• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moppeh

Banned
la la land is neat and worth watching. dont get your hopes up, but know its a decently cool movie.

this. once you hit the war scenes hacksaw ridge is pretty good but goddamn that first half can be insanely corny

more like wacksaw ridge

the beginning of the movie made me think I was watching the notebook or some shit

movie was kind of irritatingly earnest

Good to know I'm not the only one. It's frustrating, because I really do adore that second half. It is one hell of a ride.

I think it was really cheap looking. The kid is supposed to be a hard neighborhood and they cast the least threatening bully characters I have ever seen. Movie could have been called "Its Okay To Be Gay: The Little Sharone Story" and aired on basic cable..thats how low budget and simple it felt.

Well, that's certainly an interesting opinion. I would recommend looking past any gripes with the bullies considering they are only a small piece of a very big puzzle. How they look or act shouldn't really take away from Chiron's story, they are mainly there to set up the last few scenes in act two.

"Low budget and simple" definitely aren't words I'd use to describe it. It feels brutally honest and complex, and shows immense cinematic technical skill without being flashy.

EDIT: I guess I'll use this top post for my predictions:

Best Picture
La La Land

Best Director
Damien Chazelle

Best Actor
Casey Affleck

Best Actress
Emma Stone

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis

Best Original Screenplay
Manchester by the Sea

Best Adapted Screenplay
Moonlight

Best Animated Film
Zootopia

Best Foreign Language Film
The Salesman

Best Documentary
O.J.: Made in America

Best Original Score
La La Land

Best Original song
City of Stars

Best Sound Editing
Arrival

Best Sound Mixing
Hacksaw Ridge

Best Production Design
La La Land

Best Cinematography
La La Land

Best Make Up and Hairstyling
Suicide Squad

Best Costume Design
Jackie

Best Editing
Moonlight

Best Visual Effects
Doctor Strange

I'm betting on a pretty big La La Land sweep. It would be nice if some other movies won instead, but I really doubt it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought La La Land was great, but Emma getting Best Actress would probably have me a little salty. I'm rooting for Natalie Portman there. She was putting on an acting class in Jackie. And I don't know how you can watch Fences and not just automatically hand over the Supporting Actress to Viola Davis. I can't even consider anyone else after seeing that performance. Crossing my fingers for Mahershala Ali to get Best Supporting Actor for Moonlight. This would take some of the sting out of it getting snubbed for Best Picture.

Mark my words, Amy Adams is going to get a "Sorry we snubbed you in past years" Oscar within the next 5 years. Sleeping on her for Arrival AND Nocturnal Animals is criminal.

Pachimari

They're gonna show Silent Nights on Danish television before the awards show. I'm looking forward to seeing it and see what it's all about.

I don't have any preference as to who should win best movie as I've seen none of them.

- J - D -

In no fair universe would Emma Stone beat this list, this year:

Natalie Portman, Jackie
Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Ruth Negga, Loving
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

But the Oscars are like a lightyear away from fair so Emma Stone will win because it's Hollywood and she plays a struggling actress who makes it big.

robotrock

Banned
I clicked the stop button!

where can I obtain a copy of hidden figures to watch at home? its the only BP nom I havent watched
Well, that's certainly an interesting opinion. I would recommend looking past any gripes with the bullies considering they are only a small piece of a very big puzzle. How they look or act shouldn't really take away from Chiron's story, they are mainly there to set up the last few scenes in act two.

"Low budget and simple" definitely aren't words I'd use to describe it. It feels brutally honest and complex, and shows immense cinematic technical skill without being flashy.

yeah i loved the way moonlight looked. there's like that cool shot where the camera does a 360 in the beginning and im like...fuck....thats a cool look that i can't achieve solely with after effects. that took talent.

Finally watched La La Land and it was so disappointing I legit cried near the end, and not because the ending scene was sad (it wasn't), but because the whole thing was just bad. Overhyped and so cliched.

I obviously just don't get movies (or the academy) because I don't understand how either Stone or Gosling can be favorites to snag best actress/actor with the other performances in the nominees this year.

You cried because you didn't like a movie? Also Gosling isn't a front runner for best actor has like 0 chance of winning, Stone is because it's kind of a "weaker" year for that category, which is to say her movie is the only one that is nominated for best picture which helps a lot.

Good to know I'm not the only one. It's frustrating, because I really do adore that second half. It is one hell of a ride.

Moonlight was on of the first Oscar-y movies I looked for when I wanted to catch up. Loved the premise and loved all the interviews I saw with Jenkins (DP/30, Hollywood Reporter roundtable). Then I saw it and what i hear and what i saw didnt fit together..this guy is saying hes over in France writing and rewriting to get the story right and then two of the versions of Sharone are these dopey kids who dont say anything. What the hell was Jenkins over there writing?

I did really like the diner scene at the but it wasnt enough at that point.

where can I obtain a copy of hidden figures to watch at home? its the only BP nom I havent watched

yeah i loved the way moonlight looked. there's like that cool shot where the camera does a 360 in the beginning and im like...fuck....thats a cool look that i can't achieve solely with after effects. that took talent.

Go to the Chinese laundry on my corner. 5 bucks a disc.

-EDIT-
Its also on Kodi.

My picks for the Big 6.

Best Picture: La La Land
Best Director: Damien Chazelle
Best Actor: Casey Affleck
Best Actress: Isabelle Huppert
Best Supporting Actor: Dev Patel
Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis

Can anybody explain to me why Ben Foster hasn't even been nominated for Best Supporting Actor? Don't get me wrong, I really love Jeff Bridges, but Foster was the one really killing it with his performance in Hell or High Water. Not that the movie would get any Oscar, much too "down to earth" for the Academy Awards. It's a shame though, was one of the most captivating and carefully crafted movie I've seen in years.

Can anybody explain to me why Ben Foster hasn't even been nominated for Best Supporting Actor? Don't get me wrong, I really love Jeff Bridges, but Foster was the one really killing it with his performance in Hell or High Water. Not that the movie would get any Oscar, much too "down to earth" for the Academy Awards. It's a shame though, was one of the most captivating and carefully crafted movie I've seen in years.

Hes been killing it for years!
Love that guy..especially in Alpha Dog.

Oscars are largely political, not meritorious. When the two venn diagram, it's good, but often studios only have so much money to put towards the campaigning, and so they end up making some... interesting calls as to where their efforts go.

It could also just be that name recognition is a motherfucker, and Jeff Bridges is definitely at the point in his career where if he shows up in a good movie and turns in solid work, he's gonna get awards recognition automatically.

Probably a little bit of both.

That movie was top 3 for me this year.

Jigorath

Banned
My guess:

Picture: Hidden Figures
Director: Chazelle
Actor: Affleck
Actress: Stone
Supporting Actor: Ali
Supporting Actress: Davis

I've made a deal with myself that I won't keep arguing against people that say La La Land is trash and Moonlight is only not winning because of racism from the voters. Both good movies, and LLL is worthy of winning on its own merits. Me and my friends will be taking a shot every time someone makes a politically charged acceptance speech, so I may not make it through the night. Enjoy everyone.

Here's my rankings of the 9 best picture noms by the way:
1. Arrival
2. La La Land
3. Manchester by the Sea
4. Hell or High Water
5. Moonlight
6. Hacksaw Ridge
7. Lion
8. Fences
9. Hidden Figures

My predictions for the main four are,

Affleck
Stone
Ali
Davis

Studios often only campaign certain actors, thus the categories are often stack, and thus only certain actors from certain films (usually the ones with the most acclaim), wind up being nominated.

Schlorgan

Star Trek wins Best Makeup

I can honestly see Vigo Mortensen winning Best Actor

Jungle Book will win Best Visual Effects

Moonlight wins Best Picture

JSevere

seen La La Land, Fences, Moonlight, and Manchester out of the best picture nominees. Moonlight should take best pic, Ali and Davis for supporting actor and actress respectively, Zootopia best animated feature, and Kubo best visual effects, then La La Land can sweep everything else.

cj_iwakura

BEST PICTURE
Will win: La La Land
Should win: La La Land
Should have been nominated: Silence

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Will win: Denzel Washington
Should win: Casey Affleck
Should have been nominated: Joel Edgerton (Loving)

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Will win: Emma Stone
Should win: Isabelle Huppert
Should have been nominated: Amy Adams (Arrival)

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Will win: Mahershala Ali
Should win: Lucas Hedges
Should have been nominated: Ryan Gosling (The Nice Guys)

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Will win: Viola Davis
Should win: Viola Davis
Should have been nominated: Anya Taylor Joy (The Witch)

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Will win: Zootopia
Should win: Moana
Should have been nominated: Your Name

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Should win: Moonlight
Should have been nominated: n/a

COSTUME DESIGN
Will win: Jackie
Should win: Jackie
Should have been nominated: Rogue One

DIRECTING

FILM EDITING
Should have been nominated: Hunt for the Wilderpeople

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Will win: Star Trek Beyond
Should win: Star Trek Beyond

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
Should have been nominated: Moana

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
Will win: City of Stars
Should win: How Far I'll Go
Should have been nominated: Where You Are, Moana

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Should win: Hail, Caesar!

SOUND EDITING
Will win: Hacksaw Ridge
Should win: Hacksaw Ridge
Should have been nominated: Moonlight

SOUND MIXING
Should win: Hacksaw Ridge
Should have been nominated:

VISUAL EFFECTS
Will win: The Jungle Book
Should win: The Jungle Book
Should have been nominated: Moana

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
Will win: Moonlight

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
Will win: Manchester by the Sea
Should win: The Lobster
Should have been nominated: Hunt for the Wilderpeople
You don't think The Witch deserves a cinematography nod? The horror movie struggle. Green Room would be nice too. Definitely for editing.

I thought La La Land was great, but Emma getting Best Actress would probably have me a little salty. I'm rooting for Natalie Portman there. She was putting on an acting class in Jackie. And I don't know how you can watch Fences and not just automatically hand over the Supporting Actress to Viola Davis. I can't even consider anyone else after seeing that performance. Crossing my fingers for Mahershala Ali to get Best Supporting Actor for Moonlight. This would take some of the sting out of it getting snubbed for Best Picture.

Mark my words, Amy Adams is going to get a "Sorry we snubbed you in past years" Oscar within the next 5 years. Sleeping on her for Arrival AND Nocturnal Animals is criminal.

Amy Adams is consistently great and it's a little sad and little funny how often she's sidelined for awards.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If La La Land wins best costume, I will boycott something, not sure what but I'll do it. Don't test me.

Floridian

Can't believe I forgot it was tonight. Thanks OP. We're still getting performances, right? Go LLL.

Justin Timberlake
John Legend
Sting
Lin-Manuel Miranda/Auli'i Cravalho
Sara Bareilles (Memoriam)

Not exactly an exciting performance line up if you ask me, but yeah they'll be there.

Schlorgan

I wish Star Trek got a Visual Effects nod.

One of the best looking movies I've ever seen. A great mix of CG/practical stuff in there.

Best Picture
La La Land

Best Director
Damien Chazelle

Best Actor
Denzel Washington

Best Actress
Emma Stone

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis

Best Original Screenplay
La La Land

Best Adapted Screenplay
Moonlight

Best Animated Film
Zootopia

Best Foreign Language Film
The Salesman

Best Documentary

Best Original Score
La La Land

Best Original song
City of Stars

Best Sound Editing
Hacksaw Ridge

Best Sound Mixing
La La Land

Best Production Design
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Best Cinematography
La La Land

Best Make Up and Hairstyling
Star Trek: Beyond

Best Costume Design
Jackie

Best Editing
La La Land

Best Visual Effects
Jungle Book

LLL total: 9. Basically Slumdog Millionaire + Emma Stone win.

Sean C

Amy Adams is consistently great and it's a little sad and little funny how often she's sidelined for awards.
Adams has been nominated five times since 2005. I believe she's the most nominated performer in that period other than Meryl Streep.

What? No Gosling and Stone? Tell me you're kidding.
John Legend is doing the LLL songs. I know that Stone, at least, was ambivalent about performing onstage.

I wish Star Trek got a Visual Effects nod.

One of the best looking movies I've ever seen. A great mix of CG/practical stuff in there.

I think when it comes to Star Trek & Star Wars, their VFX is almost taken for granted at this point. People just sorta - expect it to look like that. It doesn't register as strongly.

Interested in seeing if La La Land sweeps it as I'm expecting. I've seen almost all of the movies this year. My thoughts overall (a combination of what I'd prefer to win, what I think will win, and what I'd be happy winning):

BEST PICTURE
La La Land*
Moonlight

*I'd be happy with either winning, as I thought they were far and away the best of the Best Picture films, but I personally prefer La La Land and I think it will probably win. Both are worthy winners though.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Natalie Portman, Jackie*

*I'd be happy with either as winners, but Huppert I think is more well-deserving here. Ultimately though I think the movie itself will serve as a barrier to her taking the Oscar so it'll probably go to Portman, which isn't so bad since her performance is the pillar of the whole movie.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Viola Davis, Fences

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Kubo and the Two Strings
The Red Turtle
Zootopia*

*I'd be happy with either Kubo or Red Turtle winning, but Zootopia has this on lockdown and will certainly win it.

CINEMATOGRAPHY
La La Land

COSTUME DESIGN
Jackie
La La Land*

*I think it's between these two, and I think La La Land will probably win it. The Costume Design in Fantastic Beasts was great, but Jackie and La La Land were phenomenal in this department and I think Jackie is limited here by its scope.

DIRECTING
La La Land

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)

FILM EDITING
La La Land

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The Salesman*
Toni Erdmann

*I much prefer Toni Erdmann, and I'd prefer it to win, but I think The Salesman is the more likely winner here.

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Suicide Squad

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
La La Land

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
"Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" from La La Land
"City Of Stars" from La La Land*

*I think City of Stars will win, but I vastly prefer The Fools Who Dream and feels it's a much stronger song, especially in the context of the movie.

PRODUCTION DESIGN
La La Land

SOUND EDITING
Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land

I think any would be deserving winners here. Hacksaw Ridge is the one I think should win it, but I can't really call this.

SOUND MIXING
Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land

I think any would be deserving winners here. Hackshaw Ridge probably deserves it the most, but I'd say La La Land is going to win.

VISUAL EFFECTS
The Jungle Book

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
Arrival
Moonlight*

*Either would be worthy winners, but I think Moonlight not only deserves to win, but probably will.

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
Manchester by the Sea

---

My ranking of the Best Picture movies (currently) is:

1. La La Land
2. Moonlight
-
3. Manchester by the Sea
4. Arrival
5. Hell or High Water
6. Fences
7. Hidden Figures
-
8. Lion
9. Hacksaw Ridge

The top two I'm certain of in regards to their ordering, 3 to 7 I'm less confident on (mainly Hell or High Water, Fences, and Hidden Figures; Hidden Figures I think is much closer to Lion than the others but I've seen it too recently to be certain), but Lion and Hacksaw Ridge I'm definitely certain of their placement.

EDIT: Oh and I have to agree that Silence not being nominated for anything is ridiculous.

kingocfs

La La Land for Best Picture, Affleck for best actor, Stone for best Actress, Bridges for supporting actor, Davis for supporting actress, Zootopia for animated feature, La La Land for Cinematography, Hacksaw Ridge for direction, Arrival for editing, Suicide Squad for makeup, La La Land for music, Fantastic Beasts for production design, The Jungle Book for visual effects, Hidden Figures for adapted writing, The Lobster for original writing.

My bets.

Pretty much in line with my thoughts. Wouldn't be surprised to see Moonlight get shut out.

Eleuin

Going to be so
gB2eAxz.png
when la la land sweeps

Floridian

nin1000

Banned
Since it's still some time until the oscars are going to start I wanted to ask you guys what kind of snacks and beverages you are going to take in.

I prepared myself for this evening with some packages of snyeders honey mustard pretzel pieces aswell as bottle of wine for me and my girlfriend.

How about the rest of you ?
Share your snacks for the evening :3

As far as oscar predictions go, I just want moonlight to take home best film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom