't like it.

hence my prediction fam

Picked up PGA too

Dude, they nominated that song from Spectre that everyone forgot about while it was playing during the title sequence. Slim pickings this year in that category.

you could say The writing was on the wall. (didn't even have to look it up, booyah)
I edited my post because I had the wrong song though. The soundtrack of Fifty is trash (imo) in terms of fit with the movie, but that song is okay in itself. It's just that the movie that it's tied to (ha!) is just so miserable.

Personally I'm hoping for a surprise Spielberg on Best Picture, but we all know it's going to be either The Big Short (actor performances and editing are definitely worthy of the price) or Spotlight. If somehow it's Mad Max, I would suggest the actors or Miller using "witness me!" on stage.

And the Revenant wasn't simplistic with very little character development?

For me, the big difference is Mad Max has no pretensions to be much more than a great action film, but is done so well and treated with such care and made with such brilliance that it ends up being more.

The Revenant thinks its complex and has plenty to say. Pretension gets used a lot, very often wrongly. It's absolutely right in the case of The Revenant for me.

I actually haven't seen The Revenant yet, only BP nominee I haven't seen along with The Big Short, but it has been my most anticipated film of the year for a long time now and I'm expecting it to be a powerful experience and a piece of good old fashioned film making in a style of Lawrence of Arabia. I'm fairly certain it will be a my cup of tea. Spotlight is my current favorite movie of the year followed by Room.

Mad Max was often thrilling and intense experience but I felt the movie was in a rush and hardly gave any of the characters or scenes time to develop and it really had hardly any substance and the plot was quite simplistic in the end. I really disliked the use of fast forward in some of the scenes as well. Sure it was fun to watch but I don't feel like watching it again and it's not in my top 10 of the year.

Nux from Mad Max is a better character than anybody from Revenant. Heck, he's a better character than most characters in last year's movies.

I don't really remember any characters from Mad Max that well. Like I said technically I think it's a great piece of film making, but not as much when it comes to story or the characters.

I just don't see The Big Short beating Spotlight if Revenant does indeed fall behind in voting.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
It is a travesty that Carol was not nominated. A wonderfully made film with superb chemistry between the two leads.

So, ABC.com is telling me I can't watch online because I live in the wrong place, which is some serious bullshit. Are there any alternatives? I've only got a few hours to save the night and be an Oscar hero, but I can't find any streams.

jett

D-Member
More like Gilbert Grape, dude peaked when he blew up.

THIS did not deserve a win over Leo

giphy.gif

Probably for the best he didn't get an Oscar so early in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom