• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEST PICTURE
Will win: La La Land
Should win: La La Land
Should have been nominated: Silence

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Will win: Denzel Washington
Should win: Casey Affleck
Should have been nominated: Joel Edgerton (Loving)

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Will win: Emma Stone
Should win: Isabelle Huppert
Should have been nominated: Amy Adams (Arrival)

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Will win: Mahershala Ali
Should win: Lucas Hedges
Should have been nominated: Ryan Gosling (The Nice Guys)

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Will win: Viola Davis
Should win: Viola Davis
Should have been nominated: Anya Taylor Joy (The Witch)

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Will win: Zootopia
Should win: Moana
Should have been nominated: Your Name

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Should win: Moonlight
Should have been nominated: n/a

COSTUME DESIGN
Will win: Jackie
Should win: Jackie
Should have been nominated: Rogue One

DIRECTING

FILM EDITING
Should have been nominated: Hunt for the Wilderpeople

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Will win: Star Trek Beyond
Should win: Star Trek Beyond

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Should have been nominated: Moana

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
Will win: City of Stars
Should win: How Far I'll Go
Should have been nominated: Where You Are, Moana

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Should win: Hail, Caesar!

SOUND EDITING
Will win: Hacksaw Ridge
Should win: Hacksaw Ridge
Should have been nominated: Moonlight

SOUND MIXING
Should win: Hacksaw Ridge
Should have been nominated:

VISUAL EFFECTS
Will win: The Jungle Book
Should win: The Jungle Book
Should have been nominated: Moana

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
Will win: Moonlight

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
Will win: Manchester by the Sea
Should win: The Lobster
Should have been nominated: Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Parahan

I was expecting them to like Jackie more but it was kinda unconventional and cold so I can see why they didn't warm to it.

I agree. But so was Manchester by the sea but I guess it got a lot more campaigning done than Jackie
Honestly thought Denzel Washington was much better than Affleck.

robotrock

Banned
ohhhh I think he's a clear winner of best actor of all noms. Supporting and leads, both genders,

mahershala ali acts circles around him

totally wouldn't be surprised if dev gets it though but, yeah ill be pissed! count on me taking it to twitter
Arrival is a movie I can not fathom people disliking.

dude i don't get it either man. i think some people might find it slow but damn that movie is gripping.

when I saw arrival in theaters I was leaning out of my chair and looked like this guy:
fe55f1a68049f09f3c5f2215ec5605da_images-for-the-thinker-thinking-man-sculpture-clipart_1280-848.jpeg

that's just how good arrival is

I bet on Moonlight winning in my office pool, in-case it pulls a Spotlight x 2 and upsets best picture.

Will be interesting to see if the academy was affected at all by the La La Land backlash.

As long as that piece of shit Arrival wins nothing

A little strong, but I wasn't too fond of Arrival either. It was good, but nowhere near Oscars worthy to me.

Is La La Land really that good? I was considering watching it before the awards, but don't want to get my hopes up like I did with Birdman only to be greatly disappointed

Moppeh

Banned
Mel will do it!

It's nice to want things.

Also, what is with the Hacksaw Ridge lovefest? The second half of the film is incredible and may have better, kinetic war cinematography than Saving Private Ryan, but that first half is such a low-effort, Lifetime-esque waste. I could see the arguments for Hacksaw Ridge if the beginning was trimmed down considerably and felt less faux-inspirational, but in its current form that first half really bogs it down.

robotrock

Banned
A little strong, but I wasn't too fond of Arrival either. It was good, but nowhere near Oscars worthy to me.

Is La La Land really that good? I was considering watching it before the awards, but don't want to get my hopes up like I did with Birdman only to be greatly disappointed

la la land is neat and worth watching. dont get your hopes up, but know its a decently cool movie.

Also, what is with the Hacksaw Ridge lovefest? The second half of the film is incredible and may have better, kinetic war cinematography than Saving Private Ryan, but that first half is such a low-effort, Lifetime-esque waste. I could see the arguments for Hacksaw Ridge if the beginning was trimmed down considerably and felt less faux-inspirational, but in its current form that first half really bogs it down.

this. once you hit the war scenes hacksaw ridge is pretty good but goddamn that first half can be insanely corny

- J - D -

Is this the first year that they offer a livestream of the entire show?

I swear, last year and before all you could watch online was backstage stuff.

milanbaros

Member?
Why is Viola in supporting? Because they thought she had a better chance of winning?

She is a clear lead actress in that film.

Parahan

Why is Viola in supporting? Because they thought she had a better chance of winning?

And she is literally the only actress in the film lol. But I guess they really want her to win and not go against Emma stone.

Really?

Moonlight wasn't my favorite film of the year but I wouldn't dare be so dismissive of it. It probably has the best chance to be a lasting classic out of everything this year.

I think it was really cheap looking. The kid is supposed to be a hard neighborhood and they cast the least threatening bully characters I have ever seen. Movie could have been called "Its Okay To Be Gay: The Little Sharone Story" and aired on basic cable..thats how low budget and simple it felt.

Watched every nominated movie but Hidden Figures. Sad to see that Manchester by the Sea has 0 chance of winning this, it's the best movie I watched all year. Gonna be rooting for La La Land because I also throughly enjoyed it, Moonlight was boring as fuck.

My man Michael Shannon should have more of a chance here, he saved Nocturnal Animals.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Probably easier for them to recognize her talent by giving her supporting while still giving Emma the award for lead. It's crap.

more like wacksaw ridge

the beginning of the movie made me think I was watching the notebook or some shit

movie was kind of irritatingly earnest

milanbaros

Member?
Probably easier for them to recognize her talent by giving her supporting while still giving Emma the award for lead. It's crap.

I haven't seen La La Land but Viola was a match for Denzel in that film and that's saying something (would give the edge to Casey for lead actor though).

Emma Stone must have been incredible for them to not think Viola had the better than even shot against her.

I haven't seen all the movies. Haven't seen half of em. But that's the beauty of Oscar predictions: Neither have the voters. You can decently predict who will win what based solely through aggregating all the Oscar Politicking articles that have been running since January.

Fuck it:

Best Picture
Moonlight

Best Director
Barry Jenkins

Best Actor
Denzel Washington

Best Actress
Emma Stone

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis

Best Original Screenplay
Manchester by the Sea

Best Adapted Screenplay
Moonlight

Best Cinematography
La La Land

Best Editing
Moonlight

Best Score
La La Land

Best Animated Film
Zootopia

Best Documentary
O.J.: Made in America

Why? It was a great movie.

I just watched it and I really hated it..so melodramatic with all the daughter stuff. You want a good laugh go listen to the Cannata review where he cried like a baby and tried to explain why time is finite.

I just dont dig that guys movies..I hated Prisoners and Sicario too. I just hope its the scripts he picks because all the movies look really good. I just think his movies have bad gimmicks. Him getting the Blade Runner gig is something I try not to think about because i want to get hyped for that movie

meow

Finally watched La La Land and it was so disappointing I legit cried near the end, and not because the ending scene was sad (it wasn't), but because the whole thing was just bad. Overhyped and so cliched.

I obviously just don't get movies (or the academy) because I don't understand how either Stone or Gosling can be favorites to snag best actress/actor with the other performances in the nominees this year.

Elitist1945

Fuck I don't know which movie I want to win more awards: Arrival, Hacksaw or Moonlight. All special and important in their own ways.

I mean the movie's studio submits their nominations and for what category, it's not like the academy put her in the supporting acting category.

I can see Viola Davis being a supporting category way more so than Dev Patel

Watched every nominated movie but Hidden Figures. Sad to see that Manchester by the Sea has 0 chance of winning this, it's the best movie I watched all year. Gonna be rooting for La La Land because I also throughly enjoyed it, Moonlight was boring as fuck.

My man Michael Shannon should have more of a chance here, he saved Nocturnal Animals.

I just tried to watch Hidden Figures...shut it off after 45 minutes. Cant believe Costner would waste his time. Only movie I missed was Lion and I will never go out of my way to see that movie.

Loved Manchester but the only thing that bothered me was how unemotional the kid was. Guys fucking dad just died and he couldnt care less.

robotrock

Banned
I just tried to watch Hidden Figures...shut it off after 45 minutes. Cant believe Costner would waste his time. Only movie I missed was Lion and I will never go out of my way to see that movie.

Loved Manchester but the only thing that bothered me was how unemotional the kid was. Guys fucking dad just died and he couldnt care less.

how did u shut off hidden figures after 45 minutes bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom