• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
These are my predictions:

Picture: La La Land
Actor: Casey
Actress: Emma
Supporting Actor: Mahershayla Ali
Supporting Actress: Viola
Director: Damien Chazelle

And La La Land will win every other category it's nominated in.

If Gosling somehow wins I'm going to hammer a bullet into my throat while singing Real Human Being.

Gosling got fucked over for Drive and Blue Valentine tho. Not even a nom for both. Damn bastards.

number11

Nah, his performance was okay-ish. Looking sad for two hours isn't that hard. Garfield's performance was better than his as well. I am guessing it goes to Denzel

Looking sad is probably the opposite of what he did in that film. His character was pretty emotionless in that movie.. and bringing an emotional performance to a character trying to hide emotions is incredibly hard.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I just...wow.

Looking sad is probably the opposite of what he did in that film. His character was pretty emotionless in that movie.. and bringing an emotional performance to a character trying to hide emotions is incredibly hard.

You have the critical eye of a stone.

I just don't think it was that good. I didn't say it was terrible, just okay-ish. I mean he did his best with what he had to work with. It just was bland.

robotrock

Banned
a better example for your actor looking sad for two hours argument would be dev patel in lion

but thats more like one hour i guess

Some actors do this for better win potential. It's not often you see it for film, but on the television side it's regular. Lead actor is always a hell of a fight, but in supporting, you can have a better chance.

I hate this shit, I should have been so happy for JK Simmons two years back but his victory was bittersweet as he was clearly a co-lead in Whiplash. The way things are now, I'd rather they go best actor, best actress and best ensemble, at least that way real secondary roles get recognised.

FTF

Some actors do this for better win potential. It's not often you see it for film, but on the television side it's regular. Lead actor is always a hell of a fight, but in supporting, you can have a better chance.

Actors can decide what category they want to be in?

I find it very irksome that Hacksaw Ridge gets a directing nom but Silence is nowhere to be seen.

Of the two films about Andrew Garfield's faith being tested, one of them is a mawkish lifetime drama interspliced with some very well realised war scenes, whilst the other is Scorsese's finest film in almost two decades.

They really fucked up the release for that one - screeners came too late and it never had a chance to get the promotional support it needed.

Haven't seen many movies nominated but I have seen La La Land, so I'm on team sweep.

And I truly hope there are comments that get under Trump's skin. I have the displeasure of knowing Trump supporters who are boycotting (watching, of course) the Oscars in anticipation of such remarks. If they spare using any hackneyed critiques (which can be tiresome to any viewer regardless of political affiliation) and have some tasteful jabs, I'm all for it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I just don't think it was that good. I didn't say it was terrible, just okay-ish. I mean he did his best with what he had to work with. It just was bland.
That movie is a miserablist drudge with nothing to say, but I think his performance had a couple of layers to it.

imBask

Banned
I just watched Moonlight. It was good but it felt soooooo much longer than it actually was

so i've seen Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land, Arrival and Moonlight now... still want La La Land to win. The only one I didn't like was Hacksaw Ridge

Acosta

Only thing I'd really care about is Arrival winning best picture but it will not happen so I guess that's that.

The fact Amy Adams is not even nominated is a travesty.

I'm pretty sure Lalaland will sweep with this, a very good film, that is also a really good musical about Hollywood favorite thing ever (Hollywood). I wonder how predictable the judges will be.

holygeesus

Banned
It ain't gonna happen but I've got a couple of quid on Huppert for Elle. She deserves it but I can't see her winning.

dickroach

I'm going to see the Animated Short nominees at theater in a few; they all look pretty neat. and then that gives me something to root for, because I've literally seen no movies this year :\

robotrock

Banned
Do you have a problem with my man Casey Affleck?

yeah google your man + sexual harassment
I just watched Moonlight. It was good but it felt soooooo much longer than it actually was

so i've seen Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land, Arrival and Moonlight now... still want La La Land to win. The only one I didn't like was Hacksaw Ridge

when I saw moonlight i literally felt like i got to the theater and sat down for 15 minutes and then left. it's the best

Strax

I hope Arrival and Lion do well but I think it's more important that Hell or High Water and Manchester by the Sea don't win anything. Especially Hell or High Water.

Man, after seeing moonlight and la la land yesterday, its such a bummer that the academy is gonna vote for the latter.

It's the equivalent of 1989 winning over TPAB at the grammys for me.

robotrock

Banned
I hope Arrival and Lion do well but I think it's more important that Hell or High Water and Manchester by the Sea don't win anything. Especially Hell or High Water.

yea i just saw hell or high water last night and i still don't really get it. what's the deal with that one?

i was more focused on how old jeff bridges seemed, but he's not really that old now right? he was just acting? he seemed so much younger in tron legacy like seven years ago

number11

It's gonna be a La La Land sweep.. although Ryan Gosling is never winning best actor. If there is a surprise tonight, it will probably be in the best actor category (my money is on Vigo).

Sanjuro

yea i just saw hell or high water last night and i still don't really get it. what's the deal with that one?

i was more focused on how old jeff bridges seemed, but he's not really that old now right? he was just acting? he seemed so much younger in tron legacy like seven years ago

R.I.P.D. aged him terribly.

My picks for the big categories:

Best Picture - Moonlight

Best Actor - Casey Affleck

Best Actress - Natalie Portman (should be Viola, I can't believe they put her in the supporting category)

Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali

Best Supporting Actress - Viola Davis

Best Director - Barry Jenkins

Best Cinematography - La La Land

Adapted Screenplay - Barry Jenkins

Original Screenplay - Kenneth Lonergan

I'm a little worried La La Land is gonna sweep everything. It's definitely a great movie, but I don't think it was even top 3 from last year. Still really looking forward to this though, it was such a great year for movies.

Meowster

I like Emma but it's kinda sad that she's winning when she is nowhere near on the same level as Natalie and Isabelle's performances. Natalie won't be attending tonight thanks to doctor's orders so I hope Isabelle somehow wins (very doubtful).

Parahan

No love for Amy Adams or even the nominated Natalie Portman. Literally no one except me thinks Portman deserves to win?

Edit: giantenema sort of does I guess.

kevin1025

Banned
Actors can decide what category they want to be in?

I don't know the exact nature of how it works, I think it's a decision made by the studio, or whoever is running the awards campaign for that specific person. But there are times in television, for the Emmys specifically, where a lead actor pushes himself down to the supporting pack for a better chance of winning, away from the powerhouses. It's a total guess on my part, but I think Dev Patel or his campaign team did the same.

Meowster

No love for Amy Adams or even the nominated Natalie Portman. Literally no one except me thinks Portman deserves to win?
She was the best of the nominees and the best performance Natalie Portman ever gave, so sign me up. I wish Amy got nominated instead of Meryl but what can you do? At least Arrival got plenty of love. I was expecting them to like Jackie more but it was kinda unconventional and cold so I can see why they didn't warm to it.

Burbeting

Banned
I wish Moonlight would win best picture, but I won't be sad if La La Land wins. Both movies were excellent!

Same with Emma Stone. Win or no win for her is fine with me.

If anything other than Zootopia wins best animated movie, screw the Academy.

Strax

I think the last 10-15 mins, which are great, really sent people out of theaters happy because up to that point the movie was just a really well made paint by the numbers western with a obvious message many can related to.

that first hour of lion is so good but dev patel ruined it im sorry

god i hate him so much it's probably unhealthy

ohhhh I think he's a clear winner of best actor of all noms. Supporting and leads, both genders,

Ogodei

La La Land for Best Picture, Affleck for best actor, Stone for best Actress, Bridges for supporting actor, Davis for supporting actress, Zootopia for animated feature, La La Land for Cinematography, Hacksaw Ridge for direction, Arrival for editing, Suicide Squad for makeup, La La Land for music, Fantastic Beasts for production design, The Jungle Book for visual effects, Hidden Figures for adapted writing, The Lobster for original writing.

My bets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom